Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

Wasn't blowing up the Chantry and thus making everything worse kinda the point of Anders' whole plan? He clearly saw no way to change the circle system via reasonable ways so he wanted to start a war. Blowing up the Chantry made it impossible for anything but a rebellion/war to occur and it ensured that things wouldn't return to the status quo no matter the outcome. While he is clearly crazy at least his reasoning makes kind of sense, only in a horrible way.

Actually now I remember you can tell Anders his stunt could turn people against Mages and he's like "when were they ever on our side?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Anders's plan was literally the "Bomb the Mosque" scene from Four Lions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CuwiKhons posted:

I find landmarks 100% pointless

How are you going to be recognized as legitimate without flags?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ApplesandOranges posted:

Quick question about some stuff from the beginning of Trespasser:

If you never captured the Keep in Crestwood, what does Teagan complain about?

He complains about you setting up outside Redcliffe instead.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Junkozeyne posted:

Wasn't blowing up the Chantry and thus making everything worse kinda the point of Anders' whole plan? He clearly saw no way to change the circle system via reasonable ways so he wanted to start a war. Blowing up the Chantry made it impossible for anything but a rebellion/war to occur and it ensured that things wouldn't return to the status quo no matter the outcome. While he is clearly crazy at least his reasoning makes kind of sense, only in a horrible way.

Then he is double selfish and stupid because he got a bunch of innocent people killed over several years for no good reason.

e: like that line "Was anyone ever with us?!!!?!!??!???!!!" I was with the mages, until he decided that years of Hawke's friendship and support meant nothing because Hawke may not have wanted to blow up a city and murder hundreds of people with fire and debris.

Anders is a mass murderer wrapped up in egotism. What's more he inflicted all that death on his fellow Kirkwall mages either because he hated them for submitting to the leash (like when he berates Bethany for finding a happy place in the Circle) or because he doesn't understand that they are people and only wants them to be martyrs for his cause.

Anders is the worst because he doesn't care about anything but how he perceives the world. He turns on mages who don't agree with him (again Bethany) and casually forces Meredith to murder the entire Kirkwall Circle because of ~martyrdom.~

HIJK fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 1, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I love how hypocritical Anders is from word go because he's super judgmental about blood magic when he's a damned abomination. Oh, Merrill trucks with demons? You loving are one!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Is recruiting Blackwall a known cause of making the game crash during combat, or something? No error message, just -boop- desktop. This is getting frustrating.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

How'd you spec him? Some of the new ability upgrades cause those crashes--I know Lunge and Slash's refund upgrade in particular.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I was JUST thinking "maybe one of those abilities is bugged" because I built him different from Cassandra. I bet that's it, I'm gonna try it now.

Edit: That worked! Thanks.

Sankara fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 1, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hamburger Test posted:

Look up Dorian's banter with Sera. I was unfortunately not paying full attention when it happened, but I'm pretty sure he hinted pretty heavily that the flasks she (a Tempest) uses are magic in nature.

If you mess up boom demon, if i mess up i get burnt.

Lotish posted:

How'd you spec him? Some of the new ability upgrades cause those crashes--I know Lunge and Slash's refund upgrade in particular.

Yea i managed to track my CTDs to Cass's upgrades. I still haven't figured out which one, so I just took basic abilities. No one else seems to have that issue though.

I just can't kill Hawke. If it wasn't a character I played, i might feel different, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe in my next playthrough I'll finally do it and make Varric sad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Why do the "Skin" armors give everyone tiny little right arms? It looks super goofy on all the male characters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CuwiKhons posted:

I feel like the Mage/Templar thing really suffers from the writing. And by that I mean that the Templars are blatantly in the wrong with their treatment of mages, but Bioware is trying to paint it as a morally gray conflict when it isn't, so they have to make a bunch of mages stupidly psychotic. No reasonable person would think "I'm being oppressed, I'm going to use the kind of magic that gives them the legal right to kill me to solve this problem!"

Uhh.

