Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Don't give B^Uckley traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yeah I feel bad for clicking on his site

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Clicking on CAD is often harder on B^U than the reader, but with time you can move past it and heal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SRM posted:

Don't give B^Uckley traffic.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kingdom death is the miscarriage that we all have to move past

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Super 3 posted:

Looks like Buckley did a review/play through of the kingdom of death board game: http://www.cad-comic.com/

I'm intrigued by the idea that it looks like you can play it solo. Then I thought about it and assume thats by design. First if you can convince someone to come over to your board game hovel and they get a look at the miniatures they're probably figuring out their escape routes pretty quickly.

We had some folks play it at work friday night during our game time and they enjoyed it. They had to kill the white lion and it murdered one dude and had two more people down and about to die when the guy who had been missing all game threw his rock and killed it, David and Goliath style.

Then they turned a bunch of hides into a tannery so now they can turn more hides into other things, IDK.

The game mechanically sounds very videogamey, with a complicated meta game that happens inbetween missions, but the presentation is all very nice and high quality. And has titmonsters.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Renfield posted:

Clicking on CAD is often harder on B^U than the reader, but with time you can move past it and heal

:drat:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Sigma-X posted:

We had some folks play it at work friday night during our game time and they enjoyed it. They had to kill the white lion and it murdered one dude and had two more people down and about to die when the guy who had been missing all game threw his rock and killed it, David and Goliath style.

Then they turned a bunch of hides into a tannery so now they can turn more hides into other things, IDK.

The game mechanically sounds very videogamey, with a complicated meta game that happens inbetween missions, but the presentation is all very nice and high quality. And has titmonsters.

Titmonsters at work !? There's also the harvesting of lion scrots to make I dunno, pants or something.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Are the KD Monster rules available anywhere? Is it actually playable, or just an afterthought to the sexualized horror minis?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sigma-X posted:

So is it like a DnD-boardgame thing? Are the rules as FATAL-like as the minis?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren:Paging Moola:siren:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

So is it like a DnD-boardgame thing? Are the rules as FATAL-like as the minis?

Eh... There are no actual role playing. Think more like sexy dwarf fortress, maybe?

There are three parts: one is a party (usually 4) go hunting a monster. Here you roll on a D100 chart. Some results are "you eat poop" roll a D10 on 4 - 6 your name is now "Scat man". "Death Wager" roll a die, on a 1 you die, on a 10 you get +1 luck. Sometimes you can gain bonus resources.
There are monster specific hunting results as well... I think the lion has a field of ticks event that damages your legs.

Once you reach the monster on the track you fight it. This is both interesting and meh? You have a random AI deck that counts as the monsters life. If the last card is the best attack of the monster you are in trouble because it will keep using it. When you hit the monster you draw from the hit location deck: there are trap cards that disregard all hits and cause the monster to do something. These suck. Some hit location will have effects if you damage it, or fail to damage it. These can range from good to bad. Cool ideas but somewhat too random as there are plenty of "save or die" die rolls in all aspects of the game. Win and get resources. Most of the combat is "get behind the monster, and hope you don't top deck the trap card twice in a row".

Then there is the settlement phase. Spend resources for gear, innovations, etc. Also, when you get back from a hunt you draw a random event that might randomly kill you on a random "save or die" roll. Sometimes the rolls will give a bonus to a character. You have a pool of survivors that you reach into to go on hunts. Once you get used to the fact that nothing is permanent, including that one character that was your main man the last 4 hunts, you will be better off. He gonna die, get used to it. Dead guys count against the population, though you can make babies to make it up (which is surprisingly not graphic).

As characters are damaged they might take permanent injuries. One guy was my bow guy until he lost an arm. You also take brain damage, and the page that contains the brain trauma has a dude kneeling down with his fat dick just hanging out like it was nothing. Other than a few tits the main game isn't raptastic as you might think. That's for the expansion monsters I guess? Brain Trauma indeed.

EDIT: I will say this, it has a lot of good ideas mixed in there. If you are interested in game design it might be worth looking into. Other than the tonal whiplash you get (aka "eat poop to gain scat man" and hit monster in the "ding dong" also here are your survivors huddled together in fear but one has her tits out) and some of the exceedingly random save or die situations that make hunting a monster more likely to kill you than the monster encounter itself, it has a lot going for it. The actual fights need an extra coat of... something but the hit and AI decks are a neat idea and the monsters are unique. Building the settlement is cool and has some tough and meaningful choices.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 2, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

LordAba posted:

Some results are "you eat poop" roll a D10 on 4 - 6 your name is now "Scat man".
I'm not really getting what you're saying, like you mean you die, or ....?

LordAba posted:

Other than the tonal whiplash you get (aka "eat poop to gain scat man"

Oh you mean literally.

Well. That's certainly something.

Thanks for eating the strange berries in the forest for us.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Super 3 posted:

Titmonsters at work !? There's also the harvesting of lion scrots to make I dunno, pants or something.

