Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Ugh, popped a rib out of place working in the yard this morning. Don't ask me how, I dunno how I did it. Stood up and it was like someone stabbed me in the upper back. I know SA is not big on chiropractic, but I have a friend who is a chiro and while I usually rib him (:haw:) about it, I got desperate and called him. A 15 minute drive and everything is back into place. I'm still a little tender but at least I'm functional again. We'll see what the next few days hold.

Get your GP to check it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Goober Peas posted:

Ugh, popped a rib out of place working in the yard this morning. Don't ask me how, I dunno how I did it. Stood up and it was like someone stabbed me in the upper back. I know SA is not big on chiropractic, but I have a friend who is a chiro and while I usually rib him (:haw:) about it, I got desperate and called him. A 15 minute drive and everything is back into place. I'm still a little tender but at least I'm functional again. We'll see what the next few days hold.

Chiropractic works for stuff like that. It's the quacks who want to use it to cure everything and ignore every other practice and drug out there that give it a bad name.

ilkhan posted:

You know when people say "don't do drugs" and the idiot kid they are talking to says "shut up old man"?
Yeah, this poo poo is why.

Hope you find something that works better for you. :(

We all have to be stupid, emotional, short-sighted, self-centered youths some time - it's part of becoming an adult. Unfortunately, some people never get past that point.
I wasn't a bad kid, but present me would probably still slap teenage me for a few things.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't mind programming, but I feel like uni hasn't prepared me for the poo poo I see at my internship and I kind of hope that companies will notice that I am extremely not nerdy, have fantastic social skills, and pay me a dece six and a half figgies to manage all the spergy nerds that are better at programming and reading algorithms than i am.

Based on what my friends say, they like you fresh out of uni knowing the concepts so they can train you in how they want you to write their code, and as long as i'm making above a certain amount of money and not working more than 40hrs/wk I don't really care about moving up. I'd rather have that time and energy for my family.

Yeah, the companies are going to teach you their way regardless. I've always felt like college was a way to prove that you would stick with something for years, rather than actually the you what you need to know, at least in present day. Or maybe just a way to force you to work, since now you've got that massive student debt hanging over you (int the USA at least.)

I'm kind of in the middle. I'm not nerdy enough, nor am I people-friendly enough to make six figs any time soon. I'm not particularly ADD, but I tend to be interested in way too much stuff. I'm a jack of many trades, and, as they say, master of none. It comes in handy occasionally, but money-making, not so far.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm hoping this winter is brutal so that my wife remembers why we were considering moving farther south this spring. I'd love to live in Nashville as a happy medium, Tennessee was the friendliest place I had ever visited in my life (said the straight cis-gender white male)

Really though anywhere that has a hot season and a not so hot season is perfect in my book

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cold winters usually lead to increased Autumn births

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't mind programming, but I feel like uni hasn't prepared me for the poo poo I see at my internship and I kind of hope that companies will notice that I am extremely not nerdy, have fantastic social skills, and pay me a dece six and a half figgies to manage all the spergy nerds that are better at programming and reading algorithms than i am.

Based on what my friends say, they like you fresh out of uni knowing the concepts so they can train you in how they want you to write their code, and as long as i'm making above a certain amount of money and not working more than 40hrs/wk I don't really care about moving up. I'd rather have that time and energy for my family.

You're far from alone on this. I know that I wasn't very good at coding when I left school, still aren't all that great, and that's probably why I'm in QA right now. On the bright side, I'm at a company that really appreciates and treats their QA department well and they're a Fortune 100 company. All I can say is I got really, really lucky.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mariooncrack posted:

You're far from alone on this. I know that I wasn't very good at coding when I left school, still aren't all that great, and that's probably why I'm in QA right now. On the bright side, I'm at a company that really appreciates and treats their QA department well and they're a Fortune 100 company. All I can say is I got really, really lucky.

I'd ask if we worked for the same company (I am also in QA), but I know we don't since while everything else you said about your company is true for mine, my company isn't anywhere close to Fortune 100.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

You know when people say "don't do drugs" and the idiot kid they are talking to says "shut up old man"?
Yeah, this poo poo is why.

Hope you find something that works better for you. :(

Ironically i grew up a DARE kid and watched one grandmother dying slowly from the inside out from smoking her entire life.

Then, i start reading articles about people asking why millenials would even WANT to retire at 65 when they could well live 30years longer than that, what are they going to do just sit around? And then decide i dont reallly need to poo poo myself at 80 years old stocking shelves st Oreillys

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

When I first started my internship, I was okay with doing IT the rest of my life because who cares, but now that I've been at it for a while I think I'm good on it. Users are the loving worst and idk why i thought I would be treated better by people in my company than by customers at the Apple Store lol

So yeah any kind of development will make me happy, especially if i can pop an adderall and stare at the screen for eight hours while doing something with my fingers other than shitposting here

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

Ironically i grew up a DARE kid and watched one grandmother dying slowly from the inside out from smoking her entire life.

