Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Talonbane Cobra (original character) is not very good. Expensive and dies really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What are "ion hogs"?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

y-wings with BTL and ion cannons IIRC

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lol they are giving away C3PO in the store championship kits : https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/2/2016-x-wing-store-championships/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

alg posted:

Lol they are giving away C3PO in the store championship kits : https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/2/2016-x-wing-store-championships/

Yeah, they are putting Howard Jackson in Netrunner kits, too. Maybe they really want to get people to go to these things this year

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Expected to see people bitching at C3PO being available in the FFG forums, alas no such luck.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tekopo posted:

Expected to see people bitching at C3PO being available in the FFG forums, alas no such luck.

Why would they be mad? Is it because they spent $70 on the Tantive IV for that card for their Fat Han and now almost anyone who shows up in the tournament will get one?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

canyoneer posted:

Why would they be mad? Is it because they spent $70 on the Tantive IV for that card for their Fat Han and now almost anyone who shows up in the tournament will get one?

R2-D2 is still a $70 card, the system still works.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

can't wait to shame people with welfare 3pos :smuggo:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
So when does Scum get its own threepio and artoo?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Their threepio and artoo are called bossk and k4 security droid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Scum have great crew and amazing astromech options

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

alg posted:

Scum have great crew and amazing astromech options

Scum crew are more geared toward action multiplication than defense or offense in and of themselves, which is a pretty cool direction.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

God K4 Security Droid is easily one of the best crew cards in the game such that when I once considered running an Imperial Firespray I was at a loss as to what to actually put in the crew slot. I mean sure, maybe like Rebel Captive or something, but then I'd be missing out on that beautiful action economy.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 3, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wonder if they'll ever release a scum big ship with more than 2 crew slots apart from the tooth. Cause man is gunner + bossk loving awesome

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ultimate Tag Team Ft. Bossk

Scum Firespray, Boba Fett, Push the Limit, Bossk, Engine Upgrade, Slave I, Seismic Charges, Extra Munitions (52 points)
Scum Firespray, Kath Scarlet, Push the Limit, K4 Security Droid, Engine Upgrade (48 points)
Total: 100 points

I wouldn't actually go out and buy another Firespray and a YV-666 and something else with Push the Limit just to run this on top of what I already own, but it's tempting. The action efficiency from green maneuver plus Push every turn is nuts especially with Boost being so good at picking up the slack on a large ship, and already being stressed mitigates the disadvantage of Bossk on top of Fett being high-skilled so he has a good shot of using the free focus token on the defense later in the round.

I think I've posted about it a lot, but that Kath is my comfort zone and I don't run a scum list without her. I was excited about the YV-666 until they specifically nerfed Tactician in response to it having 3 crew slots and a 180 degree firing arc, so I just said gently caress it and went back to Kath.

I want to try running 3 Ion/Unhinged/BTL-A4 Y-wings and N'Dru Suhlak with Lone Wolf, Cloaking Device, and Cluster Missiles though. N'Dru can skulk around on his own with the dual mind games effect of no one wanting him to shove the missiles up their tailpipe while having the Ys present themselves as an easier and more immediate target. It would be interesting to see how many people ignore him in favour of the Ys or break to try to deal with him.

I want to try fitting Palob and a Cloak into a list with Kath somehow but it's hard to find a third ship for the void that's left, there's just barely too little for a Y and I don't know what else I'd want that could pick up the slack. Maybe the G-1A will be cheap enough (3 dice and 8 HP for a point cost similar to the generic B-wings would be nice) and I'll be getting one for the cloak anyway.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I dunno, I always feel that Bossk is kind of wasted if you don't pair him with gunner. With gunner he's a much better luke in all respects.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

If it's a movie promo I will ditch the original and use this one. :peanut:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Are those posters ever sold independently or up for prizes? 'cause that interceptor poster is pretty sweet.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Usually the poster is given out after a tournament back in nova.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ya I've been collecting them for awhile. Haven't put any up in the human cave yet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a escalation event coming up locally that starts at 60 pts that I'd like to join in on. I'm not the best at list building so I'd like to see if this is decent or if I should try something else

So far I'm thinking for my start:
Trandoshan Slaver (29)
-Bossk (2)
-Tactician (2)
-Gunner (5)

Cartel Marauder (20)

Which leaves me with 2 more points, but I'm thinking of just leaving it as is since my next add-in for the 90 point round is 31 points. I also can't really think of a one-point fill that I really need.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

So I came 6th out of 11 people at today's Summer Kit tournament, and I discovered something horrible about myself.