I take it you don't know very much about oppressed people.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kajeesus posted:

Uhh.

I take it you don't know very much about oppressed people.

Good point. The series has said that Templars have a nasty habit of labeling apostates blood mages without bothering to gain evidence. Since the Templars are about as likely to kill them as not, a cornered mage doesn't have too much incentive not to go for broke and use blood magic. Which only gives the Templars more reason to be paranoid of it and assume the worst. leading back to the whole vicious cycle.

That said, it does still come back to the Templars having more responsibility for the problem than the mages, though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yeah it's kind of understandable that if you're hosed either way you might do something out of desperation. It's just that the thing they're forbidden from doing often ends up with them as horrible abominations so it's still a bit of a stupid decision otherwise. The reasoning I completely get though.

I mean Meridith had people tranquilled for sending letters, FFS. When that's the sort of atmosphere you're dealing with you might as well say gently caress it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah but wouldn't the logical response to that be to kill Meredith? Not the folks opposing her?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah but wouldn't the logical response to that be to kill Meredith? Not the folks opposing her?
Not really, since the mages complained, the Seekers came out to investigate and ended up gong "well it's a bit harsh but there are so many blood mages we'll let it slide." When it's literally against Chantry/Circle law to Tranquil a mage who's passed their Harrowing. They did the correct thing and the establishment still hosed them.

Don't get me wrong, Anders's plan was loving stupid, but I see where a mage says "we get accused of being blood mages anyway and lobotomized for the slightest transgression, what have we got to lose?"

e: this is only in regards to mages turning to blood magic, not Anders being an idiotic fuckup

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BrianWilly posted:

I can only assume that it was partly because Anders was pissed that Elthina didn't seem to be doing much to rein Meredith in despite the fact that she had been wildly overstepping her authority. Not knowing or caring about any more subtle actions that may or may not have been taken.

Of course, by that point Anders was all but completely consumed by Vengeance, so logic or the well-being or approval of those who he claimed to support was not the kind of thing on his mind. He was just doing what full abominations do: cause mass destruction in the name of their chosen emotion.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Quick question about some stuff from the beginning of Trespasser:

If you never captured the Keep in Crestwood, what does Teagan complain about?

I still want to know if Maryden's companions song changes based on recruitment and quests. Does she just not sing it without a perfect party?

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Good point. The series has said that Templars have a nasty habit of labeling apostates blood mages without bothering to gain evidence. Since the Templars are about as likely to kill them as not, a cornered mage doesn't have too much incentive not to go for broke and use blood magic. Which only gives the Templars more reason to be paranoid of it and assume the worst. leading back to the whole vicious cycle.

That said, it does still come back to the Templars having more responsibility for the problem than the mages, though.

Honestly, in a reasonable world (And yes, I know, Thedas is supposed to be unreasonable) Merideth wouldn't have even been the Knight-Commander, she's clearly biased towards hating mages, yet talks with non terrible templars, like Alistar and Cullyn, it's made clear that Templars are supposed to be free of emotional entanglements with mages, both positive and negative, because their duty isn't to just protect the world from mages, it's to protect the mages from the world.

Ultimately, this is why I chose to support the mage rebellion, and ultimately why I feel that the best outcome is taking the mages in as allies, it gives the mages a means to show the world that they can be more than just a scary force, while, being in the middle of an army whose core was based around Cullyn's fellow templar defectors, that is more than capable of handling the mages if they abominate. Which they don't, because they're being treated with respect. I hated how the leader of the mages abominated in DA2. Like, Hawke was clearly trampling the templars, but they just kept coming, and then the dude panics and you got to kill him, and it's dumb. The games try and paint the mages as these oppressed people, but then they constantly take the stupidest option and it's really no wonder everyone else hates their guts.

Also, I hate Vivienne's guts

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SubponticatePoster posted:

Not really, since the mages complained, the Seekers came out to investigate and ended up gong "well it's a bit harsh but there are so many blood mages we'll let it slide." When it's literally against Chantry/Circle law to Tranquil a mage who's passed their Harrowing. They did the correct thing and the establishment still hosed them.