Then, i start reading articles about people asking why millenials would even WANT to retire at 65 when they could well live 30years longer than that, what are they going to do just sit around? And then decide i dont reallly need to poo poo myself at 80 years old stocking shelves st Oreillys

IDK about you but if I keep up my contributions to my 401(k) and invest more as I get older, I'm looking forward to retiring at 65 and spending my children's inheritance mooching around working on project cars

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Woah October is looking great already. Aunts in the hospital for her heart again. My wife is slowly loosing her mind due to cabin fever. And I need to ask my boss for a raise but all he ever does is complain about how much money we don't make. Or how every job he books is a loss. Its not my fault he underquotes poo poo for his "Friends" or doesn't adjust labor times at all even if its a rolling pile of rust.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

IDK about you but if I keep up my contributions to my 401(k) and invest more as I get older, I'm looking forward to retiring at 65 and spending my children's inheritance mooching around working on project cars

Must be nice :allyears:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Tusen Takk posted:

I seriously get giddy looking over my 401k allocations and Roth IRAs and poo poo. 16 year old me would be ashamed but gently caress that dude he was even more of a dumbass.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My 401k has been doing OK. Not fabulous, but I insulated myself from the last shock. I have been doing moderate (which really at 32, I should be more aggressive) But gently caress it. No one has a crystal ball.

Back to school chat - I think I may be lucky enough to just pay for a giant majority of my learnin' in cash and I was wondering where it all came from.... I haven't bought a car this year..... strange connection.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

I seriously get giddy looking over my 401k allocations and Roth IRAs and poo poo. 16 year old me would be ashamed but gently caress that dude he was even more of a dumbass.

I contribute as much as my employer will match which comes out to 3% base/7% me + 7% them (gonna bump it another 3% to 20% next raise) but I need to grow up and start uhhhh, loving with it allocating or diversifying or whatever the hell it is you do with those things. I also need to figure out what to do with my savings account since I haven't touched it in years and its enough to do something with.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 2, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I get up to 6% matched for my 401k

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Lucky fuckers - we don't get a 401k match if you're and agreement employee. Even non agreement only gets 5% match. But they do contribute to our own pension, which works out to be ... 15-17% (I haven't done the math)

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I am ready to live a life of diapers, filth and senility while all my peers retire in comfort.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I contribute as much as my employer will match which comes out to 10.5% them/7% me (gonna bump it another 2.5% to 20% next raise) but I need to grow up and start uhhhh, loving with it allocating or diversifying or whatever the hell it is you do with those things. I also need to figure out what to do with my savings account since I haven't touched it in years and its enough to do something with.

It's super easy. Pick four or five, go Vanguard if you have it. They're actually structured to be in your best financial interest and they will always have the lowest fees because they operate at cost. Other than that, get a good mix of euro/domestic and pick the ones with the lowest fees. I have 5 picked currently and 3 of them are Vanguard.

Most everything in a 401k is going to be an index fund, which is a "stock" that buys a little bit of every stock to try to follow the market as a whole. In essence you're investing in America (or Europe) when you invest in an index fund.

Never sell when the market tanks. Might take a few years at most, but if you never sold your index funds when they dropped 40% in 2008, you'd still have seen 8% compounded yearly compared to today.

This way is boring, and that's probably why it works so well. Visit BFC and they'll tell you exactly this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My company only matches 4%, but it's 100% vested the instant it goes into the account, which is nice. We also have a pretty nice employee stock purchase thing where we get 15% below book value buying the stock. Just wish I'd had the money to buy a bunch of it the first day I was eligible, as the stock has more than doubled since then.

What I'd really miss if I changed jobs would be the time off benefits, flexible working arrangements and charity stuff. My company is the coolest about letting us go do charity poo poo during company time, and then buying everyone food afterwards. At least once per quarter my entire department (well, everyone who wants to, which is sadly not even half of us) goes off and spends half the day doing charity work, in company provided T-shirts, and then come back to the office for free pizza or subs, before going back to work. In addition to that they give us a few days per year as 'community service days' where we can go do charity stuff on our own and get paid for it as well.

I work from home 2 days per week (which is why I can shitpost during the day some days), and the management is extremely cool about taking partial days to see a doctor, or just run errands or whatever, as long as we get our work done and pull our weight in the group, it's all cool. On days when I'm not feeling well enough for the 1 hour+ commute, but I can still be ok sitting at a computer working, I just log in from home, and they are cool with that as well.

I'd really miss that casual working environment (and the great team feeling of the charity stuff) if I went elsewhere.

Oh yea, they also give me a free day off every year simply for contributing via payroll deduction to an approved charity, which I already did anyway (although not via payroll deduction), so just a bonus day off for something I already did is pretty cool.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

My match sucks some mean dick, but it's a small company so I guess it makes sense?

half-match 3% max, vested 20% each year, after the first year of 0% vesting. What the gently caress.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got a loving 8% match when I was a pharmacy tech at Walgreens ffs :psyduck:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I'm boarding the "October is going to be rad" crew. This time last year, I was working a lovely miserable big-box retail store job after being laid off, girlfriend had broken up with me, and I was living with my parents. Now I'm dating a super awesome and ridiculously cute girl who I met a couple of weeks ago, I'm coming up on one year at my awesome job in the office at a dealership (where a few weeks ago my hard to impress, and anti-social boss had a serious conversation with me about how impressed she was with me, and she badly wants me to be a part of the dealership's future). This week we're moving everything over to our shiny brand new millions-of-dollars dealership that will be our new home as of Monday.

