Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dannywilson posted:

Seriously what the hell is that comically large helmet? First gen quad-NVG's?

A attempt by the Air Force to make a Oculus Rift for training simulators in 1982. That's about all I know about it.

Godholio posted:

And what simulator is that?

The "Visually-Coupled Airborne Systems Simulator."

Forgot I had another image saved:

Note that the helmet is now tied to the ceiling with a rope, presumably to prevent neck injuries from prolonged use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

aww, i was gonna guess some kind of Vietnam-era stereoscopic helmet mounted display using a goddamn television CRT for each eye.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But can it be used to spy on girls?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Sam Hall posted:

aww, i was gonna guess some kind of Vietnam-era stereoscopic helmet mounted display using a goddamn television CRT for each eye.

Initial design work seems to date from around 1977, so right on the edge of that time period. And it does seem to have used two 18-19mm CRT displays:
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a109431.pdf

quote:

A new wide-angle, dual eye, helmet-mounted display has been designed. Two images combine with a 15" central field overlap, to provide a panoramic display 102" wide by 45" tall, with a resolution of approximately 1000 TV lines per eye. The image-generating device is a miniature 18-mm CRT.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a136649.pdf

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What a loving nerd.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Its sunday, im hungover, have some ME262
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBAhNb1Y4w&t=48s

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The related videos on that led me to this - Aeronerds in the Netherlands dug up an ME262 last year.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's Sunday Evening and if you just wanna read about planes, damnit, Major Kong did a thing on British Airliners.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

A attempt by the Air Force to make a Oculus Rift for training simulators in 1982. That's about all I know about it.

The "Visually-Coupled Airborne Systems Simulator."

Forgot I had another image saved:

Note that the helmet is now tied to the ceiling with a rope, presumably to prevent neck injuries from prolonged use.

Spaceballs reboot lookin good.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Been days since I posted an F7U picture. Here is one I hadn't seen before.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Man it must be nice, flying and not having to worry about, you know, rules...or safety...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ClfzYsYtOA

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

MrChips posted:

Man it must be nice, flying and not having to worry about, you know, rules...or safety...

One motherfucker with a sense of self-preservation lol.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

EightBit posted:

I mean he wasn't that low, or going too fast :confused:

Not compared to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_RFhG732U

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Wicaeed posted:

I mean he wasn't that low, or going too fast :confused:

Not compared to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_RFhG732U

Unless that poo poo is a regular thing, I wouldn't expect a plane like that to be where it was unless something was wrong. You only have to be wrong once to be a burnt smear in the wreckage.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hey cool, a F-35 simulator! I wonder whaOH GOD THE EYES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4l72fg8gg

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Doc needs a bit more cash for her final push to flight. I usually don't like Kickstarters, but this seems like an acceptable use. Hopefully they'll get her flying after twenty-something years :ohdear:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MrChips posted:

Whats Ukranian for blyat?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

buttcoinbrony posted:

Whats Ukranian for blyat?

Surprisingly enough, it's blyat (блять)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

EightBit posted:

Appropriate.

The Swedish Accident Investigation Board posted:

The fighter Squadron at F 16 carried out normal flight duties with four JA37 aircraft and one SK60 aircraft. The flight duties with the JA37 comprised mainly of GFSU training with four students who began their training during the spring of 2002.
(...)
After the weather and flight briefing that was given before the flight, the guides gathered the visitors into two vehicles and drove to the end of the runway in use (runway 26) in order to watch the aircraft take off. The visitors chose to stand on a hill, which was approximately 2 meters high and 10 meters in diameter. The hill was situated 97 meters south of runway 26.

(...)

The pilot of P 11 (the leader) carried out a take off with a lit AB (zone 3). After rotation and retraction of the landing gear, the pilot turned to the left, after passing the intersection of the runways, and flew over the grass infield at a very low altitude towards the hill on which the visitors stood. The pilot passed over the hill under a weak climb with such an aircraft attitude that three persons in the group were seriously injured due primarily to the AB flame and pressure wave. Several persons threw themselves out of the way or attempted to take cover. A woman was thrown 15 meters from her original position.

(...)

The radar-measured altitude that was registered in RUF at time 1513 as 2.2 meters and the aircraft attitude was 6°. This indicates that the lowest point on the aircraft was in the interval 0–1.9 meters above the ground.

