Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Ripple can brainwash people to fight against their will, tell the future, turn hair into a bulletproof shield, allow people to use the Force, produce deadly soap bubbles, make beetle thighs a legitimate fashion statement, and turn people into Vikings.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the Ripple is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
All in saying is that a guy who uttered "the world where everything is based" multiple times has to be pretty good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Prison Warden posted:

Diego even can't use it for the insane lengths of time DIO could because he isn't a vampire, but was restricted like Jotaro.

Also President Valentine is the best and I wont hear anything against him or his Stand, which is the best Stand name in the entire comic goddamn.
President Valentine of the United States of Valentine and his Stand Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap are loving hopping in and out of alternate universes with other Valentines and shooting Johnnys and sending people to other universes with doors and talking about getting the napkin or whatever and goddamn I love Part 7.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 2, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part 7 is my favorite part, even beating out Part 3, but I think the Valentine fight drags.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As great as DIEGO's World is for pure fanservice, I don't think it's a very good ending for Steel Ball Run. SBR wouldn't have suffered at all for not being a thing but it's still a fun thing as a whole.

I love the entire D4C fight though. Except for how Hot Pants just gets merked and is dead forever over the space of one or two panels.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DIO used Hermit Purple once? Boy, I don't remember that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 7 is my favorite part, even beating out Part 3, but I think the Valentine fight drags.
I think it starts to drag by the end, but if it stopped there it would be fine. For how amazing Diego's World is, that's really where I felt "Kay I want this to end now."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

setafd posted:

DIO used Hermit Purple once? Boy, I don't remember that

He uses it a couple of times really early on but I think the last time he does is around the time Polnareff joins up (a flashback about how he was convinced to work for DIO), so it's a short lived thing as a whole.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 2, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli is a beautiful man, and the moment I saw him I knew part 7 was something special.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's nice how part 7 doesn't constrain itself too much to the structure it establishes - even though at the start it's 'about' horse racing, it uses the horse race for a while and then starts shifting focus between it and the corpse parts hunting, and then it even closes up the corpse hunt a lot faster than it potentially could've and doubles down on the big conspiracy. For a story centred around very concrete structures, it was really nice to see Araki not rely on them super heavily. At the same time, those structures existing in the background gives the entire story a scope that you can grasp very easily, so it isn't the string of unexpected developments that some other parts are. It's a really good balance, and I think that at the moment Jojolion isn't hitting that balance for me the way SBR did, and it's suffering a bit because of it (although I'm still enjoying jojolion).

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Moltrey posted:

I think it starts to drag by the end, but if it stopped there it would be fine. For how amazing Diego's World is, that's really where I felt "Kay I want this to end now."

as I posted in this thread a couple months ago when I read it, I almost yelled with excitement when it turned out Valentine found the like, one Diego in the multiverse with The World

I was so pumped

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it would've been nicer if Johnny and Diego had a more meaningful relationship in SBR, since Scary Monsters Diego doesn't really seem to care about Johnny one way or the other.

I like Diego's World for that reason. Johnny had developed into a threat that Diego had to surmount to win.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

The fact that is was a fight where the dude with time stop was at a disadvantage made it pretty fun.

Also, like people in the thread said before, the Valentine fight went on for literally a year. Imagine how that must have felt.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fiend Computer posted:

The fact that is was a fight where the dude with time stop was at a disadvantage made it pretty fun.

Also, like people in the thread said before, the Valentine fight went on for literally a year. Imagine how that must have felt.

Another advantage of archival over serial reading. I think I read the Valentine fight in a single night.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I thought it was weird when the story decided actually Johnny had seen Diego before and they knew each other in some capacity before the race but they never acted this way before this reveal

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Baal posted:

It was Jonathan's stand jesus christ

I thought Jonathan's stand was called 「The Passion」 and just looked like jesus christ. Or did Jonathan have The World and Dio had The Passion? Was Dio The Passion? I can't remember my Jorge Joestar.

