Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah instead you seem to favor people with no required training and a much less defined set of legal duties/responsibilities firing away at the drop of a hat.

So yes, stupid is the appropriate word.

In order to get a concealed handgun license you have to have training in my state so wrong again euro friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah instead you seem to favor people with no required training and a much less defined set of legal duties/responsibilities firing away at the drop of a hat.

So yes, stupid is the appropriate word.

Best post / username combination.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

His Purple Majesty posted:

In order to get a concealed handgun license you have to have training in my state so wrong again euro friend.

Or just go to a gunshow and get it done in between eating a deep fried Twinkie.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The problem there is that a reasonable amount of ammunition for a murder is significantly less than a reasonable amount of ammunition for basically anything else you could ever want to do with a gun.

So really unless you mean "ban bullets" there's no practical effect to regulating how much ammo anyone can have.

I'm not really concerned about murder. In a sense you could have hard limits on how much ammo you buy at once, and if you intend it for shooting the poo poo, you have to use it within a specified time. That said, going into a mass shooting with only 10 bullets is a lot harder to do than 50.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Lemming posted:

What good does knowing the name of the guy who did it do for anyone unless he wasn't some nobody? All it does is show someone else "if you kill a bunch of people, you'll be on TV for weeks!"

To my mind the purpose of journalism is to report the facts in order to benefit the public interest. Journalists have an ethical obligation not to divulge information that could be harmful - for example, most news orgs generally don't release the names of minors involved in certain crimes, or the names of rape victims, and if they report on sensitive government matters, they usually try to make sure that the things they publish will not create a danger to national security.

If there's no legitimate reason for the public to know the name of the shooter, and if there is evidence that publishing the shooter's name encourages copycats, then by the ethical standards of the profession they should probably withhold it.

Of course the reality is that the American media exists to sell ad space, and nothing gets eyeballs like getting the scoop on what the shooter liked to eat for breakfast, so here we are.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Or just go to a gunshow and get it done in between eating a deep fried Twinkie.

It's great seeing obvious gun runners and gang members patron those places.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Three things.

1. How does that training compare to the training police are required to undergo in your state?

2. How in the poo poo is your response to "my police aren't trained enough" naturally "private citizens should pick up the slack!"

3. Your state doesn't represent the norm if you have strenuous requirements for a CCL. This is a national problem, not a state one.

Also "but guys! A beheading happened in England once they obviously don't have anything to teach us on gun policy! Our hundreds of mass shootings in the last several years are because our citizens aren't armed enough!" is possibly the dumbest argument I've ever seen in this forum.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 2, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:ohdear:

Lemming posted:

What good does knowing the name of the guy who did it do for anyone unless he wasn't some nobody? All it does is show someone else "if you kill a bunch of people, you'll be on TV for weeks!"

It's news.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Riptor posted:

why are they beholden to agree with the "gunman is voldemort" crowd? It's the media's job to report on the facts of the story, including the identity of the killer

From what I've read at least, there is good reason to believe that reporting on suicide events increases their frequency. The media really should be more responsible on this.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Welp

quote:

Authorities have recovered a document they believe may have written by the man responsible for the Oregon community college rampage that bitterly refers to a lonely existence with few actual human connections beyond the author's online communications, a law enforcement official tells USA TODAY.

The official, who was not authorized to comment publicly, said that authorities were still reviewing the document that was described as "rambling." Investigators believe the gunman appeared to associate with a loosely-affiliated online community known as the "beta boys" that has tended to glorify mass shootings, similar to the Oregon attack, the official said.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I've read at least, there is good reason to believe that reporting on suicide events increases their frequency. The media really should be more responsible on this.

And if they won't be, we should pass reasonable restrictions on the 1A to save lives.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Three things.

1. How does that training compare to the training police are required to undergo in your state?

2. How in the poo poo is your response to "my police aren't trained enough" naturally "private citizens should pick up the slack!"

3. Your state doesn't represent the norm if you have strenuous requirements for a CCL. This is a national problem, not a state one.

