Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
When I moved to LA from NY, I drove here in 6 days, and 1 of those days was spend bullshitting with friends in Boulder, CO, so you can get pretty far. Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Driving a motorhome is a lot slower than driving a car, especially if you go over mountain ranges like the sierra or the rockies. But even so, three weeks is enough for a pretty solidly cool tour of a big chunk of the US.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I personally drove from San Diego to Seattle, taking coastal roads whenever possible, avoiding the freeway whenever possible, and stopping to do anything that looked interesting, in 13 days. I would recommend that coastal drive to any human. It's stunning.

I will say this, though, since you've said you'll be pulling a trailer: There are pull-outs on Highway 1 for a reason. Please use them whenever there is a car behind you. The reason is so they do not want to kill you. If you're not going to do that, I take back everything i said about highway 1 and suggest you stick to the interstates. See ALL the Applebee's!

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
It's not going to happen until Jan '16 so we got plenty of planning ahead. I want to see Times Square and my mate wants to drive route 66. Apparently there's a lot of shoe shops on route 66 :downsrim:

But seriously, thanks for the feedback guys gonna be lots of fun!!

Coleridge49 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 3, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you want to drive across the country in January you should probably take a southerly route. Driving mountain passes in the snow in a camper alongside the truckers could be pretty harrowing, and a lot of the tourist stuff will be closed in the offseason.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
Thanks for the tip.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I drove from Philly to LA over 12 days. I stayed in Pittsburgh, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, Carlsbad, Tucson, Sedona, and Las Vegas. Most of those drives were 6 hours or less, a few were more. You can see a lot in 3 weeks.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Leperflesh posted:

Driving a motorhome is a lot slower than driving a car, especially if you go over mountain ranges like the sierra or the rockies. But even so, three weeks is enough for a pretty solidly cool tour of a big chunk of the US.

I drove a Uhaul truck towing a sedan haha

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this - the SF thread seems dead. I'm going to be in the SF Bay area for a month from this Saturday. I'm attending a conference for the first few days downtown SF, then will be working in Palo Alto while living in Belmont. I'd like some suggestions on the food scene in particular. Smuggler's Cove, House of Prime Rib and Swan Oyster Depot are looking good to me. Cocktail bars and good "local" places are what appeal to me. Money is no concern, but I don't want to blow $500 at 3star restaurants when I can get better and cheaper food elsewhere.

I'd normally do this research myself but this trip came up suddenly today and I'm not really prepared!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

For a unique cocktail experience there's always Bourbon & Branch. The full bar is reservation-only, but you can order plenty of drinks in their "library" without a reservation (although you have to get the day's password from their website).

For renowned food experiences, in the East Bay we got Commis (prix fixe) and Chez Pannise (since you're only here for a month, so just call to check for cancellations).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In San Carlos, the next town south from Belmont, I recommend El Charrito taquería on Holly Street (hole in the wall, v. good), Rangoon Ruby on Laurel (excellent Burmese food), and, if you can get in, Refuge on Laurel, which has home-made pastrami, excellent burgers, and lots of different beers. Refuge has lines all through lunch and all evening.

http://refugesc.com/menu/
http://www.rangoonruby.com/

In San Mateo, the next town north from Belmont, there's the Counter, which does customized burgers (have the bison, it's excellent). There's also the much-loved hole-in-the-wall ramen place, "Ramen Dojo"; the latter again has lines out the door and is worth it.

http://www.thecounterburger.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ramen-dojo-san-mateo?osq=noodles

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Swan oyster Depot is the place I bring friends when they visit. Wear comfortable shoes, there will be a wait. Worth it though.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In San Carlos, the next town south from Belmont, I recommend El Charrito taquería on Holly Street (hole in the wall, v. good), Rangoon Ruby on Laurel (excellent Burmese food), and, if you can get in, Refuge on Laurel, which has home-made pastrami, excellent burgers, and lots of different beers. Refuge has lines all through lunch and all evening.

