Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Recruit New Wave Bot. After all, are we caimen? We are DEVO!

He'll feel swell. He'll work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dare to be stupid: recruit the bot!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Oh cool, my mum picked this game up in the mid-90s one rainy Sunday lunchtime from the local hospice charity shop. Didn't think anyone else had ever heard of it let alone owned it!

One thing I've learnt from your LP is that the set we bought (or perhaps the one that that scumbag Steve gave you, I don't know) wasn't in original condition. For one, it didn't have a Crocelia Crochart card, instead it had a different crew card for one Allie Gateher. As her name suggests she was a female croc too. I always thought she was a total token character, what with the game being from the 80s, being the only female in my set, having 'her' in the name needlessly - and worse than not even being a proper croc (a gator!) were her crap stats. But for all she seemed to be there for 'diversity' she had some badass art on her card.

Now, going by the text on Crocelia it looks like she was the original intended/included only female card (or perhaps from one of those pre-release expansions? It's so hard to pin anything down with these 2FF games). So now I don't know where Allie Gateher came from. I mean, obviously the kid who had the game before I got it from the charity shop, got Allie from an expansion pack and lost Crocelia (and the awesome figurines too dammit), but which expansion I don't know. Do you, by any chance?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 2, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

simplefish posted:

Oh cool, my mum picked this game up in the mid-90s one rainy Sunday lunchtime from the local hospice charity shop. Didn't think anyone else had ever heard of it let alone owned it!

One thing I've learnt from your LP is that the set we bought (or perhaps the one that that scumbag Steve gave you, I don't know) wasn't in original condition. For one, it didn't have a Crocelia Crochart card, instead it had a different crew card for one Allie Gateher. As her name suggests she was a female croc too. I always thought she was a total token character, what with the game being from the 80s, being the only female in my set, having 'her' in the name needlessly - and worse than not even being a proper croc (a gator!) were her crap stats. But for all she seemed to be there for 'diversity' she had some badass art on her card.

Now, going by the text on Crocelia it looks like she was the original intended/included only female card (or perhaps from one of those pre-release expansions? It's so hard to pin anything down with these 2FF games). So now I don't know where Allie Gateher came from. I mean, obviously the kid who had the game before I got it from the charity shop, got Allie from an expansion pack and lost Crocelia (and the awesome figurines too dammit), but which expansion I don't know. Do you, by any chance?

It's possible Allie Gateher was a valet? Crockmelia's card only states she was the only female considered for senior rank.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Asterios posted:

Recruit New Wave Robot

Pardon me, Mister New Wave Robot, but I've got a gut feeling that these disgusting discobots treated you as little more than space junk. Or worse, perhaps impressed you into service, like a slave working in a coal mine. Well, we Caimans believe in one thing above all else: freedom of choice.

I know a part of your programming must be giving you an uncontrollable urge to destroy us...but you're no spud. Use your freedom of choice...your freedom of choice! Join us, and together, we'll help you get the satisfaction you so richly deserve!

I see you jerking back and forth, torn between two impulses. But when a problem comes along, you must whip it!

Mister, kamikaze is of no interest to my men and I. We wish no combat. Only to help you get off this burning hulk, outwit the coming fleet of death, and escape to a beautiful world...

For you!

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Let subaga have it as a body. This will work out. Trust me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

Fellbat posted:

Hey, it worked in Mass Effect

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Applewhite posted:

It's possible Allie Gateher was a valet? Crockmelia's card only states she was the only female considered for senior rank.

I know, that's why I was thinking it might be some expansion retconning/simply not caring/remembering what the original said.

But it was many years ago, could have been a valet I guess, my memory's not that great

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

Try to recruit it, as per SuGaBa's advice.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

simplefish posted:

Yeah this game is as sexist as hell even for the times. Fighting Fantasy was kind of a big deal because it very rarely specified the gender of the main character and I think that even the simpler Choose Your Own Adventure books had a fairly even split on male and female characters. The first edition which we're playing now has only the one female character - Crockheart is literally the only one in the original game for any species. I think that after a mild backlash the second edition addressed this, added a bunch of female characters, changed the Catte captain to a female playable character and moved Crocmelia to an expansion about collecting old space exploration craft (I think the humans could pick up Laika from Sputnik II). Unfortunately a lot of the female characters were given pun names by the crusty old author, hence things like "Allie Gator".

Fellbat posted:

SuGaBA has been nothing but a bro to the crocs, where's all this suspicion coming from?

I'm scanning in the pages for recruiting the robot and will have them uploaded a bit later tonight.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Gilganixon posted:

SuGaBA has been nothing but a bro to the crocs, where's all this suspicion coming from?

I'm scanning in the pages for recruiting the robot and will have them uploaded a bit later tonight.