Also EoH SuperDio's stand is obv. 「He's Got The Whole World In His Hands」

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Edit: Never mind, missed :thejoke:.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If it's Jorge Joestar, it's some bullshit you're thinking too hard about.

Super DIO's finally going to get the first Iron Maiden track, Heaven can wait because his MIH will have time stop and fast forward and lots of other crazy poo poo.

In all serious though, I would expect that if this is a heaven mode DIO, his Made in Heaven will have a different ability to Pucci's to make things interesting but god knows what they could do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Archenteron posted:

I thought Jonathan's stand was called 「The Passion」 and just looked like jesus christ. Or did Jonathan have The World and Dio had The Passion? Was Dio The Passion? I can't remember my Jorge Joestar.

Also EoH SuperDio's stand is obv. 「He's Got The Whole World In His Hands」

Jonathan is Jesus Christ when voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think it would've been nicer if Johnny and Diego had a more meaningful relationship in SBR, since Scary Monsters Diego doesn't really seem to care about Johnny one way or the other.

I like Diego's World for that reason. Johnny had developed into a threat that Diego had to surmount to win.
I actually think this is one of the strengths of SBR - not necessarily in a vacuum, per se, but against the backdrop and meta-narrative of the series as a whole. In the prime timeline, Dio and Jonathan are two characters who are very much defined by one another, who become what they become because of their relationship. SBR, meanwhile, casts Johnny and Diego as separate actors with only a passing familiarity with one another, which allows us to appreciate both how they developed on their own terms as well as how they influenced each other. Of course Johnny and Diego aren't 1:1 copies of their originals, but they're still similar in a lot of ways that ring true. Johnny is a far more "Complex" character than Jonathan ever was, but he ultimately becomes the same kind of man as Jonathan, which Part 8 further cements.

Prison Warden posted:

Another advantage of archival over serial reading. I think I read the Valentine fight in a single night.
I actually stopped reading the series for awhile during the Valentine fight because I wanted to read it all in one go. So I did, and still felt it dragged. It starts well and ends well and Valentine's a great villain, there was just a lot of stuff in the middle I would've cut down on or consolidated.

I'm also of two minds about Diego 2.0's inclusion, but generally at peace with it since it wraps up so satisfyingly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diego did nothing wrong and he is my husband

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope you train him to have a good head on his shoulders.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone on /a/ managed to fill in the blanks with the EoH character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Speedwagod.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

Someone on /a/ managed to fill in the blanks with the EoH character.

Super Speedwagon 3

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I can live with a godly Speedwagon. Not that he is not godly already.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Just finished up with part seven, and the ending was totally crazy. D4C is nuts, Funny Valentine is a great villain and Johnny was a great cowboy hero. The fight with the president was very confusing, but i feel that that added to the tension. I only hope that part 8 has the same crazy finale.
As it is now it's a bit too slow but it could be that Araki is trying new stuff who knows.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

I love this page so much

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can't help but think of the Wicked Witch of the West East every time I see it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Momomo posted:

I can't help but think of the Wicked Witch of the West East every time I see it.

Every ounce of my being wants to make a friend of dorothy joke

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ascalapha odorata posted:

Every ounce of my being wants to make a friend of dorothy joke

Make it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It was going to be bad anyway.

I don't need to put that in spoilers, do I? Bad Seafood if you think so feel free to mess with it but I'm not sure since it's, you know, just something someone hosed around with

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 5, 2015

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

upgraded DIO after all?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Literally Super Saiyan 3 Dio.

Sorry that took so long

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Super Saiyan 3DO

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Liquid!?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't like the design, DIO is all about the loud fashion and accessorising, he wouldn't be caught dead looking like a generic shounen villain

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Baal posted:

Super Saiyan 3DO

I thought they went out of business

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

When you want to show off your hot DIO bookmark and feel like somehow maybe you should actually tag it as nws:

What the gently caress did he do to Jonathan's body

I actually wanted jojonium 12 w/ kakyoin BUT OF COURSE it was out of stock at the bookstore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What in the World's going on with his waist?