Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

CaptainRightful posted:

Aside from him overhyping it, is there anything actually bad about Arctic Scavengers? It got plenty of other good reviews and a quick search through this thread only turns up positive comments from people who have actually played it.

I quite like it, and can see why the SUSD guys like it too. It turns the interaction of Dominion up quite a bit, and those guys like extremely interactive games (Skull, etc) the most.

I wish I could play it more, and I wish I wasn't such a sucker for deck builders to quickly want to try the new shiney one out (Valley of Kings or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

What is the difference between the Red and Blue versions Pandemic Legacy? My girlfriends family loves to play Pandemic every Christmas, so I am interested in picking up the new version of the game this thread has even bashing for the last six pages.

Knowing that there were different versions of the "Do not open this ever" hidden pack in Risk: Legacy I'm guessing there will be some sort of easter egg like that which is different per box color.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I thought they explicitly stated that there is no difference, and that it's literally just for people who want to play the game with multiple groups to then have an easy way to differentiate them.

e: yep

Scyther fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 2, 2015

korora
Sep 3, 2011

PlaneGuy posted:

I am against pre-communication in Hanabi. A lot of the fun (at least for me) is developing the meta after a few plays. So and so does the last-card-discard thing, she doesn't, he has no short-term memory, he thinks he has short-term memory but doesn't, etc. Discovering your teammate's quirks and developing a way to communicate within the game's framework is the interesting part. If you sit down at the table and say "HELLO HERE IS MY META" then it's like spoiling the end of a movie.

I know there aren't any rules against pre-communication, so it's a group thing... it's just on my mind since it's very much the opinion of our crew and a new guy joined one of our nights recently and got really upset when no one followed whatever international standard Hanabi conventions he thought the entire planet had played by. Then he got more upset when people just wanted to play the next game out instead of being lectured on these conventions before they started.
Out of curiosity, what were the conventions? The oldest-card-discard is logical and I think most groups discover it independently. We also usually allow reminding people what they were clued if they forget (especially new players) because we care more about the communication puzzle than the memory mini-game.

Personally I tell new players about tracking card age because I think the puzzle is more interesting when everyone knows the basics. I also tell them about the importance of trusting that the clues given by other players were given for a reason because otherwise people will wait to have perfect information before making a play and that kind of ruins the game.

Also if you're not doing a post-mortem on the weird plays people made you're missing out.

Broken Loose posted:

The crux of Hanabi discussion is as follows: It's possible to organize a metagame of choreographed plays and subtext that communicates outside of the verbal limitations of the game. It is possible (but not definitive) that this is cheating. If you do not do this, then the game comes down 85% or so to luck.
You only think that's the crux of the discussion because you don't actually understand how to succeed at Hanabi. What you mistake for a "metagame of choreographed plays and subtext" is just player skill improvement— the main skill in Hanabi being an ability to craft and interpret clues in the full context of the board state and recent play history. Subtext through context is the whole point and it absolutely does not require cheating.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
So, I just won my first online game of Twilight Struggle. I started strong, the US player started catching up, and then I played Cuban Missle Crisis and Uncle Sam went and triggered it giving me the win. Not sure if the game having an alert pop up that says "Hey, dumbass, you're about to trigger DEFCON 1! You sure you want to start that coup in Panama?" would help or gently caress up the spirit of the game in all honesty.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Chantry has it and it seems pretty much within the spirit of the game if it would be obvious to a slightly more experienced player.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My favorite Twilight Struggle story (I forget where I heard it) is a more experienced player triggering CIA Created at Defcon 2 against a newbie , who then proceeds to pore over the board for a good five minutes before placing an influence somewhere.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

What is the difference between the Red and Blue versions Pandemic Legacy?

Each has a few different diseases and in order to catch all the diseases you have to trade between versions. I'm sorry.

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it as well despite the fact that he beat the hell out of us and then also proceeded to rack up a massive score in Concordia in his first game.

