Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Branis posted:

How do you propose seriously removing 300 million guns? It would be cheaper and more effective to fix mental health and a host of other social problems than to get rid of guns. Not to mention that as long as capitalism exists the people should never be disarmed.

Round all the guns up, humanely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Trying to ban guns would be as effective as banning drugs.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

in like every post you preach towards the uselessness of a CCW and the funny part is that i doubt you're even aware of what you're saying
What am I saying?

I'm pretty sure I was saying that it was blindingly obvious that concealed carry couldn't have an effect on crime, but it's possible I was really talking about hit Broadway musical Cats!

Please forums superstar Popular Thug Drink, help me!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Branis posted:

How do you propose seriously removing 300 million guns?

Considering as most guns are owned by small numbers of hoarders, or are antiques/barely working old guns that someone's grandpa owned, it's pretty simple.

Offer gun buybacks so someone can make a some quick cash on finally getting rid of some lunk of metal they never use, and raid the hoarders and you'll sweep out most of them quickly.

After all those supposed 300 million guns are owned by less than 125 million people, possibly as low as 100 million people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Branis posted:

How do you propose seriously removing 300 million guns? It would be cheaper and more effective to fix mental health and a host of other social problems than to get rid of guns. Not to mention that as long as capitalism exists the people should never be disarmed.

punch cards. turn in ten guns and you get a free coffee drink.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Pie charts are extremely my poo poo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Armyman25 posted:

Trying to ban guns would be as effective as banning drugs.

Why are there many countries with successful gun control and complete failure of drug control, and vice versa? Here are some of my ideas:

Somebody who isn't going to use a gun isn't going to go through the hassle, someone who is going to use a gun will alert others to the fact that they have a firearm and get caught.

Guns are much more likely to be caught when transported because it's harder to spread them around and hide them in ways that make it less than clear that they are guns or parts of a gun.

The markup for drugs is insane, while even if you illegalized firearms the demand would be limited, since people don't need to constantly buy more and more guns to have guns, while drugs are a habit that constantly needs to be replenished.

Shooting up and shooting are simply in no way comparable, and the pipelines look nothing alike.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You see everyone will simply forge their own guns in their homes with ample supplies of steel, just like you can grow some pot in a closet with a couple of lightbulbs as a lazy 16 year old.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Take a gun, leave a gun trays at all cash registers but "take a gun" is crossed out.

Edit: lol if you haven't gotten through airport security with a balloon filled with guns shoved up your rear end.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Take a gun, leave a gun trays at all cash registers but "take a gun" is crossed out.

Edit: lol if you haven't gotten through airport security with a balloon filled with guns shoved up your rear end.

Why are you arming fast food places?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Spaceman Future! posted:

yes, please post the numbers that indicate gun control increases violent crime.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Confiscating all guns is easy. First you just need to pass a law that can't be challenged in court confiscating all guns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why are there many countries with successful gun control and complete failure of drug control, and vice versa? Here are some of my ideas:

Somebody who isn't going to use a gun isn't going to go through the hassle, someone who is going to use a gun will alert others to the fact that they have a firearm and get caught.

Guns are much more likely to be caught when transported because it's harder to spread them around and hide them in ways that make it less than clear that they are guns or parts of a gun.

The markup for drugs is insane, while even if you illegalized firearms the demand would be limited, since people don't need to constantly buy more and more guns to have guns, while drugs are a habit that constantly needs to be replenished.

Shooting up and shooting are simply in no way comparable, and the pipelines look nothing alike.

The real answer's probably demand, and a shifted definition of what counts as "control". If you want a gun, you can probably get one (it's not like mobsters in Germany are just stabbing people).

Also I'm guessing your reference for successful gun control countries are Europe and some Anglosphere nations?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Numbers of guns go down but abortion rate goes up?

drat we just can't win.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
We have 35 days.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I want to hear more from the people who think it's even remotely realistic to round up all the guns. :allears:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Burn it all!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I want to hear more from the people who think it's even remotely realistic to round up all the guns. :allears:

They won't have to. In the end the guns will come crawling to us.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Why are we taking about gun control during a mass shooting?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

After all those supposed 300 million guns are owned by less than 125 million people, possibly as low as 100 million people.

100-125 million people does not look much less daunting than 300 million.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

No gives a poo poo if a few are left lying around. Not to mention there's going to be tons that are still legal to own under even a very stringent gun control regime, like Australia has. You know they have more gun owners by proportion then 2 or 3 US states?

Northjayhawk posted:

100-125 million people does not look much less daunting than 300 million.

Sure, if you're ignorant. The intent of the scare number of 300 million guns is to imply that nearly everyone has guns, when it's somewhere closer to 35 to 40%, and many of those aren't active gun users, just people who have an heirloom.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Actually, the NRA et al are trying to ban voluntary buy-back programs.

Because you know, even just getting a single gun off the street when the owner wants to get rid of it is too much.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/15/nras_threats_over_gun_buyback_tied_to_alec_legislation/

quote:

When an NRA official threatened legal action over the destruction of guns from a gun buyback event, he cited an Arizona law that sprung from a partnership between the NRA and the American Legislative Exchange Council, the conservative shop that pushes model legislation in state legislatures across the nation.

It began earlier this month in Tucson, Ariz., when city officials organized a gun buyback to mark the two-year anniversary of the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. Locals turned over their guns to law enforcement, and got a $50 Safeway gift card for each gun in return. Officials wound up destroying a total of 212 guns.

Before the guns were destroyed, Todd Rathner, an Arizona lobbyist and NRA national board member, threatened to file a lawsuit. “We do believe that it is illegal for them to destroy those guns,” he told NPR. “If property has been abandoned to the police, then they are required by ARS 12-945 to sell it to a federally licensed firearms dealer, and that’s exactly what they should do.”

