Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

this kid's got gumption. i like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The commands also don't seem to work? Unlocking all the research in creative mode and using the commands for temp and perm warp leaves me taking various warp effects still

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Blind Duke posted:

The commands also don't seem to work? Unlocking all the research in creative mode and using the commands for temp and perm warp leaves me taking various warp effects still

There are three kinds of warp, not two. So you have to run all three sets of commands.

/tc warp Serifina set 0
/tc warp Serifina set 0 temp
/tc warp Serifina set 0 perm

That clears it all.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I thought not specifying would default to temporary warp

what the hell is the default, sticky for some ungodly reason?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

I thought not specifying would default to temporary warp

what the hell is the default, sticky for some ungodly reason?

When you get warp it tells you that you got 'warp' and 'permanent warp' - temporary isn't very common, so warp is by default sticky, I suppose.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Huh, looks like crystals in the 1.8 version of Thaumcraft are going to be a bit different than in previous versions.

Models are still a work in progress.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 2, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I like the idea of crystals growing on surfaces a lot more than them just being another ore, and it means that you'll only really find them in caves, abandoned mines, and chasms, which is interesting and makes shard hunting different than "go strip mine the world"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wasn't a picture posted of the taint being changed a bit in the new version, too? it'll be interesting if trees aren't mulched by the taint. i'd like to see it in blightfall, honestly, because having entire forests start degrading the second you load the chunk is pretty dumb.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hope you can grow crystals, that would be super cool.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

wasn't a picture posted of the taint being changed a bit in the new version, too? it'll be interesting if trees aren't mulched by the taint. i'd like to see it in blightfall, honestly, because having entire forests start degrading the second you load the chunk is pretty dumb.

He has some interesting comments on this as there is no longer like a "tainted dirt" or "tainted stone" block as of right now, everything tainted eventually turns into a new generic tainted block that effectively turns to dust if you try to remove the taint if it gets that bad.

Azanor posted:

The TC5 incarnation of taint harkens back to the TC2 version. It is virulent and if properly fed it spreads very aggressively. What I mean by fed is as follows: If the flux level in the aura reaches sufficient amounts certain events occur - one of them is basically a tainted rain cloud like in the picture above which seeds flux goo puddles in an area. This however does use up some of the flux in the aura. The puddles have a good chance of leaving taint fibres behind once they evaporate.
Taint fibres spread, but they consume more flux from the aura to do so. This means as long as no new flux is added the fibres will eventually stop spreading and if the flux levels get low enough the fibres will start dying. However if allowed to spread too much it can easily become self-sustaining by creating things that spawns its own flux that in turn allows the fibres to spread further. Once more flux is created than the fibres can consume by spreading a snowball effect occurs.

In the above picture I had heavily seeded an area to test taint, but after finishing moved about 5 chunks away to test other things. It had reached my new testing area within around one hour. Granted - they original spot had crazy amounts of flux pumped into it for my testing so it had a big helping hand, but still.

Technically taint should perform slightly better than TC4 taint since I removed a bunch of checks on when taint is allowed to grow or not.

Blocks do not remember what they were so once the taint gets removed it turns into what is effectively dust. The ethereal bloom just forces this change.
This means that even when you de-taint a region you are left with a barren wasteland of dusty dunes.
I'm still playing around with this, but having the actual taint blocks remember what they were would be a server killer - especially now that almost every block can become tainted.

Things like the Etheral Bloom will still exist and will revert a tainted biome back to whatever it was on default worldgen, but it will not revert fully tainted blocks.

Honestly the taint in TC5 sounds pretty manageable with a decently serious consequence if you gently caress up to much and don't keep an eye on how far you let things get bad.

Also in the first image, the water is all hosed up, that image was taken from a build where taint could convert water into flux goo, but Azanor backed off on the idea as it got out of hand way to fast and was a killer performance wise.

Gotta say, I like the way the tainted trees are looking, it is a lot more interesting visually.

Azanor is also apparently trying to get a Beta ready for this soon.

Mzbundifund posted:

I hope you can grow crystals, that would be super cool.

Looks like you're in luck.

