Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
I am going to watch this thread closely to see how long it takes for these devices to arrive, i'm looking to order one of each but I will be away starting Nov 9th, I dont want to order one and not be home for it.. I'll be back home for Dec 1st and am possibly going to try to align arrival of phones with my return, I may need to order them the week before I leave, or possibly during my time away depending on how long these start arriving in peoples homes..

I just pray that this doesnt turn into a 6-8 week wait time for average order, then stock gets depleted for 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Did they charge your card when you ordered it? I'm seriously thinking about pre-ordering the 6P because I need a new phone and don't want to get in the back of the line when the reviews come out, but I also don't want to fork over $600 to Google for them to sit on until my phone ships at an unknown date.

It still shows as pending on my credit card statement. I was told that its just a hold and will fall off in a few days and that I will be charged when it ships.

ja_raul posted:

I am going to watch this thread closely to see how long it takes for these devices to arrive, i'm looking to order one of each but I will be away starting Nov 9th, I dont want to order one and not be home for it.. I'll be back home for Dec 1st and am possibly going to try to align arrival of phones with my return, I may need to order them the week before I leave, or possibly during my time away depending on how long these start arriving in peoples homes..

I just pray that this doesnt turn into a 6-8 week wait time for average order, then stock gets depleted for 3 months.

I placed an order when it shows 5-6 week delivery and I am showing a one day shipping delivery date of November 5th - 6th. Right now, the same model of 6P I ordered is showing 4-5 week delivery.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

havenwaters posted:

Google has since come out and said that the 5x WILL have a usb c to usb cable like the 6p. They haven't updated the store or other pages though.

Just looking for a source on this. Plenty of blogs do not agree with this.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Just looking for a source on this. Plenty of blogs do not agree with this.

Huh. I can't find it anymore. Thought some summary said that the AMA said there was a usb c to regular usb cable with the 5x. I just looked through the AMA and that wasn't in there.

Well that sucks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

havenwaters posted:

Google has since come out and said that the 5x WILL have a usb c to usb cable like the 6p. They haven't updated the store or other pages though.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/01/nexus-5x-usb-type-c/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

1) Looks like the model I ordered is now showing 4-5 weeks shipping on the order page instead of 5-6 weeks when I first ordered it - Did the Nexus 6 ship out earlier when it was released last year?
This happened in the UK, every single device now shows a week less than it did when they first went up. I reordered mine yesterday because I realised that it would actually be a lot easier for it to come to work instead of home and they don't let you change the address on an existing order.

The 6P now shows "3-4 weeks" rather than the previous "4-5 weeks" but still came out with the exact same delivery estimate of 2nd Nov - 4th Nov (which is >4 weeks). I also ordered the official case on a separate order which now shows 2-3 weeks rather than the previous 3-4 weeks and that came out with an estimate of 29th Oct - 2nd Nov (which is >3 weeks). So I have no idea why the store page estimates were changed or whether the emails are wrong or what.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tunga posted:

This happened in the UK, every single device now shows a week less than it did when they first went up. I reordered mine yesterday because I realised that it would actually be a lot easier for it to come to work instead of home and they don't let you change the address on an existing order.

The 6P now shows "3-4 weeks" rather than the previous "4-5 weeks" but still came out with the exact same delivery estimate of 2nd Nov - 4th Nov (which is >4 weeks). I also ordered the official case on a separate order which now shows 2-3 weeks rather than the previous 3-4 weeks and that came out with an estimate of 29th Oct - 2nd Nov (which is >3 weeks). So I have no idea why the store page estimates were changed or whether the emails are wrong or what.

Be good if it's early. I went for the graphite 64GB, and it's still showing 4-5 weeks in the store, and delivery Nov 5th-9th in my account.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FogHelmut posted:

Sorry it's gonna suck now.

Mine did suck but a factory reset seems to have fixed all the issues.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I guess the best way to make sure my new phone has all the Wifi passwords the old one had is to restore it from a backup of the old one right? Is there a way to check if a phone is backed up correctly? Or just force a backup to make sure its all backed up?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but is there a reason I shouldn't jump on Project Fi? It sounds really cool.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but is there a reason I shouldn't jump on Project Fi? It sounds really cool.

you can get better prices and better service from other MVNOs?

lol at the thought of ever paying money to use Sprint's cell service

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Do you never really use data and don't travel to rural places (Wyoming, Montana, the sticks)? Then it may be for you.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Definitely comparison shop but I've had great luck with it so far.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing I have to note about the Moto X Pure is that the headphone output is quite a bit better than my Turbo's which I always thought was a step behind my Droid MAXX.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

List of Moto devices getting Android M

2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Play
2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
DROID Turbo
2014 Moto MAXX
2014 Moto Turbo
Nexus 6

They are also retiring Moto Migrate and the Chrome addon for Moto Connect.

source

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola has release guidance about Marshmallow. No real surprises there, 2014 and onward devices are being updated (so Lollipop is end of line for the 2013 X and Droid line.)

