Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Probably slipping out of gear. My knowledge of automatics is limited to old school hydramatic but my theory has been one of the planetary gear sets disengage forcing you down a gear, which is why he got a handful of neutrals the first two tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Also, please use spigot rings with aftermarket wheels.
First time I've heard them called anything other than "hubcentric" rings. Neat.

Using those always seems to confuse tire shops in my area.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yesterday I was at the gas station and this newer Odyssey had parked its fat rear end in front of the pump I wanted to use. So I sat there pumping gas at the lovely pump with a sour face on.

Anyway the owner came out and got in and put it in gear. Along with the sound of the engine revs climbing I heard a diff like rotational whining-grinding sound and then a loud THUMP. Then the van jerked forward a bit. Two more of these and then he was on his way as I stared in disbelief.

I'm not familiar enough with automatics to figure out what that was but I'm going to guess it was the torque converter. Weird as poo poo. Dude didn't seem to care.

Sounds like SOP for a V6 Honda autobox. :v:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Aren't Honda automatics more akin to a regular manual box but with clutches instead of selector forks/rings?

Note: I have never ever touched an auto box from Honda or otherwise.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Fifty Three posted:

First time I've heard them called anything other than "hubcentric" rings. Neat.

Using those always seems to confuse tire shops in my area.

The special ed techs at my local tire shop stripped out both rear hubs on my previous car because they forgot to the hub rings back in when I went in for a rotation/balance. I left, drove around and would get a vibration at around 60 mph, took it back, rebalanced, same issue. Third time I brought it back in, the manager goes to check and notices the hubrings are missing. I no longer let those monkeys touch my car, I'll do my own balancing and rotation from here on out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

Aren't Honda automatics more akin to a regular manual box but with clutches instead of selector forks/rings?

Note: I have never ever touched an auto box from Honda or otherwise.

Yup.

They also do a cvt with a clutch instead of a torque converter and it's about as reliable as you're imagining.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
So I heard a loud crash outside our shop today. I go outside to see what it was, and look across the alley that divides our shop from the Hyundai dealership shop...

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Budget Monty posted:

So I heard a loud crash outside our shop today. I go outside to see what it was, and look across the alley that divides our shop from the Hyundai dealership shop...

Can you imagine the call to the owner?

"Promise you won't be angry?"

"I can't promise that."

"Well..."

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well that's not gone well, thats not gone well at all.

Meanwhile at the service writers desk.
Sw: hi we need to keep the car for a few days we need to order a part
C:really I just have it in for an oil change and rotation.
Sw: yeah well the crush washers for the lugs are out of stock and we are out of oil filters for this model. Should be just a few days well drive a loaner out to your house so you don't need to come all the way here.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

Can you imagine the call to the owner?

"Promise you won't be angry?"

"I can't promise that."

"Well..."

"How would you like a new car?"

"Why?"

"Just take it."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Plinkey posted:

"Why?"

"Just take it."

You're forgetting its a hyundai dealership.

"How would you like a used 13 year old civic?" would be the better resolution.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

You're forgetting its a hyundai dealership.

"How would you like a used 13 year old civic?" would be the better resolution.

"Hey, it's new to you!"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If someone at the dealer called and told me that they broke my hyundai I don't think I'd care that much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least it's easy to get at the suspension when it's like that, and it looks like it needs some repairs. Everyone wins!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jamal posted:

If someone at the dealer called and told me that they broke my hyundai I don't think I'd care that much.

Super aggro crag in 3....2...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

Super aggro crag in 3....2...
A good way to get out of that car loan if he paid for the gap coverage, though that would require making good choices.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Budget Monty posted:

The car clearly wants someone to give it a belly rub, so I fail to see the problem here.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The biggest question about that photo is why are there no people in it?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
They're getting their own tummy rubs from the Hyundai, obviously.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

The biggest question about that photo is why are there no people in it?

Because every tech immediately ran to the opposite side of the dealership and is pretending to be doing something else.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Budget Monty posted:

Just checking the dealership special underbody coating... Yep, looks good!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Plinkey posted:

"Why?"

