Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Tried to remove a lower control arm bolt. After removing the nut, it remained stuck so hard that I lifted the car off the axle stands instead of budging the bolt. Help!

I did this a while back and nearly knocked the car off the stands. It was a bit rear end in a top hat puckering! Have you tried a dose of PB Blaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Rhyno posted:

I did this a while back and nearly knocked the car off the stands. It was a bit rear end in a top hat puckering! Have you tried a dose of PB Blaster?

It's soaking overnight now. I ordered a complete subframe with control arms attached in case I can't get it to budge.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tried to remove a lower control arm bolt. After removing the nut, it remained stuck so hard that I lifted the car off the axle stands instead of budging the bolt. Help!

Smoke wrench.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Got the car up on stands, removed the suspension struts and dropped the subframe. The whole thing is made worse by the hydraulic lines which go to/through the subframe. There are steel control cables which tie the rear steering rack to the front steering rack and are a nightmare to correctly adjust if removed, so the rear-steering rack had to stay somewhat attached to the car. I also had to drain the power steering fluid and part of the suspension system. But hey, 5 hours later and I have a subframe sitting on my driveway.

The replacement subframe also arrived, and I had time to strip it down.

I now have two subframes sitting on my driveway, and a mystery unexpected Supra differential.

Larrymer posted:

Smoke wrench.

I'm hoping not to have to go down this route - the inner sleeve of the bushing is not really accessible, and while I'll be changing the bushings, I'd rather not make it more of a potential headache by removing more of the supporting rubber.

I may end up grinding the bolt off - I need to make sure it's not NLA from Toyota though.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 28, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I trust Napa a hell of a lot more than AutoZone, more because they're much easier to deal with (and locally owned by a couple of crusty old fucks who know their poo poo, instead of some big company), but it meant a 30 minute drive each way instead of 10. It also meant a taco run, since a good taco place is next door to that particular Napa.

The chick behind the counter at the zone here tried arguing with me over a battery warranty until I pointed out that we have the same model tester at O'Reillys and it just tested as bad. She decided it wasn't worth fighting with me over it in front of customers. The number of people we get who walk out and come to us due to that store's lovely customer service is incredible.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

I trust Napa a hell of a lot more than AutoZone, more because they're much easier to deal with

Turns out Napa sold me an East Penn (Deka) battery. Which is what I've been trying to track down forfuckingever, I can never get ahold of the local distributor.

Supposed to be one of the best manufactures of car batteries, and the only maker that's pretty much guaranteed to be made in the US (they have a single factory in PA).

Elmnt80 posted:

The chick behind the counter at the zone here tried arguing with me over a battery warranty until I pointed out that we have the same model tester at O'Reillys and it just tested as bad. She decided it wasn't worth fighting with me over it in front of customers. The number of people we get who walk out and come to us due to that store's lovely customer service is incredible.

The last time I tried to warranty something at AutoZone, it was a serpentine belt. It lasted less than 72 hours before shredding - and the car was only driven about 20 miles in that time.

They kept trying to say something was wrong with the car and that they wouldn't replace it. Uh, it had the original belt when I got it (built in 1998, bought it in 2010), I replaced it when I changed the water pump. Snapped a few days later. I invited them to go take a look at the pulleys and find what was wrong, since the car was parked outside (it had a single rib of the belt left on it, so it was... technically.. driveable). Put the new belt on in the parking lot, didn't have another belt issue on that car.

I've also had one of their managers try to hard sell me on bulb grease, going far enough to pull out a box full of burned out light bulbs (including HIDs) and picking them out and saying each of these burned out from "overheating because they didn't use bulb grease". If your loving dielectric grease is so important, why didn't the factory use it, and how the hell have I bought cars that had original 10+ year old headlight bulbs in them that still worked fine? And when I say no 3 times in a row, don't act offended when I say "how many loving times do I have to say no?!" and walked out of the store without the headlight bulbs I was intending to buy. I raised hell with their district manager over it. Same guy still works there, and last time I was in there he went off on me for using a debit card to put down a deposit on a tool rental.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Maybe poo poo service is universal to auto parts stores, but there's probably a good reason that lots of people slander AutoZone with poo poo like "vatozone". I know that I don't go to them unless Oreilly's is sold out of whatever I need.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I only go to AutoZone for stuff like chemicals and stuff that you can get at any auto parts store, or non-private label brands (no DuraLast crap). Napa is my preference, but they close early; O'Reilly's is my fallback.