I... I love the K-Wing...

Especially with Miranda. Being able to regenerate shields is incredibly useful, and the SLAM is hilarious when you do 3-bank manoeuvres. I had more fun with the K-Wing than I've had in a while with a lot of different ships.

I also experienced a moment of fiscal irresponsibility and bought the Force Awakens core set. That X-Wing is just gorgeous, and I'm already thinking up ways to put it in lists with my K-Wing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Floppychop posted:

There's a escalation event coming up locally that starts at 60 pts that I'd like to join in on. I'm not the best at list building so I'd like to see if this is decent or if I should try something else

So far I'm thinking for my start:
Trandoshan Slaver (29)
-Bossk (2)
-Tactician (2)
-Gunner (5)

Cartel Marauder (20)

Which leaves me with 2 more points, but I'm thinking of just leaving it as is since my next add-in for the 90 point round is 31 points. I also can't really think of a one-point fill that I really need.

Inertial dampeners is my go-to but it's a great build anyway.

Endman posted:

So I came 6th out of 11 people at today's Summer Kit tournament, and I discovered something horrible about myself.

I... I love the K-Wing...

Especially with Miranda. Being able to regenerate shields is incredibly useful, and the SLAM is hilarious when you do 3-bank manoeuvres. I had more fun with the K-Wing than I've had in a while with a lot of different ships.

I also experienced a moment of fiscal irresponsibility and bought the Force Awakens core set. That X-Wing is just gorgeous, and I'm already thinking up ways to put it in lists with my K-Wing.

Miranda with no ordnance but a TLT and a defensive crew is a strong build- she can kinda just roll around pewpewing with her TLT annoyingly regenning her shields which is great when you have some kind of other threat.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Someone tell me exactly how awful this list is.

TIE Interceptor: · Soontir Fel (27)
Push The Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Stealth Device (3)

TIE Punisher: · "Redline" (27)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Fire Control System (2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Lambda-Class Shuttle: Omicron Group Pilot (21)
· Darth Vader (3)

Total: 99

I love how punishers look but am not yet confident enough in my ability to fly to use bombs effectively.

I figure redline is the obvious target but if they focus the punisher down that gives soontir more time to get behind them and more time for Vader to do his thing.

Deploy the shuttle and redline together with soontir on the other side. Redline hopefully survives a couple of turns of fire and gets some ordinance off then he can 3 bank and boost away to bug out and hopefully come back later for some opportunistic shots. By this point hopefully soontir has looped around behind and now the enemy is between the hammer and anvil that is the shuttle and the interceptor.

I doubt the plan will survive contact with the enemy but at least there is a plan.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Someone tell me exactly how awful this list is.

Push The Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Stealth Device (3)

Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Fire Control System (2)

· Darth Vader (3)

Total: 99

I love how punishers look but am not yet confident enough in my ability to fly to use bombs effectively.

I figure redline is the obvious target but if they focus the punisher down that gives soontir more time to get behind them and more time for Vader to do his thing.

Deploy the shuttle and redline together with soontir on the other side. Redline hopefully survives a couple of turns of fire and gets some ordinance off then he can 3 bank and boost away to bug out and hopefully come back later for some opportunistic shots. By this point hopefully soontir has looped around behind and now the enemy is between the hammer and anvil that is the shuttle and the interceptor.

I doubt the plan will survive contact with the enemy but at least there is a plan.

I've been running Punishers for a couple of weeks now. You can't let the Punisher be the obvious target. They're tough--I've never lost one in a single round--but they're not tough enough to withstand more than one round of concentrated fire.

You want something else big and beefy enough that the enemy isn't sure who to target. Whichever they go after, punish them for it. I'm using a basic Bounty Hunter Firespray right now for this purpose, but I've considered using two Punishers instead.

With Redline, you want to hold back. Start facing or at an angle. Do 1-forwards every round, or just kind of drunkenly weave about with 1-banks. Make the enemy come to you, preferably when they can't all shoot you at once. Best, get them to chase Soontir around. Either way, unleash hell once they get in range of your missiles. If you get off even half your ordnance, it's usually worth it. If you get it all off, you're probably well on your way to a win.

