Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well, if you really want a fully complete red key set, you also need the crimson Hurricanger and all of the red line changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pyroi posted:

Well, if you really want a fully complete red key set, you also need the crimson Hurricanger and all of the red line changes.

Hah. Nice try bandai shill

But yeah; I restricted myself to "main" Reds only. I don't have TimeFire, Princess Shinken Red, Crimson, etc

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Kuuga is getting Blurays.

These are more expensive than the other back-catalog Bluray sets, but also have four discs instead of three.

No details beyond price (24,624 yen) and release date (January 6th, 2016 for box 1), so no idea on if this set will be wonderful (a ST:TNG style remaster from the original 1080i footage; a production page for Agito mentioned that Kuuga was shot in HD so it could be mastered in HD when the cost of HD mastering went down), or complete poo poo (where Toei just takes the muddy letterboxed composite masters and upscales the 360i video for ants to 1080i).

I'd say there was absolutely no chance of a TNG-style remaster, if it weren't for the fact that Toei has brought it up before, and if they hadn't kind of done it already with the Special Chapter, which while still letterboxed, only pulled some parts of the opening credits from a composite source.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

jivjov posted:

Hah. Nice try bandai shill

But yeah; I restricted myself to "main" Reds only. I don't have TimeFire, Princess Shinken Red, Crimson, etc

But then your collection won't be complete

And we will judge you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

Kuuga is getting Blurays.

These are more expensive than the other back-catalog Bluray sets, but also have four discs instead of three.

No details beyond price (24,624 yen) and release date (January 6th, 2016 for box 1), so no idea on if this set will be wonderful (a ST:TNG style remaster from the original 1080i footage; a production page for Agito mentioned that Kuuga was shot in HD so it could be mastered in HD when the cost of HD mastering went down), or complete poo poo (where Toei just takes the muddy letterboxed composite masters and upscales the 360i video for ants to 1080i).

I'd say there was absolutely no chance of a TNG-style remaster, if it weren't for the fact that Toei has brought it up before, and if they hadn't kind of done it already with the Special Chapter, which while still letterboxed, only pulled some parts of the opening credits from a composite source.

They did mention that they had intentions of one day updating the special effects with more modern style, like TNG or TOS...

Is Kuuga at enough of a sweet spot to warrant that, as far as nostalgia goes? We're in between any major anniversaries.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I will sell my soul to Toei for HD Kuuga. Please do the right thing.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Burkion posted:

They did mention that they had intentions of one day updating the special effects with more modern style, like TNG or TOS...

Is Kuuga at enough of a sweet spot to warrant that, as far as nostalgia goes? We're in between any major anniversaries.

Well, it'll have finished its original run 15 years ago come February.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/kuuga.html

quote:

※本編映像は、SD素材を元にアップコンバートし最新のHD化作業を行ったものです。

NO. HELL NO.

YOU DO DOT GIVE US UPSCALES AFTER TEASING US WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF HR REMASTERS.

Gather the pitchforks and torches.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
As annoyed as I am by this, honestly, did anybody expect anything better out of Toei in 2015?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Apparently, one of the sounds in the Ghost Driver is for Shotaro Ishinomori. What are the chances that ends up as a special form for the big crossover movie?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pyroi posted:

Apparently, one of the sounds in the Ghost Driver is for Shotaro Ishinomori. What are the chances that ends up as a special form for the big crossover movie?

!!!
That better turn him straight-up into Skull Man, or I don't even know why to bother

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah so I watch tokus now, tokus are fun, they're like the silver age of comics.

I have a toku question though: Why do the modern kamen riders get so much lighter so recently.

I just watched three episodes of 555 and it's this bizarre parade of death and misery and possibly the worst protagonist ever, episode 2 had someone jump off a building to try to kill himself, episode 3 involves a girl being abused by her parents and then dying at the end and this is a loving kids show in japan or am I actually watching Candle Cove.

the other pre-decade shows I've seen an episode or two of also seemed to have much higher deathcount in general, even Den-O, and then suddenly in W things are basically toneally more similar to a normal western superhero cartoon or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Acne Rain posted:

Why do the modern kamen riders get so much lighter so recently.
Recognition of the target audience. Modern Kamen Rider exists as a vehicle to sell toys, so making the series acceptable for younger children means broadening how many kids NEED your new $200 deluxe super belt and playset come Christmas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fourze in particular is as light as it is because it premiered shortly after the 2011 tsunami, and Toei felt like everyone could use a bit of cheering up at that point.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Waffleman_ posted:

Fourze in particular is as light as it is because it premiered shortly after the 2011 tsunami, and Toei felt like everyone could use a bit of cheering up at that point.

