Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's like someone dosed the typical aspen shithead with PCP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Nintendo Kid posted:

People who think it's totally cool to fire off 5000 rounds every weekend are a rather small minority. They're loud as gently caress, but still very much a minority that's shrinking all the time.

When these are the people who dictate gun control policy (and don't kid yourself, they are), how is the fact that they are a small minority in number even remotely the point?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Badger of Basra posted:

HST terrified about developers!!! destroying neighborhood character on his quaint bungalow street
Hell's Angels probably has the best ending of any nonfiction book ever written.

Hunter Thompson was a thoroughly deranged individual and it's sort of amazing that he managed to live as long as he did considering how much he loved booze, drugs, and firearms.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

HST terrified about developers!!! destroying neighborhood character on his quaint bungalow street near his heavily fortified compound/peacock farm

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Armed vet that claimed he chose not to act in MSNBC interview did an interview with Hannity saying “Immediately the school staff stopped us and told us to get inside of the building…essentially the staff wouldn’t let us go to assist.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2I93N6H_eM

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Like someone from the Air Force could've helped anyway.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I think what bothers people is that you and so many others have quite casually made a supposedly family-friendly sport out of playing with tools of murder.

Does it not occur to you that perhaps the fact that America is, by and large, OK with entire families loving around with lethal weaponry for their weekend recreation at least somewhat related to the fact there have been thousands of gun deaths already this year?

There are probably a few hundred thousand redneck kids every year who go take rifles out to the sticks and bump fire through a few hundred .308 rounds. Most of them don't kill anyone.
Sorry that your country's kids are so bad at kicking rear end?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah that guy seems like a real go-getter, a trained marksman ready to shoot them bad guys with perfect accuracy and definitely not an innocent bystander. Hell maybe he could no-scope them while bunny hopping. Without using a script even.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"They wouldn't let me be cannon fodder. How dare they!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

When these are the people who dictate gun control policy (and don't kid yourself, they are), how is the fact that they are a small minority in number even remotely the point?

They actually don't dictate gun control policy in many states, because there's even fewer of them.

I am not a book posted:

There are probably a few hundred thousand redneck kids every year who go take rifles out to the sticks and bump fire through a few hundred .308 rounds. Most of them don't kill anyone.

It's a sad reflection of your thinking that you think shooting a tree counts as "kicking rear end".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's a sad reflection of your thinking that you think shooting a tree counts as "kicking rear end".
Trees are fuckin' asking for it.

Just sittin' there photosynthesizing smug as poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I am not a book posted:

Hahahahahaha, what?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You know it'd be really nice if we didn't have a bunch of morons playing or desperately wanting a chance at Dunning-Kruger: Lethal Arms in this country. We could at the very least force these idiots to prove their supposed mad shooting skillz in a battery of difficult target tests yearly to maintain a license to carry.

If you're going to play "Good Guy With A Gun" you should at least have to prove that you're probably not going to shoot the victim/innocent bystander in the face.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 3, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

We could at the very least force these idiots to prove their supposed mad shooting skillz in a battery of difficult target tests yearly to maintain a license to carry.
What percentage chance do you think that would have of being anything other than a paper bag test?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If they had strict guidelines they had to prove their performance in, maybe non-zero?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

You know it'd be really nice if we didn't have a bunch of morons playing or desperately wanting a chance at Dunning-Kruger: Lethal Arms in this country. We could at the very least force these idiots to prove their supposed mad shooting skillz in a battery of difficult target tests yearly to maintain a license to carry.

/troll
Yeah that would really be great, but good luck amending the Constitution for that. No one wants to risk a constitutional convention and good luck getting a supermajority of both chambers to agree to limit anything that would :kingsley:allow OBAMAS TYRANNY!!!!:kingsley:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I keep hearing and seeing people say that this guy was a Muslim that targeted Christians.

I know the second part is rumored by a couple of witnesses. Any truth to the Muslim portion?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What percentage chance do you think that would have of being anything other than a paper bag test?

