Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Victims' names will not be released officially for 48 hours. Shooter's name will not be released for an indefinite period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Obama challenged the media to compare gun and terrorism deaths. So we did.

Spoiler alert: Gun violence wins.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

pathetic little tramp posted:

Shooter's name will not be released for an indefinite period of time.

Release it once the media has moved on. Deprive the killers of notoriety.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Armyman25 posted:

Trying to ban guns would be as effective as banning drugs.

How is that a counter argument? Making guns insanely expensive would go a vast way towards cutting down gun crime. If you have the money to buy a black market gun, you have enough money you aren't going to go and try and rob someone with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fox Ironic posted:

The shooter probably would have had a mental health intervention before they snapped? Or less economic stress would have allowed them to develop hobbies other than 4chan and killing people?

Who was going to force the intervention? Are you aware that he was pretty well off?

pathetic little tramp posted:

Victims' names will not be released officially for 48 hours. Shooter's name will not be released for an indefinite period of time.

Great way to ensure that internet trolls get to determine who to blame. Just like the Boston bombing!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Fried Chicken posted:

How is that a counter argument? Making guns insanely expensive would go a vast way towards cutting down gun crime. If you have the money to buy a black market gun, you have enough money you aren't going to go and try and rob someone with it.

Shhhhh, sh sh sh. Please don't engage with Armyman25. That caped lunatic is not someone who can be convinced. It's as futile as telling LeJackle that maybe everyone doesn't need to be strapped to the teeth 24/7.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

He thinks it's a good argument because he, against all laws of nature, believes he's addicted to guns, and also that he can totally grow his own assault rifle with extended clip every summer, just like weed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Who was going to force the intervention? Are you aware that he was pretty well off?

Great way to ensure that internet trolls get to determine who to blame. Just like the Boston bombing!
The Sandy Hook shooter had his brother's ID on him and the media didn't correct the mistake for four hours.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

And they are. They've already gotten major accounts to retweet pictures of completely innocent people, all while going on and on about "cucks" and whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fox Ironic posted:

The shooter probably would have had a mental health intervention before they snapped? Or less economic stress would have allowed them to develop hobbies other than 4chan and killing people?

Are you Bernie Sanders?

Did you know some problems don't have an economic component as their major source?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

The thing is, you can make guns for a couple bucks with stuff from the hardware store. They won't be as pretty, but they will be lethal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

The thing is, you can make guns for a couple bucks with stuff from the hardware store. They won't be as pretty, but they will be lethal.

Yea and if you wanna get hosed up you can chug a bottle of tussin and chill, but that doesn't change the fact that heroin should probably stay illegal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LeJackal posted:

Glad you admit that there's no need to sell real guns to the public anymore. Anyone who truly needs a gun can just build their own! I expect you'll be handing yours in too, as they're clearly obsolete.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea and if you wanna get hosed up you can chug a bottle of tussin and chill, but that doesn't change the fact that heroin should probably stay illegal.

Yeah, the War on Drugs has just been peachy keen and awesome for everyone. It's not like it's an engine of misery and a tool of racist oppression or anything.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
The only reason that people are outright talking about banning guns in this thread is that they reflectively know that gun control in no way correlates to a reduction in mass shootings, and would simply be insufficient.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Duke Igthorn posted:

Raise wages and social services to ease the general tension being heaped onto every American by our corporate overlords. People are less likely to snap if they're relaxed/properly medicated. Millions of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck with one accident away from being destroyed and the pressure will not stop building. Stop that, stop the shootings. number of guns won't even factor into it.
And if you want to reduce gun ownership in the long run, I suspect that this will also help diminish the attitude in American gun culture that being heavily armed is the only easy and quick way to empower yourself.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Guns should be legal, but you should have to get shot first before you're allowed to use one, like they do with tasers sometimes.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A war on guns would be exactly like a war on drugs, they are just so similar. Everyone knows that once you use a gun it is gone and you need to buy more guns, plus guns are physically and mentally addictive and are an escape from reality for desperate and depressed people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stereotype posted:

A war on guns would be exactly like a war on drugs, they are just so similar. Everyone knows that once you use a gun it is gone and you need to buy more guns, plus guns are physically and mentally addictive and are an escape from reality for desperate and depressed people.

War on bullets maybe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

Yeah, the War on Drugs has just been peachy keen and awesome for everyone. It's not like it's an engine of misery and a tool of racist oppression or anything.

Heroin shouldn't be legal apparently means I love all of the drug war, weird.

