Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I just twitter audited @benshapiro and 20% of his followers are fake. Considering that doesn't catch the old "mass follow, mass unfollow when they follow you back" trick, and considering how few favs and retweets he gets, I think his active follower count may be a little inflated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

#stuffhappens is blowing up in Jeb's face quite nicely!

bout to get better

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-05-26/news/0005260161_1_pool-safety-new-pools-ibern

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
How have you read this thread for more than a week without learning who Ben Shapiro is? :psyduck:

Not because I'm jealous, of course

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Amazing

Remember this is the serious Republican candidate.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Amazing

Remember this is the serious Republican candidate.

lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Lmao, JEB! gets grilled for saying "stuff happens" when 9 people are murdered and thinks "goddammit its that idiot kid and the pool all over again".

Thats not a joke, thats demonstrably what just happened on the presidential campaign trail of 2016. By a candidate who is viable for Republicans.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It's good to know that liberals are not above taking a bullshit out-of-context quote and faux outraging about it.

"Stuff happens" is Jeb's "what difference does it make". It was badly phrased but not the "yolo poo poo happens who cares" that people are acting like it was.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's good to know that liberals are not above taking a bullshit out-of-context quote and faux outraging about it.

"Stuff happens" is Jeb's "what difference does it make". It was badly phrased but not the "yolo poo poo happens who cares" that people are acting like it was.

Yeah except he doubled down on it. Even after having signed a literal pool fence safety bill into law as governor.

quote:

"A child drowns in a pool and the impulse is to pass a law that puts fencing around pools," Bush said. "Well it may not change it or you have a car accident and the impulse is to pass a law that deals with that unique event and the cumulative effect of this is in some cases, you don’t solve the problem by passing the law, and you’re imposing on large numbers of people, burdens that make it harder for our economy to grow, make it harder for people to protect liberty, and that is, the whole conversation today was exactly about that."

And now it's your turn to double down on your own comment like a loving moron too.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

When Hillary said that she was referring to the reason the 4 people in Benghazi were killed, not that they were killed in the first place.

quote:

Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night and decided they’d go kill some Americans. What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?

Bush's specific quote was

quote:

It’s just, it’s very sad to see, but I resist this notion and I did — I had this challenge as governor — we had, look, stuff happens. There’s always a crisis and the impulse is always to do something, and it’s not necessarily the right thing to do.

I'm not an English professor but the Stuff that Happened was this Crisis and yes Jeb is a lovely person for waving away the need for any government action with "stuff happens"

I can't actually know what he meant to say but it sounded like he said yolo poo poo happens who cares. All I can judge him on is what he actually said, not whatever he meant to say.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

You could have gotten away with this before jeb decided to go full George W but there is really no excuse now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was listening to that Janet Parshall women again during my drive and she (amazingly) played relativly unedited speeches from Cecile Richards Planned Parenthood who spoke before a Congressional panel

It was incredible how intelligent she came off and how she defended herself against these idiots. She rattled off statistics about how planned parenthood had helped lower teen pregnancy rates in states where they're funded the best, and how an out of work women had her life saved because planned parenthood was able to do a breast exam on her while other "Charities" were not able to do it. They even tried to attack her with some bullshit graph they found from some pro-life organization, and she called them on it. (Parshall herself tried to backtrack and claim that it didn't matter because they used legitimate sources. which is bullshit)

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/01/jason-chaffetz/chart-shown-planned-parenthood-hearing-misleading-/

Anyways, it's just incredible how much these people just seem to rely on emotion when faced with statistics. I've seen Al Franken also stop a lot of these same types dead in their tracks when confronted with similar issues.

In terms of the oregon shooting and the president's response? I'm just stunned how these people immediately try to label the president as being "political" in this regards. You know...we're seeing little kids even being killed because these assholes are terrified of being challenged on this issue. If YOU were the president, would you not feel racked with guilt that you were not able to stop or minimize these attacks?

I'm so goddamned sick of the right. Their solution to everything be it, women's health, gun violence, or healthcare is to do nothing about it. When something is brought up, like a solution of some sorts? They piss and moan about it, t

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He's clearly including mass shootings in the "stuff" that happens, and then compared it to a pool drowning accident. When someone asked of he'd like to rephrase that, he declined and then got confused why someone just asked him that. His entire message was "we shouldn't try to do stuff" and he barely had the brains to make it sound less callous than the NRA itself.

Did he mean to convey the sentiment behind "stuff happens"? No probably not. Does he have that sentiment inside of him and (for the 6th time or something) not code his language well enough? Sure looks like it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
When things are just regular phrases that look weird in print or contextual outliers, you dont generally see reporters immediately asking if they'd like a do over on it.

Hillary gave up a soundbite gem while making an appeal for decency when talking about her own dept personnel being murdered.