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/10/marshmallow-and-smore.html

They are not committing to a specific timeframe after being burned with Lollipop. They pushed 5.0.1 to the 2014 X Pure almost immediately after the Nexus devices (and even before some of them) and it was a trainwreck. Good news is, those with the Pure edition should get it immediately after it is finished since there will be no carrier in the way.

quote:

As for timing, we have high standards, so we’ll work fast but we won’t push the upgrades out until we know they’re ready. Look for more news on timing in the coming weeks.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Syrinxx posted:

List of Moto devices getting Android M

2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Play
2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
DROID Turbo
2014 Moto MAXX
2014 Moto Turbo
Nexus 6

They are also retiring Moto Migrate and the Chrome addon for Moto Connect.

source

What is the 2014 moto maxx? is that different than the droid maxx? I thought that came out in 2013. I've moved up to a droid turbo, but I'd still like to slap marshmallow on the maxx out of curiosity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

deong posted:

What is the 2014 moto maxx? is that different than the droid maxx? I thought that came out in 2013. I've moved up to a droid turbo, but I'd still like to slap marshmallow on the maxx out of curiosity.

Different device. The 2014 Moto MAXX is the international version of the Turbo.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

Different device. The 2014 Moto MAXX is the international version of the Turbo.

Ahh, that makes sense. I was surprised to see the maxx on there.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Syrinxx posted:

They are also retiring ... the Chrome addon for Moto Connect.

source

Good because it's dog poo poo. Pushbullet is better in every way.

edit: Also :lol: at none of the US carrier versions of the 2014 X getting Marshmallow.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nimper posted:

edit: Also :lol: at none of the US carrier versions of the 2014 X getting Marshmallow.

Yeah, this is worrisome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know if it's set in stone that none of the carrier ones will be getting it. This is just the list they can definitively say at this point in time. If the carriers allow them, I bet it will happen.

But seriously though, if you were on a GSM carrier and brought a branded X when the Pure was available, well sucks to be you. You should have thought that through a bit better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I don't know if it's set in stone that none of the carrier ones will be getting it. This is just the list they can definitively say at this point in time. If the carriers allow them, I bet it will happen.

But seriously though, if you were on a GSM carrier and brought a branded X when the Pure was available, well sucks to be you. You should have thought that through a bit better.

Uhh, a Verizon 2014 Moto X works great on T-Mobile and was like $200 new a few months ago, so no regrets on that one. Sucks if it really won't be getting M, though.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
So, I'm looking for an android phone, but seem to be having difficulty finding/deciding on what I'm after.

Essentially, the problem is it's down to a 'pick two' issue.

I'd like a good quality, good viewing angle screen - I'd like 1080p, but 720p will also work.

I'd like something that, if not current flagship SOC, is at least fast enough it'd reasonably make it through a couple of years (an 801 or 615/620 maybe?).

I don't care so much about internal storage if there's external storage - I use a lot of space on my current iPhone, but it's all music/podcasts/photos/videos - I know you can stick those on SD, so 16gb is probably fine.

Also after close or close-enough to stock, though I'm okay-ish with Touchwiz - it's not all that offensive on the Tab S2 I got, once I replaced the launcher and shoved the Samsung apps into it's own tab in the app drawer.

That's all easy enough, but here's the thing: I've looked at phones at various sizes, and anything over 5" is immediately uncomfortable to use after like 10 seconds, so I can't imagine it's a 'oh you'll get used to it!' thing. I've got some hosed up arthritis issues in my fingers and holding something that large just plain hurts. Which means 5" is absolutely the biggest phone I'd be after, which immediately eliminates an awful lot of things.

I know there's the z3c (which I had and was not particularly fond of) but what else is there that meets(ish) what I'm after?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The plot thickens. The forums manager at Motorola has definitiively stated that the carrier AT&T and Verizon model Moto X's will not get the update.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/02/verizon-and-att-moto-x-2nd-gen-apparently-wont-get-android-6-0-updates/

They have reached out to Motorola proper for clarification.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cstine posted:

So, I'm looking for an android phone, but seem to be having difficulty finding/deciding on what I'm after.

I'd like a good quality, good viewing angle screen - I'd like 1080p, but 720p will also work.

I'd like something that, if not current flagship SOC, is at least fast enough it'd reasonably make it through a couple of years (an 801 or 615/620 maybe?).

I don't care so much about internal storage if there's external storage - I use a lot of space on my current iPhone, but it's all music/podcasts/photos/videos - I know you can stick those on SD, so 16gb is probably fine.

Also after close or close-enough to stock, though I'm okay-ish with Touchwiz - it's not all that offensive on the Tab S2 I got, once I replaced the launcher and shoved the Samsung apps into it's own tab in the app drawer.

