Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

LOL AMP unlocks weren't like this before? WOW. Hardcore Talent Trees indeed. I can't imagine having to hunt down mobs or NPCs, etc to unlock those.

The goon guild (back when there was one) had a bunch of them stashed in the shared bank, I p much just used those

I think crafting got you others somehow??? I don't really remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
They seem to be constantly pulling down the servers for unplanned maintenance to fix bugs that arent necessarily game breaking. How the gently caress have they not just setup a daily maintenance window at 5AM every day for the next week or so? As far as I can tell this is to fix a bug with the daily login bonus prompt popping up repeatedly, while this is annoying it isn't something that most organizations would bring servers down for.

As a former IT worker who has worked for companies with utterly incompetent management, this whole relaunch has been very triggering.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

West Ham Sandwich posted:

It was just the last ring of AMP abilities, and most of them were buyable from rep vendors that, provided you quested to level, you'd already have the rep for. Some of them (in particular a spellslinger one) were pretty rare drops and as such cost a billion plat.

Trigger fingers I think it was. I don't remember exactly what it does but at the time it was basically required for raiding I think. It was absurdly rare, to the point a lot of people were convinced it was bugged to not even drop at all.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Libluini posted:

Considering the servers seem to be down again, I don't think this will work out.

https://twitter.com/WildStarOps/status/649985199313416192

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's very obvious that they have a HUGE memory leak somewhere and they have no idea how to fix it. My best guess is that one or more of their DBs is running out of memory and that's when poo poo really hits the fan. The lag could very well be coming from their item/character DB just running out of memory and then paging like a mofo and not a CPU/Network performance issue. They're probably on rotational disks instead of SSDs too because SSDs aren't hardcore enough. :engleft:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That would explain a lot, and that is really, really freaking bad. It seems like any time you find yourself in a situation where you are constantly patching with limited testing and constantly restarting servers it is only a matter of time before the servers go down and dont come back up. Knowing Carbine, it is a small miracle they have made it this far.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Why do the devs have my little pony avatars on the forums?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Why do you think

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Bombogenesis posted:

Trigger fingers I think it was. I don't remember exactly what it does but at the time it was basically required for raiding I think. It was absurdly rare, to the point a lot of people were convinced it was bugged to not even drop at all.

That's the one. It was just a huge damage buff iirc.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

kaxman posted:

I thought the bonus damage was from interrupting a cast-time ability. The interrupt armor was just there to make it require multiple abilities and/or players to get to the "your interrupt spell actually interrupts the ability." For what you said to be true they would have had to remove cast-time abilities from all the mobs or changed the way moments of opportunity worked.

Oh duh, I misremembered that feature. You're completely right; it was interrupting an ability and stunning them from it that gave the damage boost.

Stanley Pain posted:

They're probably on rotational disks instead of SSDs too because SSDs aren't hardcore enough. :engleft:

I'd imagine they're using SAS drives since that seems to be the norm for server hardware nowadays; I'd figure they're hybrid, at least.

Still, who loving knows unless they post what it is themselves. :v: I can easily agree that they've probably got some kind of memory leak, and it's probably linked to all the changes in the character DB.

CoffeeBooze posted:

They seem to be constantly pulling down the servers for unplanned maintenance to fix bugs that arent necessarily game breaking. How the gently caress have they not just setup a daily maintenance window at 5AM every day for the next week or so? As far as I can tell this is to fix a bug with the daily login bonus prompt popping up repeatedly, while this is annoying it isn't something that most organizations would bring servers down for.

As a former IT worker who has worked for companies with utterly incompetent management, this whole relaunch has been very triggering.

I figure it's because they imagine the damage of having a bug persist all day is less than the damage of bringing the servers down immediately when a bug is properly identified. It makes it look like they're on top of their game in regards to fixing bugs, but with as many times as they do it, I think it just worsens their image because it points out they JUST CAN'T FIX IT or THERE'S SO drat MANY.

I also imagine they've got too many cooks in the kitchen working on too many dishes, and Ed's fix for issue X will break Carl's fix for issue Y because they can't deploy the patches to a test server or might not be able to communicate in a timely fashion.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever the issues are, one things is certain. Wildstar continues to serve laughs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yeah great, but it doesn't really help if the 20 minutes happen multiple times a day. I'm not that interested in trying the game

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Libluini posted:

Yeah great, but it doesn't really help if the 20 minutes happen multiple times a day. I'm not that interested in trying the game

Between the non-stop train of maintenance, the soul-crushing lag, getting dropped from the game every time I cross a zone, and intermittent input drops... I just can't be bothered at this point.

Edit- apparently wild posturing is happening on their twitch channel right now as they try to explain server woes, lag, and realm instability.