Azanor posted:

-Each crystal in a block is not on a 1-to-1 basis, but the more crystals there are, the more shards you will get.
-Yes, they grow and spread if the aura is high enough (using vis), and if the aura dips they will shrink again (putting vis back in the aura, though they will never die completely)
-There will be a way to plant them as well as a way to harvest them without breaking the block.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 2, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that new taint looks and sounds pretty neat, but it leaving areas a dusty wasteland could be worrying for something like blightfall. unless blightfall implements a lot of stuff to help you re-terraform areas.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

that new taint looks and sounds pretty neat, but it leaving areas a dusty wasteland could be worrying for something like blightfall. unless blightfall implements a lot of stuff to help you re-terraform areas.

Yeah I don't see TC5 working with a straight Blightfall setting at all since the blocks no longer keep track of what they used to be once fully tainted.

It might be possible with a map that was made to have a high "natural" taint level across all chunks so that the weird taint rain and fibres are growing everywhere. You'd have to design the gameplay around duel objectives: 1) Acquiring some specific longterm goal across the map that as you progress dumps more taint into the world which starts the process of the taint becoming more and more self sufficient and 2) Keeping the taint under control while you do Objective 1 as too many chunks fully tainted (as it sounds like Azanor is letting most block be taintable this time around) could make your main objective impossible. Throw an optional third objective after the primary is done which is to completely clean up the world, or try to.

Heck, if you had someone to make a companion mod, you could probably do something interesting with the fact that it leaves a wastland. A setup where the world is fully tainted, but oh you've dealt with this in the past, and try to go about reclaiming the world only to find out that the taint here is much much worse and thus have to figure out how to restore the world after cleansing the taint.

It is doable, it would just require a lot of work and re-thinking, which might be honestly good for Blightfall to keep it from getting stale like the Material Energy maps did.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Enzer posted:

Yeah I don't see TC5 working with a straight Blightfall setting at all since the blocks no longer keep track of what they used to be once fully tainted.

It might be possible with a map that was made to have a high "natural" taint level across all chunks so that the weird taint rain and fibres are growing everywhere. You'd have to design the gameplay around duel objectives: 1) Acquiring some specific longterm goal across the map that as you progress dumps more taint into the world which starts the process of the taint becoming more and more self sufficient and 2) Keeping the taint under control while you do Objective 1 as too many chunks fully tainted (as it sounds like Azanor is letting most block be taintable this time around) could make your main objective impossible. Throw an optional third objective after the primary is done which is to completely clean up the world, or try to.

Heck, if you had someone to make a companion mod, you could probably do something interesting with the fact that it leaves a wastland. A setup where the world is fully tainted, but oh you've dealt with this in the past, and try to go about reclaiming the world only to find out that the taint here is much much worse and thus have to figure out how to restore the world after cleansing the taint.

It is doable, it would just require a lot of work and re-thinking, which might be honestly good for Blightfall to keep it from getting stale like the Material Energy maps did.

Well if the dust was compatible with ex nihilo then you could use it like it is used in crash landing....

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Enzer posted:

Make it a technological setting and have it so that between the surface being deadly, the underground is full of ruins and technology you can hook up.

Basically, Star Wars: The Old Republic's Taris mixed with Fallout, sprinkled with death flowers. :shobon:

Plus you could have neat points of interest, accidentally hooking up a reactor that starts leaking, but fixing it up gives you a working reactor? Exploring the dusty ruins of bookshops, looking for leather to scrape by? Using railway systems to travel quickly through the less-dangerous underground?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I do like the idea that taint will be more manageable, and that if it does pass a certain threshold and become self-sustaining, you can strategically go in and eliminate these specific structures. Kill the heart and the rest will wither. It's very much like how I wish clearing areas from mob spawns would work.
Also liking that crystals will be available in variable amounts per block.

But I seriously do not like the idea of him bringing back "Aura". TC4 benefited in so many ways from moving away from that system. I don't miss it. It was really hard to keep track of, it was nebulous, it was almost impossible to control, and it let things dry up. At least waiting for a node to recharge is a steady process, Aura was so obfuscated you might eventually just dry up an area and then that's it, you're finished forever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Make it a technological setting and have it so that between the surface being deadly, the underground is full of ruins and technology you can hook up.

Basically, Star Wars: The Old Republic's Taris mixed with Fallout, sprinkled with death flowers. :shobon:

Plus you could have neat points of interest, accidentally hooking up a reactor that starts leaking, but fixing it up gives you a working reactor? Exploring the dusty ruins of bookshops, looking for leather to scrape by? Using railway systems to travel quickly through the less-dangerous underground?