Didn't this Tsunami also do a significant amount of change to the back end of OOO's story?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Poison Mushroom posted:

Recognition of the target audience. Modern Kamen Rider exists as a vehicle to sell toys, so making the series acceptable for younger children means broadening how many kids NEED your new $200 deluxe super belt and playset come Christmas.

But it's like they suddenly realized this right before W, and I'm not sure what they were trying to do before that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I figure that since W was the first series after the 10th Heisei Rider, Toei felt like they could shake up the formula a bit. It worked, and it stuck.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

yeah so I watch tokus now, tokus are fun, they're like the silver age of comics.

I have a toku question though: Why do the modern kamen riders get so much lighter so recently.

I just watched three episodes of 555 and it's this bizarre parade of death and misery and possibly the worst protagonist ever, episode 2 had someone jump off a building to try to kill himself, episode 3 involves a girl being abused by her parents and then dying at the end and this is a loving kids show in japan or am I actually watching Candle Cove.

the other pre-decade shows I've seen an episode or two of also seemed to have much higher deathcount in general, even Den-O, and then suddenly in W things are basically toneally more similar to a normal western superhero cartoon or something.

Here's the difference. Going to use Kuuga as the really really easy one.

Kuuga was a kids program aimed at a general audience that was designed to have a toy set, but went to the trouble of spot lighting every single possible toy you could get from the show and made them important to the plot and character. Each form was unique and added something to the fight scenes. Everything had a point.

Fourze is a kids show aimed at kids that was designed to sell toys and then entertain.

Or to simplify it even further

The older Heisei Rider series were designed to entertain first and sell toys after.

The newer Heisei Rider series are designed to be toys first and entertain later. Toy gimmicks rule the school and actively screw with the pacing of the show because the series are a slave to the toyline.

We're talking Transformers level "TOYS COME FIRST" nonsense.

Honestly it mostly works out fairly well, but it doesn't lend itself to the more serious side of Toku that it once was.

Also there have been a lot of terrible things happening in Japan in the last decade and the tone has changed to try to lighten the mood for kids as well. You can see this happen in real time come Kamen Rider OOOs.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I feel like the shift happens with Den-O (barring the first episode). Season before was Kabuto with Worms who would murder you and steal your identity and then Den-O comes along with a framing device of literally having no consequences.

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 2, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Burkion posted:

The newer Heisei Rider series are designed to be toys first and entertain later. Toy gimmicks rule the school and actively screw with the pacing of the show because the series are a slave to the toyline.

You can see this in Gaim where Gen Urobuchi tries his damndest to make a dark, serious series about fruit samurai.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah watching Modern stuff first and then going back and looking at some of the older stuff makes for a case of tonal whiplash. Coming from W and OOOs and trying to watch Kuuga and the on-screen deaths and massive body count right out of episode 1 was insane. (I couldn't get into it for the directing style. For the love of god that show had nothing going on when a fight wasn't happening/about to happen).

Not that Modern shows don't have plenty of death still it just doesn't get lingered on or is more implied than straight shown. Drive opens up with a huge swath of heavily implied deaths. They just mostly weren't shown on-screen for the sake of selling toys and all that.

Did they ever give an estimate/rough figure of the number of people who died during the Global Freeze? I can't recall.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vise the Stompy posted:

I feel like the shift happens with Den-O (barring the first episode). Season before was Kabuto with Worms who would murder your and steal you identity and then Den-O comes along with a framing device of literally having no consequences.

Nah, it started with Kabuto. Show leaps from dark to goofy as hell constantly, just look at Tsurugi.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
All Kamen Rider's have goofy moments in them but Den-O is where anything remotely dark is washed away. It has the biggest kid gloves and also seemed extremely successful given how prevalent the Imagin were after the show ended. Which is why I feel things eased back post Den O.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I've seen some Kuuga and I felt like it was far more coherent than Faiz. Really my problem with it is that it makes too much sense. I kinda like how these shows throw out a lot of "why"s and "how"s that western superheros have. They just throw a bunch of unrecognizable crazy poo poo in your face and don't explain anything until halfway through the entire series instead of explaining the comic book biology of how peter parker's spider powers come from spider dna and how the police attempt to handle threats and why he needs a secret identity and all that.

