Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

loving Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Why the Libs and NDP haven't been POUNDING on the Tories for their hypocrisy when it comes to the military confounds me.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Liberals are still remembered for the Dark Decade, they're not much better, and absolutely none of the parties are saying anything about improving health care and education either.

Vote for the new government, same as the old.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Judging by social media and the news, Lawson is going to become our very own Benedict Arnold.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Barrakketh posted:

Judging by social media and the news, Lawson is going to become our very own Benedict Arnold.

He's going to hand RMC over to the British?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Frosted Flake posted:

Hopefully the Brits can burn it down just like the white house

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Frosted Flake posted:

It's the only way to preserve it's rape culture of leadership.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
If RMC/ROTP dropped into the ocean and we went to something more like other countries have - enlist first, then get streamlined into leadership school that every officer has to go through - it might improve things a bit. After seeing how much time/money/energy gets wasted on attacting/recruiting a very small percentage of total yearly intake, it's no surprise that so many think their poo poo doesn't stink.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 2, 2022

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

You can take ROTP away now that I went through it getting paid to take 5 classes one day and sleeping the rest of the week. ROTP Civi U ruled, although I was scared shitless of my ULO.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

ub posted:

That's surprising, we don't have NGS capability now and I wouldn't have thought it would be a priority for any new class. Too offensive, not very Canadian.

Increased emphasis on littoral ops means its an easy way to increase our "joint" capabilities (a priority for the Navy) without a massive cost (as opposed to say, VLS Tomahawks strike capability). That said I haven't been following the CSC project too closely and I would not be at all surprised if it doesn't make it into the final requirements proposal. If it comes down to hull numbers vs capability within a given budget hull numbers win every time.

flakeloaf posted:

Five minutes is more than enough time to tell a DEO from a ringknocker, so many of them are that insufferable. I think it's because the DEOs had time to become fully functioning adults before joining, where the ringknockers were tempered in the flames of Mt. Bullshit.

I invoke the "recruit then grow up vs. grow up while a recruit" theory a lot because it just works.

It may surprise you to learn that RMC doesn't really create type-A assholes, it just attracts them. If it was shutdown tomorrow you'd all be bitching about DEO or ROTP Civy U officers because that's where that brand of overachiever personality would largely end up, and even then I would only put those at maybe 10-15% of all the cadets there, in my experience anyway. There are advantages and disadvantages to every officer entry plan. You guys put way too much emphasis on RMC as an rear end in a top hat factory... its just a university where everyone wears uniforms and the gender ratios are reversed from a civilian school. All your real training is done over the summers at the same training centers everyone else attends. I suppose if you only deal with 2Lt/Lts then maybe I don't blame you, since at that stage in your life you are the "most" RMC.

Certainly by the time you hit Captain or Major the differences are all but erased between the various entry programs as A) you have far more experience doing your job B) you've had years of working with, learning from and forging friendships with other officers that effect your leadership style and C) The us vs them, RMC vs DEO/CivyU BS is a junior officer thing (because at that point your 4 years in school is all the experience you have). Once you get a few years under your belt no one gives a poo poo where you went to school, and if you are an rear end in a top hat, its because you came to the forces as an rear end in a top hat, not because you wore a uniform at your college.

RMC is not always a great place to be, but it is a great place to be from. RMC has a pretty strong alumnus network that can provides advantages, as well as giving you a large network of friends and contacts within the CAF, not just stove-piped to your element / trade.

Anyway, if any of you have a different opinion of RMC than I based on your time there I'd like to hear it. I attended 99-03 for reference.

Simkin posted:

If RMC/ROTP dropped into the ocean and we went to something more like other countries have - enlist first, then get streamlined into leadership school that every officer has to go through - it might improve things a bit. After seeing how much time/money/energy gets wasted on attacting/recruiting a very small percentage of total yearly intake, it's no surprise that so many think their poo poo doesn't stink.

I can't find any recent figures but when I attended roughly 40-45% of the yearly officer intake went through RMC, and the college ramped up its intake in current years. Not the majority but hardly a very small percentage either.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I guess the perspective is different as a grunt but Ringknockers remind me of the prior-Cadet privates. Sure, after 3 or 4 years you're chill, but drat if that doesn't make you a pain in the rear end initially.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've seen someone try to pull the 'senior no-hook private' card on OJT because their BMQ serial started a week earlier. Also knew a Balkan vet who CFRd and was a dick to enlisted dudes, micky mouse poo poo like not holding doors open for them. Assholes gon' rear end in a top hat.

Navy major LCdr Jebus, if goons weren't cave dwelling autists I'd be inclined hit up a bar and solve the world's problems with you :v:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 2, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I guess the perspective is different as a grunt but Ringknockers remind me of the prior-Cadet privates. Sure, after 3 or 4 years you're chill, but drat if that doesn't make you a pain in the rear end initially.

quote:

I suppose if you only deal with 2Lt/Lts then maybe I don't blame you, since at that stage in your life you are the "most" RMC.