Inherit crockadilian distrust of something that is created to be trustful.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Update

The last page, complete:

We're going to try to convert that robot to our cause, but it's going to take a test of the Captain's skill to do it. I pass the roll, using 6 captain's energy to do so.
Turning to E:

He decides to join us and we ditch our crew because we don't have the time to haul this guy's baggage to the shuttle and free the crew, and also because who cares about those chumps. If we wanted the crew and the Discolink technology we would have had to fight this guy.

Meet the newest member of the crew, SPUDFINDER VII:

He's a solid addition to the team. Although it says he has a shields expertise, the crocs wouldn't stand for a non-Caiman occupying a position of power.

Anyway we're finally done with the expansion for now. Turning to 297:

Since nothing can go quite smoothly Sir Luxury Yacht fails his CRAPULENCE test. We're on CRAPULENCE 10, still safe.

It's now basically a choice between visiting the corpse, visiting the plane, or getting a move on.

Here's the slightly updated starship manifest:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 3, 2015

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Visit the corpse for sure.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

why not? lets go see the gentle giant

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Tardcore posted:

Visit the corpse for sure.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Visit the corpse. Become its new head.
Also, when everybody has to take a crapulence roll, does Luxury Yacht's attribute mean one other crewmember has to take two crapulence checks or is that covered by the initial crapulence check?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Visit that Space Oddity.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

lootvisit the corpse.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are we still good on time? It seems like checking out the corpse would take less time than readying an away team for the planet, but I'm not completely sure where we are in terms of time/distance from the planet-killing alien menace.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Gilganixon posted:

A mix of inherent Caiman mistrust and the cold hard fact that this thing could run the ship better than us and probably knows it. That, and it just destroyed another "racer" race. The Disco Alliance were our peers on the galactic stage. They even proved they were our dancing superior, when dancing's one of the few things we're honestly good at.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are we still good on time? It seems like checking out the corpse would take less time than readying an away team for the planet, but I'm not completely sure where we are in terms of time/distance from the planet-killing alien menace.

As I understand it, every major action like that takes a day. But I think we're good. We made good time in that last system since we chased them instead of looking around.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Who gives a poo poo? A giant space corpse is way more interesting than yet ANOTHER dust ball.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm going to throw a vote to investigate the planet. Something down there managed to decapitate the BFG. And his head might be down there.

We likely won't be able to achieve ftl with the body but maybe we can puppet the head.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Shouldn't our robot buddy sufer from a MALFUNCTION command issue?

Also we somehow mised out on the promised crew rescuing, exciting swashbuckling action? This is unfortunate.

Furthermore, aren't Disco alliance bots hardwired except for their commander? Because if we can't send this guy on away missions, then i am in favor of thumbing back a bit and picking something else.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 3, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Applewhite posted:

Also, when everybody has to take a crapulence roll, does Luxury Yacht's attribute mean one other crewmember has to take two crapulence checks or is that covered by the initial crapulence check?

Missed that (that's what i get for updating so late at night). It means one other random crew member has to take the check, even if they've already taken one (but not failed it - you can only increase a character's CRAPULENCE once per system unless the book says otherwise). Crockheart takes the test and passes.

On the topic of Crapulence, who do we give the Drinks Umbrella to? I suggest Blind Pew because he's the most threatening at the moment.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

A mix of inherent Caiman mistrust and the cold hard fact that this thing could run the ship better than us and probably knows it. That, and it just destroyed another "racer" race. The Disco Alliance were our peers on the galactic stage. They even proved they were our dancing superior, when dancing's one of the few things we're honestly good at.

As I understand it, every major action like that takes a day. But I think we're good. We made good time in that last system since we chased them instead of looking around.

This is correct, although flying the ship in closer to that corpse won't take any time. Probably there are some revolting things you can do there that will though.

We are well ahead of the things that are chasing us, but getting to the Void at the last possible second will mean the other species will be there ahead of you. The system ahead for instance is a big chokepoint. In the second half of the game you need a bit of spare time for refueling and repairs and travel between the systems can take longer.

DmitriX posted:

Shouldn't our robot buddy sufer from a MALFUNCTION command issue?

Also we somehow mised out on the promised crew rescuing, exciting swashbuckling action? This is unfortunate.

Furthermore, aren't Disco alliance bots hardwired except for their commander? Because if we can't send this guy on away missions, then i am in favor of thumbing back a bit and picking something else.

Caimans are only affected by CRAPULENCE, malfunctioning robots aren't a threat to the Caiman social structure in the same way blind reptile greed is. Since this guy can only be picked up by non-robotic races he just doesn't have a command issue.

