Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What I'm getting from all this is that Western Washington needs.to break away so that the East will stop soaking up King County's tax dollars.and stop sabotaging their transit efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Accretionist posted:

What I'm getting from all this is that Western Washington needs.to break away so that the East will stop soaking up King County's tax dollars.and stop sabotaging their transit efforts

I really don't see how you get to that, unless you honestly think that cutting costs will convince people to pay for your train system.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Have Idaho absorb Eastern Washington, if anything. If Eastern Washington created their own state, you've basically just created a permanent red state that will give 2 Republican senators and at least 1 other Republican congressman.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

seiferguy posted:

Have Idaho absorb Eastern Washington, if anything. If Eastern Washington created their own state, you've basically just created a permanent red state that will give 2 Republican senators and at least 1 other Republican congressman.

I've heard lots of talk on how western washington needs the agricultural power of eastern washington... but is that still the case? With our tech sector, surely we're blowing them out of the water by now. Let's cut the dead weight loose.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Drunk Tomato posted:

I've heard lots of talk on how western washington needs the agricultural power of eastern washington... but is that still the case? With our tech sector, surely we're blowing them out of the water by now. Let's cut the dead weight loose.

You'd lose a lot of the washington wineries--that's where they grow grapes. Some of them are starting to get pretty good!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
This state is great because we have literally everything.

Besides, we can build solar in the east to power the west!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

nessin posted:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/15/the-demographics-and-politics-of-gun-owning-households/

You've basically just made the case for guns being acceptable if not potentially desirable.

If you're refering to me, for every situation/area foobardog notes where it is possible for a private citizen with a gun to potentially not be a disaster, that is where you find the highest rates of gun ownership.

To me, part of the problem with much of conservative thought is that they favor the exceptional over the common. To them, the chance that an exceptional person can invent something and go from rags to riches, or that a rich person can try experimental cures for cancer makes it worth the vast majority of people who are screwed by that system.

Guns definitely apply. I've lived in small towns with high gun ownership. Yes, the city dweller perspective that it's all the shootout at the OK corral is wrong, but it's still not the best situation. OK, so the small diner ran by a friend of the family, perhaps she knows all the guests that come in. But just as much, we're driving 10 miles to the slightly bigger town where there's two strip malls and going to Wal-Mart. In that case, it doesn't make sense. And even in my gun toting town, people waltzing around open carrying in town were odd and paranoid. About to go hunting, shooting at cans on your property, whatever. Going to the library? What the gently caress, man?

And the fact that it works in a rural region with few people doesn't support that it makes good sense to allow it in cities or in general. Generally more guns in a shooting situation make it worse, not better. If everyone who carries a gun was well-identified, known to the police, marked in such a way that was obvious, and trained then you could probably make an argument for citizens being armed as part of the militia. However, the NRA will not let anything like that happen, because any registration or forcing of training is anathema to them.

So yes, I've never been in favor for or argued for a blanket ban. But the "can't ever stop anyone from buying or owning or using a gun" mentality is terrible, wrong, and doesn't even match the regulation around other constitutional rights. It doesn't match the supposed reason for allowing gun ownership, having a well organized militia.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

seiferguy posted:

Take everything from Prineville to Ontario too please :toot:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The problem isn't eastern Washington it's that we import a bunch of Republicans from there who don't understand civil society every legislative session and don't understand why we can't get by living with as sparse services as they do. This would be ok except they think their tax dollars subsidize the cities so instead of being respectable Spartans who do well with less and thus admirable, they intentionally sabotage the more dense population areas which does nothing but engender spite and divisiveness.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
America runs on spite :smith:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

America runs on spite :smith:

There is a mental health problem in this country.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Northern Idaho maybe. Southern Idaho is like North Utah. Oregon could probably benefit from some of this line-redrawing too.

mod sassinator posted:

You'd lose a lot of the washington wineries--that's where they grow grapes. Some of them are starting to get pretty good!

Those wineries wouldn't just cease to exist. They'd still grow the grapes. Still turn them into wine. They'd just have to ship it to a newly-different state where we spend more of our money on our broken infrastructure and they don't spend less of theirs on whatever Randie poo poo they want to not spend it on. I don't see a way in which everybody doesn't win. I've lived on both sides of the state and wanted that split from both sides.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BlueBlazer posted:

There is a mental health problem in this country.

