Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I am still on FMLA SO I wasn't there for the crash but apparently it was not without warning. Looks like the people on those cushy details get to extend them a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

kmcormick9 posted:

I am still on FMLA SO I wasn't there for the crash but apparently it was not without warning. Looks like the people on those cushy details get to extend them a little longer.

Which crash?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IIRC, he's at ZDC.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh, the computer crash. We've been talking about helicopters and aircraft types for a page.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

D'oh http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/nyregion/pilot-in-fatal-long-island-crash-was-directed-to-nonexistent-runway-report-says.html

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

What a bummer. I wonder if the radar maps available to the controllers there are old.

Here's what that site looks like now:

http://tinyurl.com/pgq9kpo

Here's some info on the airport that used to exist:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Airfields_NY_LongIs_Nassau.htm#bethpage

quote:

The last aeronautical chart depiction which has been located showing the Grumman Bethpage airfield still in operation

was on a 1987 NY Terminal Aeronautical Chart (courtesy of Gwen Shafer).

It depicted Bethpage as having a single 6,600' paved northwest/southeast runway, and a Non-Federal Control Tower.

In 2003, only about 1/4 of the runway remained as unmaintained pavement. Whether it was landable then or not is questionable, and there certainly isn't anything that's useful for aircraft there now.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 25, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It kinda sounds from the article like the controller gave him the nearest airport, and the pilot replied that he was unable, and the controller reached deep into his butt memory for whatever was around, but was mistaken. Sucks either way. :(

Has the audio cropped up anywhere yet?

And speaking of audio, whats the legality of posting ATC recordings? I know they're public record, but do they have to be officially released, or can anyone with the recording distribute it freely?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm told this is the link off of Live ATC that caught it:

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12610.0;attach=8426

Requires registration to download.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Welp, my area has hit the staffing level where a medical DQ or two equals people on the no overtime list getting forced into overtime shifts with less than 2 weeks notice :v:

I told them I couldn't do it because I had a sleep study scheduled on that day. They just laughed. I should really get a sleep study scheduled and then see who's laughing.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

fknlo posted:

Welp, my area has hit the staffing level where a medical DQ or two equals people on the no overtime list getting forced into overtime shifts with less than 2 weeks notice :v:

I told them I couldn't do it because I had a sleep study scheduled on that day. They just laughed. I should really get a sleep study scheduled and then see who's laughing.

What's the shortest notice you guys get...

I ask as in the peak Summer we regularly get calls/texts from ops "Can you be in in 1 hour to go to..."

When it's really bad they then add "and don't go home for your uniform!"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

What's the shortest notice you guys get...

I ask as in the peak Summer we regularly get calls/texts from ops "Can you be in in 1 hour to go to..."

When it's really bad they then add "and don't go home for your uniform!"

If you're on your days off, they'll call within hours of shift start, or after shift start with a "get here when you can."

This all assumes you actually pick up your phone. You certainly don't have to.

For more notice, they can schedule OT anytime before 7 days from the shift and they don't have to notify you. Inside of 7 days they must notify you. If staffing permits, you can turn it down and they'll go down the list and offer it to the next available. If staffing doesn't permit, they'll force it as mandatory overtime, still have to give you notice inside of 7 days.

Thankfully, our present contract requires them to give you the full 8 hours of overtime if you're scheduled in the above manner. During the contract dispute between 2006 and 2010, they could force you to come in then send you home after a few minutes if they didn't need you afterall.

If they hold you over on a normal working day (up to 2 hours since we time-out after 10hrs in a given day) they have to let you work at least 1 of those hours. Again, during the dispute it wasn't uncommon to get "held over," cancel your evening plans, then find out 15 minutes later that they changed their mind and you had to go home.

That kind of poo poo is why I'll always be pro union even if it ever inconveniences me.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

That kind of poo poo is why I'll always be pro union even if it ever inconveniences me.

Hear Hear. Absolute Godsend they are. The manure we've dodged thanks to our company council is incredible.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Today at work, some weird technical glitch caused my transmissions to go out, not only just over my frequencies, but also out of the shout line speakers at the adjacent navy approach control facility in Kingsville TX where my friend works.

He says I have a good radio voice, hahah. I had to text him after and make sure it was just my transmissions going out when I keyed up, not the horrible poo poo I was saying off frequency also. Thankfully it was the former. What a weird glitch.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tonight I was a key player in getting a controller from Indy to call a guy in my area a cock over the line. To the Indy controllers credit, the guy is a massive cock.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Tonight I was a key player in getting a controller from Indy to call a guy in my area a cock over the line. To the Indy controllers credit, the guy is a massive cock.