http://refugesc.com/menu/
http://www.rangoonruby.com/

Seconding the Refuge recommendation. It may be too pricey to go too often, but you have to try it. Also, two doors down is the Ale Arsenal, a pretty great beer bar. Always playing metal, constantly changing taplist, and lots of events.

http://www.alearsenal.com/

The Office is an alright bar with a good beer selection as well. Be sure to stop by Saffron in San Carlos for one of the best Indian lunch buffets around. If you like dives, there's the Orchid Room (someone I used to work with swore up and down that they'd once met Tim Lincecum there...doubt that happened) and McGraw's (which is in Belmont).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Doc Hawkins posted:

For a unique cocktail experience there's always Bourbon & Branch. The full bar is reservation-only, but you can order plenty of drinks in their "library" without a reservation (although you have to get the day's password from their website).

I literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough to properly convey my thoughts on this kind of poo poo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Taima posted:

I literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough to properly convey my thoughts on this kind of poo poo.

They're simulating a Prohibition-era speakeasy. It actually looks like fun.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bourbon and Branch was really cool and really forward-thinking in developing a new bar aesthetic back in 2007 when they opened. By now though the speakeasy experience feels super contrived and it is very much not my bag. I haven't been to Bourbon and Branch in a few years so I don't know how their cocktails are tasting these days, but if you're from an area without much of a cocktail scene it can be very nice to order from a bartender who really understands the craft of drinksmaking. If you have a couple of solid cocktail bars in your own hood though I don't know if Bourbon and Branch will be much of a revelation.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also, like everything, it's become a lot less pleasant to go to nice bars in the City since they've become infested with socially awkward but upwardly-mobile tech workers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Really? I hadn't noticed.

...Oh. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Why does California have no motor vehicle inspections except for smog? I think it's crazy that as long as I'm not polluting, I can drive around on bald tires, nonexistent brake rotors, and other deathtrap stuff. I think the occasional government-mandated "should this car actually be on the road" check is a good thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why does California have no motor vehicle inspections except for smog? I think it's crazy that as long as I'm not polluting, I can drive around on bald tires, nonexistent brake rotors, and other deathtrap stuff. I think the occasional government-mandated "should this car actually be on the road" check is a good thing.

I think the lack of any severe weather like snow or rain means we don't much as much importance on it as some other states.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't forget loose junk piled up 12' above the truck bed with the suspension completely bottomed out.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Don't forget loose junk piled up 12' above the truck bed with the suspension completely bottomed out.

People with unsecured loads are dangerous idiot assholes. There's a goon whose fiance was beheaded by junk flying off the back of a truck on the freeway...use a tarp/ropes/bungee cords you lazy motherfuckers :argh:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Rah! posted:

People with unsecured loads are dangerous idiot assholes. There's a goon whose fiance was beheaded by junk flying off the back of a truck on the freeway...use a tarp/ropes/bungee cords you lazy motherfuckers :argh:

Ever since I read about that happening in the time traveler's wife, i've been scared of it. That's terrible that their fiance died that way, i can't imagine.

also I once saw a large wooden dresser (a tallboy) fall off the back of a truck going about 80 on the interstate, and the dresser kept going behind it for a good 10 seconds, right alongside me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are actual laws about unsecured loads, though. Not that they're enforced worth a drat.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I dunno about brakes, but check engine indicators will make you fail smog, so there's at least that...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
In case anyone in SoCal didnt know about this...

http://mashable.com/2015/12/24/methane-gas-leak-california-aliso/#2mZSCvvR.653

quote:

A massive natural gas leak in Aliso Canyon, California, about 25 miles north of Los Angeles, has been spewing about 62 million standard cubic feet of methane per day into the air since a well casing mysteriously suffered damage on Oct. 23 of this year.

The leak is unlikely to be squelched for another three to four months, according to SoCalGas, as crews have to drill about 8,500 underground to intersect with the base of the leaking pipe.