Funny how the game I gave the highest score to was the one I lost, Hansa Teutonica. Pretty impressed with the flexibility and the possible strategies for it. Looking forward to trying it again sometime.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I think I mentioned this before, but I've had great fun (and great results) playing Hanabi with strangers, the only pre-communication being "the goal of the game is to play cards, everything follows from that".

2P strategy question:
(x = multicolour, matches all colour clues)
Partner starts, tells me about two ones in my hand. She has 3w 1b 1x 1b 2x.
Do I play my ones to see if they overlap with hers or try to give a hint?

I couldn't think of what to do next if I clued the ones, so I chose to play - they were yellow and blue. After I played the second 1 she discarded the 2x. The other 2x and 3w being second and third last cards left us only able to score 27-28 despite knowing all of the cards. I think best is to just clue "2" before anything is played, then follow it with "red" or "green" for the 1x 2x (either immiediately or play my ones first).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mega64 posted:

Funny how the game I gave the highest score to was the one I lost, Hansa Teutonica. Pretty impressed with the flexibility and the possible strategies for it. Looking forward to trying it again sometime.

Yeah, that was my first 3p game (had played at only 4/5 before) and it was great. Especially with how fast we were playing (we must have knocked it out in 45 min).

I've got a couple of new maps on preorder from MM so I'll bring them along sometime.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Mega64 posted:

Each has a few different diseases and in order to catch all the diseases you have to trade between versions. I'm sorry.

Gotta catch em all?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

My favorite Twilight Struggle story (I forget where I heard it) is a more experienced player triggering CIA Created at Defcon 2 against a newbie , who then proceeds to pore over the board for a good five minutes before placing an influence somewhere.
So if I understand things correctly (it's been a while since I've played), the newbie who's presumably playing the US could have won by using the ops to attempt a coup in a battleground nation? Which would then lower DEFCON to 1 on the USSR's phase, making them lose?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Yup, instant win.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My first game, I was the USSR and my opponent conceded under those circumstances.

The problem was, the way he explained it, I thought that the player who caused the DEFCON to hit 1 would lose, so I said "there's no way I'd make that play."

He refused to continue playing, because it was the correct play for me so I had to win.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I hope the Twilight Struggle app has some training wheels for that sort of thing, so you don't auto-lose by some DEFCON suicide card or holding a scoring card. Losing because you haven't internalized all the rules sucks.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

korora posted:

Out of curiosity, what were the conventions? The oldest-card-discard is logical and I think most groups discover it independently. We also usually allow reminding people what they were clued if they forget (especially new players) because we care more about the communication puzzle than the memory mini-game.

To be honest I don't know the specifics. I just wandered over to their game to see if they were done and wanted to mix up players and there was this heated discussion about it all. The only other one he mentioned at this point was "a single card clue = play now", which is a convention I've broken on multiple occasions to great effect.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I only play Hanabi when at least one person at the table has never played before precisely to prevent that sort of convention from developing.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Jedit posted:

Want to meet up at some point? If you're by yourself you can probably tag along with our group, which is a lot more fun than going solo, or if you're in company we can maybe get both groups into someone's hotel bar and play the Vital Lacerda Drinking Game.

Yeah, I'd be up for a meetup with any gaming goons in attendance. I'm there the full 4 days with a small group so we should take over a hotel and play Codenames or something :D

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Poopy Palpy posted:

I only play Hanabi when at least one person at the table has never played before precisely to prevent that sort of convention from developing.

I've played it a few times with the same people and we finally got a 25 the other week. And we haven't yet developed conventions I feel uncomfortable with, though we've come close to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

John Dough posted:

By the way, if you still have any of those Polish Discworld books left that you posted about in the Book Barn thread, I know someone who'd like to have them.