I'm guaranteed to get someone that's generally crusty and short-tempered at Napa, but they're not going to try to upsell me on anything, and they actually know the difference between their cock and a spark plug. I can walk in there and just rattle off a part number, and they get up and go get it, instead of doing the "what car is it for, let me look up the part number, uh the computer says that part doesn't fit your car" song and dance. I drive a GM, half the parts on it aren't even supposed to be on a car with this build date damnit (my battery, for example, is supposed to be a group 75 if the car was built before 1/06, group 78 otherwise - built in 6/05, has a group 78 from the factory - some other parts have to be from a 2005, some factory installed parts are from a 2.4 instead of the 2.2... :psypop: - mine's an early 2006 with a 2.2).

For oil change supplies though, I just go to Wal-Mart. They carry the oil I like, and they carry oil filters for every car in the house. Plus they wind up being much cheaper than even the combo deals at AutoZone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I buy all of my parts online if I need, but for regular things like oil and filters (though with the bus the filter part is changing), I just go to the local Oreilly's :shrug:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Finally ordered the valve spring compressor tool offa electronicBay. Valve seals here I come (you little bastards).

Geirskogul posted:

I buy all of my parts online if I need, but for regular things like oil and filters (though with the bus the filter part is changing), I just go to the local Oreilly's :shrug:
There's an O'Reilly less than a mile from my house, so unless I'm planning a project and have time to order stuff, they're the go-to.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Around here, I prefer AutoZone over O'Reilly's. AZ tends to have better product selection, 20-50 oil in the big jugs, and their reward system is way better than O"Reilly's. O'Reilly's sends you lovely e-mails with $5 coupons, while AutoZone tracks and issues the rewards at the register.

My peeve at both places comes when I need parts from behind the counter (e.g., plugs, etc.). Both stores insist on trying to look things up by make/model, even when I open with "I need xyz part number"? Neither car is in their system (40 and 50 year-old imports).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tamir Lenk posted:

Around here, I prefer AutoZone over O'Reilly's. AZ tends to have better product selection, 20-50 oil in the big jugs, and their reward system is way better than O"Reilly's. O'Reilly's sends you lovely e-mails with $5 coupons, while AutoZone tracks and issues the rewards at the register.

My peeve at both places comes when I need parts from behind the counter (e.g., plugs, etc.). Both stores insist on trying to look things up by make/model, even when I open with "I need xyz part number"? Neither car is in their system (40 and 50 year-old imports).
If that's the only complaint about OR's rewards system, it's solved with email-on-smartphone (they can scan it right off the screen).

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

scuz posted:

If that's the only complaint about OR's rewards system, it's solved with email-on-smartphone (they can scan it right off the screen).

True, but then I have to remember to do that, and they only allow one $5 coupon at a time, each to be used within 90 days. AutoZone issues them in $20 blocks, reminds me at the register, and applies them right there.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tamir Lenk posted:

At AutoZone, you can end-run around that by putting the parts on hold from the website.

Technically you can at O'Reilly too, but they require you to prepay online, and I've never had that not get hosed up.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tamir Lenk posted:

True, but then I have to remember to do that, and they only allow one $5 coupon at a time, each to be used within 90 days. AutoZone issues them in $20 blocks, reminds me at the register, and applies them right there.
Well poo poo, that sucks. I'm gonna try that out this evening when I go in with two $5 coupons to purchase a replacement 3/4" ratchet. My old one didn't take kindly to the rubber mallet, but it was a stocking stuffer from ~6 years ago.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Drove around town today running some errands, ended up at the grocery store today, bought groceries, walked home, thought 'where the gently caress is the car?'. Then walked back to the grocery store to collect the car that I'd left in the parking lot.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Advance Auto always has awesome discount codes on Retailmenot, plus they have a decent rewards program ($5 every time you spend $40, and $20 every time you spend $100). I order online (with discount codes that bring prices close to Amazon levels), then pickup 20 minutes later in the store.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If we had Advance Auto here, I'd probably do that. Since we don't, even the really good deals get killed by shipping.

