Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So do we even know who the shooter is yet? is it the eggman looking dude? is it the neckbeard? is it some muslim guy like my one friend thinks it is?

This is honestly just as well. These mass shootings are usually a kind of suicide attempt, and it is well documented that reporting on suicide attempts encourages more suicide attempts.

See, e.g., http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/suicide-prevention/recommendations-for-reporting-on-suicide.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

LeJackal posted:

Yeah, the War on Drugs has just been peachy keen and awesome for everyone. It's not like it's an engine of misery and a tool of racist oppression or anything.

Take it from the guy who gets stoned on gun farts.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Thump! posted:

Shhhhh, sh sh sh. Please don't engage with Armyman25. That caped lunatic is not someone who can be convinced. It's as futile as telling LeJackle that maybe everyone doesn't need to be strapped to the teeth 24/7.

No this ignorant poo poo just pisses me off. I'm pro gun rights but why do the other assholes trying to defend it have to offer up such stupid as poo poo arguments?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is honestly just as well. These mass shootings are usually a kind of suicide attempt, and it is well documented that reporting on suicide attempts encourages more suicide attempts.

Hasn't there been other research suggesting it's an increase in taking notice of suicide attempts, and there's not provably more of them? I.e. it's similar to the supposed drastic increase of autism sufferers.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Armyman25 posted:

Russia has fewer guns than the US, a lower population, stricter gun laws, and twice as many murders.

I suppose that's the US's fault too.

actually it is hth

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

greatn posted:

You are underselling this: 8 out of 10 of the counties with the highest minority voter registration percentage are not just losing a driver's license office, they will have NO drivers license office. Those six counties you mention with highest black percentage, NO OFFICE.

No one believed me when I said that the whole gambling saga effectively turned Alabama into a one-party state by locking up and/or knocking out every Democrat politician worth electing.

This is just the poo poo-covered cherry on top of the poo poo-frosted cake.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

No this ignorant poo poo just pisses me off. I'm pro gun rights but why do the other assholes trying to defend it have to offer up such stupid as poo poo arguments?

Ok, what's your argument in favor of gun rights?

What do you believe the US's gun laws should be?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

LeJackal posted:

The thing is, you can make guns for a couple bucks with stuff from the hardware store. They won't be as pretty, but they will be lethal.

You can grow/cook/brew your own drug of choice too. Funny how few people do it and the price stays high

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

On the other hand thanks to the massively connected culture we have now not reporting this stuff leads to poo poo like in Boston where dudes just find a rando (spoiler: almost always some minority) and say 'oh this was it, let's hate him now' and the speculation and not knowing leads to witch hunts that almost always are used to justify bigotry. We already have people saying 'oh yea clearly this was a Muslim killing Christians' even with zero proof, the problem is that with those people doing it they're actively encouraging bigotry and sometimes even violence rather than just being nutballs now.

Like, imagine if it was super easy for the McVeigh had a muslim buddy during the OKC bombings to be spread nationally.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

No one believed me when I said that the whole gambling saga effectively turned Alabama into a one-party state by locking up and/or knocking out every Democrat politician worth electing.

This is just the poo poo-covered cherry on top of the poo poo-frosted cake.

One party aside a Republican candidate who plays to the black population won't gain traction either. Who cares about the democrats you can't even elect an official who has republican values that can coincide with their black constituency.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Armyman25 posted:

SubponticatePoster posted:

Make part of the gun buying process similar to what Republicans keep trying to do with abortion. First, you have to see pictures of victims of mass shootings and audio recordings of the screams of the dying. Then get something randomly shoved up your rear end - you must consent to this or else you're not allowed to purchase a firearm. Then after all that you still have to come back and speak with a counselor twice more with a waiting period of 48 hours in between sessions. Also regulate the stores that sell firearms down to the nails used in construction, make sure the seller has admitting privileges at a local hospital (in case something goes wrong), they can't be within 1000 ft of a school or church, and the name of everyone that buys a gun is posted in the local paper. Oh, and they have to recommend alternatives, like slingshots and paintball/airsoft.

I mean, we're not making buying a gun illegal, we're doing it for the health and safety of the buyer. If it's not a legitimate gun purchase we have ways of shutting that whole thing down!