That's all easy enough, but here's the thing: I've looked at phones at various sizes, and anything over 5" is immediately uncomfortable to use after like 10 seconds, so I can't imagine it's a 'oh you'll get used to it!' thing. I've got some hosed up arthritis issues in my fingers and holding something that large just plain hurts. Which means 5" is absolutely the biggest phone I'd be after, which immediately eliminates an awful lot of things.

I know there's the z3c (which I had and was not particularly fond of) but what else is there that meets(ish) what I'm after?

Not a lot, but you need to be flexible about it being just a bit over 5" and you'll have a few options. Sony Z5C is actually small, then probably one of Galaxy S6, iPhone 6/6S, and Nexus 5X are your best bets. Go try them out in a store? http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S6,Google-Nexus-5X,Apple-iPhone-6s/phones/8997,9593,9501

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

RVProfootballer posted:

Not a lot, but you need to be flexible about it being just a bit over 5" and you'll have a few options. Sony Z5C is actually small, then probably one of Galaxy S6, iPhone 6/6S, and Nexus 5X are your best bets. Go try them out in a store? http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S6,Google-Nexus-5X,Apple-iPhone-6s/phones/8997,9593,9501

Yeah , I've got an iPhone 6 now - this is mostly due to the interaction between the Pebble and iOS being hot garbage - it doesn't alert for *some* calendar events, so I'm using Sunrise to do so, but I have to stay subscribed on the phone to get the meetings in timeline, and various other issues and while the Pebble is freaking fantastic and has made my life so much easier keeping track of all the things, iOS doesn't handle the back-end to make it work for poo poo.

Hence, android. The main problem there is that 'good' means 'huge' and huge means uncomfortable.

Half considering just paring the Pebble with the tablet and not the phone - I'd lose SOME functionality, but not all that much

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Chill Penguin posted:

http://www.cnet.com/news/every-android-device-vulnerable-to-newly-discovered-bugs/

Is this anything to worry about, or just more hype from Zimperium's PR machine?

Hate to quote myself, but I think this was lost in 5X/6P discussion. Anybody have any insight here?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

Hate to quote myself, but I think this was lost in 5X/6P discussion. Anybody have any insight here?

Best bet is to get a Nexus. Otherwise pray your OEM isn't asleep at the wheel.

On that note, no more updates for the Moto E. It launched in Feb 2015. Oops.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 2, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The plot thickens. The forums manager at Motorola has definitiively stated that the carrier AT&T and Verizon model Moto X's will not get the update.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/02/verizon-and-att-moto-x-2nd-gen-apparently-wont-get-android-6-0-updates/

They have reached out to Motorola proper for clarification.

drat. Motorola seems pretty salty at how they were treated with the Lollipop update fiascos. I wonder if the Turbo situation had anything to do with this?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Best bet is to get a Nexus. Otherwise pray your OEM isn't asleep at the wheel.

On that note, no more updates for the Moto E. It launched in Feb 2015. Oops.
What's funny is the Moto E 2015 has the same processor (SD 410) and memory (1 GB) as the current Moto G (16 GB) 2015. So, it's probably not about power.

Not a good trend from Motorola.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edit, whoops.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Edit, whoops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_E_(2nd_generation)

No. You're thinking of the 1st Gen.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 2, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cstine posted:

The rumor mill says Samsung canceled the Galaxy S6 Mini. I think the Xperia Z5 Compact is your one and only option that meets your list of requirements.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I accidentally had the Moto X wikipedia page up.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Chill Penguin posted:

Pray that the clusterfuck of Android manufacturer & carrier update delays doesn't take too long I guess. :suicide:

They said they aren't releasing the proof of concept and there's not any evidence it's being used anywhere. Google is rolling the fix to Nexuses on Oct. 6th

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Decided on the Note 5 after news about the lack of a fingerprint reader and Qi on the Pure/6P. I don't know how I lived without it, because Last Pass + fingerprint reader is simply magical. Coming from the Z3 and even with TouchWiz everything just seems better. Nice to finally have the headphone jack next to the charging jack on the bottom; my Z3 looked like Medusa when I had both plugged in.

I do miss having the app switching button on the right side, because I can't reach it comfortably with one-handed operation. :(

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
How does an S6 Edge priced between the 5x & 6p sound? I've read that a custom rom can make a big difference to the battery life/bloat so that'd be my plan if I went with one, but it seems like a lot more fuss than a Nexus or Moto X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Begall posted:

How does an S6 Edge priced between the 5x & 6p sound? I've read that a custom rom can make a big difference to the battery life/bloat so that'd be my plan if I went with one, but it seems like a lot more fuss than a Nexus or Moto X.

I feel like, when I was researching phones over the past week, I read you can't get into the bootloader of the S6-series anymore to do custom ROMs. Something about the only kernel access available was patched a couple versions ago.