I would like a pseudo-Caverns of Qud Minecraft pack.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

But I seriously do not like the idea of him bringing back "Aura". TC4 benefited in so many ways from moving away from that system. I don't miss it. It was really hard to keep track of, it was nebulous, it was almost impossible to control, and it let things dry up. At least waiting for a node to recharge is a steady process, Aura was so obfuscated you might eventually just dry up an area and then that's it, you're finished forever.

I really hope he has a CV style system planned. Rip open a node and breathe aura into a area at a greater rate.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Thyrork posted:

this is actually a really cool-sounding idea

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Crash Landing had a super cool idea with the randomly generated ruins you could raid

held back by a terrible tedious survival system that was somehow scaled back, making me question the madman that made the vanilla configs for that mod

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Am I doing something wrong or is Skyfactory 2 specifically designed to be a mindnumbingly tedious grind?

To make the most basic of things I have to place hundreds of cobblestone blocks, break them all with a hammer, sift the gravel then combine all the broken ore, place the resulting block, break the block, combine the result of that, place it, break it, then combine the result of that, place it, then break it, then smelt it all only to find I'm one ingot short and then repeat the entire process again.

I have to be missing something here, surely?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The only thing you're missing is the mental illness.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Blind Duke posted:

Crash Landing had a super cool idea with the randomly generated ruins you could raid

held back by a terrible tedious survival system that was somehow scaled back, making me question the madman that made the vanilla configs for that mod

Enviromine default settings were the most stupid thing ever. Standing next to a torch in rain? Overheating.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is Skyfactory 2 specifically designed to be a mindnumbingly tedious grind?

To make the most basic of things I have to place hundreds of cobblestone blocks, break them all with a hammer, sift the gravel then combine all the broken ore, place the resulting block, break the block, combine the result of that, place it, break it, then combine the result of that, place it, then break it, then smelt it all only to find I'm one ingot short and then repeat the entire process again.

Your goal is to work towards automating that process as quickly as possible. It's not too hard to get a basic generator, pulverizer, and automatic sieve within half an hour

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

skyblocks are super grindy and suck a lot

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

Answer 1: A life.
Answer 2: friends.
Answer 3: you are playing the wrong map.
Answer 4: idkfa.

Taffer posted:

skyblocks are super grindy and suck a lot
This is probably the best answer.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Magres posted:

Your goal is to work towards automating that process as quickly as possible. It's not too hard to get a basic generator, pulverizer, and automatic sieve within half an hour

Then I must be doing something wrong. It took me over six hours of constantly harvesting 21 trees with a crook to get three ingots to make a bucket with. It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the staggeringly low droprates for things in sievs. Also, I was getting gently caress all saplings to compost.

Half an hour seems absolutely impossible in the modpack I'm referring to (Skyfactory 2)

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If it's anything like other skyblock maps, you need use dirt to make a cobblegen, instead of sifting it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mr Scumbag posted:

Then I must be doing something wrong. It took me over six hours of constantly harvesting 21 trees with a crook to get three ingots to make a bucket with. It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the staggeringly low droprates for things in sievs. Also, I was getting gently caress all saplings to compost.

Half an hour seems absolutely impossible in the modpack I'm referring to (Skyfactory 2)

I installed this pack to take a look, and I agree with you... all you start with is one tree and a dirt block, no bone meal or watering can so you're at the mercy of the RNG for tree growth. This does not look like much fun...

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Ambaire posted:

I installed this pack to take a look, and I agree with you... all you start with is one tree and a dirt block, no bone meal or watering can so you're at the mercy of the RNG for tree growth. This does not look like much fun...

So, you're not entirely wrong, but there are a few mods that make things much easier. First, there's a mod that applies a bonemeal effect randomly to saplings around you when you either crouch or sprint, so mash Shift to grow trees. Second, VeinMiner lets you mine huge chunks of things in a single go. I think it's configured to work when you mine something with a tool and hold ~. This works with pretty much anything, and its definition of 'tool' is very broad so you can clear out leaves with a sapling in hand, for example. Placing all of the gravel/whatever blocks to hammer is still annoying but you can harvest them all in a single swing. Third, the clay bucket from I think Tinker's Construct makes getting an early cobble gen much simpler. You can use crafting tables for the structure. They look dumb, but they don't burn. Use your first 2 iron on shears and shear leaves for all the dirt you'll ever need. From there it's pretty quick and simple to automate the cobble -> dust chain + sifting with pulverizers/auto-hammers and the auto-sifter.