(For the record I own guns, like shooting them and don't think they should be outright banned but I have no problem with strict regulation)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

Ok, what's your argument in favor of gun rights?
"Second Amendment, gently caress off"

quote:

follow the aircraft/automobile style of safety regulation instead of attempting restriction/prohibition, combined with a very robust social safety net to reduce driving factors towards criminality and violence

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

How is that a counter argument? Making guns insanely expensive would go a vast way towards cutting down gun crime. If you have the money to buy a black market gun, you have enough money you aren't going to go and try and rob someone with it.

Actually, making guns expensive and hard to get a hold of incentivizes illegal gun manufacture. Right now there isn't a market for homemade firearms due to their easy and legal availability. If they are banned, it creates a market for people to start knocking together homemade guns and selling them to criminals. The same people who cook meth in rural areas, small towns, and trailer parks are smart enough to figure out how to start making homemade guns and selling them under the table.

A law banning a thing doesn't make the thing go away. It didn't stop people from selling boot leg liquor, from selling illegal drugs, or from selling bootleg movies.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Armyman25 posted:

Russia has fewer guns than the US, a lower population, stricter gun laws, and twice as many murders.

I suppose that's the US's fault too.

Eurasians are alcoholics. Americans can smoke weed and responsibly handle firearms.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Armyman25 posted:

Actually, making guns expensive and hard to get a hold of incentivizes illegal gun manufacture. Right now there isn't a market for homemade firearms due to their easy and legal availability. If they are banned, it creates a market for people to start knocking together homemade guns and selling them to criminals. The same people who cook meth in rural areas, small towns, and trailer parks are smart enough to figure out how to start making homemade guns and selling them under the table.

A law banning a thing doesn't make the thing go away. It didn't stop people from selling boot leg liquor, from selling illegal drugs, or from selling bootleg movies.

I would be more than happy to fill our prisons with illegal gun manufacturers.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

"Second Amendment, gently caress off"
follow the aircraft/automobile style of safety regulation instead of attempting restriction/prohibition, combined with a very robust social safety net to reduce driving factors towards criminality and violence

Aircraft and automobile safety regulations are designed to keep the users safe and do a good job at that. Firearms are already very safe for the users and fall under the same liability laws in regard to hazards posed to their users. Unless you think that auto manufacturers should be on the hook for speeding tickets since they make cars than can go faster than 70 mph?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Armyman25 posted:

Homemade gun manufacturer blows self up makes for a hilarious headline.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would be more than happy to fill our prisons with illegal gun manufacturers.

So you're still in favor of locking up poor people wholesale?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Armyman25 posted:

i am

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Armyman25 posted:

So do meth labs get a free pass then, or just zip guns?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Guns can't be banned because I need my gun to protect myself from gungrabbers. That's the whole argument, right there. Smelting and milling a working gun is incredibly difficult, as seen in the fact that it doesn't a happen now with people who want full auto demonrat shooters but have to settle for knockoffs of Rambo's piece for ~3k. If guns were made illegal, criminals would have guns, which would make it much easier to separate violent criminals from average citizens.

dogs named Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

A) it makes them extremely expensive, which is why the drug comparison is terrible
B) unlike drugs guns are not a consumed good, nor do they generate compulsion to continue to consume, depressing demand for manufacturing and thus increasing scarcity and cost

Making a gun cost an arm and a leg means they don't get used in the crimes because if you have the money you don't need to do the crime

So if you are going to try "Actually..." Don't gently caress up Econ 101.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 2, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Armyman25 posted:

Ah yes all those poor people who manufacture guns on a large basis. Right. Well, they're probably poor in intelligence, I'll give you that!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

Aircraft and automobile safety regulations are designed to keep the users safe and do a good job at that. Firearms are already very safe for the users and fall under the same liability laws in regard to hazards posed to their users. Unless you think that auto manufacturers should be on the hook for speeding tickets since they make cars than can go faster than 70 mph?

Ok so you aren't even remotely arguing on good faith, got it

Hint: the bulk of regulation on those are to protect the public sphere, not the user.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We don't have to shove anything up anybody's rear end to make buying a gun emasculating. Just make the guns and ammo pink. All of them.