What are your thoughts on castle doctrine and SYG, since we're talking paper bag tests?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
The dumbest poo poo is the gun people who insist you need technical knowledge to have an informed stance about guns. It's an object that kills people with the twitch of a finger, and I know people I don't want senselessly murdered by some nut. That's it, that's the technical knowledge you need to have an informed opinion about guns. You might have a stance like "I need a gun to defend myself and my family," but you might was well have a stance like "I'm learning to count cards so I can put my kids through college" because they're about as likely to pan out.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I keep hearing and seeing people say that this guy was a Muslim that targeted Christians.

I know the second part is rumored by a couple of witnesses. Any truth to the Muslim portion?

Apparently his social media stuff had anti-theist stuff and white supremacist stuff so I severely doubt he was a Muslim.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

What are your thoughts on castle doctrine and SYG, since we're talking paper bag tests?
I'm generally fine with any law that requires a reasonable fear of death or GBH precede a use of justifiable lethal force.

dogs named Charlie posted:

The dumbest poo poo is the gun people who insist you need technical knowledge to have an informed stance about guns. It's an object that kills people with the twitch of a finger, and I know people I don't want senselessly murdered by some nut. That's it, that's the technical knowledge you need to have an informed opinion about guns. You might have a stance like "I need a gun to defend myself and my family," but you might was well have a stance like "I'm learning to count cards so I can put my kids through college" because they're about as likely to pan out.
Shoulder thing that goes up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

point of return posted:

Apparently his social media stuff had anti-theist stuff and white supremacist stuff so I severely doubt he was a Muslim.

Libertarian?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's an attempt to pigeonhole everyone who wants mandatory background checks and a more regulated transfer process in with people who say handguards make guns more deadly. You see, because you said clip once, it means you're a hair's breadth from bringing back the 94 AWB.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

It's an attempt to pigeonhole everyone who wants mandatory background checks and a more regulated transfer process in with people who say handguards make guns more deadly.
The silent majority who want those things should really speak up because politicians keep trying to ban flash suppressors, barrel shrouds, and .50 range toys.

You know, to protect us from gangs. All those gangs that roll around with $10,000, 5' long, 35 pound, single shot rifles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The silent majority who want those things should really speak up because politicians keep trying to ban flash suppressors, barrel shrouds, and .50 range toys.

You know, to protect us from gangs. All those gangs that roll around with $10,000, 5' long, 35 pound, single shot rifles.

:laffo: perhaps the silent majority of gunbunnies can speak up about wanting the GOP to do something about the purported root causes of gun violence so maybe some of that blood can get washed off for once.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

point of return posted:

Over the hills a wind rose, and buffets an old man riding a Rascal. He looks up sharply, his Molon Labe hat shaking. On his labored breath, a single word rasped...Taqiyya

The freeper crowd is more firmly in the "false flag/crisis actor" camp at the moment, but they won't hesitate to order up a double shot of taqiyya if there's anything to remotely paint him as being Muslim.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The people who want those things are hardly silent or a small group, however closely some might follow it up with "does anyone really need a fill-in-the-blank" stuff. Politicians have been talking about the "gun show loophole" since the Clinton administration, at least.

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: perhaps the silent majority of gunbunnies can speak up about wanting the GOP to do something about the purported root causes of gun violence so maybe some of that blood can get washed off for once.

I do wish Dems would press harder whenever mental health comes up in response in the debate. Conservative politicians have made it quite clear exactly how much of a poo poo they give about healthcare of any sort, and this is a good opportunity to hold their feet to the fire.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 3, 2015

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

You don't have to like guns, but you have to be knowledgeable if you intend to regulate them. Being ignorant about firearms means that your laws regarding firearms ignorant. The Brady Campaign galvanized the NRA and the movement of gun activists as it is now the frequent end of every talking point of "this is how liberals think guns work". Our current laws have done absolutely nothing to lower gun violence. We can talk about the decrease in violent crime over the years, but that's another story entirely unrelated.