"Just take it."

HA.. you don't know dealers.
My friend worked for a dealership..
Went to deliver a truck to a customer ~60 miles away.. it started snowing and he put it into a guardrail and damaged the bodywork on the bed a bit.
Called customer "Um.. it's starting to snow a bit, I don't want to smash up your new truck.. I'll deliver it next week when I'm back at work."

Back to the body shop for a repair.

Delivered back to the customer.. nothing was ever mentioned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Saga posted:

Because every tech immediately ran to the opposite side of the dealership and is pretending to be doing something else.

The only people walking towards something like that are the ones who don't work in there.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This morning I went to rotate the tires on the subie. It's a new to me car, so I haven't gone over it all the way, and apparently the PO had some tires installed on the front. Luckily the tread depths are all the same, but the installers put the tires on the wheels with the 'inside' facing to the outside.

Drove by discount tire and had them flip em around, x pattern rotate, and pull a nail from the left rear. Is there any problem with running tires 'inside out' like that? I assume tires are labeled 'inside' and 'outside' for some reason.

e: after some quick googling, another poor soul had these michelin defender x greens installed backwards on his prius too, someone posted:

quote:

According to Tire Rack, Michelin Defenders have a "mildly asymmetric tread design" which is why they have inside/outside markings. You should get them remounted in the correct orientation ASAP. The dealer should correct this at no charge to you.

I wonder if this is that strange growling noise this car's been making.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 2, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yes, some tires do have an inside and outside, some are rotational, some are both. As long as its directional and not asymetric, doing a xrotation like that is fine. If it says inside on the outside, they're going to perform like poo poo.

My Continental DSW and WinterExtremes both have an inside and outside, but are not directional.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Budget Monty posted:

HOW do you gently caress up racking a car that get racked on pinch welds. I dont even bend over when racking poo poo like that, just kick the feet under it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Preoptopus posted:

HOW do you gently caress up racking a car that get racked on pinch welds. I dont even bend over when racking poo poo like that, just kick the feet under it.

I can't completely tell from here but it kinda looks like only one arm went up (or the right arm was not solidly under the car and slipped out) and that's why it flipped sideways instead of forward or backwards.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If only one arm went up hopefully the operator would notice it as soon as the car starts to come off the ground, not when it's five feet up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Preoptopus posted:

That's probably what he did. Except one of the rear pads was under the door sill and not all the way to the pinch weld.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Statistics.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

jamal posted:

That's probably what he did. Except one of the rear pads was under the door sill and not all the way to the pinch weld.

I mean I shake the bitch when its just off the ground....

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

There's a metric gently caress load of cars you can and will absolutely destroy or break things on doing it this way and if you haven't yet it's because you keep clicking on the empty chamber when you pull the trigger

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

14 INCH DICK posted:

There's a metric gently caress load of cars you can and will absolutely destroy or break things on doing it this way and if you haven't yet it's because you keep clicking on the empty chamber when you pull the trigger

Indeed. Like mine. :bahgawd:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

"Why?"

"Just take it."

Seriously though. Isn't that pretty much replacement car time?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

Seriously though. Isn't that pretty much replacement car time?

Depends on whether the company gives a poo poo. They might just let insurance sort it out and the owner will get a check for the value of the vehicle and they're stuck finding something on their own.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

xzzy posted:

Depends on whether the company gives a poo poo. They might just let insurance sort it out and the owner will get a check for the value of the vehicle and they're stuck finding something on their own.

Also depends if the dealer even says anything.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

iwentdoodie posted:

Also depends if the dealer even says anything.

Pretty sure a car falling off a lift isn't one of those minor fender-benders that you can sweep under the rug before the customer comes to pick up their car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Yep it says right here on the service sheet you signed when you came in. There was scratches on the rear quarter and we all agreed to it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

El Jebus posted:

I can't completely tell from here but it kinda looks like only one arm went up (or the right arm was not solidly under the car and slipped out) and that's why it flipped sideways instead of forward or backwards.

Yeah the pic perfectly obscures whether the other arm is up or not. We need to know!