We have a running fued with one of our approach controls, due in no small part to several controllers in my area being massive cocks. Teach me your ways, that I may learn to get others to shame my coworkers for me.

Content: In ERAM, clicking the non-ADS-B button in DB Fields causes non-ADS-B track targets to display a coral A to the left of the AID. Does anyone know if this is a reliable indicator of the aircraft's actual ADS-B out capability, or is it just whether ADS-B is the current preferred sensor for that track? We've had a couple guys ask for ADS-B equipment checks, and we're really not totally sure of the symbology on our end.

Gonna ask our automation guy on Monday for an official answer, but my trainer and I are curious, and this thread has been dead, recently.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Teach me your ways, that I may learn to get others to shame my coworkers for me.

It involved a pretty stupid point out on Indy Center's part. They pointed an aircraft off KIND out to me and were flashing it at the sector above me. 10000 feet above the aircraft when they called him for the handoff. It got into his airspace for about 2 miles. It popped up on my scope and I zoomed way out and had absolutely nothing coming so "point out approved" :v: .

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

MrYenko posted:

We have a running fued with one of our approach controls, due in no small part to several controllers in my area being massive cocks. Teach me your ways, that I may learn to get others to shame my coworkers for me.

Content: In ERAM, clicking the non-ADS-B button in DB Fields causes non-ADS-B track targets to display a coral A to the left of the AID. Does anyone know if this is a reliable indicator of the aircraft's actual ADS-B out capability, or is it just whether ADS-B is the current preferred sensor for that track? We've had a couple guys ask for ADS-B equipment checks, and we're really not totally sure of the symbology on our end.

Gonna ask our automation guy on Monday for an official answer, but my trainer and I are curious, and this thread has been dead, recently.

The way I was told was that eram is currently like one of those xm-ready car stereos, it doesn't have the receiver but it is designed to work seamlessly when one is plugged in.
AFAIK, the scopes on the floor are mode c only, and do not have ANY ads-b data sent to them. There may be a non operational scope somewhere in the building that shows it, but you don't get it on the floor.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kmcormick9 posted:

The way I was told was that eram is currently like one of those xm-ready car stereos, it doesn't have the receiver but it is designed to work seamlessly when one is plugged in.
AFAIK, the scopes on the floor are mode c only, and do not have ANY ads-b data sent to them. There may be a non operational scope somewhere in the building that shows it, but you don't get it on the floor.

We do get ADS-B data, though. Some aircraft don't show the A when its selected, update more often, and will show ADS-B as a valid (although never preferred) sensor in the sensor sort box. We also get callsigns in limited datablocks on untracked targets for a couple helicopters that operate in our airspace. Its loving weird.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The guy who lit Chicago Center on fire and tried to kill himself last September was sentenced today to 12.5 years in prison.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Have my check ride for my first two radar positions, today. Managed to get a solid three, maybe three and a half hours of sleep for it.

:downsgun:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Good luck. We're all counting on you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

I'm now a radar controller.

Stop calling me Shirley.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Congratulations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Stop calling me Shirley.

Congrats man! It's a huge relief to get those first two out of the way. And more money too!

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Stop calling me Shirley.

Congrats... if on the east coast I should be winding you up in the New Year, and that goes for all... they just confirmed my A330 conversion is due in January!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Effective October 15, the IVNKA1 SID off of Palm Beach International becomes the SLIDZ1.

The fixes IVNKA, DONLD, TRUMP, and UFIRD become SLIDZ, RIDRR, RBACK, and CRRMN, respectively.

...Which is pretty amusing. :commissar:

Annoyingly, CRRMN is maybe 40 or 50nm from CRMIN, an RNAV fix on an unrelated STAR. I'm absolutely sure that won't cause any gently caress-ups, right guys? :v:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Awesome, ZNY oceanic has SOORY and SORRY is in Connecticut, I think. I've heard of pilots punching in the wrong fix and ending up in ZNY radar instead of continuing east bound!

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
drat, DRUNK doesn't exist anymore over Ted Kennedy's house

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I didn't win union rep :toot:

I only ran because I didn't think anyone else was going to and our previous rep sucked. Unfortunately I think it's too late to reverse the thing where they only have one person coming in early to relieve the mid workers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I didn't win union rep :toot:

I only ran because I didn't think anyone else was going to and our previous rep sucked. Unfortunately I think it's too late to reverse the thing where they only have one person coming in early to relieve the mid workers.

