Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Trap shooting. Hundred rounds a go. Two rounds each. (200) Two days in a weekend (400). Three family members (1200). Four weeks in a month. (4800).

I hope I've been informative, because I really wouldn't mind dropping the topic.

Nothing like taking your wife and children out to a range on saturday and sunday of every weekend of every month to shoot off a few hundred rounds :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

this_is_hard posted:

Nothing like taking your wife and children out to a range on saturday and sunday of every weekend of every month to shoot off a few hundred rounds :911:

It's better than keeping them home and murdering them. Easier to hide the bodies and spent shells.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

It's better than keeping them home and murdering them. Easier to hide the bodies and spent shells.

With that many Gun's at home, they're statistically more likely to murder themselves!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Warcabbit posted:

Trap shooting. Hundred rounds a go. Two rounds each. (200) Two days in a weekend (400). Three family members (1200). Four weeks in a month. (4800).

I hope I've been informative, because I really wouldn't mind dropping the topic.

You're right, I didn't account for the possibility you spend literally every weekend trap shooting.

You...got me?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's a league. There's a dinner at the end of the season and score is kept. It's a sport, you know? Seriously, not trying to play gotcha, just trying to use my personal situation to explain a specific issue.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

So Jeb just got asked about mass shootings at an event in Greenville, South Carolina. His response?

"Stuff happens"

I mean holy poo poo. How is he this loving bad. You don't want to give a policy solution you trot out some empty bromides about thoughts and prayers, say something about we need to work towards a world where love conquers hate, change the subject. You don't fumble through an answer where you use the words "stuff happens" to write off a mass shooting event

In response to every slow meaty pitch across the plate he proceeds to whiff three times and catches the ball right in the nuts.

This combined with his 4% pew poll showing is going to result in more panicked conference calls from his donors, which he's probably getting sick of by now.

He's really loving bad at this. How much longer can he openly suck like this before the money starts to wander off?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The dude apparently went on about organized religion, it's fair to say this may be genuine, dude.

I've always wondered, Rent-A-Cop and all, I assume you at least agree we should have SOME gun laws. If you have beef with non-experts writing them, who should? Wouldn't the 'experts' in this case all be in the pro-gun industry lobby? Isn't that like saying 'big pharma' should write our healthcare laws?

The thing is a lot of people know about guns: how they technically work, what's popular and why, how they're used in crime, and how criminal and legitimate use varies. You don't need to be a manufacturer, or a "gun nut" or whatever, and just a little technical and practical knowledge would put you leaps and bounds ahead of the writers of most laws on the books.

The problem is that people who have this sort of knowledge, whether because they're into guns as a personal hobby, have worked with them professionally due to military/police experience, or just are non-shooters buckled down and done research on how to make better gun control: they all seem to not hop onto the loud cries to "do something", and they don't put their weight behind the current proposal for regulating cosmetic features, how many bullets can be bought a time, or how much pistols are allowed to weigh. They point out when proposals are already covered by current law. They might even suggest loosening laws that are known to be byzantine and ineffectual. In short, from the perspective of many gun control advocates, knowledge itself tends to turn people into the enemy.

Of course, it goes both ways. Try to propose consistent gun laws actually aimed at reducing violence and you won't only get pushback from panicked, ignorant incrementalists, you'll get pushback from gun owners who want literally zero restrictions and from those who are okay with reducing crime but from long experience associate gun control proposals with bad-faith actors.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know if the last 100 pages of gunchat mentioned this but Chaffetz is going to challenge McCarthy and run for speaker

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
New Jeb campaign logo idea:

¯¡_(ツ)_!¯

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fried Chicken posted:

So Jeb just got asked about mass shootings at an event in Greenville, South Carolina. His response?

"Stuff happens"

I mean holy poo poo. How is he this loving bad. You don't want to give a policy solution you trot out some empty bromides about thoughts and prayers, say something about we need to work towards a world where love conquers hate, change the subject. You don't fumble through an answer where you use the words "stuff happens" to write off a mass shooting event

This opinion is reflective of how most Americans feel. 2A is unassailable, and persistent, frequent crushing tragedy and bloodshed is just the loving price of freedom.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

this_is_hard posted:

With that many Gun's at home, they're statistically more likely to murder themselves!

God is great.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWgPmgdk6Y

50 seconds in, if the other candidates are smart, this is devastating, he says it in an absolutely shruggy way.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Apparently according to twitter, this is the Stuff Happens video.