I have all of them still, and there's no problem bringing them so long as you can guarantee I won't have to take them back - luggage space and weight being at a premium on the way home.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
what's the hotel situation at Essen like? Is it something you have to book a year in advance?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

My favourite games of Hanabi have been with people I haven't played with before, that know the game. Everyone already has some kind of convention they follow, but figuring it out for each person is really enjoyable.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I picked up Battle Line recently and it's great, my wife is crazy about it and has been asking to play every night since we got it. Any other good fast playing games like this? I know of Lost cities but I hear it's not as good as BL. Maybe some other Knizia game I should look at?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I finally got around to playing a test game of Race for the Galaxy, and I have to say I am impressed, in several ways. I did not have the expansion with the single player variant, so I just drew two phase cards at random every round to "simulate" an opponent. At first the deluge of symbols and icons on the cards was rather intimidating, but now that I am more familiar with the game I appreciate it's compactness. Using down turned cards for tokens, and cards in hand as purchasing power is brilliant. This is a decently complex economic game reduced down to a single deck of cards, a similar game that was less well designed would come with a mountain of wooden cubes and tokens, a bulky mess to set up and carry around. Race for the Galaxy, in contrast, can fit into my book bag. I think I may have found a replacement for Fluxx :v:

The game itself is a pretty standard engine building, with a very decent variety of development paths considering the size of the game. I haven't exactly mastered it yet, but I had the feeling of actually making important decisions each round. The round drafting is just plain fun. I'm sure once I get better and memorize all the cards the decisions will be more obvious, but hopefully not overly much. Over all A+ game, the economic game is very good (not better than Agricola, of course), but what sends it over the top is the the fact that I can take it anywhere.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
For those of you in the audience who aren't familiar, Race for the Galaxy is a terrible game, and Eminent Domain does literally everything it does, better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

For those of you in the audience who aren't familiar, Race for the Galaxy is a terrible game, and Eminent Domain does literally everything it does, better.

quote:

Components:

1x central card display
96x role cards (16x produce/trade, 20x research, 20x colonize, 16x warfare, 20x survey, 4x politics)
27x planet cards (9x each type)
6x start planets
39x technology cards (13x advanced, 13x fertile, 13x metallic)
35x fighter tokens (20x small, 10x medium, 5x big; can be used as same value tokens or in 1/3/5 value or 1/5/10 value as needed/preferred; will be used differently in expansions)
24x resource tokens (6x food, 6x water, 6x iron, 6x silicon)

4x player aid tiles
32x influence tokens (24x regular + 8x for endgame)
1x rulebook

No everything. I'm not carrying all that poo poo in my book bag, no thanks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

So I finally got around to playing a test game of Race for the Galaxy, and I have to say I am impressed, in several ways. I did not have the expansion with the single player variant, so I just drew two phase cards at random every round to "simulate" an opponent. At first the deluge of symbols and icons on the cards was rather intimidating, but now that I am more familiar with the game I appreciate it's compactness. Using down turned cards for tokens, and cards in hand as purchasing power is brilliant. This is a decently complex economic game reduced down to a single deck of cards, a similar game that was less well designed would come with a mountain of wooden cubes and tokens, a bulky mess to set up and carry around. Race for the Galaxy, in contrast, can fit into my book bag. I think I may have found a replacement for Fluxx :v:

The game itself is a pretty standard engine building, with a very decent variety of development paths considering the size of the game. I haven't exactly mastered it yet, but I had the feeling of actually making important decisions each round. The round drafting is just plain fun. I'm sure once I get better and memorize all the cards the decisions will be more obvious, but hopefully not overly much. Over all A+ game, the economic game is very good (not better than Agricola, of course), but what sends it over the top is the the fact that I can take it anywhere.

Broken Loose posted:

boardgame_thread.txt

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

EBag posted:

I picked up Battle Line recently and it's great, my wife is crazy about it and has been asking to play every night since we got it. Any other good fast playing games like this? I know of Lost cities but I hear it's not as good as BL. Maybe some other Knizia game I should look at?

What Knizia games have you played? I've become a big fan.