The Tucson city attorney called Rathner’s interpretation a misreading of the law, and the city went ahead with destroying the guns anyway. Rathner, for his part, told the Arizona Daily Star: “If we can pass legislation faster, we’ll pass a law that says we’ll charge the city of Tucson and the Police Department some exorbitant amount of money for every firearm they destroy.” He added: “We’ll pursue it either through litigation or legislation.”

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
So is anyone watching Obama talking? Cause he's really laying it down.

"Does ANYONE really believe that?"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Branis posted:

How do you propose seriously removing 300 million guns?

A giant magnet.:colbert:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sure, if you're ignorant. The intent of the scare number of 300 million guns is to imply that nearly everyone has guns, when it's somewhere closer to 35 to 40%, and many of those aren't active gun users, just people who have an heirloom.

I don't think anyone on this forum seriously believes nearly everyone has a gun. 100-125 million is still a loving gigantic number of people.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

pathetic little tramp posted:

And yeah that guy is in his 30s, I mean look at him, shooter was 20.

What's this in response to Biden saying?

Why does this guy have time to draft a letter to the VP instead of dealing with a mass shooting?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Obama asking news organizations to make list of Americans who have died from terrorist attacks and then compare it to a list of Americans who have died from gun violence, so that it won't be seen as biased information coming from him.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Northjayhawk posted:

I don't think anyone on this forum seriously believes nearly everyone has a gun. 100-125 million is still a loving gigantic number of people.

When you get into the statistics, the US has the largest number of guns per capita ahead leaps and bounds ahead of Serbia.

But we still have the highest number of gun fatalities outside of a war zone.

Just can't figure it out.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Uhhhh I dunno about this one, how much of TFR do you read?

Obama is killing it in this presser.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Northjayhawk posted:

Not really, since many of them wouldn't really give a poo poo about giving up their guns, so long as they get paid.

Basically the people who you'd really have to force a small fraction of that, especially when you take out all the people who would qualify to keep some or all of their guns under harsh Australia-like regulations - for instance, farmers.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
There's also no real registry of guns so it would be next to impossible to track down the 100 million gun owners.

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary."- Karl Marx

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

Obama asking news organizations to make list of Americans who have died from terrorist attacks and then compare it to a list of Americans who have died from gun violence, so that it won't be seen as biased information coming from him.

Liberal Media! I knew it!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SubponticatePoster posted:

Make part of the gun buying process similar to what Republicans keep trying to do with abortion. First, you have to see pictures of victims of mass shootings and audio recordings of the screams of the dying. Then get something randomly shoved up your rear end - you must consent to this or else you're not allowed to purchase a firearm. Then after all that you still have to come back and speak with a counselor twice more with a waiting period of 48 hours in between sessions. Also regulate the stores that sell firearms down to the nails used in construction, make sure the seller has admitting privileges at a local hospital (in case something goes wrong), they can't be within 1000 ft of a school or church, and the name of everyone that buys a gun is posted in the local paper. Oh, and they have to recommend alternatives, like slingshots and paintball/airsoft.

I mean, we're not making buying a gun illegal, we're doing it for the health and safety of the buyer. If it's not a legitimate gun purchase we have ways of shutting that whole thing down!

(For the record I own guns, like shooting them and don't think they should be outright banned but I have no problem with strict regulation)

This is also a spectacular post, I will be using this. :hfive:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FourLeaf posted:

Instead it will be seen as biased information coming from the left-wing media!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Branis posted:

There's also no real registry of guns so it would be next to impossible to track down the 100 million gun owners.

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary."- Karl Marx

Other than the fact that gun owners love ranting on easily traced online forums and the like, and the fact the non-nuts would happily take their guns to a suitably enticing buyback. :rolleyes:

Karl Marx was wrong about a ton of things, like his preferred theory of value, the so called oriental mode of production, and guns.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not really, since many of them wouldn't really give a poo poo about giving up their guns, so long as they get paid.

I very strongly disagree with this, I'm not sure what part of the country you grew up in, but you may have a regional bias. If we're talking about abolition of all handguns in the country I think that is a very long, difficult 2 generation endeavor where people have to slowly grow up with a diminishing gun culture and a gradually increasing gun control culture, and perhaps in 50 years hardly anyone will care anymore.

However, if a nationwide handgun confiscation was attempted anytime in the near future, I believe it is one of the only things that could break the Republic.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Branis posted:

I had an answer all typed up and accidentally lost it.

However it boils down to: "I don't know the full answer." Nobody does. But to stick your fingers in your ears and go "LA LA LA GUN CONTROL IS NOT THE ANSWER LA LA LA" helps nothing. If you don't know what the solution is then you don't know what the solution is NOT either.

I imagine, however, that it exists in several parts:

Eliminating the form of capitalism as we know it or find a way to eliminate wealth disparity. I imagine both go hand in hand. Poverty begets desperation begets violence.

Fix our mental health programs and de-stigmatize mental health problems.

Eliminate the manufacture of guns for consumer use going forward and incentivize the voluntary return of guns. Make all existing guns non-transferable and unable to be passed on as a gift or inheritance upon the owners death. There's not short term solution... it's going to have to be a long term plan to slowly remove most existing guns. You can't just go round them up so you need to find a way for them to "die out" with their owners.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

What's this in response to Biden saying?

Why does this guy have time to draft a letter to the VP instead of dealing with a mass shooting?

Look at the date on the letter

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Maybe if several thousand people died in a single shooting at NRA headquarters but apart from that, nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There is over 300 million capitalists in America, you can't realistically expect to get rid of capitalism!

• Locked thread