Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

I can't see the point of redoing Pumaman. The MST3K episode knocked it out of the park, and it'd be the same riffers as before. Unless there were some really hilarious scenes that got cut for time

The Rifftrax redos have been great, but I think that's because they've mostly been doing stuff where Mike wasn't the host, and Bill wasn't Crow (Manos, The Magic Sword). Though I will say their recent take on Santa Claus—one of Mike's earliest episodes, and probably my favorite—didn't disappoint. There's just a lot of new jokes to tell in the 20-25 years since these episodes aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Having those insane scenes that were originally cut for time were a big plus on that one.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

raditts posted:

I felt that the "William from Georgia to Harlem" short was a good companion to Death Promise, it was the same kind of mix of baffling scenes and dialogue mashed together in a lovely 70's urban setting.

All part of the Guy from Harlem Trilogy

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

bobservo posted:

The Rifftrax redos have been great, but I think that's because they've mostly been doing stuff where Mike wasn't the host, and Bill wasn't Crow (Manos, The Magic Sword). Though I will say their recent take on Santa Claus—one of Mike's earliest episodes, and probably my favorite—didn't disappoint. There's just a lot of new jokes to tell in the 20-25 years since these episodes aired.

***Crosses fingers and hopes for a return of Ro-Man in Robot Monster***

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

All part of the Guy from Harlem Trilogy
I like that "Guy From Harlem" is sort of becoming a new genre.

Like how "Last Slumber Party" is the Guy From Harlem of slasher flicks.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like that "Guy From Harlem" is sort of becoming a new genre.

Like how "Last Slumber Party" is the Guy From Harlem of slasher flicks.

"Guy From Harlem" would be a genre even if it were the only movie in said genre.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SirPhoebos posted:

I can't see the point of redoing Pumaman. The MST3K episode knocked it out of the park, and it'd be the same riffers as before. Unless there were some really hilarious scenes that got cut for time

There's at least one: Tony tries to run away from Vladino in his car and Vladino picks it up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SirPhoebos posted:

I dunno, they could probably come up with new jokes that are just as good. There were some hilarious things added to the live version of The Room that weren't in the original riff, namely "hip dick".

What I really want them to do some day is Disco Godfather, because holy poo poo that movie. If you liked TWO THINGS in Guy From Harlem, get ready for THREE THINGS

also ANGEL DUSS

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 29, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

raditts posted:

What I really want them to do some day is Disco Godfather, because holy poo poo that movie. If you liked TWO THINGS in Guy From Harlem, get ready for THREE THINGS
Oh my god I NEED this movie in my life.

quote:

also ANGEL DUSS
Call an ammalance!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I own Disco Godfather on DVD and it is a one hundred percent mandatory watch. The climax is a ten minute long Rudy Ray Moore aaaangel dusssss freakout that is worth the price of admission alone.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

raditts posted:

I dunno, they could probably come up with new jokes that are just as good. There were some hilarious things added to the live version of The Room that weren't in the original riff, namely "hip dick".

also ANGEL DUSS

OMG that's amazing. Paging rereedrumr to make this happen.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Hey guys, I watched your exercise video and I definitely put some weight on it put some weight on it put some weight on it. But now my ankle is broken. Please advise.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Can't wait for Miami Connection tomorrow!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

2DCAT posted:

Can't wait for Miami Connection tomorrow!!
Same here :hfive:

It's a legitimately enjoyable movie so I'm not excited to see them rip it to shreds or anything. I'm just happy to see the movie again (and for the first time on the big screen) and whatever short they play beforehand.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Same here :hfive:

It's a legitimately enjoyable movie so I'm not excited to see them rip it to shreds or anything. I'm just happy to see the movie again (and for the first time on the big screen) and whatever short they play beforehand.

yeah, it's an amazing film. can't wait to hear how a couple of the jokes play out tonight ;)

i was always rather confused as to why Drafthouse Films had the licensing for the film the way it was once the picked it up. I remember talking to the Alamo guys waaay back and they seemed to really love the MST3K/Rifftrax folks, and I figured they would have cut them a super-awesome deal. I always got the impression that they sort of picked the film up BECAUSE of them. At either rate... things look good now, and maybe this means we'll be seeing Dangerous Men next year! ;)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

raditts posted:

I hope they redo P'YOUMAMAN for Rifftrax, that was one of my favorite MST3Ks.