Already, more than 1,000 people in Porter Ranch and Northridge, California have temporarily relocated due to health complaints related to the fumes from the leak. In addition, the Los Angeles Unified School District's Board of Education decided on Dec. 17 to temporarily relocate two schools for the rest of the 2015-16 school year.

Equivalent to "8 or 9 coal plants"

The climate implications of this particular leak are significant, especially since the leak is in California, which has some of the most stringent greenhouse gas emissions reduction plans in the world.

The main component of natural gas is methane, which can have up to 80 times the warming power of carbon dioxide for the first 20 years after it is released, before it begins to be removed from the atmosphere through natural processes.

For scale: "The leak has increased the state's greenhouse gas emissions from methane by 25%"

Also same old energy/mining companies:

quote:

Companies are being pushed to contain leaks in their natural gas pipelines and at facilities that burn natural gas, but underground storage areas, of which there are more than 300 nationwide, aren't subjected to specific standards that might have prevented this leak.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

In case anyone in SoCal didnt know about this...

http://mashable.com/2015/12/24/methane-gas-leak-california-aliso/#2mZSCvvR.653

For scale: "The leak has increased the state's greenhouse gas emissions from methane by 25%"

Also same old energy/mining companies:

How far does this leak reach? I'm pretty close by in Santa Clarita.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Speedboat Jones posted:

How far does this leak reach? I'm pretty close by in Santa Clarita.
I havent seen any pretty maps that are definite. Yay for invisible gas mining.

http://www.porterranchlawsuit.com/porter-ranch-gas-leak-map/

quote:

Porter Ranch Gas Leak Map

This map depicts the locations of high levels of methane gas from the SoCalGas well in Aliso Canyon. As the gas escapes the well into the atmosphere, it flows downhill on the path of least resistance. The directionality of the flow is also affected by wind patterns and air pressure

http://la.curbed.com/tags/the-public-health

http://www.wdsu.com/national/porter-ranch-gas-leak-state-of-emergency-in-ca/37310132

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-socal-gas-lawsuit-porter-ranch-gas-leak-20160126-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-porter-ranch-greenhouse-20160124-story.html

quote:

1-24-16

If there is any good news, it is that they show the leak rate has been declining since its peak on Nov. 28, when the well released 58,000 kilograms of methane per hour. By Thursday the rate had dropped by two-thirds to 18,400 kilograms per hour.

As a result, she said, the reservoir has gone from being 90% full before the leak to at most 37% full on Jan. 10.

The utility does not have an estimate of the amount of gas released :rolleyes: and says it cannot complete one until after the leak has stopped.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Similar to the dude on the last page, I'm doing a road trip. Actually to answer that guy, I'm leaving from Philly and going to LA to the Bay Area and back in four weeks in March, you can go really far in that length of time.

Anyway, I'll be trying to go along California Route 1 the way up to the Bay. I really don't know the state all that well, though I have come up with a decent itinerary. Pinnacles national park seems neat, but beyond that I don't have a clue. Ideally stuff not too touristy, but whatever to be honest.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My guess is you'll probably treat Ventura County as a rest stop instead of its own destination since it's right next door to Los Angeles. But we have some good museums here, a few old timey towns, shopping, a California Visitors Center, the Reagan Library. Heads up, they don't let you get close enough to dance a jig on his grave anymore.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

My guess is you'll probably treat Ventura County as a rest stop instead of its own destination since it's right next door to Los Angeles. But we have some good museums here, a few old timey towns, shopping, a California Visitors Center, the Reagan Library. Heads up, they don't let you get close enough to dance a jig on his grave anymore.
If you stop in Ventura County and end up in Simi youre doing it as wrong as possible. No one needs to see a wasteland with a reagan memorial.

Check out Ojai for weird yuppie-hippie forest town or Ventura for beachside pier and food. The 1 drops you in Oxnard so you can also go hit Silver Strand for the extreme beachy-time beach zone.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TheModernAmerican posted:

Similar to the dude on the last page, I'm doing a road trip. Actually to answer that guy, I'm leaving from Philly and going to LA to the Bay Area and back in four weeks in March, you can go really far in that length of time.