Jesus. We have two relievers, and the flex on our 6am shift is 5:30, which almost everyone uses, so they get more time before their mids. Half the time when I get there at 6:30, it's already busy enough that we start splitting things the moment someone qualified walks in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Jesus. We have two relievers, and the flex on our 6am shift is 5:30, which almost everyone uses, so they get more time before their mids. Half the time when I get there at 6:30, it's already busy enough that we start splitting things the moment someone qualified walks in.

We have 3 people come in at 5:45. Next year it's one person at 5:55(10 minute flex) and then the other 2 at 6:15. Don't think there's a flex on that one. During the week we almost always have 2 sectors open before 6:15. So the mid person gets to sit there while relief opens up a sector. Gonna be fun when the 5:55 person bangs in! We're also the only area doing this for some reason. Probably has nothing to do with it being loving retarded.

I also asked about the times when we have 3 sectors open before 6:15. "That almost never happens". While true, this isn't the job where "that almost never happens" flies as a response.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

We have 3 people come in at 5:45. Next year it's one person at 5:55(10 minute flex) and then the other 2 at 6:15. Don't think there's a flex on that one. During the week we almost always have 2 sectors open before 6:15. So the mid person gets to sit there while relief opens up a sector. Gonna be fun when the 5:55 person bangs in! We're also the only area doing this for some reason. Probably has nothing to do with it being loving retarded.

I also asked about the times when we have 3 sectors open before 6:15. "That almost never happens". While true, this isn't the job where "that almost never happens" flies as a response.

Somewhat related story:

Me: "Hey, why are these departures still being routed directly through a giant thunderstorm that's been there for three hours, despite there being other good DTAs with no weather at all?"

Sup: "Well, there are only five or six more left."

:crossarms:

Also somewhat related: We just got a really good union rep. Hes one of the brand new CPCs, but he has a knack for this stuff, and the interest to actually do it, which is 90% of the battle. In just a couple months, hes put us on an electronic bid system that has made bidding a lot less of a pain in the rear end, gotten an area-wide email list started, got the Fri/Sat and Sat/Sun crews realigned with the others (they had seven, and Wed/Thu had three for a couple months, as an example) un-hosed our Metroplex representation (oh god there were some quality individuals on that detail before,) and was a oval office-hair away from getting a smattering of straight-day and straight-night shift rotations approved on certain crews. (One of the old guys bitched right at the Facility Manager, because if he cant have five morning shifts on Saturday/Sunday, well then nobody should be able to have them.) He's a good dude. (Our union rep, not the bitter old gently caress.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Odd question: for those at centers, do you have a functional cafeteria? Ours has the cafeteria facilities, but no contractor to run them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Seattle Center does.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Odd question: for those at centers, do you have a functional cafeteria? Ours has the cafeteria facilities, but no contractor to run them.

We apparently used to have this. No clue on how long ago. Probably not since the white book when you couldn't leave the facility. They're theoretically turning some of the old unused space into a workout area.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Minneapolis center did 3 years ago when I visited.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Do we have any high level TRACON guys posting here? I'm a bit over 1 month away from my move to D10 (DFW approach) and I wouldn't mind some pointers.

They're sending me back to OKC for the advanced radar (TSEW) sims right after I check in. Anyone been to that?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Given the number of times I've gotten lost driving out of DFW, I pity the man who handles the airplane end of it. Isn't it right up there among the busiest airports in the world, by some metric?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Delivery McGee posted:

Given the number of times I've gotten lost driving out of DFW, I pity the man who handles the airplane end of it. Isn't it right up there among the busiest airports in the world, by some metric?

According to this site: https://aspm.faa.gov/opsnet/sys/Tracon.asp

It's 6th in the nation in "overall operations" which is combined IFR/VFR movements for every airport under its control. However, my welcome letter says it's 3rd in the nation which is probably more accurate when accounting for the size of the airspace. The traffic count website doesn't take into consideration that Northern California TRACON, and Southern California TRACON are absolutely massive, covering a lot more airports, and subsequently, split among a greater number of controllers. But DFW doesn't have the same airspace constrictions to deal with as somewhere such as New York has. So there are many claims as to who's really busier (It's probably Chicago and Atlanta, really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Upon further reflection, I think DFW was #1 in cargo tonnage at the turn of the last century. But any way you put it, that's a fuckton of airplanes. I wish you the best of luck with your pending gig, and will listen to the ATC radio channel next time I fly out of Love Field or DFW to hear your dulcet tones.