Also, haunted houses and Halloween parties and stuff.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got asked if I wanted to become a tech at a flat rate shop a few days ago. Now today I'm sitting with no money in my pocket looking at torque converters since the one in my truck is apparently whats making noises and giving it way too much thought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have some married friends with an open relationship and they very calmly asked if my girlfriend and I would be into swapping partners sometime. The wife is pretty loving hot so I need to learn to mask my reactions a little better as my girlfriend was not very pleased by the face I must have made. I got a nice smack in the ear for it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rhyno posted:

I have some married friends with an open relationship and they very calmly asked if my girlfriend and I would be into swapping partners sometime. The wife is pretty loving hot so I need to learn to mask my reactions a little better as my girlfriend was not very pleased by the face I must have made. I got a nice smack in the ear for it.

My best friend still gets the evil eye any time Tequila is mentioned in his wife's presence because last time he got hammered on Tequila shots he got super randy and tried to talk her hottest friend into a threesome as the wife stood there objecting the whole time. Tequila is also banned from their house now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LloydDobler posted:

My best friend still gets the evil eye any time Tequila is mentioned in his wife's presence because last time he got hammered on Tequila shots he got super randy and tried to talk her hottest friend into a threesome as the wife stood there objecting the whole time. Tequila is also banned from their house now.

In his defense the friend is crazy hot and also crazy crazy.

The last time I had tequila in a large quantity I may have yelled "COME HAVE SEX WITH US" at one of my friends. And the punchline is, my girlfriend probably would have said yes to it had we privately approached her as she also thinks said friend is hot. But since I screamed it across a parking lot it will never happen.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rough :(

Also whoever got rid of my anime dogtits AV: thank u :swoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Rough :(

Also whoever got rid of my anime dogtits AV: thank u :swoon:

Oh yeah I have been looking for Foresters for you and also you should not move to Tennessee because it's a massive shithole.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah I have been looking for Foresters for you and also you should not move to Tennessee because it's a massive shithole.

Yo when's the next time you come to IKEA? We need to hook up I MEAN meet up or something

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Yo when's the next time you come to IKEA? We need to hook up I MEAN meet up or something

I was just there but it was for work stuff so it was 30 minutes in and out. Probably not gonna be up that way for a while as I think both our stores are IKEA saturated now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I was just there but it was for work stuff so it was 30 minutes in and out. Probably not gonna be up that way for a while as I think both our stores are IKEA saturated now.

He's more used to 30 seconds in and out :haw:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Dude I can't even get out of Ikea in 30m if I'm trying to, teach me your secrets. I feel like I'm in the god drat triwizard maze.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Dude I can't even get out of Ikea in 30m if I'm trying to, teach me your secrets. I feel like I'm in the god drat triwizard maze.

We went straight to the warehouse section, grabbed the shelves we wanted, paid and left!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm hoping this winter is brutal so that my wife remembers why we were considering moving farther south this spring. I'd love to live in Nashville as a happy medium, Tennessee was the friendliest place I had ever visited in my life (said the straight cis-gender white male)

Really though anywhere that has a hot season and a not so hot season is perfect in my book

I live in east Tennessee and the weather's great here. The only downside to the weather is that in spring the air is about 50% pollen. But I can get away with not owning a set of snow tires since we have maybe two or three snow days a year. Plus, no emissions testing in many counties. :toot:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

When I lived 5 minutes from Ikea I went about once a year at most. I don't have a problem with their stuff, but the fact that their website and catalogue isn't everything they stock is not helpful. It took me 2 trips then a call to the helpdesk to find our what I wanted was discontinued. Inreda DVD drawer inserts are fantastic for spanners etc in a tool chest.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I want snow. We need a winter with 8-12" of good snow on the ground. I doubt it will happen this year.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

bennyfactor posted:

Looks like the thing on top was just a keyring loop, and the button said "oh no". Also, of the dozen or so different designs of Y2K Bug plush toys listed on eBay, your parking lot find is the least creepy looking.
Congratulations

Thank you for this! :hfive: I'm still not sure what to do with it yet; it's sitting in the pocket of my driver's door, just waiting for me to give it a name that isn't bug related. :v:

I can still remember the whole :siren::derp:Y2K IS UPON US:derp::siren: nonsense and not being surprised in the least when nothing disastrous happened. Instead, life went on to prepare for the coming 2012 apocalypse and other life-ending calamities that didn't happen at all haven't happened yet. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Anyone who gets hammered on tequila and pretends it's any different from any other 40proof liquor is a noob. It's almost always taken in shots, is usually mixed with beer and therefore is very easy to get Weird with.

I learned to drink with my dad out in the desert on high-proof margaritas, a full arsenal of firepower and unlimited ammunition so I might be a bit biased.

• Locked thread