I've taken to ordering drat near everything, even regular oil / air filters, from Amazon and Rockauto when I can and just keep what I need for the next couple changes in the garage. Grab a 5-quart bottle of Pennzoil from Walmart whenever I'm there and I'm good.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tamir Lenk posted:

They have to have a unified way of looking up stuff across multiple stores and varying levels of skill in their employee ranks. Workflows have to cater to the lowest common denominator; a clueless customer buying parts from a register monkey that started 2 weeks ago. You kinda just have to get over the fact that your car is an edge case that doesn't fit into their workflow. Mine is the same way. SRT-4's are listed in AZ/OR's parts system but there's a 95% chance the part cross references with a standard Neon and wont work so yeah I have to have the conversation of "yeah i know the part number i want isn't listed on your screen. trust me I know what I want" a lot.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tamir Lenk posted:

Generally the dudes at my Oreillys are relieved when I hand them a post-it note with the part number on it. I'm pretty sure they're tired of asking people "Is that the 2.0 or 2.4 litre" and getting "uhhhhhhhhhh" in reply. I'm generally there at least once a week though for either work or personal vehicles, so they know me really well by now and I always check the website to see if the part is stocked first :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

Well poo poo, that sucks. I'm gonna try that out this evening when I go in with two $5 coupons to purchase a replacement 3/4" ratchet. My old one didn't take kindly to the rubber mallet, but it was a stocking stuffer from ~6 years ago.
Tested this today. O'Reilly doesn't allow two $5 O'Rewards coupons on the same transaction, but the guy was nice enough to bust my purchase into two transactions, so I got to use both. It's swell timing cuz my transmission mount and replacement bolts have just arrived at the house so I get to un-gently caress that situation.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Generally the dudes at my Oreillys are relieved when I hand them a post-it note with the part number on it. I'm pretty sure they're tired of asking people "Is that the 2.0 or 2.4 litre" and getting "uhhhhhhhhhh" in reply. I'm generally there at least once a week though for either work or personal vehicles, so they know me really well by now and I always check the website to see if the part is stocked first :v:
Being able to provide them with the engine code for my Golf (there are three different ones that have the same displacement that year) has endeared me to the counter jockeys somewhat.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They have to have a unified way of looking up stuff across multiple stores and varying levels of skill in their employee ranks. Workflows have to cater to the lowest common denominator; a clueless customer buying parts from a register monkey that started 2 weeks ago. You kinda just have to get over the fact that your car is an edge case that doesn't fit into their workflow. Mine is the same way. SRT-4's are listed in AZ/OR's parts system but there's a 95% chance the part cross references with a standard Neon and wont work so yeah I have to have the conversation of "yeah i know the part number i want isn't listed on your screen. trust me I know what I want" a lot.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I don't hate the system, and fully understand the needs you describe.

It only irks me when I have an exchange like this:

:frog: - "Hi, I also need some spark plugs - NGK BP6ES"

:human being: - "What kind of car"

:frog: - "It's not in your system, but the plug is NGK BP6ES. I need four."

:human being: - "What make/model?"

:frogc00l: - "1962 Mini Cooper S"

:human being: - "Oh . . . . Lemme look up the plug . . . N ... G ... K, what was the rest of that number?"

Not always my experience, but I have literally had that exchange more than once. :negative:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, I had that on the radiator hose for my WJ, since the Dayco one they all stock seems to be a bit short. Found a slightly longer universal, gave them the part number, they still insisted on asking if it's upper or lower :downs:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, I had that on the radiator hose for my WJ, since the Dayco one they all stock seems to be a bit short. Found a slightly longer universal, gave them the part number, they still insisted on asking if it's upper or lower :downs:

One of the dudes at the Ace around the corner does this with fasteners. E.g.,

:unsmith: "I need a bolt x size, y-thread OR nuts/washers to match this bolt [in my loving hand].

:pram: "What are you working on?"

:unsmith: "Something, something car."

:pram: "Oh, what kind?"

:unsmith: "'62 Mini Cooper S"

:pram: "Are you sure it's not Whitworth?"

:smithicide:

This dumbass does this and gets to 'Whitworth" almost EVERY loving TIME. I literally wander through that Ace 5 times a week, and it's a small store (like 3 people working), and he never fails to bring up Whitworth because he worked on some old Triumph 40 years ago or some poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Cut more rust out and welded in new metal on the jjjjjaaagggg today.

