Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

These jackasses. We literally have to bring our laptops and work on a loving 3 hour flight to this conference because some rear end in a top hat manager halfway across the country bitched that it's not fair that he's forcing his team to bring laptops and others aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

1500quidporsche posted:

These jackasses. We literally have to bring our laptops and work on a loving 3 hour flight to this conference because some rear end in a top hat manager halfway across the country bitched that it's not fair that he's forcing his team to bring laptops and others aren't.
It's always a bastard when you leave your power cable in your luggage and haven't charged the battery.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

It's always a bastard when you leave your power cable in your luggage and haven't charged the battery.

Oh poo poo boss sorry, my laptop is in my luggage and my carry-on solely consists of The Martian

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh poo poo boss sorry, my laptop is in my luggage and my carry-on solely consists of The Martian

This is pretty close to what I'm considering doing. Forgetting the power cord all together and I magically left it on since last night without plugging it in.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If they get pissed ask if you work for a fascist regime or a modern company

god drat do i realize how spoiled i am at my internship/job when you guys talk about your jobs

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Get the bill really wet, curl it and jam it in a pint glass overnight?

Nah, they're physically larger and look even more dumb when bent.

It's gonna be my "use instead of bandanna when garage is hot" hat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

god drat do i realize how spoiled i am at my internship/job when you guys talk about your jobs

It's what I get for working for a financial institution after my mom did when I was a kid and warned me how badly they will treat employees.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i wear flat bills and 90's snapbacks from the thrift shop, if you wear the flat bills backwards they're way more comfortable since imo the only time you should wear them with the bill facing frontward is if you bend the bill up and write something across the bottom of it

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

i'm kind of jelly of my wife because as a Labour and Delivery nurse in hospital full time is 3 twelve hour shifts per week

like god drat i would kill to have 4 days a week to do whatever the gently caress i want

That sounds horrifying to me. I need 5 days a week where I have to have certain hours of the day I can't be hosed up during

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
gently caress the world

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

1500quidporsche posted:

... how badly they will treat employees.

This is one of the biggest lessons I've learned in my working life. Find a company that values their employees, and stay there if you like the work.

I could make an instant $10k, maybe even $20k raise by jumping to a different company, but I've never worked anywhere in my life that treats people as good as my current company, so I really don't want to leave, even if I would like to make more money.

Maybe I'll learn another of life's hard lessons someday when this company dicks me over, but so far I'm pretty happy here, and the people are great to work with, so I'm just hoping that this place works out as the final place I ever work. Hell, with it taking me until I was 45 to land here, maybe I finally got it right, who knows.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving hell

there's an ASME meeting after my class tonight

i really ought to go seeing as i'm a junior ME with no connections (because community college) but i dont know if i have the mental fortitude atm

that and i've been up since 10am yesterday and it runs til 9pm tonight

go/no go?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

go/no go?
If you go, you still can leave, or fall asleep there.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress yeah, it's hurricane time. I got notified that I don't have to go to work tomorrow because this whole area floods like crazy, and Joaquin won't even be here until Monday. Last thing I did today was wrap my computer and desk in plastic wrap.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tusen Takk posted:

i wear flat bills and 90's snapbacks from the thrift shop, if you wear the flat bills backwards they're way more comfortable since imo the only time you should wear them with the bill facing frontward is if you bend the bill up and write something across the bottom of it

And you drive an Ion. See the connection?

It's a flat bill snap back, to make it even better. I'll stick to my decade old Longhorns hat that is literally falling apart.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

And you drive an Ion. See the connection?

It's a flat bill snap back, to make it even better. I'll stick to my decade old Longhorns hat that is literally falling apart.

I'm also 24 so there are many lurking variables in this :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Locator posted:

This is absolutely true. However, in 5 years, or 10, or 6 months.. Someone that you worked with that noticed how reliable you were, may be in a position to hire someone, and think of you.
Networking is so important it's stupid. If it wasn't for that and working my rear end off as a temp in college (got that temp job through networking) I wouldn't be where I am now. My background and degree isn't even loving close to what I'm doing but they knew I would work to learn the stuff asap so they gambled on me.

Enourmo posted:

sorry for making GBS threads up the chat thread everybody
As others have said this is the thread for it. Don't worry pretty much everyone has vented here or will at some point. poo poo I know I have several times.

The Locator posted:

This is one of the biggest lessons I've learned in my working life. Find a company that values their employees, and stay there if you like the work.
Another truth here. Don't chase a higher paycheck, you'll end up miserable or hosed when layoffs come around. A company that actually values it's employees is worth a lot. I've had stupid offers that I've turned down because I like the company and they're great to work for.

Enourmo posted:

there's an ASME meeting after my class tonight - go/no go?
GO this is where you make those connections. I was lazy/unmotivated my first few years and didn't do any of that stuff, it was stupid.

