Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

... so I just went to war against Qara to grab my last core from them, and I also got Trebizond as a vassal in the deal. Is having them as a vassal going to be a problem re: Ottomans? What if I annex them? Note: they only have the province of Trebizond, but it is in the Anatolia region.

If the Ottomans turn hostile and you see their relations say: Desires your provinces: Trebizond, they are very likely to declare war on you if you're weak. If you have absolutely no chance of standing up to an Ottoman declaration of war, end your vassalage of Trebizond. They'll be really pissed, but the Ottomans will leave you alone - if that is all they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Well right now I can't since there is a truce neutering my ability to break vassalage. We'll see what happens when the truce ends.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I tried a few times to get a Byzantium game going, I guess I just have to restart if Venice or the Ottomans declare on me before 1449?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Carver posted:

I tried a few times to get a Byzantium game going, I guess I just have to restart if Venice or the Ottomans declare on me before 1449?

Pretty much.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

The tooltips lie. They are nonsense. Ignore them and only pay attention to the actual effects on your trade income at the end of the month.

Johan still thinks only troglodytes can't make sense of the trade system when the tooltips lie :argh:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's no new DLC notice. I now have everything except the e-books.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Carver posted:

Yes. It will require multiple restarts. It can't be helped.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rakthar posted:

Can you provide some details as to what exactly is better about Expansion over Exploration? I mean you go over the gist of what you're saying, but I don't provide see the details of what makes Expansion better?

I also disagree with what you're saying. I feel exploration is way better for Russia. For instance, given that you don't get your Colonist NI till like 1600, how are you supposed to get vision on Siberia without a conquistador? Expansion has also half the settler bonus that Exploration does. You colonize 50% faster on top of that because of the extra colonist. It makes a difference.

Going into Asia now means fighting nightmare ming in the mountains, fyi, India is way easier. Which to me is another knock against Expansion's CB.

Assume you're playing Russia with no plans on jumping on the Americas. You are going to end up caring very little about your navy. You won't need conquistadors explorers or conquistadors, (even without your NI revealing provinces you border those get revealed on their own anyway after some time, it just might take a few months), you won't need the colonial range because you'll be colonising pretty much only land border provinces, you won't need extra tariffs because you won't be having Colonial nations, you won't be needing the extra naval forcelimits (you might end up needing a navy for the Ottomans or Sweden but then you're much better off going specifically for that, and if you aren't, a navy isn't strictly necessary in either case), and you won't be dealing with primitives so the finisher CB is useless too.

If you want to keep the option to make American CNs open then yeah, sure, go for exploration. But if you want to be dealing with Asia instead (the central Asian states, Persia, India, China) Expansion's bonuses are way more relevant.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Node posted:

Yes. It will require multiple restarts. It can't be helped.

Aw, bullshit. I can always do it in one.

Here's my pro-tier strategy:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Wouldn't listen to this guy, not a lot of gamer cred here :smuggo:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Might as well just edit the 1444 start save to have a single tag Three Mountains WC

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Restarting 14 times to get a perfect opening string of events does not make you a strategy master. :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I find the constant restarts and refining of strategy to get a difficult start to work one of the most enjoyable parts of the game, I usually only play those games until ~1500 because at that point it's just a normal game where you're huge.

Obviously gently caress achievements though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
As long as you're having fun, all strategies are valid. :shobon:

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Funny enough I already have the achievement I think. I never did finish a game out though so I think doing that for once would be fun.

Despite putting a million hours into EU2 and 3 and playing 4 quite a bit I'm still quite terrible at the game most of the time too, so it's never easy sailing for me even after growing a bit.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Restarting 14 times to get a perfect opening string of events does not make you a strategy master. :colbert:

Yeah but the parts of the game that are fun are before you are a blob monster.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Um just cutting through the HRE with Cleansing Heresy and truce breaks and destroying the entire thing in just a few years kicks rear end, actually.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You don't even need to truce break to really smash the HRE. All it takes is one good war where you completely obliterate the emperor. Then you just keep declaring wars on HRE members that weren't involved in previous wars and the Emperor will keep jumping in until eventually they're in so much debt and are crushed so hard that you can bully the rest of the HRE with impunity. People talk about glass cannon nations in this game but when the HRE falls apart if falls apart hard.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I may have a small problem here.

Probably manageable but still not ideal. Bye-bye manpower. This is in addition to the 12 rebel armies that spawned in a period of 3 months time.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Byzantium's survival should be hugely dependent on circumstances going exactly their way.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

double nine posted:

Probably manageable but still not ideal. Bye-bye manpower. This is in addition to the 12 rebel armies that spawned in a period of 3 months time.

Impressive. Too much overextension?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So any thoughts on where/when/how many forts to build in a larger empire? I'm still something of a newbie at EU4 and I haven't played much at all since Art of War, but I would like to try an Ottoman expansionist game where I try to convert most of Europe to Islam. However, with the new Common Sense for mechanics I'd likely be scratching my head as to how many forts it's appropriate to build, and where. I'm a bit worried I'd either bankrupt myself with excessive fort maintenance, or leave my sprawling empire ripe to rapid conquest by not building enough. Is there a general consensus on fort placement and frequency?

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 3, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

So any thoughts on where/when/how many forts to build in a larger empire? I'm still something of a newbie at EU4 and I haven't played much at all since Art of War, but I would like to try an Ottoman expansionist game where I try to convert most of Europe to Islam. However, with the new Common Sense for mechanics I'd likely be scratching my head as to how many forts it's appropriate to build, and where. I'm a bit worried I'd either bankrupt myself with excessive fort maintenance, or leave my sprawling empire ripe to rapid conquest by building enough. Is there a general consensus on fort placement and frequency?