Disco Alliance bots are mostly hardwired, but the security enforcers are their version of redshirts and are free to roll/stomp/fly around. This one is free to go on away missions.

Personally I think shooting a death machine in the face and convincing it to join your crew using Devo references is reasonably swashbuckling. You can't have it all man, it's either going to be a one-tonne death machine the doesn't rely on SuGaBA to do a good job, or it's whatever the Disco bots left of your four crew members.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I have also carefully re-read the expansion and the preceding pages- it seems losing crew to disco alliance is unavoidable somehow? The game mentions the crewmembers without ever checking if we actually lost any to the alliance. That's intriguing.

Actually let me retract that - it's either that or this booklet is so much thicker than you advertised.
I meant there are at least 12 race-invasion combos, and since caimans can apparently board the ship in at least 2 different ways, that makes it 13. how thick IS that thing?

Regallion fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 3, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

DmitriX posted:

I have also carefully re-read the expansion and the preceding pages- it seems losing crew to disco alliance is unavoidable somehow? The game mentions the crewmembers without ever checking if we actually lost any to the alliance. That's intriguing.

Actually let me retract that - it's either that or this booklet is so much thicker than you advertised.
I meant there are at least 12 race-invasion combos, and since caimans can apparently board the ship in at least 2 different ways, that makes it 13. how thick IS that thing?

48 pages. Not all combos are possible and some of them are very short.

If your crew won the dance-off (unlikely but possible) you won't encounter the robots in Arich. I'll scan the whole thing when we've finished with this LP and you can take a look then.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

How is your rat poison laced papercut treating you?

This game is a lot harder than the last one. Too much micromanaging.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Amorphous Blob posted:

How is your rat poison laced papercut treating you?

This game is a lot harder than the last one. Too much micromanaging.

Let's just say I'm not worrying about it while I run through this LP. At least it's not dripping on the pages this time. I guess they stopped using that weird Nicaraguan printer and the ant glue after the first wave of lawsuits because the odd papercuts I'm getting this time aren't festering.

Yeah this game is more about managing a ship, crew and time than anything else. Unlike Sword of the Bastard Elf there aren't heaps of instant deaths - what will kill you is moving too slow or letting your crew get wiped out or running out of fuel. The battles are also a lot shorter and more dangerous. It was an attempt to win back a market that was drifting towards the greater complexity and replayability of games like Wizardry, but of course it failed.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 3, 2015

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Finally got to the last post.
Get to the giant, if nothing else we'll feast on something new!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I'm going to throw a vote to investigate the planet. Something down there managed to decapitate the BFG. And his head might be down there.

We likely won't be able to achieve ftl with the body but maybe we can puppet the head.

An interesting point, but we have no way of knowing if the corpse was killed from the planet it orbits specifically.

If I understood correctly it will take us no time to get to the corpse and presumably not much longer to gently caress around with it. I'd say we go to the corpse, and then check the planet out if we have some time to spare.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Update

(a mercifully short one this time, given the wall of text we've had lately)

We're going in closer for a look at the corpse: (23)

Our options are to eat the whole drat thing or let SuGaBA mess around with it, or possibly something else.

No changes to our adventure sheet, but some status reminders:

We're on about 1/3 Energy. Ship condition is OK, crew is mostly pretty cheerful. Crapulence is not yet a serious problem (it's worth worrying about at 13 or so). We've lost nearly half of the available bridge officers so far.
The captain is a bit clapped out and moderately wounded.
The aliens will be in this system in 5 days.

Furia posted:

An interesting point, but we have no way of knowing if the corpse was killed from the planet it orbits specifically.

If I understood correctly it will take us no time to get to the corpse and presumably not much longer to gently caress around with it. I'd say we go to the corpse, and then check the planet out if we have some time to spare.

It was the Ganymed. If we'd got here before the robots we'd have to deal with Universo.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Let's go with SuGsBA's plan.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
yeah SuGaBa always knows whats up

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

eat the meat moon and then blow up the planet just because

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Let SuGaBA analyse the corpse - at least then we'll know what wine to pair it with

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Eat the delicious Space God

Putting our baser urges aside to humor a machine, or even putting our baser urges aside for the long term good of our civilization just doesn't feel right.

We have a prime cut of meat just floating in space and we have a great victory to celebrate. Sure, we had two parties so far, but they were both rallying/morale parties. This would be our first celebration. In Caiman culture, the two parties have different names and are considered completely different things.

And if there's no bonus for hitting every possible party along the way as the Caimen, there sure as heck should be.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Eat the giant, we must have it's power, plus it might make the crew less whiny.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

simplefish posted:

Let SuGaBA analyse the corpse - at least then we'll know what wine to pair it with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Make sure the captain eats the heart to gain it's power.

• Locked thread