The full accident report, is worth reading, it's full of all kinds of :psyduck:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

TheFluff posted:

The Swedish Accident Investigation Board posted
The full accident report, is worth reading, it's full of all kinds of :psyduck:

:stare: Wow persons F, G and H got worked over pretty good.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Madurai posted:

Oh hey cool, a F-35 simulator! I wonder whaOH GOD THE EYES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4l72fg8gg

I'm all for turning pilots into cyborgs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Buttcoin purse posted:

I'm all for turning pilots into cyborgs.

Their vision is augmented.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Party Plane Jones posted:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

and stay out of the women's bathroom; that embarrasses you and the USAF.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've already discussed the matter with the Airman.

I'll take it he was agreeable?

He didn't really have a choice...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I've already discussed the matter with the Airman.

I'll take it he was agreeable?

He didn't really have a choice...

When I mentioned I could get him on the pilot fast track he was almost pathetic.

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's a Tailhook joke in there somewhere but that's the Navy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

When I mentioned I could get him on the pilot fast track he was almost pathetic.

"These QA failures may get out of hand, we may not be able to contain it"

"Why contain it? Let it spill out onto the flight-line, soon, they'll be begging for us to have a MX Call"

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
A bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future.

(Wait poo poo I didn't even have to change that one :suicide:)

We have other problems.

Operations?

Formed by Congressional order after the independence of the Air Force. I have some 1CO's in place though. I'm more concerned about the MXG. He's relocated to the Wing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I went to the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society recently, which isn't really a museum but they have a tour anyway. It was excellent, really hands-on and you get to see everything up close and go into several aircraft.
They are the ones that have the world's first museum 747-400 (albeit only with 1 engine) that did the really short landing at Albion Park and cannot realistically take off again. Luckily on the day we went it was even powered by generator.

Their main attraction (certainly before the 747) is a flyable Super Constellation that came from Pima and was made flyable then restored.

I would definitely recommend a visit if you find yourself in the Illawarra region of NSW.
Full album: http://imgur.com/a/y0Gnc

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I went to the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society recently, which isn't really a museum but they have a tour anyway. It was excellent, really hands-on and you get to see everything up close and go into several aircraft.
They are the ones that have the world's first museum 747-400 (albeit only with 1 engine) that did the really short landing at Albion Park and cannot realistically take off again. Luckily on the day we went it was even powered by generator.

Their main attraction (certainly before the 747) is a flyable Super Constellation that came from Pima and was made flyable then restored.

I would definitely recommend a visit if you find yourself in the Illawarra region of NSW.
Full album: http://imgur.com/a/y0Gnc

In before Connie hate! Did you get any interior pictures of that thing?

Is that a Mirage V in the full album?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saga posted:

Is that a Mirage V in the full album?

That one?

It's a Mirage III. More precisely, a Mirage IIIO, which means it once flew in the RAAF. There's not much differences between the Mirage III and the Mirage 5, which is funny because the Mirage IV is a completely different beast.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Saga posted:

Sorry, no, except for the cockpit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

That one?

It's a Mirage III. More precisely, a Mirage IIIO, which means it once flew in the RAAF. There's not much differences between the Mirage III and the Mirage 5, which is funny because the Mirage IV is a completely different beast.

Mirage IV : Mirage V :: New Coke : Coke Classic

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Midjack posted:

Mirage IV : Mirage V :: New Coke : Coke Classic

Bwahaha

More like Coke Classic : Bacardi. Made by the same company, but one's for regular day, other is for Nuclear night.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

~Coxy posted:

Sorry, no, except for the cockpit.

Here are my pics from 5 years ago, I'm pretty sure they're all of Connie but please correct me if I messed up: http://imgur.com/a/SSCQ5 The cockpit looks the same :downs:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

That one?

is it just the perspective or is the mirage really tiny

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

is it just the perspective or is the mirage really tiny

Yeah, they're little even compared to the F-104.

See, look!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Madurai posted:

Yeah, they're little even compared to the F-104.

See, look!

It's like they forgot to invite the Brits to the conference on how to make a non-ugly airplane

e: what even IS that thing? Gloster Javelin?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 2, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psion posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Psion posted:

It's like they forgot to invite the Brits to the conference on how to make a non-ugly airplane

One thing it's not is a lawndart