TL;DR Fat community director dude talks about eating pizza for 10 minutes.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 2, 2015

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Is Twitch really the place for the lead software guy to be right now?

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

Yeah you'd think he'd be cleaning all the grease out of the databases

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

"Lead" means running interference so the rest of your team can work.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahaha this twitch stream is so insightful to how they run things. They basically just caught themselves in a gotcha moment, re: # of characters per realm, what happens after merge (you get 4).

Carbine basically run fully on the poke and hope model. Whoopsie hehehheh we did a thing heheheheh.. Whoopsie.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah as much as you guys like to poke fun, you're kidding yourselves if you'd think the entire team isn't running around trying to desperately fix things.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Arthil posted:

Yeah as much as you guys like to poke fun, you're kidding yourselves if you'd think the entire team isn't running around trying to desperately fix things.

Nobody is saying they aren't, we're just saying that they appear completely disorganized, and have little to no insight/ideas on how or what to even fix.

This stream is the most thrown together thing I've ever seen. Seriously- Obese Community Fuckwad talked about eating pizza and the importance of sleep for ten loving minutes.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
If the servers don't burst into flames I may log in, unlock Trigger Fingers on my Spellslinger, cry a little, and log out.

And the way Carbine's caving to the casual scum happened was this... AMP's weren't implemented or tested at all until the final loving phase of beta. You could pull up that tab in game but it just said "coming soon!"

Originally the first ring of AMPs were free to unlock when you hit the level for them. Then you starting hitting stuff that you needed to find, but were absurdly common drops. Then there were AMPs that could be bought off rep vendors. And then the top stuff were incredibly rare world drops, only off raid bosses, or so on.

The first compromise was making it so only the top tiers needed to be found because guild banks were FILLED with low level amps everyone already had or didn't need. And then they just threw their hands up of the rest because the rare stuff wasn't dropping and the economy was FUBUR anyway if you wanted to buy one.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 2, 2015

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Idk we'll see what happens tonight with the servers. I'll probably keep trying to play this game because i have fun running around and killing things and following the lovely quest lines. Idk, it's not worse than playing dungeon fighter online or wow or anything. it'll calm down and be fun again. chill out.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Arthil posted:

I am starting to get the feeling that they have found themselves in a hole, and are digging as fast as possible to get themselves out of it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I do want to try Medic again cause when the game first launched the class was pretty hosed up and a chore to play...

This was after they fixed the beta exploit where you could hammer R repeatedly and have an infinite special power charge. They knew about it for months and for a while there was a log in message asking medic players to please stop exploiting it. :allears:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

To be fair, pizza is more interesting than Wildstar

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
There sure are a lot of angry soliloquys from people angry they lost face in front of their friends for hyping up the Wildstar relaunch

quote:

This. Is. loving. EMBARASSING. For everyone involved. Carbine have made me look like a oval office to my friends who I've raved about this game to, convincing them that this is the change Wildstar needed and having full confidence in Carbine to make the right moves and get their poo poo together and the useless assholes can't even do that.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll give it until tomorrow morning. If it ain't fixed by then I'll be getting myself a refund for my box and my subscription and Carbine can suck my left one and I'll deter everybody I know away from their product in the future for this is one of the biggest gaming blunders of 2015.
Un-loving-accepable. /rant over

quote:

Myself and four of my good friends decided to give Wildstar a fair try, as well all have lots of other MMO experience. After these past few days my friends have already uninstalled and looked the other way. I do not necessarily agree with their decision, however I cannot argue their reasons.

quote:

I got hyped for Wildstar a year before it launched. I got all my friends hyped on Wildstar. Yeah we were there for the name reservation disaster, and we were there for launch. We tried our best to stay positive through the lag and all the other crap that plagued the launch of the game, but eventually our hearts just weren't in it any more and we all sadly left the game.
Today, one year ago, tomato, tomahto. I want to be patient and give them time but god dammit A YEAR. Yeah part of me a sad, the other part is pissed. They dropped the ball twice in the exact same way. How am I supposed to have faith that this will ever be a functional game? And this is coming from someone who desperately wanted this game to be great. Think about all the half-interested new people that are being driven away right now.
Fool me twice Carbine... There won't be a third time, I promise you that.

Wildstar ends friendships. Don't Play Wildstar

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Hahahaha this twitch stream is so insightful to how they run things. They basically just caught themselves in a gotcha moment, re: # of characters per realm, what happens after merge (you get 4).

Carbine basically run fully on the poke and hope model. Whoopsie hehehheh we did a thing heheheheh.. Whoopsie.

So I should go make two characters per server?

I mean assuming I have already disregarded what I really should do which is not play.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry guys, after all this lag and server downtime/reboots you'll all get neat pets or something. Totally worth it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comrayn posted:

So I should go make two characters per server?

