Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I told you guys not to go crew rescuing loot n scoot mother fuckers.

Now its too late, your away team is going to die. EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF! Get the captain out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Fire up the bayounets and press the button on your lasers that makes them make the camera flash charging sound. Time to face this new menace like the crocs you are!
Strike a heroic pose with your guns out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Did we remember to bring the EMP bursters? If so use them.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Panic Prepare for combat, try not to get killed by the space monster.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bravely send a redshirt to investigate.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

the_steve posted:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

If our team contains a weapons officer we get a first free action, to either try to communicate, or to blindly shoot at whatever it is without retaliation.
Pretty sure that's what it said.
And i'm not a fan at firing indiscriminately, even if it might be the smarter option~

Regallion fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 1, 2015

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001
Shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more and then when everybody's dead try to ask a question or two.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
First

the_steve posted:

Meanwhile/afterwards

Pyroi posted:

Panic Prepare for combat, try not to get killed by the space monster.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

the_steve posted:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Send a red shirt with a live feed cam and betting pools on how fast he gets eviscerated

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I vaguely remembered my older brother being obsessed with this game back when we were kids, so I stopped back home and dug through some boxes in the basement hoping I could find a decent copy of the book. Unfortunately, rats had gotten into most of the boxes and ruined everything. All I could salvage was one unchewed (but piss-soaked) little bag with this guy in it:

I had TOTALLY forgotten that they produced a small run of pewter [-colored plastic] miniatures to go along with the deluxe editions. Kinda bummed I only found the one, but it's pretty lucky that it ended up being our current captain!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JohnnySmitch posted:

I vaguely remembered my older brother being obsessed with this game back when we were kids, so I stopped back home and dug through some boxes in the basement hoping I could find a decent copy of the book. Unfortunately, rats had gotten into most of the boxes and ruined everything. All I could salvage was one unchewed (but piss-soaked) little bag with this guy in it:

I had TOTALLY forgotten that they produced a small run of pewter [-colored plastic] miniatures to go along with the deluxe editions. Kinda bummed I only found the one, but it's pretty lucky that it ended up being our current captain!

:eyepop:
What a major find!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

JohnnySmitch posted:

:captainpop:

That's an original 1987 Captain Caiman! I'd only ever heard about those things, I had no idea any were still around!

By the way we're sending some poor alien bastard to his death ordering a volunteer to scout ahead. Will post the update very soon.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 1, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

Wow, that may seriously be one of maybe like 2 or 3 that are still intact in the world. I'd say that's better than finding the actual game books!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JohnnySmitch posted:

Niiiiiice :)

That's probably worth a fair amount if you can find a buyer. Just make sure Two-Fisted Steve doesn't break your kneecaps.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
:vince:
This is an incredible find! Well done.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Rat pIss soaked figurine ahh yes.

Two fisted steve probably has the other figurine. Don't let him get his hands on yours he'll destroy it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Update

Last page re-scanned (G):

We decided to send a scout out to check out what's ahead(J):

Here's the scout:

That robot would present some difficulties for our "good" fighters. It pops the Haldian like a water balloon full of whatever Haldians are full of. Luckily there are plenty more where that came from, we've even still got a spare in our away team. At least this one got confirmation that the crew is still ticking before he died.

Moving on to AA:

There are some extra options on the other side of the page, but I buggered the scan up, naturally. I'm not sure how I buggered it up in this exact way, but I did.

Next move? Options include
Attempt to kill it
Forget about the whole thing
or one of the options from the other side of the page.

