Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Accordion Man posted:

Also if you're not using the dubstep gun you're playing the game wrong.

Unless you configured it to be Ride of the Valkyries gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

GTA's writing is awful - though it at least benefits from being mostly aware that it doesn't actually have a stance on anything that happens in its game. And, you know, it plays decently well.

Not having a stance on anything is actually the kind of nihilistic bullshit that makes GTA writing so awful. Honestly, Watch_Dogs' meandering mish-mash mess of a plot is miles above GTAV because it doesn't stop every five minutes to make yet another "Man, people sure are shallow!" joke before tossing you into an extending sequence where you torture a dude for no reason then get scored poorly for not torturing him enough.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Crowetron posted:

If that dude prefers doing the same old gun and car stuff over kick-rear end superpowers, he'd probably love Watch_Dogs.
It's not unreasonable to expect or want that style of game from the fourth game in a series known for it, tbh.

instead of just not doing superhero stuff, though, they should have given the cars and guns superpowers.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Bluhman posted:

Advanced morality choices that actually affect how poo poo goes down (i.e. The Witcher) requires a crapton of team coordination to plan out how story branches happen. Meanwhile Watch_Dogs here can't even coordinate their own art and level design team as it's matching its gritty biker bar interiors to pleasant cafe exteriors and can't come up with any creative names for any of their ingame franchises.

Even something simple, like if at the end of the Bedbug plotline, Aiden goes "oh no, Iraq is going to kill Bedbug!"

A. SAVE BEDBUG
B. LEAVE BEDBUG

With you getting a bit more XP and a grateful phonecall if you picked the first option, but an easier mission if you picked the second. Little stuff like that would have helped.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crowetron posted:

Not having a stance on anything is actually the kind of nihilistic bullshit that makes GTA writing so awful. Honestly, Watch_Dogs' meandering mish-mash mess of a plot is miles above GTAV because it doesn't stop every five minutes to make yet another "Man, people sure are shallow!" joke before tossing you into an extending sequence where you torture a dude for no reason then get scored poorly for not torturing him enough.
Yeah, really a bunch of white middle aged men desperately trying to be like edgy teenagers through their writing is so much worse than Watch_Dogs' mess.

Red Dead and Bully are far better written than any of the GTAs. Like even Red Dead was all about how everything is poo poo but I felt that it managed to pull it off without feeling tryhard in part because they set a consistent tone and atmosphere, and it didn't hurt that it actually had likable characters that had some humanity to them.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Plus, in those games, the lead characters were aware of their flaws and were trying to become better people and do some good.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

It's not unreasonable to expect or want that style of game from the fourth game in a series known for it, tbh.

instead of just not doing superhero stuff, though, they should have given the cars and guns superpowers.

The some of the guns get pretty wild once upgraded, but yeah, they coulda used more super-cars. I'll never argue with a good super-car.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, really a bunch of white middle aged men desperately trying to be like edgy teenagers through their writing is so much worse than Watch_Dogs' mess.

Red Dead and Bully are far better written than any of the GTAs. Like even Red Dead was all about how everything is poo poo but I felt that it managed to pull it off without feeling tryhard in part because they set a consistent tone and atmosphere, and it didn't hurt that it actually had likable characters that had some humanity to them.

Way to improve Watch_Dogs #8001: replace Aiden Pearce with a time displaced John Marston

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Marston bumbling with a phone would probably be more competent than Aiden at his best, so there's also that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also Edgar Ross is a better antagonist than Damien in every way.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He's hacked into the telegraph wires and is reading all of our messages!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Whizbang posted:

He's hacked into the telegraph wires and is reading all of our messages!

I actually would love to see a bunch of guys on horseback slam into each other at an intersection

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
UNRELATED! I'm going to be haning out at ValorCon in Chicago on October 16-17 representing my other main project, the Six Feats Under podcast. They released their final schedule today, so here's a post I put together with all the information you'll need for my schedule, and suggestions for other things: http://13questions.tumblr.com/post/130368378253/six-feats-under-at-valorcon

Come on out and eat banana pudding with me. I promise you'll like it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also one last thing because I just remembered, another reason why RDR's writing works while GTA's doesn't is RDR never punches down, it criticizes all the inequalities and bigotry of the age and only attacks those at the top of society, guys like Ross, the professor, and the Mexican government. In stark contrast, GTA just loves picking on African-Americans, gays, women, etc.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 3, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Accordion Man posted:

In stark contrast, GTA just loves picking on African-Americans, gays, women, etc.

But-but, it's just ironyyy maaaan, it's a satire of our culture when we're acting lovely to minorities!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Bluhman posted:

Advanced morality choices that actually affect how poo poo goes down (i.e. The Witcher) requires a crapton of team coordination to plan out how story branches happen. Meanwhile Watch_Dogs here can't even coordinate their own art and level design team as it's matching its gritty biker bar interiors to pleasant cafe exteriors and can't come up with any creative names for any of their ingame franchises.