Added bonus: guns now cheaper because of decreased demand.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Heh, queers, am I right fellow progressives.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

i think the idea is that guns are totems of masculinity, and pink is not considered masculine, thus reducing the value of guns in signifying the owner's masculinity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

By mocking gunhavers that are homophobes, you yourself have become a homophobe!

It's spreading!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tatum Girlparts posted:

:agreed:

Also I'm looking forward to Obama telling it like it is for the next 14 months.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Guns, unlike many drugs, don't literally grow out of the soil. There's also a pretty big difference between motivation for purchasing them. Drugs are bought because they're fun. Guns would be bought to commit crimes. Everyone likes having fun. Most people aren't criminals.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kit Walker posted:

Guns, unlike many drugs, don't literally grow out of the soil. There's also a pretty big difference between motivation for purchasing them. Drugs are bought because they're fun. Guns would be bought to commit crimes. Everyone likes having fun. Most people aren't criminals.

everyone wants guns though, so if you make guns illegal? we're all criminals

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is the brilliance of the anti-regulation "argument", you pretend hyperbole is the only reasonable discussion then use your own intransigence to dismiss reasonable discussion.

It's either "they want to ban all guns" or "good luck getting mandatory background checks on private sales past the NRA."

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

VW killing people by pumping out toxic gases. What would their founder think of this behavior?

:vince:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You'd think that if guns were so clearly appealing, at least a majority of Americans would own guns, if not a supermajority.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The shooter has been identified, 26yr old (not 20, as originally reported).

Another account of the shooter had him asking if the student was christian -- if replied yes, he shot them in the head; if no, he wounded them.

e: Not posting his name or picture but they are out there

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The real answer to whether or not the community college was a gun free zone is: it doesn't loving matter because shooters do not loving target gun-free zones.

quote:

Perhaps the most glaring flaw in the argument against gun-free zones, in the context of mass shootings, is its underlying assumption that shooters are rational actors. Lott himself admits that about half of criminals who commit mass shootings have received a "formal diagnosis of mental illness," yet his model requires them to act precisely as we know they don't: as hyperrational, calculating machines, intentionally seeking out gun-free environments for the sole purpose of maximizing causalities.

In reality, many shooters target a location based on an emotional grievance or an attachment to a particular person or place. An FBI study of 160 active shootings (defined as a shooter actively attempting to kill people in a populated area, regardless of the amount of fatalities) between 2000 and 2013 -- including the high-profile mass shootings in Tucson and Aurora -- shows that of the shootings that occurred in commercial or educational areas, the shooter had some relationship with the area in 63 percent of the cases.

But if you want to get technical, it looks like it technically was a gun free zone.

quote:

The current policy of the State Board of Education states that people with concealed carry permits are allowed to bring their firearms on campuses, but are not into university buildings, which means a person can roam a campus with a concealed weapon, but if they want to go indoors, they must have somewhere (like the trunk of their car) to store their weapon. Umpqua Community College is not governed by the State Board of Education, but has a similar policy in place.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Nintendo Kid posted:

He thinks it's a good argument because he, against all laws of nature, believes he's addicted to guns, and also that he can totally grow his own assault rifle with extended clip every summer, just like weed.

I don't allow extended clips or any other GM frankenguns on my land. organic firearms only

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gunbunnies are always caught in the best type of pickle when they talk about wanting a social safety net, because they also refuse to vote for anyone in the only major party who gives a poo poo about funding social services since they caucus with Feinstein.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Milk Malk posted:

You asked for it.

This is a direct comparison of U.S. violent crime in areas with AND without gun control legislation. Germany before and after guns were removed as well. Guess when there was more violent crime?

someone please freeze this post in carbonite so that it can be preserved for future generations for worst use of a pie chart since the invetiontions of pies, charts, statistics, logic, organized language, and the impetus of human consiousness

this chart is a Reagan chart

its that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Spaceman Future! posted:

someone please freeze this post in carbonite so that it can be preserved for future generations for worst use of a pie chart since the invetiontions of pies, charts, statistics, logic, organized language, and the impetus of human consiousness

this chart is a Reagan chart

its that bad

it's a joke graph from a gimmick poster, and also funny when people take it seriously

• Locked thread