It's still super grindy, but it's a skyblock so I repeat myself.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Fenrisulfr posted:

There's a mod that applies a bonemeal effect randomly to saplings around you when you either crouch so mash Shift to grow trees.

I've been reading the good-bad mods thread and my initial thought was this mod made it when holding shift you are actually pooping on the tree to fertilize it.
What the heck have you done to me.
GOOOONS!!! :arghfist::byodood:

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

I've been reading the good-bad mods thread and my initial thought was this mod made it when holding shift you are actually pooping on the tree to fertilize it.
What the heck have you done to me.
GOOOONS!!! :arghfist::byodood:

My initial encounter with the mod described it as 'twerk for trees'. I don't know if that's better or worse.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Okay that's pretty awful. Sorry, I figured it was the same or a similar start to Agrarian Skies 2, which starts you with like two stacks of bonemeal, and I figured you were at the stage where you have a cobblegen

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Regarding Skyblock maps, if you've done one before, you really should accelerate the early game.

The entire focus of a skyblock is to work with minimal resources towards maximum automation, stepping over the dirt, wood, water and cobble limited steps isn't exactly getting you near the end! :haw:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mr Scumbag posted:

you were definitely doing it the hard way

you should have been making wooden barrels (ex nihilo variety) to collect rainwater, then putting dust in a full one to get clay, then making a clay bucket

then with that you could make an infinite water source, then manufacture enough clay to make a crucible for melting cobble into the lava you need for a cobblegen

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Glory of Arioch posted:

you were definitely doing it the hard way

you should have been making wooden barrels (ex nihilo variety) to collect rainwater, then putting dust in a full one to get clay, then making a clay bucket

then with that you could make an infinite water source, then manufacture enough clay to make a crucible for melting cobble into the lava you need for a cobblegen

Unless you get unlucky with rain! Sure, ex nihilo gives a way to make water by cooking down leaves in a crucible, but you need two water source blocks to make the clay for a crucible (plus the iron to make shears), so that's worthless. I had to turn on cheats and /toggledownfall my last skyblock game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nolanar posted:

Unless you get unlucky with rain! Sure, ex nihilo gives a way to make water by cooking down leaves in a crucible, but you need two water source blocks to make the clay for a crucible (plus the iron to make shears), so that's worthless. I had to turn on cheats and /toggledownfall my last skyblock game.

agskies2 was at least kind enough to give you a hooberjobber to force it to rain really early on

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

New Botania Changelog posted:

Changed the "no mana killzone" of the Dandelifeon from a 5x5 to a 7x7. To be honest, I really don't know where I'm going with this one. It's seeming to me like it's a failed experiment, as the optimal build always ends up being a really simple thing, which I'm not a big fan of. I'm just trying various things and seeing what sticks. I might end up removing it alltogether.

TBH, Vazkii, you seem to have no idea how the game of life works if you're honestly surprised about this. Or Minecraft for that matter.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

StealthArcher posted:

TBH, Vazkii, you seem to have no idea how the game of life works if you're honestly surprised about this. Or Minecraft for that matter.

the funny thing is that it doesn't matter how big the killzone is because you can set up optimal patterns around the edges of a dandelifeon's operating area, tick a central one a few seconds to age the cells, then use ancillary dandelifeons to actually generate mana:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

the funny thing is that it doesn't matter how big the killzone is because you can set up optimal patterns around the edges of a dandelifeon's operating area, tick a central one a few seconds to age the cells, then use ancillary dandelifeons to actually generate mana:

That sounds like a bug. Shouldn't each Dandelifeon have its own killzone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
If I can bother you guys for some Thaumcraft help: I'm progressing through the research nicely, but it's the crafting that I have trouble with - I never seem to have the right vis for what I want to craft.

Right now I'm just flying around using a jetpack, trying to find nodes and draining them with my crappy iron wand, looking for the right stuff to upgrade it to a crappy copper wand. I've seen a ton of guides on how to progress through the reasearch, but none on how to get the vis you want.

Also, is there a way to drain the wand of vis or maybe place the appropriate vis in the arcane workbench? I have two wands but none have the combination of the vis I want to use.

This mod is fun but can be frustrating.