No change to the manifest this time. I think this expansion will come to an end after our next choice and we'll get our loot depending on what we do. Some of it is really handy.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 2, 2015

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

JohnnySmitch posted:

never knew these existed. that thing is sweet and truly captures the soulful essence of our brave captain

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well it's obvious what our course of action should be here. And it's not "leave." Go forward. Move ahead. Try to detect it. It's not too late. We can salvage this. And maybe gain a new crew member. :allears:

First we have to get close enough to talk to it, though. I'd recommend knocking out its sensors. Blind it (with science).

e: I personally never played the x-pac as the Caimen, but glancing ahead it looks like (don't read if you haven't played) this is both an excellent plot twist and completely believable as something that would show up in an expansion pack, I love it :golfclap:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Looks like we got a new crewmmate coming up. I say we seduce it with similar tunes to what it may like in music and dub it Murderbot in charge of security and murder.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
SuGaBA is unquestionably the most competent advisor or crewmember we have and honestly we should do pretty much whatever he/she/it says.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Put our talking heads together to Recruit It. Arm it with sex pistols and promise it target practice on a flock of seagulls.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Well it's obvious what our course of action should be here. And it's not "leave." Go forward. Move ahead. Try to detect it. It's not too late. We can salvage this. And maybe gain a new crew member. :allears:

First we have to get close enough to talk to it, though. I'd recommend knocking out its sensors. Blind it (with science).

e: I personally never played the x-pac as the Caimen, but glancing ahead it looks like (don't read if you haven't played) this is both an excellent plot twist and completely believable as something that would show up in an expansion pack, I love it :golfclap:

Concur. Blind it with science, then recruit it while it's helpless.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Try to recruit it, as per SuGaBa's advice.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

the_steve posted:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
this could be our first competent crew member

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

the_steve posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Recruit New Wave Bot. After all, are we caimen? We are DEVO!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Nation posted:

this could be our first competent crew member

If by competent you mean insane and filled with murder. Then yes.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

However we have a cultural thingaging don't we? As we have to need for the diusco alliance part of it, i am sure we can use it to get a leg up on whatever we end up deciding.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Recruit New Wave Robot

Pardon me, Mister New Wave Robot, but I've got a gut feeling that these disgusting discobots treated you as little more than space junk. Or worse, perhaps impressed you into service, like a slave working in a coal mine. Well, we Caimans believe in one thing above all else: freedom of choice.

I know a part of your programming must be giving you an uncontrollable urge to destroy us...but you're no spud. Use your freedom of choice...your freedom of choice! Join us, and together, we'll help you get the satisfaction you so richly deserve!

I see you jerking back and forth, torn between two impulses. But when a problem comes along, you must whip it!

Mister, kamikaze is of no interest to my men and I. We wish no combat. Only to help you get off this burning hulk, outwit the coming fleet of death, and escape to a beautiful world...

For you!

Asterios fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 2, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Ignore SuGaBa. "Oi! Who the hell are you? Worship me or feel the pain of a thousand jaw teeth! "

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Giving SuGaBa a badass death-robot created by its own virus is a bad idea. The thing's existence is sketchy, since it's not what should have happened, and SuGaBa's sudden eagerness is downright suspicious. SuGaBa can't betray us as per its programming, but this thing would be a giant x-factor.

How long until this thing is painting the halls of the ship in Caiman blood while SuGaBa insists that, no, there's no problem, everything is fine, and also all weapons and that onboard combat booster feature have been shut down for maintenance?

What I'm saying is, recruit the New Wave Robot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Giving SuGaBa a badass death-robot created by its own virus is a bad idea. The thing's existence is sketchy, since it's not what should have happened, and SuGaBa's sudden eagerness is downright suspicious. SuGaBa can't betray us as per its programming, but this thing would be a giant x-factor.

How long until this thing is painting the halls of the ship in Caiman blood while SuGaBa insists that, no, there's no problem, everything is fine, and also all weapons and that onboard combat booster feature have been shut down for maintenance?

What I'm saying is, recruit the New Wave Robot.

A blurry grey thing couldn't possibly spell disaster for the caimans and herald the arrival of a superior amalgamized cyborg race.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

the_steve posted:

BadgerSeat
Feb 28, 2006

Would you like to see where I keep my severed heads?
Follow SuGaBa's advice and find out if it can be of any use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Recruit Fn-Bot 3!

• Locked thread