Kuuga's exploring the hows and whys of being a kamen rider and actually addressing that kind of thing. That's fine. It's just a bit more conventional to western hero stories that I know of already.

I'm kind of just like "the gently caress am I watching" with Kamen Rider Cellphone Man who doesn't actually care about fighting monsters or helping people and only cares about his bag of gay pants.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Faiz is weird like that because it's written by a fairly prolific toku writer who was well on his decline by then. His recurring writing quirks are pretty big in-jokes among fans.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vise the Stompy posted:

All Kamen Rider's have goofy moments in them but Den-O is where anything remotely dark is washed away. It has the biggest kid gloves and also seemed extremely successful given how prevalent the Imagin were after the show ended. Which is why I feel things eased back post Den O.

As goofy as Den-O is, it's dark (maybe more like sad?) stuff is more affecting than watching any number of lovely melodramatic assholes die on certain other shows that'll remain unnamed

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

We're talking Transformers level "TOYS COME FIRST" nonsense.

no we're not

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh right I'm sorry.

We're talking Mid 2000s collect all the mini cons and the keys Transformers toys come first nonsense.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Oh right I'm sorry.

We're talking Mid 2000s collect all the mini cons and the keys Transformers toys come first nonsense.

no, we're not, stop being dense

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

no, we're not, stop being dense

How are we not? Mind adding to the conversation?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I agree with Burk. So toyetic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
yeah the part of drive where not only the toy cars are collectibles but sapient collectables and there's a scene with a sad toy car in the rain was particularly insane

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And it had more dramatic impact than any of Wizard.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Faiz is also the most low budget heisei rider show thanks to ryuki having been a huge money sink

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Acne Rain posted:

yeah the part of drive where not only the toy cars are collectibles but sapient collectables and there's a scene with a sad toy car in the rain was particularly insane
True, but we also had a sad belt in the rain.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Faiz is also the most low budget heisei rider show thanks to ryuki having been a huge money sink

Really? I'd heard that Kuuga had barely any budget. At the least Faiz has better costume design than Kuuga.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Akett posted:

Really? I'd heard that Kuuga had barely any budget. At the least Faiz has better costume design than Kuuga.

Faiz's suits were pretty much the only thing going for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kuuga suffered a lot from the Revival Back To Basics style of suit design. As much as I love Kuuga, I have never been a fan of any of his forms besides Ultimate. Even Ultimate can look doofy in some pictures I've found, where it looks way too puffy and weird.

Kuuga just looks too fake for the kind of Rider he's supposed to be. His chest piece just looks like a giant piece of plastic and the rest of his design is just a black body suit.

Sky Rider had a similarly underwhelming design, being a moth riff on the original Rider's design.

Black got away with it though, not sure how. Black just had such a great suit, made of a fantastic material with an excellent visual gimmick, with all of the organic bits selling the idea that this is a cyborg. Not really a visual gimmick they were able to keep up due to budget and such, but it was and is admirable.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I'd never heard about that. Explains why half the Orphenochs later on are cut and pasted versions of old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

All of Kuuga's suits are cool and good.

Black's suit looked awful. The entire midsection and waist were bulky and just looked like a big plastic diaper. The undersuit part always stuck out like a sore thumb. I realize they needed something to break up the pure black of his outfit outside of the stripes on the neck and wrists but the poo poo they used just looked like weird brown tinfoil that didn't mesh at all with the color scheme.

Good Helmet though. And Shadowmoon's design also kind of salvages my feelings on the show's overall design a bit. He still has the dumb diaper, but the more natural/animal mouth fits the themes of Black a bit more (though it always seemed kind of backwards that the more obviously mechanical one of the two had the more natural look.) and they kept the color scheme more consistent and the whole thing just looks a lot more solid.

Also half your posts in this thread can be summarized as "No this thing is bad, except when my favorite series does it. Then it's good." Nah it's as bad in black as it is in most things.

• Locked thread