On the other hand, a lot of things Aiden does are pretty drat immoral (ie causing gigantic car wrecks to kill a target) but easier for the player. It could be worked nicely into a tempting choice of the easy way or the good way.

But yeah, it's a hard thing to do and a lot of better focused games have failed at it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Spelling Mitsake posted:

On the other hand, a lot of things Aiden does are pretty drat immoral (ie causing gigantic car wrecks to kill a target) but easier for the player. It could be worked nicely into a tempting choice of the easy way or the good way.

But yeah, it's a hard thing to do and a lot of better focused games have failed at it.

I would honestly respect Ubisoft if it had tried something stupidly ambitious like that. Even something that, in retrospect, everyone could see was pretty much impossible. It's one thing to fail because you overreached. It's another thing to fail because it was easier than trying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yardbomb posted:

But-but, it's just ironyyy maaaan, it's a satire of our culture when we're acting lovely to minorities!

Hey, look at that fast food place! It's called McDiabetes instead of McDonalds! Whoa! Biting social commentary from GTA! Who's writing this game, Banksy?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, look at that fast food place! It's called McDiabetes instead of McDonalds! Whoa! Biting social commentary from GTA! Who's writing this game, Banksy?

Hey man, what if instead of "Facebook", we called it "Lifeinvader" get it hoo boy really worked the noggin on that one I'm going on break

EDIT: I know we were joking, but actually the lifeinvader poo poo is banky as gently caress

Woah man what if we put a NO symbol over the word "Privacy" think about it man

Danaru fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 3, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
GTA5 gave hard hitting social commentary on today's culture with the grace and subtlety as a running drop kick to my dick.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Waffleman_ posted:

I have a question; where the hell did all this Banksy hate come from lately? I was only kind of familiar with Banksy for a long time but recently there's been a bunch of posts / vines and poo poo making fun of him? Did something happen?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Garrand posted:

I have a question; where the hell did all this Banksy hate come from lately? I was only kind of familiar with Banksy for a long time but recently there's been a bunch of posts / vines and poo poo making fun of him? Did something happen?

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Leal posted:

GTA5 gave hard hitting social commentary on today's culture with the grace and subtlety as a running drop kick to my dick.

Yes, but did you know that everyone is phonies and holding any political stance is dumb?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well, now you know to not buy GTA. That way you don't have to be upset.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garrand posted:

:laffo:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
My only real beef with GTA V is that there's very little pay off in anything that happens in the game besides the main plot. Plus I'm convinced they made all the property income so piddling that you would be forced to buy more money from the social club thing.

I don't really mind that the social commentary is slapped on heavily with a trowel, its a bit overdone but I feel its intentional, hell you can even find faux Banksy art in the game as a collectible.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 3, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So what's more accurate? Clock_Pooches Chicago or Minecraft Chicago?

Zeniel posted:

My only real beef with GTA V is that there's very little pay off in anything that happens in the game besides the main plot. Plus I'm convinced they made all the property income so piddling that you would be forced to buy more money from the social club thing.
The money ('Shark cards') you buy are for GTA:Online, not the single player. The high prices and low income for properties is just to kick you in the dick for attempting to have fun like half of the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Croccers posted:

So what's more accurate? Clock_Pooches Chicago or Minecraft Chicago?

The money ('Shark cards') you buy are for GTA:Online, not the single player. The high prices and low income for properties is just to kick you in the dick for attempting to have fun like half of the game.

Isn't that how GTA always was? I remember Vice City hating you when it comes to money as well. It's the only one I've played so I'm not to clear on it. Then again Vice City had random pick ups. I don't know if the modern GTAs still do that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Onmi posted:

Isn't that how GTA always was? I remember Vice City hating you when it comes to money as well. It's the only one I've played so I'm not to clear on it. Then again Vice City had random pick ups. I don't know if the modern GTAs still do that.

I can't speak for the previous GTAs (I only played some of San Andreas), but that's part of a constant theme with GTAV that I've seen a lot of people voice; it just really hates people who don't play the game how the developers want them to, and their way doesn't include the usual sandbox fun. Money is terribly distributed, police are strong and relentless, the most sandbox-y playable character is the unambiguously worst person, and the list goes on.

It's all stuff that would be kind of annoying but ultimately forgivable in isolation, but all of it together paints an image of 'gently caress you for having fun your way, have fun our way'.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
and its things like, if you actually go out of your way to get all of any of the random collectables, most of which are completely impossible to find without a walkthrough guide, you get basically nothing, every single time.