This is the complete opposite of Deathrain, who you want to get right in the middle of things. If you start a round anywhere near an enemy, Deathrain can bomb them.

I don't know much about the Shuttle, but talk at my FLGS is that they kinda suck. If that's true, consider dropping it for a couple of academy pilots to use as blockers and harriers.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I too have a list that I'd like some input on:

quote:

Darth Vader (29)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Bounty Hunter (33)

Bounty Hunter (33)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I'm interested in doing a two Firespray + something else list, although I'm not sure if I'm being as cost-effective as possible. Did a test match earlier and went well, although I'm still not sure about it and if I should make any changes - like swapping out Vader for a Phantom or something, although it's hard to say.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Major Isoor posted:

I'm interested in doing a two Firespray + something else list, although I'm not sure if I'm being as cost-effective as possible. Did a test match earlier and went well, although I'm still not sure about it and if I should make any changes - like swapping out Vader for a Phantom or something, although it's hard to say.

I know that 3x Bounty Hunter is actually a decent list. I've begun experimenting with 2x Bounty Hunter and a Punisher (I love the Punisher), but you end up with very little ordnance with the named pilots.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been running Punishers for a couple of weeks now. You can't let the Punisher be the obvious target. They're tough--I've never lost one in a single round--but they're not tough enough to withstand more than one round of concentrated fire.

You want something else big and beefy enough that the enemy isn't sure who to target. Whichever they go after, punish them for it. I'm using a basic Bounty Hunter Firespray right now for this purpose, but I've considered using two Punishers instead.

With Redline, you want to hold back. Start facing or at an angle. Do 1-forwards every round, or just kind of drunkenly weave about with 1-banks. Make the enemy come to you, preferably when they can't all shoot you at once. Best, get them to chase Soontir around. Either way, unleash hell once they get in range of your missiles. If you get off even half your ordnance, it's usually worth it. If you get it all off, you're probably well on your way to a win.

This is the complete opposite of Deathrain, who you want to get right in the middle of things. If you start a round anywhere near an enemy, Deathrain can bomb them.

I don't know much about the Shuttle, but talk at my FLGS is that they kinda suck. If that's true, consider dropping it for a couple of academy pilots to use as blockers and harriers.

I think the omicron is a pretty solid ship. For 24 points you get the cheapest hitpoints in the game which synergizes really well with Vader.

If you manage to get an enemy ace such as soontir into arc, they are going to have a bad day since you can force through a crit even if you miss. The only problem is the shuttle has the worst dial in the game by far. I could try to fit engine upgrade in to help it stay in the fight after the initial pass but it requires dropping stealth device from soontir and means more points are tied up in the shuttle.

Push The Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Fire Control System (2)

Engine Upgrade (4)
· Darth Vader (3)

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Went to my first event today. Smaller local tournament, had a blast. I originally wasn't going to play since I had left my new found collection (2 Imperial halves of the new starter, Imperial Aces, and the TIE Punisher) out at my buddy's place in the boonies, and just wanted to check out the first round for a bit. Well, I had multiple people offer to let me play with their extra stuff and I was encouraged to sign up. Was really awesome of them - we have a great crowd out here. Anyways, I went with a build modified off of what I had planned on playing originally, just so I got in more practice. We can't get the TIE Expansion in up here, so I took the chance to swap out one of the TIEs I was going to use for Howlrunner.

Black Squadron Pilot
Obsidian Squadron Pilot
Obsidian Squadron Pilot
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics + Stealth Device
Soontir Fel + Royal Guard TIE + Push the Limit + Shield Upgrade + Stealth Device
(100)

Did way better than I thought I would, going 1-3 and holding my own in most of my losses. First round was against a pair of YV-666s, with Bossk and a Mangler Cannon really doing a number on me. I took down one of the ships and got the other to a single hull point before I went down, however - I think I could have won if I had a better feel for turning and didn't do things like "oh, yeah, I can bank around this asteroid. Oh, no, I am actually dead. Woops." Second round was against three Binyare Pirates with Cluster Missiles and two Syndicate Thugs with Autoblaster Turrets. Really close game, with the Autoblasters doing serious work when they managed to get to bear. Went to time, and he won by four points. I can live with that! Third round was against two Syndicate Thugs with Twin-Lasers, a Black Sun Ace, and Torkil Mux with the same Twin-Lasers. This was my win, and I got it pretty handily - there was some strong dice on my part, but he just couldn't get shots and I picked things off fast. Last match was against something sort of similar to mine, with Soontir and Carnor with Stealth Device and Autothrusters and then two random TIEs. I had to bail early on this, but it wasn't looking good for me.

