Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pooch Café

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7HmltUWXgs

That reminds me, I never did find a good source for year one Wizard of Id. Or, more accurately, I never looked for one.

Ballard Street

And the feeling came as quickly as it went. The ball bounced away, never to be played with by a human being again. (Some dogs got ahold of it and played with it forever)

The Creeps

This is such a good strip.

Lost Side of Suburbia

poo poo is getting so real, you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015

Skippy (August 2, 1928)

His slogan is "For the voter who just wants to see it all burn." :unsmigghh:

Peanuts radiates an aura unearned confidence. (October 3, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean does the same. The difference is that Sparky did it on purpose.

"Les was the greatest gift I ever received. What can I say, I had some crappy Christmases."

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way goes into 1928! Frederick Griffith proves the existence of DNA! Sonia Henie wins her first Olympic gold! W2XB! Elliot Ness! A bunch of other things you'll never remember because 1929 screwed the pooch massively!

(January 2-3, 1928)

Thimble Theater disappoints gunplay enthusiasts yet again. (April 19, 1929)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

T-that horse is just sleeping, right? :ohdear:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jesus loving Christ. "I doubt you could love him as much as I did, person I'll never meet and know nothing about."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Good plan olive Oyl, whoever wants to kill you will definitely just leave it be if you destroy the money they want.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean does the same. The difference is that Sparky did it on purpose.

"Les was the greatest gift I ever received. What can I say, I had some crappy Christmases."

"Les is an even better gift than my own daughter Summer. Oh, wait, I shouldn't have said that. How do I cut that part out? Rewind it and do the whole thing over again? Forget it, just make sure this tape never gets seen by anybody."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's never been about Lisa sainthood, it's been about Les.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I can no longer tell if Batiuk legitimately thinks this vile poo poo is somehow endearing or if he's been secretly reading this thread and other sources of internet critique for years and has only now unleashed a devastating salvo designed specifically to break them all at once.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SomeMathGuy posted:

I can no longer tell if Batiuk legitimately thinks this vile poo poo is somehow endearing or if he's been secretly reading this thread and other sources of internet critique for years and has only now unleashed a devastating salvo designed specifically to break them all at once.

Plot idea: Les struggles to get a pizza named after Lisa at the pizza parlor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Topped with pork products made exclusively from pigs that died of cancer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie
That's tumore

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

I do enjoy Mary Worth's floating heads.

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

"No, of course not! She'll die eventually."

Secret Agent X-9 is not here today because Comics Kingdom has that same one from the other day up again.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Not only did my (drunken) angry letter to the editor get published, Pastis himself noticed :aaaaa:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

coronatae posted:

Not only did my (drunken) angry letter to the editor get published, Pastis himself noticed :aaaaa:
Do you have the whole thing? :v:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Click on the picture for the full text. My only regret is not spellchecking. I was just so angry at Funky Winkerbean

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel posted:

It's actually Les wearing Lisa's face as a mask.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

coronatae posted:

Pearls before Swine is [...] like the Simpsons, a self referential stew with [...] comedic value

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
PBS is awesome usually at least once a week thanks to the Punday comic strip.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Rap music, my droogs

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I love Namor's angry submarine.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

coronatae posted:

Haha I suspected that was someone from this thread when I saw that after Pastis posted it on facebook, but then I thought "Nah you're being ridiculous what are the odds?" Pretty good, apparently.

I used to think PBS was one of the best and I still enjoy it but I think it's reaching (or has reached) the end of where Pastis can go with it. Now it just seems to run through the motions 90% of the time. I go through the old collections and they still make me laugh, and there's a good one here and there still, and personally I enjoy the Sunday puns because I just do. He seems to be a good guy to fans too, which I like. Of all the comics to complain about I think it's pretty low on the list of godawful comic strips that have gone on too long.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I loved PBS when it first started being published but my tolerance for puns and the fourth-wall breaking he does at the end of those strips is pretty low. I emailed him today letting him know that while he's not my favorite, I appreciate that he does work hard on those puns. He's a nice guy, responded really quickly too. I've always respected him even if I'm not a big fan.

Seeing people get mad about this has been really fun. I'm going to make a drinking game out of all the comments, and hopefully not get so drunk I write another caustic letter to the editor.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I think PBS's main problem is that it's new enough that its consistently good period is still pretty fresh in the mind, whereas a lot of the blander comics were good so long ago (Or were bland enough to begin with) that there's not much for them to pale in comparison to. When I think of outright bad newspaper comics it doesn't even occur to me as a candidate, though that could come down to personal biases.