Jeb gave one up while telling everyone these shootings will stop if we're all nicer to our neighbors and implying that gun control is just an illogical emotional reaction to your family members being murdered.

Not the same.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 3, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

"Good guy" sheriff Hanlin posted a Sandy Hook Truther Video in 2013.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/john-hanlin-sandy-hook-truther

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lol.

If he had replaced the word "stuff" with "tragedies" then nobody would be having a pretend shitfit about it. It was just a stupid loving word to choose because when you read it out of context it seems like he had a whatever attitude about it.

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Yeah except he doubled down on it. Even after having signed a literal pool fence safety bill into law as governor.

And now it's your turn to double down on your own comment like a loving moron too.

That woman's son was crippled and later died because she left him completely unsupervised at a loving house party and she worked through her guilt by deciding that the real problem was that the person throwing the party didn't have a fence around the pool and not her being a poo poo parent who was probably drinking and conversing with other adults oblivious to where her 5 year old was.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

When Hillary said that she was referring to the reason the 4 people in Benghazi were killed, not that they were killed in the first place.

Bush's specific quote was

I'm not an English professor but the Stuff that Happened was this Crisis and yes Jeb is a lovely person for waving away the need for any government action with "stuff happens"

I can't actually know what he meant to say but it sounded like he said yolo poo poo happens who cares. All I can judge him on is what he actually said, not whatever he meant to say.

Feel free to watch the video to actually understand the tone. He was speaking informally and off the cuff, not dismissively.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's clearly including mass shootings in the "stuff" that happens, and then compared it to a pool drowning accident. When someone asked of he'd like to rephrase that, he declined and then got confused why someone just asked him that. His entire message was "we shouldn't try to do stuff" and he barely had the brains to make it sound less callous than the NRA itself.

Did he mean to convey the sentiment behind "stuff happens"? No probably not. Does he have that sentiment inside of him and (for the 6th time or something) not code his language well enough? Sure looks like it.

I mean, yeah, I wouldn't argue that conservatives have that attitude about mass shootings, but I don't think that's how he came off in that exchange. I think they asked him if he wanted a do-over because it's super obvious how it's going to come across when it's repeated in the media to people who don't care to read the full statement or watch the video. Jeb Bush is a dipshit and I have a lot of moral disagreements with him but this just feels so insanely pointless to try to hammer him on when he's barely even in the primary at this point. It feels like belittling a slow kid or something.

I saw other people talking about it and was like "oh god, what a piece of poo poo" and then I watched the interview and realized people are being retarded.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 3, 2015

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jeb's message boils down to "poo poo happens and our first instinct is to create a new rule but these rules end up hurting our economy and liberty"

It's a pretty loving insensitive thing to say and "stuff happens" is the perfect encapsulation of his response

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

nachos posted:

Jeb's message boils down to "poo poo happens and our first instinct is to create a new rule but these rules end up hurting our economy and liberty"

It's a pretty loving insensitive thing to say and "stuff happens" is the perfect encapsulation of his response

I read it more as "bad things happen and our first impulse is to leap into action to do something that feels like it might prevent bad things in the future but often these actions don't actually prevent bad things at all and sometimes lead to other, different bad things."

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

I read it more as "bad things happen and our first impulse is to leap into action to do something that feels like it might prevent bad things in the future but often these actions don't actually prevent bad things at all and sometimes lead to other, different bad things."

You're overthinking it and are dumb, hth.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
In general I agree with the idea that 'poo poo happens, that doesn't always mean we need a new law'. It's just transparent that that sentiment is only being invoked here because guns are a sacred cow to the kind of assholes that make up the conservative base. Also there's the fact that this specific poo poo is happening ALL THE GODDAM TIME these days. So yeah, maybe this is one of those things that does need a new loving law to fix.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

Lol.

If he had replaced the word "stuff" with "tragedies" then nobody would be having a pretend shitfit about it. It was just a stupid loving word to choose because when you read it out of context it seems like he had a whatever attitude about it.

That woman's son was crippled and later died because she left him completely unsupervised at a loving house party and she worked through her guilt by deciding that the real problem was that the person throwing the party didn't have a fence around the pool and not her being a poo poo parent who was probably drinking and conversing with other adults oblivious to where her 5 year old was.

Right on cue, the idiot doubles down. Maybe you would do better as an (unpaid) intern on Jeb!'s campaign?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So he said it, he supports it, his party supports it...but he didn't say it like a sociopath so its ok?

I mean if Obama hit thay podium and very nicely said "look, stuff happens. Lets not go crazy here", I would absolutely be up in arms.