I mean assuming I have already disregarded what I really should do which is not play.

It's two characters period as far as I know. Then again I've never been able to log into the PvE server due to 2-4 hour queues.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cythereal posted:

It's two characters period as far as I know. Then again I've never been able to log into the PvE server due to 2-4 hour queues.

It's 2 per server. Which brings up the question: what happens if you're F2P and have 2 characters on servers set to be merged?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Mayor McCheese posted:

Don't worry guys, after all this lag and server downtime/reboots you'll all get neat pets or something. Totally worth it.

Somewhere a carbine employee who's had four hours sleep is slapping a pair of sunglasses on a sheep model and tweaking the texture color so it looks sickly green.

As they save the file as partyatbaaaarnies, they pop another pill and sit back to question their life choices.

This concludes my carbine fanfic, and I STILL don't get why they named the sheep rowsdower.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Xolve posted:

Between the non-stop train of maintenance, the soul-crushing lag, getting dropped from the game every time I cross a zone, and intermittent input drops... I just can't be bothered at this point.

Edit- apparently wild posturing is happening on their twitch channel right now as they try to explain server woes, lag, and realm instability.

TL;DR Fat community director dude talks about eating pizza for 10 minutes.

He was the community guy for EQ Landmark from what I remember. Lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

The game has some very good ideas that are actually well implemented. The way your character feels really responsive like in WoW, the combat system, ability system, art style and music are all pretty good. A lot of the components for a very solid game are there. The problem is it all bogs down when you start encountering the stubborn grognard style of end game design, a substantial number of bugs that never seem to get addressed, and a management team that seems to be utterly incapable of dealing with it all. Oh, and what little remains of the community is as bottom of the barrel as it gets.

Maybe some of this has changed with the f2p relaunch, but based on how it has gone so far I doubt it. When a development house has management issues it seems like it is almost impossible for anything to improve.

Pretty much. The game actually has a lot of good points but it also has a ton of annoyances that will probably keep enough of the potential playerbase from staying long enough to form a functional mmo community. Maybe the f2p standards are lower though idk.

Stanley Pain posted:

On the PVP server queues are popping within 2 minutes in the first 3 brackets so far. I've basically levelled via PVP alone. It's the only thing I "play" in this game. :shobon: If you're on the PVE server you deserve the scrublord carebears ;)

PSA: The PvP server will be completely dead once the queues for the PvE server are gone.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Game is now a perfectly acceptable wow clone. Better than many others. We are in a weird and new market environment (2011-2015) where a cripplingly bad launch has really very little predictive significance for an MMO's long-term prospects. FFXIV and SWTOR at launch were both utter pieces of dogshit--far worse than Wildstar--that have both turned themselves around and are now actually prospering. Far different from the stagnation or burning to the ground of earlier failures (AO, EQII, WAR, Vanguard, SWG). Probably has a lot to do with the popularization of new f2p models which significantly lowers barrier to entry. Also less reliance on the lightning in the bottle of a good launch that creates immediate emotional investment from friends sticking together for the long haul.

MMO commentariat meanwhile--here and elsewhere--still slavering at the mouth for the traditional meta drama of a failed launch; a more interesting subject than the subject itself: why posting about a crap game is better than the crap game could ever be; probably some trauma left over from 2014. Wildstar's trajectory will probably be less dramatic than all of this.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 3, 2015

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Wildstar represents the greasy cheeto-fingered gamer stereotype

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There's no lag on Entity-2, if that matters to anyone.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Verranicus posted:

There's no lag on Entity-2, if that matters to anyone.

They literally named it entity-2? Wow. Creative masterminds.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Al Borland posted:

They literally named it entity-2? Wow. Creative masterminds.

It's supposed to be a temporary server so it seems like naming it [pve server name]-2 would be simpler than dealing with morons who are confused and angry about where their beloved home server went post-merger.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

Goons who bring up... who... hang on, I'm gonna need to make a flow chart.

It's not a complicated flowchart. It's like two boxes. One says underage, and the second is the word "NO".

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Comrayn posted:

It's supposed to be a temporary server so it seems like naming it [pve server name]-2 would be simpler than dealing with morons who are confused and angry about where their beloved home server went post-merger.

I'm probably going to reroll on that cause i only got to level 10. Is that for the PvE server? I mean it's just a game and the launch might suck but it's kinda whatever, play a different game for a little bit and try it another time or something lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

West Ham Sandwich posted:

It was just the last ring of AMP abilities, and most of them were buyable from rep vendors that, provided you quested to level, you'd already have the rep for. Some of them (in particular a spellslinger one) were pretty rare drops and as such cost a billion plat.

Trigger fingers.

I may reinstall just to gently caress around with my house. I'm an architect if anyone needs furniture.

• Locked thread