Also, just nthing the Sunday pun love. It's almost like a game to see if you can figure out the Rube Goldberg-like machinations before the punchline.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Where are they that the scenery changes so randomly? Are they standing on the back of a pickup being driven around town? In front of one of those ye olde movie style rolling scenery boards? Are they wandering aimlessly stopping to chat about a sick friend who is in the hospital whose bedside they are mysteriously absent from?!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

They're caught squarely in the middle of Frank Bolle's inability to remember where a scene is set.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

I think PBS's main problem is that it's new enough that its consistently good period is still pretty fresh in the mind, whereas a lot of the blander comics were good so long ago (Or were bland enough to begin with) that there's not much for them to pale in comparison to. When I think of outright bad newspaper comics it doesn't even occur to me as a candidate, though that could come down to personal biases.

Also, just nthing the Sunday pun love. It's almost like a game to see if you can figure out the Rube Goldberg-like machinations before the punchline.

I think Pastis ought to just go Sundays only like Amend or Trudeau. He doesn't seem to have enough ideas for the daily strip, but he still produces a good one now and then.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I do enjoy Mary Worth's floating heads.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

coronatae posted:

Seeing people get mad about this has been really fun. I'm going to make a drinking game out of all the comments, and hopefully not get so drunk I write another caustic letter to the editor.

Here, have a shot on me.

The blank, frozen, faces and bodies drive me into an unending rage.
It's like a 4th grade play. Everyone staring straight out, and giving wooden, stilted recitation.

" behold the seven brides for the seven brothers"

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Well, at least he's following prize rules :shrug:

Fingerpori

Classic Dilbert

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I was curious if Batiuk's obsession with St Lisa of the Cancer had anything to do with him personally losing someone to cancer. [Full disclosure: I lost my mom to cancer last year, and I find his years of exploring the sensitive issues milking the subject for "drama" to be poorly-handled, at best, and creepy and offensive... uh, also at best.]

While his Wikipedia entry (the Batiuk one, not Funkywinkerbean's) mentioned nothing of the sort, it did have this mind-blowing bit:

wikipedia posted:

His stories often involve strong drama elements combined with generally rosy outcomes.

quote:

strong drama elements combined with generally rosy outcomes

quote:

generally rosy outcomes

WHAT. Are we even talking about the same strip, wherein no one finds joy or satisfaction in life; only pain, illness, depression, punctuated by the occasional weary smug-face?

I've never edited Wikipedia before, and lack the caustic wit many folks in this thread possess. So I'll leave this to someone else, but... you know what needs to be done, thread.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I was curious if Batiuk's obsession with St Lisa of the Cancer had anything to do with him personally losing someone to cancer. [Full disclosure: I lost my mom to cancer last year, and I find his years of exploring the sensitive issues milking the subject for "drama" to be poorly-handled, at best, and creepy and offensive... uh, also at best.]

Tom Batiuk did the first round of Lisa's breast cancer just as a PSA, the same reason he decided to shoehorn in teenage pregnancy and attempted suicide. It wasn't until after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2003 that he decided to kill Lisa off with cancer recurrence because DRAMA!

Back To B.C.

Pogo (October 1-2, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (May 25-27, 1953)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

:eng101: It used to be that when a person died, his or her family would hang a black piece of cloth called a crepe (or "crape" if you're old-timey) on the doorknob of their house. This would alert any potential visitors that the family inside is in mourning, so behave accordingly. Evidently, if the deceased was a child, a white crepe would be used instead.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So wait, hang on.

Did Florin's plan rely entirely on the newspaper checking the stories starting from the top of the mostly-fake list?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

SomeMathGuy posted:

They're caught squarely in the middle of Frank Bolle's inability to remember where a scene is set.

That and his clipart folder apparently doesn't contain any of the inside of a hospital.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

If anyone's been following these, I'm sorry about the extended delay. I think I've finally sorted out the problems I ran into, so here we go:

On the last episode of Newspaper Mickey Mouse (1935-1935), the mysterious pirate submarine had absconded with the entire ship's crew and mickey was unwittingly successful at tracking it down:

And now, the thrilling continuation!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

"Nooki Sue". :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 10/2/2004

Dual Zits

Kevin & Kell

Comics Kingdom is broken again this morning, so Mark Trail later I guess.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Tina's Groove

Compu-Toon

I think you posted Compu-toon twice by accident,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zereth posted:

So wait, hang on.

Did Florin's plan rely entirely on the newspaper checking the stories starting from the top of the mostly-fake list?

He figured they'd be too hungry to take him down to do proper fact-checking, so yes.

• Locked thread