Anyway I love how the things shift from 'well criminals don't follow laws soooo' to 'well you can't get rid of EVERY gun sooo' to now I guess 'you can just MAKE a gun sooo'. Like, guns aren't a naturally occurring thing, man, we're not talking about regulating hurricanes, these are physical objects that exist only to put metal in things (almost always living things) from long distance, it seems most other developed nations have some level of handle on them.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Even at the moment they're no different given that both would be using the same agencies to fight them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Anyway I love how the things shift from 'well criminals don't follow laws soooo' to 'well you can't get rid of EVERY gun sooo' to now I guess 'you can just MAKE a gun sooo'. Like, guns aren't a naturally occurring thing, man, we're not talking about regulating hurricanes, these are physical objects that exist only to put metal in things (almost always living things) from long distance, it seems most other developed nations have some level of handle on them.

Yeah, El Salvador's strict gun laws are working so well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GWBBQ posted:

And if you want to reduce gun ownership in the long run, I suspect that this will also help diminish the attitude in American gun culture that being heavily armed is the only easy and quick way to empower yourself.

American gun culture is an ever dwindling minority. It's not like we ever got American racist culture to stop hating the blacks, we just made it so people stopped being so willing to join in with racism culture.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

did you know that some problems don't have a physical component as their major source?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Armyman25 posted:

Yea I can't think of any other reason there'd be gun violence in El Salvador. It must be gun laws making it too hard for the Good Guys With Guns or something.

Do you think we're in the same position as El Salvador? Man dude I know hating america is a D&D meme but you're taking it too far.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you Bernie Sanders?

Did you know some problems don't have an economic component as their major source?

How do you explain Iceland, Finland, Germany, Norway and France? All have relatively high rates of gun ownership, but next to nothing in terms of gun violence.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Unless someone is going to find a good reason to use drug enforcement as a model for gun control or vice versa, I'm going to have to say that it's a distracting non sequitur, and you might want to stop using it as an argument in this discussion.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

did you know that some problems don't have a physical component as their major source?

Poverty, drugs, violence, and crime are all pretty well leveled out amongst the lower classes- especially in how sentences are carried out.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I can't think of any other reason there'd be gun violence in El Salvador. It must be gun laws making it too hard for the Good Guys With Guns or something.

Do you think we're in the same position as El Salvador? Man dude I know hating america is a D&D meme but you're taking it too far.

This wouldn't be the first time the United States was compared to a banana republic.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also like 60% of the guns in El Salvador were illegally brought there from the US, where their purchase was legally allowed because we have so few gun laws.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Armyman25 posted:

I know we just had a mass shooting mate but the crime/murder rate in the US is way below El Salvador's!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Make all guns pink and have it be illegal to paint your gun. The problem is solved.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

Also like 60% of the guns in El Salvador were illegally brought there from the US, where their purchase was legally allowed because we have so few gun laws.

Dude I don't know what you mean. Guns magically vanish when you cross state or national borders, that's why you have the smug 'hah Illinois has strong gun laws so there' thing without having to mention that its neighbors do not, or why we blame all the gun problems in Mexico on the savage aztec horde.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

awesmoe posted:

It's cool to see the insane bloodlust of americans comes through even when ostensibly arguing ways to prevent school schootings. A second civil war to reduce violence!

Do you even understand how violent our culture is? 14 year olds are regularly exposed to extreme violence and brutality in the mainstream media, but anything more risque than a pasty-covered nipple is relegated to the Incognito window. We loving love violence, seriously.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

I know we just had a mass shooting mate but the crime/murder rate in the US is way below El Salvador's!

Good thing we know that properly implemented gun controls can stop gun related crime, but not mass shootings!

Radbot posted:

Do you even understand how violent our culture is? 14 year olds are regularly exposed to extreme violence and brutality in the mainstream media, but anything more risque than a pasty-covered nipple is relegated to the Incognito window. We loving love violence, seriously.

This is probably closer to the truth.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Russia has fewer guns than the US, a lower population, stricter gun laws, and twice as many murders.

I suppose that's the US's fault too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Do you understand that this is also true all over the world with the violence being only slightly toned down and dem titties only a bit more exposed? Where the hell do you think a bunch of the media people watch in Europe and Australia comes from?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Armyman25 posted:

Russia has fewer guns than the US, a lower population, stricter gun laws, and twice as many murders.

I suppose that's the US's fault too.

No that's the fault of vodka and the depressing grayness of Russia itself.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
See, if you only look at countries with terrible social problems and a history of political unrest, the United States looks great! Clearly gun control isn't the solution.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Some studies have made interesting suggestion that while violent media doesn't cause violent behavior, it does amazing things to shape how people think they're likely to be the targets of violence: a general subset of how media shapes people's concepts of risk. It goes a long way to explain why current and proposed laws related to guns, drugs, organized crime, and so on are heavily oriented toward how they work in movies and specifically high-profile news stories, as opposed to based in any sort of risk analysis or technical knowledge of the topics, and how it's been that way at least since machine guns and silencers became staples of early gangster movies, and movie marijuana made people violently flip out after wild hallucinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So do we even know who the shooter is yet? is it the eggman looking dude? is it the neckbeard? is it some muslim guy like my one friend thinks it is?

• Locked thread