I didn't play it, the dude has not actually modeled any of the titmonsters and I don't think the base game has anything beyond maybe some cheesecakey characters. The guy who sits next to me bought it and a bunch of other models and was talking it up. Also we work at a videogame company and this was during beer time on a friday so nobody was going to get too upset over inch tall plastic anatomy.

It's basically Monster Hunter / Dwarf Fortress AFAIK, you go hunt things, take the parts and build your basecamp.

They do some really cool things to ease you in though:

1) instructions at the front say "build up some cool models, don't worry about gameplay ramifications, models don't need to be WYSIWYG, you have lots of customizable parts, go nuts and have fun!"
2) instructions have a first game that walks you through the basic rules, and specifically says "don't bother reading the rule book yet, just follow through this game and everything will click" and it did. This is pretty awesome, especially since his and mine mini experiences consist of the GW rulebook.
3) they have story bits and art that supercede the missions in the rulebook which sets the mood and narrative much more nicely than again, the GW style of 100page infodumps that can't be consumed during gameplay

I think someone went crazy in his game and there's definitely gross and terrible poo poo that happens in the game but the whole thing comes off as more of a brutality and bodyhorror thing than a wank piece.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Are the KD Monster rules available anywhere? Is it actually playable, or just an afterthought to the sexualized horror minis?

Someone's scanned pretty much everything in the box apart from the minis and they are available if you know where to look.

By all accounts a decent game with lots of RNG fuckery and the aforementioned tonal whiplash - it's not as pervasive as you might expect, but it's really jarring when you run into it. If you got rid of the random scatological humour and cheesecake it actually looks like it'd make a pretty decent Dark/Demon Souls + Monster Hunter Simulator. The game mechanics look interesting enough.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
My thinking is that they started with a decent game, then realized partway through the Kickstarter where the dollar signs were.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Someone's scanned pretty much everything in the box apart from the minis and they are available if you know where to look.

By all accounts a decent game with lots of RNG fuckery and the aforementioned tonal whiplash - it's not as pervasive as you might expect, but it's really jarring when you run into it. If you got rid of the random scatological humour and cheesecake it actually looks like it'd make a pretty decent Dark/Demon Souls + Monster Hunter Simulator. The game mechanics look interesting enough.

Nah, can't be arsed :v: 99% of boardgames have the basic rules officially available free online, so figured it'd be the case.

Speaking of cheesecake, you know how most Kingdom Death female minis have very wide "birthing" hips? Recently (shortly before the Monster release) they released some changelog wrt their mini range, one of the points was that they improved the female figure. Guess what. They made them even wider, apparently it wasn't obvious before that they're someone's fetish. :doh:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma-X posted:

3) they have story bits and art that supercede the missions in the rulebook which sets the mood and narrative much more nicely than again, the GW style of 100page infodumps that can't be consumed during gameplay

After the creepy art the mood/narrative is the worse part of game IMO.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
"save or die" situations are 100% intentional, it's called Kingdom of Death it has Rule of Death, and your survivors can die during birth, radical tooth surgery, eating fruit, your best survivor can get killed by your most insane one (which might get him elected as the tribe leader depending on stuff) , there might some caustic mist coming... The list goes on.

I do like the settlement phase as a concept, as well as slaughtering monsters for bits. Loved ever since I had the epiphany in Witcher 1 that monsters are just mobile potion ingredients that need to be beaten into submission.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

JackMann posted:

My thinking is that they started with a decent game, then realized partway through the Kickstarter where the dollar signs were.

The dollar signs explain the cheesecake, but not really the random deaths or weirdly juvenile humor. That'd be all from the devs themselves.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Nah, can't be arsed :v: 99% of boardgames have the basic rules officially available free online, so figured it'd be the case.

Speaking of cheesecake, you know how most Kingdom Death female minis have very wide "birthing" hips? Recently (shortly before the Monster release) they released some changelog wrt their mini range, one of the points was that they improved the female figure. Guess what. They made them even wider, apparently it wasn't obvious before that they're someone's fetish. :doh:

I bet the creator has got posters from Hyung-tae Kim all over his room. That guy's art is the logical conclusion of this fetish.

I got so much crap about 'thunder thighs' when I released my very first Battlesuit, I'm kinda annoyed birthing hips gets him mega sales instead. Should have put tits on my models :doh:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Z the IVth posted:

I bet the creator has got posters from Hyung-tae Kim all over his room. That guy's art is the logical conclusion of this fetish.

I got so much crap about 'thunder thighs' when I released my very first Battlesuit, I'm kinda annoyed birthing hips gets him mega sales instead. Should have put tits on my models :doh:

"I like like big butts and I cannot lie..."

I don't know what mini's you made, but tbh I'm curious to see a thunder thigh Battlesuit with tits. Would it be a manga babe wearing a manga babe battlesuit wearing a metal bikini? Possibly with a manga babe pin-up girl painted on like plane nose art?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Just up the scale and make the boobs cockpits.