If you speak to a gun advocate from California, that person will speak as though they live in totalitarian Cambodia.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Robin Williams caused this shooting :negative:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

QuoProQuid posted:

Update on the Kim Davis-Pope Francis meeting from a few pages ago: Vatican explicitly states that the Pope's meeting is not an endorsement.

The whole situation has been really odd from the beginning. The Vatican's initial refusal to confirm or deny the meeting is extremely unusual because the institution is always very straightforward about who it meets with. It suggests that the Vatican genuinely didn't know if Davis had met with the Pope and how she got in the Nunciature. These new details also reveal that Davis's lawyers have been exaggerating how significant the meeting was.

It's probably not a grand conspiracy, but someone severely abused their authority for political gain.

EDIT: Apparently, the Vatican is having difficulty finding who invited Davis to the meeting.

She was on a mission from Gad.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Job Truniht posted:

I'm not really concerned about murder. In a sense you could have hard limits on how much ammo you buy at once, and if you intend it for shooting the poo poo, you have to use it within a specified time. That said, going into a mass shooting with only 10 bullets is a lot harder to do than 50.
Fifty rounds is not nearly enough for practice or competition. A 50 cartridge limit would essentially be a ban on shooting sports. poo poo, .22 comes in 500rnd boxes.

Nonsense posted:

It's great seeing obvious gun runners and gang members patron those places.
How do those fuckers get guns when I can't even get service at a store because I'm under 50 years old and 400 pounds?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's not the phrase gently caress-boys, but close enough.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

We didn't get to see Vester Flanagan's manifesto. Why would we get to see this one?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

It's news.

The location and names of undercover cops in Chicago would also be news. Obviously you can tell that there are certain things that are not useful to say. What's the functional difference in terms of being informed about events between knowing the guy's name and not? It doesn't do anything useful and does do something potentially harmful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

Wouldn't it be easier at this point to regulate ammunition instead of guns? We already have laws about stockpiling fertilizer.

For like five bucks you can get enough bullets to reasonably take out a lot of people and hide them in your pocket. Fertilizer costs a little more (the kind that makes things go boom at least) and is a bit harder to hide.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lemming posted:

The location and names of undercover cops in Chicago would also be news. Obviously you can tell that there are certain things that are not useful to say. What's the functional difference in terms of being informed about events between knowing the guy's name and not? It doesn't do anything useful and does do something potentially harmful.
It encourages future mass shootings, which are amazing for ratings.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I'll repeat this question since you nanny state authortorians glossed over it,
Can no one answer this simple question?

"Debate me!" He screamed whilst tearing off his shirt.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yes, let us blame the media for mass shootings, but lets not blame how easy it is to get tools designed to kill multiple people in a short time span.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

He even mentions he knows he gets attention for it

I'm all for Voldemorting mass shooters, gently caress them and gently caress the reporters who can't help themselves

^^^^ again, we can do more than one thing at a time

Here, i made a list

1. make it harder for wackos to get guns
2. improve mental healthcare
3. don't let suicidal mass murderers get famous
4. stop gerrymandering

Feel free to copy this list and add to it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'll repeat this question since you nanny state authortorians glossed over it,
Can no one answer this simple question?

Can you give us an actual year range for this instead of a vague and subjective legal era?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

quote:

"I have noticed that so many people like (the Virginia shooter) are alone and unknown yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows you they are," he wrote, according to The Daily Beast. "Seems like the more people you kill, the more you're in the spotlight."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, let us blame the media for mass shootings, but lets not blame how easy it is to get tools designed to kill multiple people in a short time span.

I can only think one thing is bad at a time. I'm currently thinking about the news. Please respect that.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Riptor posted:

why are they beholden to agree with the "gunman is voldemort" crowd? It's the media's job to report on the facts of the story, including the identity of the killer

It's necessary for the media to report the facts of the story. It isn't necessary to ham-handedly glorify the killer with CoD style inventory cards and brooding quotes from his loving blog immediately after playing a clip from a cop about why that shouldn't be done.