Always love sitting in on meetings when I have no purpose of being there. Customer was happy to see me there but it was really just for show. I fly out Saturday and even though I might be back I won't be working on their systems in the mean time unless they have a very very specialized problem that I can help with.

I'm going to miss the food and weather in the Oakland

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm also 24 so there are many lurking variables in this :)

I'm only 28.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Sup.

1. You're focused on the past. Think of yourself in five years. Does you+5 have a degree or not? None of the past poo poo matters. gently caress the past. The present is a nice place to be.

2. You're still focused on the past. The filter between you and the world needs to change so you stop doing this. It comes out in your narrative, and druggie-you should totally understand that the way you perceive the world is not set in stone. Maybe you don't realize that you can change it without drugs, but I'm telling you it's completely possible. Seek meditation.

3. You're angry because you care about succeeding in life and making something out of it. That is part of what makes you a good person, so just put your actions where your thoughts are. You'll learn entropy in thermo. Fight the entropy you're currently mad at.

4. PM me if you'd like circuits help. I just went through the same class this summer so it's fresh on my mind. Totally serious about this.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
God damnit AI we're gonna have a good October despite you shitlords.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
No you shut the gently caress up with your nice house and gold plated thread and roomate dadAdiabatic! :fist:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

gently caress YOU BALTIMORE
E:

quote:

Sticking my dick in crazy made me the man I am today!
___________________/

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 1, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WziOF4R2M

I need to make this happen this winter.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've only done it on bikes, but ice racing is incredibly fun (if you have warm gear)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I lost my job and my marriage within 10 days last September and I'm still kind of picking up the pieces. I had to suck up my pride and move back in with my parents at age 31, which was an extra kick in the beanbag. Last fall/winter was truly one of the darkest times of my life, but I'm finally emotionally and mentally ready to pick up the pieces and start over from scratch. I get to spend lots of time with my kids (obviously I'd like more, but I'll take what I can get) and I have a great girlfriend now. I'm also ready to move on from the placeholder job I've got right now. It pays my bills, but not by much. I kinda like working on laundry equipment, but I'll never be able to move out if I keep on working there.

So that's where I'm at. Basically starting from square one. I did a lot of kicking, screaming, and gnashing of teeth before I finally pulled myself together and started working out, which really helped my emotional and physical well-being. I almost let my despair get the best of me last year, but I fought through and found the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm pretty sure it isn't a train at this point.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hah, weird this conversation is happening now because Im seriously thinking about taking classes this winter to start on an engineering degree. Ive always wanted to do it and at 35 theres no better time than now to start. Ill never give up my lawn mowing business since I like it so much but Ill just have other people do the work besides the high end places that I do. Plus if I ever get maimed or whatever itd be awesome to have something to fall back on.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Oh man, the way people react to this loving Taurus on the roads is just too loving hilarious.

Adiabatic posted:

It is going to be a good October. Here's why:

-Even though work has slowed a ton for me due to the collapse of oil prices, I am still making some money, my on the side job is busier than it ever has been (working at a gym), so they need me more than the one or two shifts a week I was working.

-The slowdown hasn't affected the aviation non-profit I also work and volunteer part-time for; in fact they are making noises that they want to hire me full time soon. Flying old WWII airplanes for a living? Don't mind if I do. :getin:

-I am looking forward to the next AI Automation car design challenge in a big way...it should be a lot of fun!

-Baseball playoffs. My team is out, so I'm bandwagoning hard on the Mets.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I went back to school at 35 after taking 15 years off to focus on my industry. When I was 33 I felt like I was just going through the motions, showing up, doing my thing, then leaving every day. I got complacent, I got bored, but more importantly there was no upward mobility without going back to school. That was ultimately my decision for going back and I'm glad I did, new doors started opening for me and I'm now further than I was before. I'll be starting a masters program in January which I'm sure will help me further, mostly because I can meet new contacts since it's more of a global program.

Advice to anybody else going back to school, take whatever you can at a cheaper accredited institution, then transfer it to a 4 year. Don't buy into the bullshit of going straight to 4 year for the prestige or whatever ego stroking bullshit reason they give you, it's all a numbers game. What will give you the bang for your buck? They play the game, you should too. The game you need to play is what will ultimately benefit you the most in your bank account.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

gently caress you I'mma have a great October.
Started at a gym to get myself less out-of-shape.
Have a fun hobby.
Going to start working on reno'ing the house.

poo poo is good.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Wow... AI goes back to school. I'm getting sick of my job as well, so starting soon I am getting back to welding. I enjoy it, I plan to work in a shop or something similar.

I already have the 4 year degree thing, but I find office work hell. I'd rather stab myself in the dick than sit at a desk.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Back to school dream team. I read here to learn more about cars to fix my own, and to sometimes share stories of my side gig in auto parts retail. What I do for a living (teach middle school) is not auto related, but I felt like chiming in. I'm going back to finish an education degree. It'll be a second masters or a doctorate, and at the least a jump in pay as a teacher.... Possibly as an assistant principal or principal.