I can barely hear it but it's there at around :50.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Does anyone have links to studies that back up the forensic psychiatrist at the end of this?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

pathetic little tramp posted:

50 seconds in, if the other candidates are smart, this is devastating, he says it in an absolutely shruggy way.

Jeb just served himself on a silver platter with an apple in his mouth right to Trump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eh, he didn't pause enough to make it a good soundbite to take out of context. In context, its not as bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Jeb is trapped in a presidential primary and is desperately trying to get out.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

He actually loving doubled down on it when given a chance to clarify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJp4WhIASVk

Is he purposely killing his campaign or is he really this stupid?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Trabisnikof posted:

eh, he didn't pause enough to make it a good soundbite to take out of context. In context, its not as bad.

You think Trump is going to care?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh yeah it's completely sensible in context, but he's polling at 4% and has been nosediving for weeks. All he needs is something to catch fire to finish him off and this is something pretty easy for people to get their teeth into.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

You think Trump is going to care?

Yeah but trump doesn't need a real quote to use either.

Trump bringing this up just lets Bush pivot to some sad story from when he was governor. Bush was clearly just talking about overreacting to tragedies in general and thus the generic phrasing.

Oh yeah it's completely sensible in context, but he's polling at 4% and has been nosediving for weeks. All he needs is something to catch fire to finish him off and this is something pretty easy for people to get their teeth into.

I guess I don't think this quote will impact Bush's chances. That is to say, this isn't turning a winner into a loser.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Crime. Boy, I don't know."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

¯¡_(ツ)_!¯

Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Jeb just served himself on a silver platter with an apple in his mouth right to Trump.

Trump just said pretty much exactly the same thing earlier this morning, though:

Donald Trump posted:

You’re going to have these things happen... what are you going to do?

This is basically the Republican position on mass shootings now. "Eh, whatevs."

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

I take it you haven't seen trumps response of "What are you going to do, institutionalize everybody?"

e: ^^^^ you son of a bitch

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

¯¡_(ツ)_!¯
Wouldn't be the first time a poltician used it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

this_is_hard posted:

hmm ya 5000 rounds of ammunition is definitely something i wanna store in my home until i 'need it'

ammunition is like golf except it murders a school full of children 2-3 times a month :woop:

Also, in the game of golf, the objective is to get the lowest score possible. :ironicat:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well, poo poo.

Here I was hoping Trump would have an evens shittier position and mock everyone else. Oh well.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

All of the recent news has been causing me to eat at the bar a lot. Just doing my part. :patriot:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Jeb Bush really is the biggest argument against heavy marijuana use.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Haha. I love how he interprets the questioning of his phrase of "stuff happens" to mean that the reporter is unaware that "stuff" can also mean "things".

He should have just committed, and said "poo poo happens". It actually comes off more offensive that he censored himself when making such a dismissive and fatalist statement about people routinely being murdered.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Governor Nixon of Missouri has commuted Kimber Edwards sentence from death to life without parole

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

Asked to react to Bush's comment, President Barack Obama was blunt.

"I don’t even think I have to react to that one, I think the American people should hear that and make their own judgments based on the fact that every couple of months we have a mass shooting,” Obama said at a press conference Friday afternoon. "They can decide whether they consider that 'stuff happens.'"

(link)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Obama responds to Jeb

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/obama-speechless-after-hearing-jeb-bush-stuff-happens-quote/

Aaaaaaaaaannnnndddddd TOP trend on Twitter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Obama to the left of me, the Donald to the right, and I'm stuck right in the middle with Rube.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

withak posted:

"Crime. Boy, I don't know."

it's eerie, isn't it?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
The "wow, stuff happens!" polititoon was eerily prescient...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
nine americans murdered by american: "oh well, stuff happens, what can you do"

four americans murdered by libyans: "this is completely unacceptable. we must discover what happened and prevent this from happening ever again, no matter how long it takes"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He really is that stupid.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

nine americans murdered by american POSSIBLY BECAUSE OUR TEAM FAILED TO ACT: "oh well, stuff happens, what can you do"

four americans murdered by libyans POSSIBLY BECAUSE THEIR TEAM FAILED TO ACT: "this is completely unacceptable. we must discover what happened and prevent this from happening ever again, no matter how long it takes"

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's a smart play, it's exactly what almost all Republicans want to hear about this. A commitment to inaction.

• Locked thread