The message is offensive enough to justify being upset. He just threw gasoline on the fire with the patented Bush gift for phrasing and it dovetailed perfectly with the lovely sentiment he was giving.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Dude, if you don't think that young children almost inevitably find ways to leave their parent's supervision and get themselves hurt, I don't know what to tell you. Parents can't be on monitoring their children 24-7, and the fact that five minutes without supervision was enough to make this happen leads me to believe her "drinking and conversing" wasn't the problem.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Part of being president is soothing the nation and acting as a ur-parternal figure. You cannot, accident or not, meaningful or not, tell a shocked (or...weary) nation "stuff happens".

Aside from being callous as gently caress on its face, its yet another example of Bush not thinking before he speaks or not even knowing he needs to. It's scary.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

I would buy this from a candidate that shows a lot of nuance in their views and is willing to endorse policies that don't feel good but are proven to achieve great results. I do not buy this interpretation from a candidate whose stated way to get black votes was promising to not give out "Free Stuff".

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Good god are republicans bad. A complete bunch of shits in every sense of the word. Quite literally the 'do nothing, good for nothing' party for every single problem.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

beatlegs posted:

In his defense, he probably didn't expect two years later he'd have to deal with a shooting massacre in his district and imagined it was some far away problem. If he keeps the same views now then yeah he's a loving idiot. Not defending or supporting his views but since idiots like him don't look at big pictures it's probably a wakeup call.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It's probably the same mindset of 'my' abortions being the only 'good abortions'.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Uh

Distance from the killzone doesn't excuse anyone from wondering if Sandy Hook was an Imagine/Amblin entertainment production.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

beatlegs posted:

As someone who lives one town over from Newtown and whose social circle includes family members of victims, gently caress these people.

I've even seen this poo poo pop up locally and it makes me irrationally angry.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Nelson Mandingo posted:

In his defense...Not defending or supporting his views

But...you did?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

It sounds bad even in context. Tragedies are not "stuff." Tragedies are tragic, by their very definition, and are the sort of thing that we should be minimizing, not glossing over as some minor little handwave that nobody can do anything about.

Even if he were saying "poo poo happens" it would still be bad. Why would it still be bad? Because this is not some tragedy that nobody could have forseen. This is not some tragedy that happened as a result of random chance or because someone didn't watch a little kid, this is a tragedy that happened due to deliberate malice on the part of an individual who wanted to murder a large number of people. This is not "stuff happens" or "poo poo happens," this is a depraved rear end in a top hat killing people. This is exactly the sort of thing that we keep governments around to prevent!

I get that he was trying to say that we shouldn't rush to judgement and pass laws that have devastating secondary consequences (like fencing in pools - lord knows that there must be piles and piles of dead bodies sacrificed on that altar of public safety, right?), but this is not a new problem. This is a problem that we have been dealing with for decades. This is not a random one-off chance of "stuff" happening that just so happens to kill a person (just as kids wandering into pools is actually a really loving common problem and pool fencing is a good idea you twit).

So yeah, there is no justification for calling it as "stuff" happening, even in context.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But...you did?

Nah, that was just poor wording on my part. I just can understand from his point of view as some gun nut that he'd want to pretend his hobby, special relationship, or whatever the gently caress makes him want to come up with ways to ignore the problem. (Which hey i'm not defending is a positive thing either!) But now it happened in his district on his watch.

quote:

If he had replaced the word "stuff" with "tragedies" then nobody would be having a pretend shitfit about it

Imagine if Barack Obama said "Stuff happens" during Benghazi, Sandy Hook, ISIS, etc. It doesn't matter the context of his message because the message is "Rushing to legislative decisions is bad".

The problem in a nutshell is this is a situation that requires legislative action and any reasonable person can see his message comes off as uncaring.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 3, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Can you give some examples of these different bad things that happen often?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

well first off, mass shootings are an actual problem bigger than Benghazi, second off, hillary's quote wasn't exactly a good thing to say either

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

beatlegs posted:

Can you give some examples of these different bad things that happen often?

They banned alcohol on the beach after a couple of bad incidents and now I can't get drunk on the beach

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think the bigger question is how relevant is jeb bush even? Isn't he buried in the current polls?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Considering how wildly polls have swung for other GOP candidates so far, Bush is not irrelevant until he concedes.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

I think the bigger question is how relevant is jeb bush even? Isn't he buried in the current polls?

He's struggling to stay in the high single digits from what recent polls tell us. Thing is he's still neck and neck, or only slightly behind Rubio. That may change shortly though

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Doesn't Breitbart post a bunch of gamergate poo poo, and this guy was basically into that whole woman hating culture? Guess we know who inspired him.

Cardboard Box C had an amazing breakdown of how a lot of conservative groups like this deliberately reach out to Reddit and 4/8channers as a source of guaranteed rumor milling and trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/alabama-drivers-licenses-voter-id

Totally not racist you guys!