Sorry no photos. Also the range rover classic is coming home tomorrow! So expect more leaks and more electrical fires.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
New seat!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Just bought a set of tires that cost $200 more that what I bought the car for :toot:

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Bought this today! Thread upcoming

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Senior Funkenstien posted:

:f5: :f5: :f5:

Content:

Put my rear subframe back in today after touching up the paint. After wirewheeling the rust off, I found that I had accidentally ordered white chassis paint. put white paint on instead of black and I regret it already (sorry car). Imgur is not letting me upload for some reason, so I cant show you how awful it looks.

Edit:never mind, here's the horror:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's going to look even more awful 50 miles down the road, but still better than rust.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

this is beautiful.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

That's going to look even more awful 50 miles down the road, but still better than rust.

It's a really good rustproofing chassis paint! At least I didn't order it in yellow..... I checked my other car and you can't see the subframe at all unless you literally stick your head under the car so gently caress it.

Now where's that drat thread, Funkenstein!!!!

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

It's a really good rustproofing chassis paint! At least I didn't order it in yellow..... I checked my other car and you can't see the subframe at all unless you literally stick your head under the car so gently caress it.

Now where's that drat thread, Funkenstein!!!!

Its coming just keep your pants on. It's been a wet nightmare for the last week around here so I'm waiting for some dryer days to shoot pics and such.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got tired of driving around in a rolling garbage dumpster.

Went from this

To this

And finally to this

Sometimes it's easier to just yank the seats out when you're cleaning.

There's still a few work-related things sitting on the floor (clipboard, pens, hat), and a pair of headphones, but it's a fuckload cleaner now. Now if only I knew where my passenger side front floormat was, I'd be happy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Paid someone $140 to install a remote starter in my explorer. From what I read it was a lot of color coded wires connecting to other color coded wires but I still didn't wanna mess with it. Beats paying $200 for a shop to do it.

Bonus glow in the dark key fob. Thanks ebay.

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 5, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Replaced my mass air flow housing. Previous owner cracked it somehow and slathered some gasket sealer on there. It cracked again so I put a little bit on there until I got a new one. Installed that yesterday. Its nice to drive a car that doesn't feel like it has a vacuum leak.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yesterday I dumped the water in the Jeep and gave it coolant. Pulled off the grille looking for a nonexistent petcock.
Today I put the grille back on. and started burping the system.

Today I also tried working out if the Niva's water pump actually works, tried burping air out of the system and topped up the oil. I also beat one of the rear arches with the sledgehammer because I did the other side ages ago. It should stop the tyre from catching the arch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
303'd the interior, 303'd the trim (it was beyond thirsty, still have to go back and touch it up tomorrow since some of it's already soaked in) and did an oil change.

Debating painting my winter wheels before the snow hits but I really don't want to have to remove the external weights, so I might just live with it for another season and paint the wheels next summer since the tires will probably be cooked by about then.

Probably just spend tomorrow knocking down the to-do list, see if I can get power steering bushings in.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 11, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Swapped a starter in my Accord, bled the clutch hydraulics and adjusted them in my Civic Si. Also changed MTF to redline, and replaced the not working oem headunit with another oem one and it works!

Starter job on an accord is a dumb son of a bitch job...took almost 4 hours as it is under the intake manifold and the lowest bolt was really hard to get out. Got it done though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing like a 1am oil change. Getting the Miata buttoned up for the season change. Aside from oil I topped off the other fluids, tire pressure and snaked the drain holes. I've got two tubs of DampRid on the way from Amazon and then she'll be ready to store outside under a cover for a few weeks while I do some stuff to my deceased step father's car so it's road worthy again. I also messed around with some headlamp restorer and just the first stage yielded pretty great results so I think I'll be doing a full treatment to the Miata lenses in the near future.

Round two of projects tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Threw stop slip in the tranny, its back to shifting smooth again. Fixed the bad crimps on the head unit wiring, speakers sound awesome again. Threw another clamp on the leaking heater hose, its no longer leaking. Then some chicks came over with a friend and we helped them set up the equalizer for the stereo in their g35, looked up the shift cable for the eclipse turbo they have sitting, polished the headlights on the g35 and checked their taillights to see what was loving up. Started at 12:30 am and finished at 4:30, taking time to drink and bullshit, good times.