JcDent posted:

"save or die" situations are 100% intentional, it's called Kingdom of Death it has Rule of Death, and your survivors can die during birth, radical tooth surgery, eating fruit, your best survivor can get killed by your most insane one (which might get him elected as the tribe leader depending on stuff) , there might some caustic mist coming... The list goes on.

I'm sure they are intentional, but I don't think it is a good thing to rely on it. Just wish the balance between absolutely random and player choice was a little more balanced toward the choice aspect.
Even in the monster fights it is less "you messed up and died" and more "you had bad luck when shuffling the hit location deck". The best way to get through them is have someone who can look and reorder AI cards and a couple other survivors with strong, one hit weapons so you can knock out powerful AI cards with minimal trap cards.

If you treat the game as a village simulator it does get a lot better. If a card is risky just have a random unnamed schlep do it. If you roll death it didn't take one of the good survivors. If he gets +1Str or something then pull out a character card and give him a name.

Eh, this is supposed to be about models, so sorry for the derail. I guess the fact that the Phoenix has a million tiny hands and NO INSTRUCTIONS sucks. Though it is easy to tell which hands go into its puckered anus, if that would be a plus?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 3, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
wish I had taken pictures of Marines that my buddy gave me. They were painted back when he was a teen and does it show.

By God does it show in that there were purity seals buried under paint and he had glued a bolter into auspex holding hand (I think).

Plus, even after two week in Isopropyl, I can only brushie-brushie off a leg at best. The weirdest thing is that a scrunt marine from the same batch shed paint almost as soon as I touched him.

Shed backpack and bolter, too. Those seem to be painted in Impervious Paint like the newer marines.

loving madness.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

painted in Impervious Paint like the newer marines.

loving madness.

Sounds like multiple coats of spray primer then. That poo poo is the hardest to get off.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Pierzak posted:

It's playable, approachable, casual, and moreish. You'll get to watch your people grow, you get to level up with characters and with equipment (which does feel great), and the fights seem like they'll get more interesting as they go - unfortunately they game has what I think will be by far the most boring fight as the absolute first thing. Seriously, after the first fight you'll have learned a bit about how to fight lions, gotten equipment, skills, more abilities, more 'survival' and the second lion fight should be way more fun.

Oh, and jesus I'd like some re-reroll options. I know it's a tone that the maker prefers, but boy do I dislike player death with so little ability to counter it as a player. IMO, never have a 'roll a d10, one a 1 you die'. I don't care what the other 9 options are, you shouldn't do that.

Is it truly blowaway amazing? No. But I think it's going to be pretty fun to play through with a group of friends, growing, getting better equipment, seeing what the game has to offer.

LordAba posted:

After the creepy art the mood/narrative is the worse part of game IMO.

Yeah, I disliked how much the game was basically going 'you want to revel in the misery of being awful people, right?'. No, I don't want to be a cannibal. No, I don't want to give into despair and think 'i'm also a monster'.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Wazzu posted:

I don't want to give into despair and think 'i'm also a monster'.

No one's asking you to play Monopoly

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

only one unspiration picture on this page, a shameful thread, get out nerds

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
he looks like a Tintin character

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I don't understand. If someone wanted to paint up a bunch of nazis, why would you paint orks to be nazis? Orks aren't known for their strict fascist regimes or uniform appearances, they're known for being rather chaotic.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
SOMEONE DOESNT KNOW HIS ORK LORE !

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I saw that first picture and thought it was awesome in a dumb way, then looked at the others and noticed very subtle and restrained Nazi theme and well gently caress.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't understand. If someone wanted to paint up a bunch of nazis, why would you paint orks to be nazis? Orks aren't known for their strict fascist regimes or uniform appearances, they're known for being rather chaotic.

Stormboys, man.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

spectralent posted:

Stormboys, man.

Goff clan in general, although the SS logos and swastikas are a bit much

I do like the legs-akimo marine 'Squad Broken' casualties though

vvv The Goff clan are militaristic in an organized (for orks)way, and wear a lot of black

Renfield fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 4, 2015

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

spectralent posted:

Stormboys, man.

Oh, I don't know what those are. Is there a faction of fascist orks then? I don't know 40k.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HJE-Cobra posted:

Oh, I don't know what those are. Is there a faction of fascist orks then? I don't know 40k.

The jetpack orkz rebel against ork society by organizing themselves, doing marches, etc etc. They also used to dress in SS style coats.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spectralent posted:

Stormboys, man.

These look more like rear end Goblins of Auschwitz.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HJE-Cobra posted:

Yep! Stormboys were british fascist hooligans, i.e. still violent thugs but like doing "shows of force" by marching and wearing "uniform". This was in contrast to the rest of the orks, who were based on football hooligans in general and were just violent lunatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Really Pants posted:

These look more like rear end Goblins of Auschwitz.

cool german death metal band name