This was the episode that got me hooked on MST3k. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Paste Magazine just put out an interview with Y.K. Kim about Miami Connection and tonight's Rifftrax.

This guy is like the anti-Tommy Wiseau.

quote:

Paste: The actors in it, they were all your students? What did they think of the finished movie?

Kim: Yes, everyone was my student and nobody knew how to make a movie. I had thousands of students at the time, though. I promised my students that I would show them the movie in a theater, so there was no way to stop it even if I wanted to stop it. I made a promise.

quote:

Paste: So what do you think of groups like RiffTrax that mock a film like Miami Connection for entertainment, then? Will you be watching?

Kim: I really appreciate them, because without them they’re not going to show the film. If they can make the audience happy, I think that is the most important thing. Of course I’ll be watching. They will make very much fun of me, but that is the freedom of this country.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
YK is a cool dude. I had the chance to talk to him a few years back. I still remember the day when I saw YK's name and face on bill bartolone's webpage. It was like a merging of rifftrax and found footage festival.

I'll have to upload some bill bartolone tapes from the 80s one of these days...they're insanely hilarious/bad.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So he's likable and sane

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Surprised to see the pre show slide with the mash up joke of Heavy Rain and Shaun the Sheep.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

My body is loving ready!

It also feels good to be in a theatre with normal seats and not recliners.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

muscles like this? posted:

Surprised to see the pre show slide with the mash up joke of Heavy Rain and Shaun the Sheep.

That was intentional? I figured heavy rain was way too obscure.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh goody, the audio feed from the satellite was dead for a while, and a manager just came in to tell us it might cut out entirely from the rain

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Our slides are all jittery and epilepsy inducing. Hope they fix it..

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gozinbulx posted:

Our slides are all jittery and epilepsy inducing. Hope they fix it..

Oh, phew, it's not just my theatre.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am glad I learned about the live show. Today has been amazingly terrible and I can use a pick me up.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Checking in oh god measuring man!!!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Is a VOD of Miami Connection part of the Kickstarter? I'm gonna have to miss it but do want to see it.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Did they do any editing? Rifftrax?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
When they took potshots at reddit and mensrights these 2 nerds in my theater booed them, lol.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

PrinceRandom posted:

Have they ever done editing? They always have a lot of long unnecessary bits that would have been the first to go if they were cutting for time

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That might be one of the best live shows they've ever done. Top 5, easily.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

No for the movie.

How did they figure out mustache guitar man was kidnapped?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is there going to be a second showing? I'm horribly sick and had to miss it.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is there going to be a second showing? I'm horribly sick and had to miss it.

Yes, in a week.

Anyone photo the pre show slides? They showed ads and trailers on top of the slides at my theater, it was crazy. (At least they actually showed them unlike the last time).

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

They cut a couple shots of the biker girlfriends flashing their boobs at the camera.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DivisionPost posted:

That might be one of the best live shows they've ever done. Top 5, easily.

Definitely. Miami Connection being an amazing movie doesn't hurt either.

When it comes to "bad" movies, I would much rather watch Miami Connection than the Room, Troll 2, or Birdemic.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Miami Connection was good but sorta what I've said about doing cult movies - they hold up on their own so there's a ceiling of comedy you're gonna hit.

That said - fuckin' Measurement Man tho.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

Definitely. Miami Connection being an amazing movie doesn't hurt either.

When it comes to "bad" movies, I would much rather watch Miami Connection than the Room, Troll 2, or Birdemic.
It has a lot more personality and a sense of fun to it, plus it doesn't have the unpleasant undertones of The Room or the downer 'gotcha' ending of Troll 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Robert Denby posted:

It has a lot more personality and a sense of fun to it, plus it doesn't have the unpleasant undertones of The Room or the downer 'gotcha' ending of Troll 2.

Yeah a great bad movie is made with heart and this clearly is for a different reason than The Room. I would buy YK Kim a beer. Friends through eternity, loyalty, honesty.

• Locked thread