Counselors need to be free and available for everyone. Make going to one as easy and normal as getting a physical. Subsidize it if necessary, because do people honestly want to save a few bucks if it means more crazy people will run around with guns in their children's colleges?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

effectual posted:

Counselors need to be free and available for everyone. Make going to one as easy and normal as getting a physical. Subsidize it if necessary, because do people honestly want to save a few bucks if it means more crazy people will run around with guns in their children's colleges?

the answer to essentially that question has been yes for as long as we've had a medium of exchange which could hypothetically be hoarded

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xylorjax posted:

They'd just have to ship it to a newly-different state where we spend more of our money on our broken infrastructure

[citation needed]

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ernie Muppari posted:

the answer to essentially that question has been yes for as long as we've had a medium of exchange which could hypothetically be hoarded

:thejoke: I know. Every shooting is okay until its your kid that's shot. We just need to wait for everyone's kids to get shot in a school shooting, then maybe they'll stop electing pro-nra shitheads. Or maybe they will, and the mass shooters can move on to the retirement homes!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It would also be cool if all this draconian anti-terrorism stuff we've had such a boner for the past 15 years could react when some kid says "don't go to school tomorrow" on 4chan

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder if you could trick the rural areas into voting for 'No Mooching' legislation where counties must be fiscally self-sufficient? This would destroy the economies of rural Washington, thus destroying their cultures and influence.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I can't tell if that's a real idea or not but it is a dumb one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Accretionist posted:

I wonder if you could trick the rural areas into voting for 'No Mooching' legislation where counties must be fiscally self-sufficient? This would destroy the economies of rural Washington, thus destroying their cultures and influence.

You do know that even with balanced budget amendments states can still accept money from the Federal Government, right?

That law wouldn't do anything unless you also banned states from allocating money.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Well if you have a better plan for destroying rural Washington then let's hear it. :colbert:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Accretionist posted:

Well if you have a better plan for destroying rural Washington then let's hear it. :colbert:

Wildfires seem to work pretty well

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Drunk Tomato posted:

You're not thinking spitefully enough.

Build all the roads out of lumber.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

RuanGacho posted:

You're not thinking spitefully enough.

Build all the roads out of lumber.

Nah, think more spiteful. You need to make them be the seeds of their own destruction. Make the roads out of copper wiring and open more scrap metal buyers in areas with large numbers of meth arrests.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Drunk Tomato posted:

The gigantic dream house I built to escape from blacks is on fire :qq:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

SedanChair posted:

The gigantic dream house I built to escape from blacks is on fire :qq:

same

e: anybody else find it sad that overnight Oregon became the official frontier of marijuana and school shootings? :smith:

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 4, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

same

e: anybody else find it sad that overnight Oregon became the official frontier of marijuana and school shootings? :smith:

marijuana causes shootings

makes u think

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Boris Galerkin posted:

marijuana causes shootings

makes u think

there was that shooting in washington last year and also in colorado a few times makin me think a lot

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

same

i thought it'd been that since the 90s?

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Ernie Muppari posted:

i thought it'd been that since the 90s?

Yes. There was the Springfield school shooting back in 1998.

I can't argue for or against Oregon being a frontier of marijuana (what does a frontier for marijuana look like, anyways?). HempFest has been a thing in Eugene for over a decade now, though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PsycheNotFound posted:

I can't argue for or against Oregon being a frontier of marijuana (what does a frontier for marijuana look like, anyways?). HempFest has been a thing in Eugene for over a decade now, though.
Uh, the Oregon Country Fair has been a thing for a bit longer than that.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

anthonypants posted:

Uh, the Oregon Country Fair has been a thing for a bit longer than that.

Yes, that certainly does qualify as a frontier in every meaning of the word.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

PsycheNotFound posted:

Yes, that certainly does qualify as a frontier in every meaning of the word.

Why else would everybody drive an SUV to it?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Why else would everybody drive an SUV to it?

I only went in Volvo wagons or vw buses. No, wait, I did get a ride there in a rav-4 once a few years ago.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

PsycheNotFound posted:

We also had one last year in Troutdale, and there was another in Roseburg in 2006. They only had one fatality each so they didn't register on the news' Tragedy Radar I guess.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Back to traffic chat.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2015/09/29/dear-mercer-island-public-space-is-for-public-use/

A choice tweet:

"You are making sustainability impossible. Buses will severely degrade our air quality on the island."

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Back to traffic chat.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2015/09/29/dear-mercer-island-public-space-is-for-public-use/

A choice tweet:

"You are making sustainability impossible. Buses will severely degrade our air quality on the island."

The proper solution for Mercer Island is to sink it beneath Lake Washington, as nearly everyone who lives there is terrible.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

alternately you could transform it into the island from the prisoner

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just sink i-90's access points to the island, see if they wanna pony up more taxes for roads then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Someone earlier said that they didn't think PNWers hated people. The truth is that they hate everyone, including themselves, but are too timid to do more than passive aggress.

• Locked thread