Basically you only need forts in places where you think you might get invaded by a serious enemy, or at strategic bottlenecks to keep armies out. Think tactically as to how you you'll be invaded and place forts in between those invasion routes and your high base-tax greek/anatolian provinces.

Forts give warscore when captured, so it is always better to have just enough rather than too much. But as long as you can afford to keep all your forts at the highest level its fine.

Also remember to turn off forts the same way you lower military maintenance to save money when you dont need them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah you really only need forts along the land borders where you'd be invaded, and important strategic choke-points. Space them out so you get the minimal number of forts to extend zone of control along your border, stopping enemy armies from moving deeper into your territory.

I often delete forts as I expand because they're in the middle of my nation and not useful anymore. If you can afford it, it's nice to have a little bit of strategic depth and maybe a second "line" of forts where it would be helpful. Mothball the less-critical forts, if you get war dec'd you need your first line at full maintenance.

Having a fort on a strait can be really useful, you can use them to trap and destroy enemy armies in combination with a navy to stop them from retreating back across the strait, then beat their army and since it's unable to retreat you can wipe it.

Coastline I generally don't heavily fortify unless you're anticipating an enemy with a stronger navy trying landings. But the AI is not great at serious amphibious invasions, so if you're someone like England you can really skimp on forts.

Edit: the AI will land armies but usually piecemeal, they're easy to pick off.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 3, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Carver posted:

Do the Venice -> byz guide in my post history

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
As a larger empire you get so much money that it doesn't really matter, just saturate your frontiers with them. They only give warscore relative to other forts so if you have a ton that's a non-issue, and it gives you a ridiculous amount of strategic flexibility in the defense that you can fight all sorts of wars you wouldn't be able to without them 'cause of their attrition.

And once you're not worrying about money I think it's not worth mothballing them either. The AI loves to assault so the full garrisons are usually pretty valuable. Just delete them where you don't think you need them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Average Bear posted:

Do the Venice -> byz guide in my post history

You have to start as Byz for the Basileus achievement but if that's not what Carver is going for yeah, do a custom nation or form Byz as someone else.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Munin posted:

Impressive. Too much overextension?

60% overextension + a bunch of heathen religion provinces + war exhaustion + decreasing autonomy in a few provinces I shouldn't have + revolt risk from an event + a regency for a medium claim heir.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Remember that if your facing rebel problems that inner forts will be very helpful, There where some changed awhile back that the rebels have to capture the fort to be able to further there causes, It will be very helpful if you are very vast and rich nation as you might find national rebals will be able to force their terms long before your armies can get there and stomp them out

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fintilgin posted:

Hahaha. Did you make that image yourself? Props if so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There's no new DLC notice. I now have everything except the e-books.

:eyepop:

double nine posted:

Looks like someone just found out about the joys of over-extension.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Castile pro-strat:

-Restart until France is friendly towards you

Is this even possible? I just restarted like 20 times and they were rivaled every time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

If you haven't experienced the joys of wasting a decade throwing one merc stack after another at a 500k rebel blob until it eventually gets small enough for you to kill then you've never truly blobbed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Node posted:

Hahaha. Did you make that image yourself? Props if so.

I was just going to type it out :effort: style, but I thought I'd go the extra mile.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Is this even possible? I just restarted like 20 times and they were rivaled every time.

Should be I'll check it in a bit.

Edit: I got it third try. If you're playing Ironman local saves remember you can make a copy of the save file so just try a few more times and make a duplicate file as a backup to spare you restarting a bunch more if something fucks up early on.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 3, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Should be I'll check it in a bit.

Edit: I got it third try. If you're playing Ironman local saves remember you can make a copy of the save file so just try a few more times and make a duplicate file as a backup to spare you restarting a bunch more if something fucks up early on.

Took a lot of tries but I just got it. Don't play ironman, but thanks for the tip.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
playing as Poland and getting owned. I annexed all my vassals and then Bohemia is kicking my rear end. How do I stack armies all together? I really want to take over the entirety of Europe, but I need to figure out how to push my numbers up. what is a good starter tutorial on how to get those points up? Are national ideas kind of a requirement, in this case combining with Lithuania?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jastiger posted:

playing as Poland and getting owned. I annexed all my vassals and then Bohemia is kicking my rear end. How do I stack armies all together? I really want to take over the entirety of Europe, but I need to figure out how to push my numbers up. what is a good starter tutorial on how to get those points up? Are national ideas kind of a requirement, in this case combining with Lithuania?

There is a little button with two arrows pointing towards each other when you have stacks of armies selected. Click it to make them one big army watch out for supply limits so you don't lose that army from attrition

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

During my first or second time playing the game, I got the same result as the Ottomans. I had conquered the Balkans, Anatolia, Levant, and some of QQ. Then I noticed "Hm, these provinces have a lot of penalties from this "Local Autonomy."" So I lowered it. In about fifty provinces. At the same time.

Yeah, I restarted that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Do you mean how do you get your allies to stack up with you? When you select an army there's a checkbox in the upper right "Attach to this unit" which will ask your allies to kindly team up with that army.

Taking over the entirety of Europe is a pretty ambitious goal for a new player. For points you just want to be really stingy, don't spend them unless you have to. Make sure you've hired at least the +1 advisers.

Not sure what you mean about national ideas. They're important but not something you need to rush.

You mean the decision to combine with Lithuania you can take at the start? That's incredibly important and your absolute number one priority. They'll become your less partner in a Personal Union which means as long as you don't ruin relations with them they will be your bestest little bro forever. And they're really strong, stronger than you at the start.

• Locked thread