Point is, years ago I would never have even thought about this path. It's all baby steps and working on being better tomorrow than today. Be honest with yourself and abilities, then look to improve. You aren't a 100% poo poo person, so start with that and go forward.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ugh, popped a rib out of place working in the yard this morning. Don't ask me how, I dunno how I did it. Stood up and it was like someone stabbed me in the upper back. I know SA is not big on chiropractic, but I have a friend who is a chiro and while I usually rib him (:haw:) about it, I got desperate and called him. A 15 minute drive and everything is back into place. I'm still a little tender but at least I'm functional again. We'll see what the next few days hold.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OCTOBER gently caress YEAH GONNA MAKE SOME ONION RINGS.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

OCTOBER gently caress YEAH GONNA BLOW MAKE SOME O NION RINGS.

Fixed for you

:colbert:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Enourmo posted:

basically i'm loving pissed off

pissed off that i can't go back and time andwhip loving teenage dipshit me onto a path that might actually benefit me

or at least get "him" to stop hanging out with dipshits who get you into drugs, mooch off you, then literally beat you down when you try and stand up for yourself

i have made so many bad decisions in life that where others look back fondly on their childhood/early adult years, all i see is whit hot blinding rage at would could have been, what i HAD HANDED TO ME and threw the gently caress away like a piece of poo poo who deserves to be burned alive for wasting his loving potential

i regret literally everything i've ever done in my entire life and making any different choice would have been an improvement

give me time travel so i can fix my loving life cause i'm pretty sure it's too late now
You know when people say "don't do drugs" and the idiot kid they are talking to says "shut up old man"?
Yeah, this poo poo is why.

Hope you find something that works better for you. :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

using drugs is fine as long as you have self control, just like alcohol

not all drugs give you much of a say about how much self control you have, though

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in other news, i'm not sure if I like R more than Matlab, but both are annoying as gently caress

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

October owns, it's time to make a gallon of hard cider per week.

5-6 bucks a gallon plus a bit of lager yeast and the all I have to do is wait 3 to 4 weeks

I need to do this. The store-bought stuff gets expensive.

Tusen Takk posted:

My class did that too

At the time i was thinking "hey maybe i should have gone for computer engineer/EE instead of CSE" but that class showed me i'm not worthy of the title

I could do basic circuit analysis pretty well. Electromagnetics and some of the other advanced stuff ate my lunch so I switched to CSE, then CSE showed me how much I hate programming. Never did finish. I should have gone with ME. I'm 46 now. Maybe I'll go back. IT pays the bills, but can be frustrating.

I'm on vacation this week - not gone anywhere, just enjoying not working and sleeping when I want. Just finished the story in the Mad Max game, despite an update or autosave issue killing my ability to see the frigging map. I'd love to finish out all the collectibles/loot locations, etc., but that's tough with NO MAP. Map still works in a new game under another profile (Xbox One,) so no idea what the hell happened. Ending was... meh, but I still love driving the cars around. Back to finishing Just Cause 2 and Batman: Arkham Origins now, I guess, as far as gaming. Going out into the garage to build a subwoofer box for my Crown Vic now. I've got a generic square one in there now that I built just to test the volume and speaker, and it's taking up half the trunk well. The custom one will fit up on the shelf next to the spare tire. Nothing fancy, just sized and shaped to fit the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I need to do this. The store-bought stuff gets expensive.

I could do basic circuit analysis pretty well. Electromagnetics and some of the other advanced stuff ate my lunch so I switched to CSE, then CSE showed me how much I hate programming. Never did finish. I should have gone with ME. I'm 46 now. Maybe I'll go back. IT pays the bills, but can be frustrating.

I'm on vacation this week - not gone anywhere, just enjoying not working and sleeping when I want. Just finished the story in the Mad Max game, despite an update or autosave issue killing my ability to see the frigging map. I'd love to finish out all the collectibles/loot locations, etc., but that's tough with NO MAP. Map still works in a new game under another profile (Xbox One,) so no idea what the hell happened. Ending was... meh, but I still love driving the cars around. Back to finishing Just Cause 2 and Batman: Arkham Origins now, I guess, as far as gaming. Going out into the garage to build a subwoofer box for my Crown Vic now. I've got a generic square one in there now that I built just to test the volume and speaker, and it's taking up half the trunk well. The custom one will fit up on the shelf next to the spare tire. Nothing fancy, just sized and shaped to fit the space.

I don't mind programming, but I feel like uni hasn't prepared me for the poo poo I see at my internship and I kind of hope that companies will notice that I am extremely not nerdy, have fantastic social skills, and pay me a dece six and a half figgies to manage all the spergy nerds that are better at programming and reading algorithms than i am.

Based on what my friends say, they like you fresh out of uni knowing the concepts so they can train you in how they want you to write their code, and as long as i'm making above a certain amount of money and not working more than 40hrs/wk I don't really care about moving up. I'd rather have that time and energy for my family.

• Locked thread