Don't get me wrong, Anders's plan was loving stupid, but I see where a mage says "we get accused of being blood mages anyway and lobotomized for the slightest transgression, what have we got to lose?"

e: this is only in regards to mages turning to blood magic, not Anders being an idiotic fuckup

To be fair there were definite implications that Kirkwall had an overabundance of blood mages because of SOME kind of external force influencing them. Possibly the fact Corypheus/red lyrium were at least somewhat nearby, possibly due to something the Tevinter mages did while in charge going by those Band of Three books you find hidden around. So the reason all the mages keep going to the blood magic well when they get desperate in DA2 might be more than just rampant stupidity (I don't recall any implications the rebel mages in Redcliffe were using blood magic in any kind of numbers, or at all really). And if something messes with mage minds, it might very well screw with the local Templars too considering they hang out in the same location as said mages about the same amount of time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow after years of not putting one in, there's a towers of hanoi puzzle in Descent. Nothing says "Doesn't everyone take computer science?" thinking of an out of touch designer like towers of hanoi.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 2, 2015

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

twistedmentat posted:

Wow after years of not putting one in, there's a towers of hanoi puzzle in Descent. Nothing says "Doesn't everyone take computer science?" thinking of an out of touch designer like towers of hanoi.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke at this point, especially based on the obvious digs they made to it in Citadel and DA:O.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always end up supporting the templars, because the alternative is always free mages with no supervision. Like, at least set up a system where every discovered mate has to take x years of training before being unleashed on the world. They were pathetic generic enemies in DA2, but abominations are supposed to be deadly and capable of killing entire villages where nobody had noticed that little Jonathan had been learning to shoot fire.

It'd be nice to have some likable mage advocates, though. Orsino was a slimy fucker who did not have the excuse of mental illness exacerbated by eldritch artifacts. Anders and Merril were prime examples of why mages should be supervised. Fiona is just extremely unlikable, Dorian is the most moral mage in Tevinter and he's still down with slavery and pretty flippant about having contributed to Alexius' research and Solas is... Solas. Morrigan is probably the least dangerous anti-Circle mage, and that's saying something.

Wynne is the only good mage in the series, and she's pro-Circle. Her and Bethany, who I think is happier in the Circle than as a a Warden or a corpse. I guess also the Warden/Hawke/Inquisitor, who get a Bioware protagonist license. Vivienne and Irving are characters people have diverse feelings about, but they rule with political influence, rather than their magic.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They aren't the only "good" mages they are just examples of mages who are happy to uphold the status quo and so they don't do anything offensive. An comfortable underclass is still an underclass, and while mass murder is not the right way to go about liberating that underclass these sorts of movements require members who can be "bad" and offend the socially prevailing opinion in order to readjust norms in their favour.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Beefstew posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a joke at this point, especially based on the obvious digs they made to it in Citadel and DA:O.

They're still terrible and annoying. I like puzzles that are based on context, like the clue being hidden in artwork or a book found nearby.

Finding all the gears is going to kill me. I'm 8 short in the Thaig and i've been everywhere.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Short mechanics question: Does upgraded Stonefist damage and detonate in its AoE, or only the primary target?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BrianWilly posted:

Doing that would probably incense the templars even more against the mages, and would likely harden even once sympathetic causes against them. 'See what the mages did? Meredith was right!' There's still an element of that in the actual game, but it's being headed by Meredith who's crazy. If she were dead there would be a bit of rose-lenses going on.