Anyway, I'll be trying to go along California Route 1 the way up to the Bay. I really don't know the state all that well, though I have come up with a decent itinerary. Pinnacles national park seems neat, but beyond that I don't have a clue. Ideally stuff not too touristy, but whatever to be honest.

Remember that much of the Pinnacles NP is not accessible from the ocean side by car. You'll either need to hike across or drive around as there is no road through the middle.

Also, if you can figure out how to add Yosemite (it is way off that route), do it if you haven't before.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

I am trying to spend a night in the Channel Islands so I should be in Oxnard for a night. That might be cool. Ventura sounds cool! Oh and if any of you know of any good gardens, I'd love to go. I'm going to the Huntington in LA, I figure there's more than that though.

I was going for Sequoia and Yosemite, but I'd rather not deal with snow. I'm guessing there'll be a lot this year so I'll do east California next time,and I'm doing this in a sedan. I'm not risking it. I'm planning to see every national park at some point, so I'll be back.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pinnacles is on 101, not 1 so you'd have to backtrack a little bit. Hit monterey, then to salinas and back down 101 a bit.

You should take your time on 1. It's worth it. You should also try to drive it during the day because it'd be a shame to not see the view. Stop at Hearst castle. That'll fill an afternoon. Stop in big sur. Stop in carmel/monterey.

Yosemite is absolutely worth your time. You should go there if at all possible.

Since you bring up pinnacles, another incredible drive is hwy 25 south from hollister. Especially right now when everything is green and the mustard flowers are blooming. You can drive from Pinnacles south til it T's, then go left to Coalinga and the central valley. From there you could head up to yosemite before you go to the Bay aream

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing about Oxnard is we have wealthy people slumming it at our beaches, but because we have a lot of brown people living in the city we're somehow dangerous. If we were that dangerous people wouldn't be parking their Porsches outside of Yolandas, McDonald's, and Vons.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

The funny thing about Oxnard is we have wealthy people slumming it at our beaches, but because we have a lot of brown people living in the city we're somehow dangerous. If we were that dangerous people wouldn't be parking their Porsches outside of Yolandas, McDonald's, and Vons.

Is it true that your town was named after a castrated bull?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Oh and if any of you know of any good gardens, I'd love to go. I'm going to the Huntington in LA, I figure there's more than that though.
Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens. Its all CA native plants and they magicians that tend the place have managed to have a redwood zone next to an island zone and a desert zone.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is it true that your town was named after a castrated bull?
Nope. Drug dealers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_T._Oxnard

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm gonna have to have to skip some of them, and I'm thinking of doing Pinnacle from the west side and looping through it. Eventually I'm going to every national park in America, so I'll be back to California in late spring or early fall, at some point in my life.

Santa Barbra Botanical looks really rad. I work at a display garden so getting to see that natural look is a good change of pace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yosemite is amazing in the winter, and it's the only time of the year you can go and not feel like you're at Disneyland due to the crowds. If it's actively snowing then you'd need chains and maybe wouldn't want to do the drive, but if you possibly can, leave your schedule a bit flexible and check the weather and if it's not actually snowing, take a day or two to go up there. You must carry chains while driving on those roads but they're kept clear when it's not actively snowing so merely carrying them will be enough.

Failing that, spring is better than fall because the waterfalls will be running heavy with the spring melt, vs. fall when they're not as spectacular. Typically 120 through Yosemite isn't guaranteed to be open until June, but sometimes is open as early as mid-May. If you want to see the high part of Yosemite by car then you need to go while 120 is open. The valley is the really indispensable place to visit but do try to see the high sierra at some point as well.

Don't plan on being able to stay within the park unless you reserved your camping spot or your tent cabin in Curry Village like 9 months in advance, but do call just in case because there are always cancellations. My wife and I managed to get a tent cabin in January a few years ago with only two weeks advance, because we were flexible with our dates and willing to visit mid-week.

• Locked thread