All in all, great time and extremely happy with how chill the community was.

Here's the deal - almost certainly going to get a TIE Expansion from online now. Howlrunner was super good (though Swarm Tactics was a wash) when she lived, but she was a high priority and got focused down almost every time. I get I should keep her close enough to boost people, but far enough to not be in arc. It's difficult, though. Any advice on that, or should I just consider something else for her if I am going to consistently get her popped?

Second, Autothrusters seem really good and are being continually recommended to me. Are they as good as they seem, if I want to keep running Soontir?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

I used to do 2x Bounty Hunter and 2x Black Sqd with Predator, but that was a long time ago and I don't know how it'd fare these days. Low-PS probably hurts more now than it used to.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

overdesigned posted:

I used to do 2x Bounty Hunter and 2x Black Sqd with Predator, but that was a long time ago and I don't know how it'd fare these days. Low-PS probably hurts more now than it used to.

Low PS ain't too bad to me. I run a list with PS1 and 2 in tournaments.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I do indeed have a Punisher available to me, as well as two Black Squadron members. I'll give those a shot after, and see how it goes!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

Low PS ain't too bad to me. I run a list with PS1 and 2 in tournaments.

I've run a list with PS below 8 a couple times for the first time since I switched to my XXX list. I hate it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

I've run a list with PS below 8 a couple times for the first time since I switched to my XXX list. I hate it.

Low PS is fun. 5 binayre pirates and the bosskinator say hi.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I tried and I just don't have fun playing things that are lower than PS 8. Maybe Keyan might get a pass.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I've had fun running 3 Warden Squadron w/ Advanced Slam, Extra Munitions and 5 Proximity MInes and a Connor Net between them. I haven't fought a Phantom yet, but it's really been making higher skill ships cry. Also haven't run into the 4 TLT squad yet, possibly because I'm the only local who bought more than one K-wing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Played four games against an opponent who was running Chewbacca and Leebo side-by-side. Three of the games I wound up playing a very typical Soontir + Carnor + Shuttle build and went 2-1 in those games. The two games I won Soontir made it through both games without so much as a scratch on him, while the game I lost came about due to blanking out against Leebo's HLC and Soontir evaporating in one shot. This pretty much lines up with my experiences running Soontir lists. I really dig Palpatine on a shuttle though, moreso than Darth Vader I think. Giving Interceptors or Advanced/x1's the ability to evade that one hit that was going to sneak through or add an extra crit where it counts is really nice.

The fourth game I ran Poe (PtL, BB-8, Autothrusters), Kyle Katarn (Blaster Turret, Moldy Crow, Recon Spec), and Jake Farrel (Autothrusters, VI, Proton Rockets). This one was the closest game of the bunch. Everybody focused on Chewie and managed to bring him down in short order though Poe lost his shields in the process. Unfortunately I wasn't able to keep Poe within Leebo's dead zone and he wound up killed, followed shortly by Kyle. I kept Jake in the game for a good long while after but an A-Wing against a ship with six hitpoints is a lot of rolling 2 red dice and hoping for luck more than anything else and he just couldn't go the distance. I think I definitely want another T-70 if I run this list again, either a Red Squad Vet or maybe even Blue Ace for that 1-hard Boost. Also I think I'd rather give up the Recon Spec on Kyle and give him a Twin Laser Turret instead of a Blaster Turret, he didn't really contribute much damage-wise that fight aside from a single three-hit attack against Chewie.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The drat SW card trader app keeps making me want to start making stencils for some sweet propaganda and street art I can place on my ships but midterms keeps me busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Making an A-wing dicking-around list.

Jake + Autothrusters + ATP + VI + Swarm Tactics + Prockets
Prototype pilot + Refit x2
Miranda Doni + Jan Ors + TLT.

I'm wondering if Miranda's extra survivability when she gets focused down on is worth it, versus a Y-wing TLT boat and Autothrusters on the A-wings.

• Locked thread