Vice city and San Andreas gave you good rewards for that sort of thing and I don't think the money was too terrible in those games, there certainly wasn't a $150,000,000 golf course, with no fun way to earn that amount of money and certainly no pay off worth actually buying the stupid thing.

Besides that, I still its pretty fun to play overall, just somewhat lacking in good rewards for doing anything. It's a game about terrible people doing terrible things, so I suppose a fistful of nothing is just desserts I guess.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zeniel posted:

Vice city and San Andreas gave you good rewards for that sort of thing and I don't think the money was too terrible in those games, there certainly wasn't a $150,000,000 golf course, with no fun way to earn that amount of money and certainly no pay off worth actually buying the stupid thing.
That's an AssCreed lesson, though: they introduced those expensive landmarks that do gently caress all in Brotherhood and people bought them.
Anyway, yeah, the last GTA game I really played was San Andreas so I'm a bit out of the loop here.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
If you ever do get round to playing it, you can see that the people the easily had the most fun making the game were the level designers. The environment is just amazingly detailed, there's all sorts of hidden easter eggs and amazing little things to check out. Its just a shame how little of it is linked to the actual game play.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Money was very low in Vice City without doing the car mini-game. But I typically got to the point of getting the mansion and then not really doing much beyond dicking around at that point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Money was very low in Vice City without doing the car mini-game. But I typically got to the point of getting the mansion and then not really doing much beyond dicking around at that point.
That's probably the main issue since that's when the big money jobs start to roll in and you can start investing in property.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I imagine its just game developers trying to think of something for players to do with all that extra cash they're accumulating due to the game not having a dynamic economy/having to pay for basic human necessities. After a certain point, in most games, money just becomes kind of worthless. It'd be kind of fun if there was a game like Skyrim or something where you could flood the market with all the artifacts and treasures of old and cause a huge financial crisis due to mass inflation or something.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

Owning properties in the earlier GTA's normally weren't the massive money sink like they were in 5. Sure their reward after finishing their missions was just money you had to pick up but it's still better than constant harassing phonecalls because the Weed van got hijacked again, or the bar is under attack again. The only reward worth mentioning in GTA5's set of stuff is that Franklin (and only Franklin) gets free car customizations at one very specific car mod-shop.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zeniel posted:

I imagine its just game developers trying to think of something for players to do with all that extra cash they're accumulating due to the game not having a dynamic economy/having to pay for basic human necessities. After a certain point, in most games, money just becomes kind of worthless. It'd be kind of fun if there was a game like Skyrim or something where you could flood the market with all the artifacts and treasures of old and cause a huge financial crisis due to mass inflation or something.

That's what happens to any game with cash upgrades, you get to the point where beyond ammo, what are you spending your huge amounts of money on. Ergo you need more things to buy. And if we let you gain too much cash too quickly then you'll buy everything and wont have a lasting experience. I mean AssCreed 2 had that, once you purchased everything there was no point to ever spending money or investing in the town. Since all it did was make money that was useless.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Another thing with money in games, especially non-MMOs, is that there's almost always no ongoing costs. You buy things rather than pay upkeep (because that feels better, lets be honest), and you never need to stock up on things like fresh food, water, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Croccers posted:

The only reward worth mentioning in GTA5's set of stuff is that Franklin (and only Franklin) gets free car customizations at one very specific car mod-shop.

The game remembering which cars your single player characters own is extremely wonky too, or was when it came out.

You could spend a tonne of dosh on souping a car up, but if you got wasted while driving it, you ought to basically assume it's gone for good because probably won't go to the impound lot. A lot of the online functionality in GTA V would have made for some huge QoL improvements in single player. (The quick menu that got added for PS4 generation version is a start).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As lackluster as GTA5 was compared to San Andreas, It at least it never presented its blatant Misanthropy as anything but what it is. Meanwhile Ubisoft throws around Human trafficking, "fixers", the death of social privacy and vigilantism into a pot and just calls it a day without even trying to turn off the stove after the broth is bubbling out all over the kitchen. Their lack of effort to do anything but make another stupidly expensive merchandise line from Watch_Dogs is amazing in its expectation in having a lot of things to do in a game means they all work together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Aurain posted:

The game remembering which cars your single player characters own is extremely wonky too, or was when it came out.

You could spend a tonne of dosh on souping a car up, but if you got wasted while driving it, you ought to basically assume it's gone for good because probably won't go to the impound lot. A lot of the online functionality in GTA V would have made for some huge QoL improvements in single player. (The quick menu that got added for PS4 generation version is a start).

Not even if you died, pretty much the moment you took your eyes off the drat thing or switched characters or whatever it could randomly disappear. Even if it was in your garage where cars are supposed to be safe.

So yeah, they basically made it pointless to drive any car but the three "canon" ones.

• Locked thread