The goal of the explosion was to force action from the mages' side. That's why he went after Elthina - an inactive mediator was helping nobody in that scenario.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kajeesus posted:

Dorian is the most moral mage in Tevinter and he's still down with slavery and pretty flippant about having contributed to Alexius' research

The slavery thing's pretty bad yeah, I agree, and I really wish they'd followed up with that conversation later in the game when Dorian's had time to rethink that position. But as for Alexius' research, why shouldn't he be flippant about it? Prior to the Breach opening, the work was purely theoretical and it's obvious that Dorian never believed it would actually work. It's also mentioned in one of the World of Thedas books that Dorian and Alexius had been working on the time travel theory alongside other stuff before Felix was attacked by Darkspawn and it was only after that that Alexius became obsessed with time travel and acted as though it could really happen rather than what Dorian had understood to be nothing more than a mental exercise. At that point, he and Dorian fought, and Dorian left.

Dorian's flippant about basically everything, including (and especially) the things that have caused him personal pain such as Felix getting the Blight and Alexius going mad trying to fix it. But I'm not going to blame him for working on a project that he knew was 100% impossible at the time.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Wynne is the only good mage in the series, and she's pro-Circle. Her and Bethany, who I think is happier in the Circle than as a a Warden or a corpse.

Thing about Bethany in the Circle is that if you side with the Mages at the end of DA2 she's agrees with rebelling and seeing Mages free.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

twistedmentat posted:

They're still terrible and annoying. I like puzzles that are based on context, like the clue being hidden in artwork or a book found nearby.

Finding all the gears is going to kill me. I'm 8 short in the Thaig and i've been everywhere.

You don't actually need all of them, there are way way more than you need.

If you want to find them all (I found all but one) it involves a lot of suicidal hopping around on terrible platforms that are actually between areas on the descent.

Also I'm okay with Towers of Hanoi because by this point I don't even know what I'm doing to solve it it just sort of happens. THANKS BIOWARE

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Towers of Hanoi is the simplest puzzle in the world so I wasn't annoyed by its presence and took amusement in the joke after you solve it.

What I hate are the light up switch puzzles in Jaws of Hakkon, though not as much as a I hate the tile flipping puzzle from DA2's Mark of the Assassin.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Lotish posted:

Towers of Hanoi is the simplest puzzle in the world so I wasn't annoyed by its presence and took amusement in the joke after you solve it.

What I hate are the light up switch puzzles in Jaws of Hakkon, though not as much as a I hate the tile flipping puzzle from DA2's Mark of the Assassin.

The absolute worst puzzle I can remember in Dragon Age was the horrible sliding tile one when you pick up Shale. It may make me a terrible person, but I sacrifice the little girl every time.

Speaking of Shale, have we ever gotten an update about her? She was probably my all-time favorite companion.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Shale appears in the Asunder novel after apparently hanging out with Wynne for ten years, but I think that's all.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

effervescible posted:

Shale appears in the Asunder novel after apparently hanging out with Wynne for ten years, but I think that's all.

Wynne lives for another 10 years after DAO? Wasn't she like about to drop any day now?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Mymla posted:

Wynne lives for another 10 years after DAO? Wasn't she like about to drop any day now?

She's an abomination, so I'm pretty sure that she can technically live forever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

berenzen posted:

She's an abomination, so I'm pretty sure that she can technically live forever.

Possibly, though she passed the spirit that sustained her to her son's templar friend Evangeline when she was killed by the former Lord Seeker Lambert. So she's dead now. Which means when you rescue Rhys and Evangeline for Cole's war table quest, you're saving an abomination.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Mymla posted:

That's something she's concerned about in the book, in fact.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

Possibly, though she passed the spirit that sustained her to her son's templar friend Evangeline when she was killed by the former Lord Seeker Lambert. So she's dead now. Which means when you rescue Rhys and Evangeline for Cole's war table quest, you're saving an abomination.

And Cassandra is proof that not all abominations are bad.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

effervescible posted:

There's books, too? My god, this game that has eaten my life for the last 6 weeks just keeps getting more and more expansive.

I actually make myself talk to Bull every time I am in Skyhold just because I'm worried he'll think I've been distant lately. Maybe I've just been missing out, not having ever really played RPGs, but the sheer scope of this game is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I was under the impression that the spirit just visited and cured her tranquility, and repairing her link to the Fade is what gave her powers, not that it actually possessed her as an abomination does.

• Locked thread