Lastly, regulating gun related crimes, such as homicides, with gun laws and regulating mass shootings with gun laws are entirely different animals. You guys cannot hope legislating laws for one will prevent the other.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Job Truniht posted:

You don't have to like guns, but you have to be knowledgeable if you intend to regulate them. Being ignorant about firearms means that your laws regarding firearms ignorant. The Brady Campaign galvanized the NRA and the movement of gun activists as it is now the frequent end of every talking point of "this is how liberals think guns work". Our current laws have done absolutely nothing to lower gun violence. We can talk about the decrease in violent crime over the years, but that's another story entirely unrelated.

Lastly, regulating gun related crimes, such as homicides, with gun laws and regulating mass shootings with gun laws are entirely different animals. You guys cannot hope legislating laws for one will prevent the other.

You don't, really. See: every technology-related piece of legislature, ever.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I agree that would be a good thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OAquinas posted:

Or drat near any law sponsored by the GOP gunbunny mothership pertaining to women.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Good luck discrediting the NRA with that belief. That's the first thing that needs to happen. Then an overhauled NICS and background checks. Then second hand sale laws. Even then you probably won't stop mass shootings.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

eviltastic posted:

From that thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/world/europe/pope-francis-kim-davis-meeting.html?_r=1

Whole article is worth a read and should exactly suit your purposes.

This Pope is a pretty good Pope.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

This Pope is a pretty good Pope.
Someone give him a Peace Prize.

He deserves it at least as much as Obama.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Job Truniht posted:

Good luck discrediting the NRA with that belief. That's the first thing that needs to happen. Then an overhauled NICS and background checks. Then second hand sale laws. Even then you probably won't stop mass shootings.

A sitting congressperson was literally shot in the head in a mass shooting and gun laws only got more relaxed, and it's almost "mass shooting of the week" in America these days and still no movement on the gun law needle. I don't honestly think anything will be done regarding gun laws, I was just pointing out the silly fallacy that legislators ever need to know anything to about the subject to pass a law about it.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

OAquinas posted:

A sitting congressperson was literally shot in the head in a mass shooting and gun laws only got more relaxed, and it's almost "mass shooting of the week" in America these days and still no movement on the gun law needle. I don't honestly think anything will be done regarding gun laws, I was just pointing out the silly fallacy that legislators ever need to know anything to about the subject to pass a law about it.

They can pass laws about it, but they won't be good ones. I'm willing to defend some parts of the Brady Law such as NICS, but is anyone out there really prepared to defend the legislation in its entirety?

e: I mean, the NICS is concept is at least great even if it's a horrendously outdated piece of poo poo now that needs a serious overhaul

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 3, 2015

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

This is exactly it. If you ever find yourself saying "I don't need no book learnin' to make effective regulation of this thing I don't like" you're either a hard social conservative or you're thinking like one.

Again, there are people who don't have a stake in weak gun control who know a good bit about guns: how they work, how they don't work, how they're used by criminals, how they're used by non-criminals. People with military or police backgrounds who had to learn a lot but wouldn't have their usage threatened by strict laws. Non-shooters who did their homework. Funnily enough, they're not heavily represented in the "we must take swift and sweeping action!" crowd. They're also relatively, or perhaps ignored, when proposals are drafted by strong gun control advocates. Why is this?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Armed people can help in case of emerg..... oh wait a minute...

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hey, if the good guy with a gun wasn't there, things could have been worse. At least this way the Property was recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Killer robot posted:

This is exactly it. If you ever find yourself saying "I don't need no book learnin' to make effective regulation of this thing I don't like" you're either a hard social conservative or you're thinking like one.

Again, there are people who don't have a stake in weak gun control who know a good bit about guns: how they work, how they don't work, how they're used by criminals, how they're used by non-criminals. People with military or police backgrounds who had to learn a lot but wouldn't have their usage threatened by strict laws. Non-shooters who did their homework. Funnily enough, they're not heavily represented in the "we must take swift and sweeping action!" crowd. They're also relatively, or perhaps ignored, when proposals are drafted by strong gun control advocates. Why is this?

So what evidence is there that people "who did their homework" are less represented apart from wishful thinking? Besides, at this point every single proposed measure has been debated for literal decades including many proposals that don't hinge on any technical characteristics. I'm a fan of strict liability because if gun owners are so loving enthusiastic about the "cost of living in a free society" they're perfectly free to pay it themselves.

• Locked thread