As NCMs we're going to interact most with the people at the beginning of their careers so that notion holds water.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I was on BMQ/SQ (BASIC STORY OH gently caress) with a prior Cadet CWO who, at first, thought he was king poo poo.

There were other former cadets, myself included (lol air cadets) and we very, very swiftly learned to let him think he was king poo poo, as the instructors swooped upon that poo poo like a vulture to fresh meat.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
For your first few years, often the less you admit to knowing the better. Establish low expectations and then look good when you beat them.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I was in sea cadets for 4 odd years and I'll never understand the kids who were so fired up about how much they thought being in cadets was going to make them the greatest armyman ever when they joined up. I mean, from what I understand, there are a few small bonuses and upsides associated with it, but nothing worth making an rear end of yourself over or really even mentioning once you're in

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I lived near one of the armories in Vancouver (by arbutus and 11th) and there was a cadet band there.

I'd walk by on occasion when they were getting out and every single kid was asian, which seemed odd even for Vancouver.

The cadet bands must be serious stuff for tiger moms or something.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Lol Jebus that was the most RMC response ever

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Lol Jebus that was the most RMC response ever

Well if the nobles don't take the time to tell us how some kinds are better than others how would we low born enlisted know?

Just kidding Jebus. Mostly.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

I thought maybe you'd appreciate some insight from someone who went. :)

After all if you just want to run your mouth and circlejerk about things you know nothing about we've got army.ca for that.

Primus
May 14, 2007

I...actually did?

I just couldn't resist the urge to poke some fun.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

It was directed more at Drakerider than you (and tongue in cheek at that - except the dig at army.ca, that place is pretty terrible)

Primus
May 14, 2007

The most Canadian of Internet fights.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

In keeping with OP Honour have a pleasant and professional evening, colleague.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
Aren't we required by the CFAOs to write #NotInMyCF anytime someone says OP Honour?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Can't be, current messaging is CAF.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I thought maybe you'd appreciate some insight from someone who went. :)

After all if you just want to run your mouth and circlejerk about things you know nothing about we've got army.ca for that.

Ah, we're all just having fun here. I mean, how can you not laugh at this:

LCdr. Jebus posted:

It may surprise you to learn that RMC doesn't really create type-A assholes

Anyway, if any of you have a different opinion of RMC than I based on your time there I'd like to hear it.

:ironicat:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I tried but I could only write un-Canadian things and I couldn't remember what :ironicat: was called. I'm sorry.

In the spirit of OP HONOUR, if all of you could please erase that collection of offensive Nijmegen marching songs and meme of the pink tank captioned "FAGGOTS" that'd be great. I'm getting tired of those things clogging up useful work.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Could someone forward me the memo regarding OP HONOUR

What the hell is it?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"No cussing, shitbirds." That has been my experience with it so far.

Maybe it's more involved elsewhere?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

Could someone forward me the memo regarding OP HONOUR

What the hell is it?

It's a CDS order that was broadcasted to everyone on the DWAN by him twice, and also to everyone n times by the 2n bosses between that position and the big boss. SUBJ REF ALSO PROMULGATED AS CANFORGEN BUT SAID DOCS ILLEGIBLE BECAUSE FORMATTING AND UNNECESSARILY MILITARY LANGUAGE IMPEDE ATTEMPTS TO READ SAME.

The short version is that anything even resembling rape culture is out and if you're seen doing anything other than fully supporting that mission you will be pilloried at the front gates. Originally they were going to use the gym but nobody knows where it is.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
I still don't understand how they could think that it was a good name for it, and I can barely say the name out loud myself without laughing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Just don't call the stand-down order "OP OFFER".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Wait the CDS had to put out a loving order saying not to rape?

Holy moly

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's the first google hit for that term, and it's pretty thorough. http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services/cds-operation-order-op-honour.page

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Oh my god it's an actual 5 part SMESC op order

On how to stop being sexist idiots

The Canadian Armed Forces

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
loving :lol:

I'm dying to know how many CO's actually gave that out to their units/OC's/Pl Comd's like actual orders.

acumen fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 2, 2015

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

MA-Horus posted:

Oh my god it's an actual 5 part SMESC op order

On how to stop being sexist idiots

The Canadian Armed Forces

They're literally gonna have to deploy a Battle Group of harassment advisors, attach them a bunch of diff div assets and conduct a full advance to contact sweep of the country if this will ever work. Way too many retards in the CAF

Christ, the military is the only organization that so loving fetishes its processes to the point that this is the way to go because its "military values". God i hate the Military so loving much, its 90% manchildren and weird fetishists all the way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone in here know anything about electrical generating system techs? A coworker of mine wants to do it and asked me about it and I have no fuckin clue so I figured one of you dorks might know.

flakeloaf posted:

Originally they were going to use the gym but nobody knows where it is.

lmfao