Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Even for a disinterested party, it is so disheartening that some loving sperglord is judging his young son's taste in minecraft modpacks that I can't possibly joke about it. This kid is so unbelievably hosed it's like watching the first world version of a Christian Children's Fund commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hello i neeed help w/ computer.

my iphones sound keeps loving up. the volume will be super low and then i kill off facebook app and it gets really loud, up to normal volume. this happens even when apps are in the bg. several different apps seem to be responsible, so I'd keep killing them off until the volume goes back to normal. its making my sleepy time alarm clock useless since the volume goes way way way down (↓).

iphone 6 running latest ios. been happening for like a month, especially noticible when blasting tunes in the car

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

stop using facebook

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
cool thanks it worked!

it happens w/ other apps too. like even goog maps fucks up the sound and wont tell me directions if its in the bg

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

obstipator posted:

cool thanks it worked!

great news dude! pleasure to be of service

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i know there's a built in ducking feature for alert sounds, maybe something has hosed up and it doesn't ever "un-duck" the sound, does changing the alert volume (as opposed to the music volume) help?

also did you fully reboot your phone

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i know there's a built in ducking feature for alert sounds, maybe something has hosed up and it doesn't ever "un-duck" the sound, does changing the alert volume (as opposed to the music volume) help?

also did you fully reboot your phone

i think it fully restarted when i got the newest ios. i just now changed alert volume and restarted and hopefully it wont do that anymore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i uninstalled facebook from ios. terrible app. facebook messenger can stay though because for some people its the only way they get in contact

platonicbackrub
Sep 8, 2015

echinopsis posted:

i uninstalled facebook from ios. terrible app. facebook messenger can stay though because for some people its the only way they get in contact

on anrodi you have to have the facebook app installed to even use messenger

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

buttkiss posted:

on anrodi you have to have the facebook app installed to even use messenger
lol no you don't

platonicbackrub
Sep 8, 2015

anthonypants posted:

lol no you don't

are u telling me i coul;d have been chatting w babesd all day

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

buttkiss posted:

are u telling me i coul;d have been chatting w babesd all day

dont post lies

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

why is the app store the slowest app on my iphone

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
whats good backup software for backing up to ftp?

also is ftp the best protcol to use?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ftp is dead and bad
use an automated backup thing that diffs and versions all your files

if you insist of manually transferring files use something like WInSCP

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

ftp is dead and bad
use an automated backup thing that diffs and versions all your files

if you insist of manually transferring files use something like WInSCP

any free options for that?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

crashplan is free if you don't use their clod

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Bittorrent sync is good for backing up one folder to another location

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Any iOS gurus ITT? I'm trying to set up an ipad as a survey unit to be placed in a public area in a locked display unit; all good, the Guided Access tool allows me to lock to one app, and using Atomic Browser I can fullscreen and turn off all controls.

https://www.bouncepad.com/knowhow/lock-ipad-tablet-kiosk-mode/

Only niggle; when in Guided Access on every page change you get a 'Guided Access is running' popdown from the top of the device and after a bunch of due diligence googling I can't find a fix :mad:

Not a showstopper, but help plz if possible.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

gargle chome posted:

whats good backup software for backing up to ftp?

also is ftp the best protcol to use?

why are you using ftp instead of backblaze

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

also why does it need to be free

"hmm yes i want someone to keep all my data safe but i don't want to pay anything"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Any iOS gurus ITT? I'm trying to set up an ipad as a survey unit to be placed in a public area in a locked display unit; all good, the Guided Access tool allows me to lock to one app, and using Atomic Browser I can fullscreen and turn off all controls.

https://www.bouncepad.com/knowhow/lock-ipad-tablet-kiosk-mode/

Only niggle; when in Guided Access on every page change you get a 'Guided Access is running' popdown from the top of the device and after a bunch of due diligence googling I can't find a fix :mad:

Not a showstopper, but help plz if possible.

Hmm, this 'Kiosk Pro Lite' app automates all the browser security and also has a setting to suppress the popdown, I will give it a spin.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh got a new monitor but there is some hosed up scaling going on

found out about running a display driver uninstaller in safe mode. fixes the problem only then no display driver running so cant do game making or you know any kind of graphical acceleration. latest

I have to "underscan" the image to fit the monitor and it fits perfectly its just scaled and looks ugly as gently caress. i know it CAN work given that it works without a driver.. gently caress

maybe i just gotta keep trying different driver versions

e: i had a similar problem when i started using other monitor but fixed that with changing overscan setting (it was set to underscan) to max overscan which made image correct size and then no weird scaling

this one however no overscan setting makes pictuer good, even with or without black bars

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 1, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
are you using a tv on an old video card or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
TV yeah but not old card, Radeon r9 270

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

TV yeah but not old card, Radeon r9 270

so you're not using a monitor, you're using a tv

did you check the tv settings for an overscan mode or any other fuckery that tvs do to process a signal?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have same brand TV in 40
and when I first used it the overscan was set wrong and moving it fixed it but this 50" I can get it to right size but it's some kind of hosed interpolation

and I know it can work coz generic driver works

I haven't hosed around in the TV settings yet maybe that will help but this TV is pretty fuxkin featureless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

so you're not using a monitor, you're using a tv

did you check the tv settings for an overscan mode or any other fuckery that tvs do to process a signal?

maybe but like I said it works fine without any amd drivers loaded

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
is there any game/pc mode for the tv?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

maybe but like I said it works fine without any amd drivers loaded
you're so close

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dodoman posted:

is there any game/pc mode for the tv?

I don't think so, ill double check but this TV is very featureless I don't think it's capable of any kind of processing, it's by default game mode

but yeah it works fine without drivers I fail to see how the TV is the factor here but ok open minded and will check it when I get home

I guess spending an evening doing safe mode reboots and driver installing is the price I pay for a cheap TV as a monitor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

you're so close

:cry:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
also check your tv actually supports the proper resolution, maybe check 720p?
also maybe try via VGA instead of HDMI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how many peple have read that it works perfectly fine when i uninstall my drivers??? 1920x1080 in crisp uniform pixels! hahah i apprecaite all your help but the problem I dno't think is the tv but the mother fuckin graphics driver doing loopy poo poo when it thinks it sees an HDTV

my video card doesnt have vga out so i mean I could trial the VGA out on the back of the motehrboiard but at the end of the day welp

apparently using a dvi to hdmi adapter can work. might go buy one tomorrow... basically gotta shortcut that signal to the video card that its a hdtv rather than just a dispay. if it doesnt work well idk what I will do, get used to hosed up interpo[lation?? ugh. 720p seems to work ok with the ugly effect

imown dvi to vga and could have tried that but cant find that stupid piece of poo poo adapter

thanks for the tips guys

oh and yeah there were 0 settings that werent about coloyr temp etc on tv. its bare bones motherfucker! thats why i liked the 40" one im using right now.. was hopeing 50" would be identical but bigger

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 2, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im a total human being moron who couldnt operate the menu on the tv

i had to turn the aspect ration in a part of the menu i didnt know to point to point rather than 16:9

turns out it was the tv

fuckin herll echi. get a job

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
man you fuckin echi

that's some red herring poo poo about the driver though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be hosed off at my own stupidity except well now it wrks and now my monitor is 50"
not just 40" so my dpi just went down to approx 1/27th of that of a new iMac

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

why do you need a 50" desk monitor, is there something wrong with your eyes?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no its more that my living room tv is actually my pc monitor

its in my living room

its living room size

and a computer monitor

good for watching pirated things. possibly streaming from russian football sites. idk i dont do that

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i imagined a 50" tv sitting on a computer desk