But that's just CNN being CNN.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
"First of all, you have very strong laws on the books, but you're always going to have problems . . . We have millions and millions of people, we have millions and millions of sick people all over the world. It can happen all over the world and it does happen all over the world, by the way. But this is sort of unique to this country, the school shootings. And you're going to have difficulty no matter what. . . .It's not politically correct to say that, but you're going to have difficulty and that will be for the next million years, there's going to be difficulty and people are going to slip through the cracks. What are you going to do, institutionalize everybody?" - Donald Trump on the shooting

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Fifty rounds is not nearly enough for practice or competition. A 50 cartridge limit would essentially be a ban on shooting sports. poo poo, .22 comes in 500rnd boxes.

How do those fuckers get guns when I can't even get service at a store because I'm under 50 years old and 400 pounds?

Yeah, you can definitely go through rounds quick. I have no doubts about that, but nobody is going to start a mass shooting at a gun range.

Let me use some better wording: you can buy as much ammo as you want at a dealer and even take it with you, but you're in trouble if you leave it all sitting there within a month. I'd really like to. See what kind of people are keeping 1000+ rounds sitting around their house.

Depending on the time limit, what you're basically doing is forcing a mass shooter to:

a. Get lucky and have all the ammo he needs
b. Have to go to dealer just before he goes shooting

Both are really hard to do if done right, even if you legally own that weapon you use.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also not naming these people leads to witch hunts and won't actually stop people from finding out with the tools we have these days. Voldemorting them is called that because the entire point of that bit in the books was not saying his name did literally nothing to stop him because that was never a factor in his deal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

What good does knowing the name of the guy who did it do for anyone unless he wasn't some nobody?

It means that random people stop getting named as the shooter by places like Reddit, which means reduced harassment of innocent people. Christ.

Unless you actually enact ongoing government cover-ups of all mass shootings, the dude who sot up 50 people or whatever will still be famous without having his name at least. It'll still get news coverage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

Yeah, you can definitely go through rounds quick. I have no doubts about that, but nobody is going to start a mass shooting at a gun range.

Let me use some better wording: you can buy as much ammo as you want at a dealer and even take it with you, but you're in trouble if you leave it all sitting there within a month. I'd really like to. See what kind of people are keeping 1000+ rounds sitting around their house.

Depending on the time limit, what you're basically doing is forcing a mass shooter to:

a. Get lucky and have all the ammo he needs
b. Have to go to dealer just before he goes shooting

Both are really hard to do if done right, even if you legally own that weapon you use.

This is all way more arcane and stupid than just limiting what kinds of guns civilians get and increasing the scrutiny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

It means that random people stop getting named as the shooter by places like Reddit, which means reduced harassment of innocent people. Christ.

Unless you actually enact ongoing government cover-ups of all mass shootings, the dude who sot up 50 people or whatever will still be famous without having his name at least. It'll still get news coverage.

Just to be clear this literally happened already.

http://libertynews.com/2015/10/breaking-is-this-the-oregon-shooter-4chan-forum-says-his-name-is-toby-reynolds/

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/art..._Oregon_Shooter

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also not naming these people leads to witch hunts and won't actually stop people from finding out with the tools we have these days. Voldemorting them is called that because the entire point of that bit in the books was not saying his name did literally nothing to stop him because that was never a factor in his deal.

Except it totes was because he NSAed anyone who said his name.
:goonsay:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mmm yes the training to get a ccw is the same as police training, correct

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nintendo Kid posted:

government's faking all these shootings anyway, they may as well cover them up while they're at it

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

You mean an entire day at the local gun range? Surely this extensive, thorough, and applicable training has prepared you and like-minded citizens to calmly draw your weapon and deliver precise center-mass shots to the bad guys during extremely hectic and fast-paced scenarios.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's a continuum between having a literal media blackout on the guy's name and spamming it on every channel 24/7 for weeks. Obviously the guy's name is out there. Have a few articles naming the shooter, like the police give a report naming the guy and you have an article on that, and then refrain from yelling it at the top of your lungs on cable.

For the average person watching the news it doesn't make a difference.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

Except it totes was because he NSAed anyone who said his name.
:goonsay:

It helped him find people but the 'saying his name gives him power' bit wasn't how it worked, his weird fetus bath was all he needed. I guess if shooters start killing everyone who knows their name then we can call it voldemorting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
part of me wants to see scalise become the next speaker

• Locked thread