For breezier Knizias, I say definitely try out Lost Cities. Times Square is pretty cool, too. Keltis Neue Wiege is good, sort of a Super Lost Cities Hyper Fighting Ex edition (I imported it). I hear Blue Moon Legends is a bit like Battle Line but with CCG like card powers, I haven't played it though. Loco is another fun little game.

Ingenious is a nice little quick abstract, we played this a ton when we were binging on Lost Cities and Battle Line. Played well at 2p. Through the Desert is another great, elegant abstract. Qin is a little less popular, it seems, but we like it.

Have you played one of his auction games? Some are pretty quick and elegant. I love Ra, great 3p game. Hollywood Blockbuster, Modern Art and Medici are great, too. They are all out of print but I have got used copies for reasonable prices on bgg by subscribing to the sales section for each game. These aren't really 2p games, though.

For non-Kniza games that we might play if we were in the mood to play Battle Line, we'll play Haggis, Piñata (formerly Ballon Cup), Metropolys (this feels like Knizia ghost-designed it), Patchwork

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'm in the clunky TS beta. Username AztecTwoStep. Challenge me.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

So I just played Kingdom Death: Monster.

It's much Much MUCH better than I expected it to me.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Malloreon posted:

So I just played Kingdom Death: Monster.

It's much Much MUCH better than I expected it to me.

How many lion ding-dongs did you accumulate by the end?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

No everything. I'm not carrying all that poo poo in my book bag, no thanks.

pictured: the difference between bookbag-sized and too big, apparently

(note-- the emdo lid isn't on straight; they're literally the same thickness)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That Korea Draob Games edition is p sweet looking.

I like both Race and Eminent Domain. I give the nod to the latter but the former packs a bit tidier and and is a little quicker to set up

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

pictured: the difference between bookbag-sized and too big, apparently

Uh dude, you can take the cards out of the box :rolleyes:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

How many lion ding-dongs did you accumulate by the end?

They're so much more difficult to acquire than we'd hoped.

We played the initial showdown and settlement, then a complete hunt/showdown/settlement cycle.

There's a lot more to the game than just grid based moving and attacking. You actually manage the growth of a town, craft gear, manage disorders and impairments to your dudes, etc.

I think of it as Tales of Arabian Nights meets HeroQuest.

There's a ton of dice rolling and a lot of looking up in tables to find out what terrible poo poo happens to you. ("roll 1-2: your head explodes and you die" - this happened to someone!)

The presentation/components are amazing, it's fun and light. Way better than I expected.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Broken Loose posted:

Race also comes with convenient half-size expansion boxes to compress your cards into.

Gameplay comparisons aside, it's definitely more portable...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

One thing about Race is I think it would maybe be bad if it was like 2x or more longer. There is a little bit of a fishing/single deck element to it that I think would be bleh if it weren't so easy to shuffle up and deal again after a peak-variance round. It's definitely a game where the better player will win over repeated plays but has some variance in any one play. Good game to play against your gaming arch nemesis over and over

Basically, as variance in a game increases, duration of a game and time to setup/teardown must decrease, such that you can flatten out the variance with a large enough sample of games, at least according to the universal theory of fosbourne

Edit: also if you use dice you could probably fit both games in a couple magic deck boxes or a fat pack or something. EmDo needs to be sorted a bit more after a game though, but it's hella fun so whatevs

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 3, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Good game to play against your gaming arch nemesis over and over.

Can confirm, currenly somewhere on the order of 45-25 against one particular gaming arch nemesis (using Alien Artifacts, worse stats with arc 1 but we don't play that much anymore...)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Edit: also if you use dice you could probably fit both games in a couple magic deck boxes or a fat pack or something.

This was my thought exactly, it only has 145 cards total so it'll likely fit into one of the larger Magic deck boxes unsleeved. I don't think there is any point in sleeving it, the cards are plastic (I do love plastic cards :) ). Until then elastic bands will suffice.

I travel a lot; I would love to bring Agricola along, but it's just too bulky. A big deck of cards on the other hand I can easily make room for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Plastic? Mine were card stock.