Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Rich and Jack are streaming Dropsy, which according to Wikipedia, has SA origins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Everworld had the biggest cop out ending ever.

It's like if Star Wars ended with Jabba dying, and everyone just acts like Han Solo being free from worrying about bounty hunters was the central goal of the story.
Everyone got eaten by the horrible space god, imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i am tim! posted:

No, they were pretty well spot on about Alien Isolation, but I can see where people would really like it in comparison with Aliens: Colonial Marines.

They flat out missed the point of the entire game and didn't understand how to craft tools and distract Aliens. I mean...that's like playing a FPS and getting frustrated at all the shooting.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Lots of people get frustrated with the shooting in first person shooters when it's dull and repetitive. And I don't think they missed the point whatsoever. They get that it's a survival horror game and not an action game, but when you're at it so long that you start seeing the seams of the gameplay and AI, it stops being scary. It's 6 hours of solid horror buttery goodness scraped over twenty hours of toast.

Edit: Seam, not seem!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 1, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Alien got ruined for me when I hid behind a traffic cone from it and that actually worked.

Any monster than can be defeated with a traffic cone has lost any right to be terrifying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
As it turns out, RLM has IDS

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So, in my latest Animorphs video, I made a really quick two-second reference to ScrewAttack's Death Battle program. I did not any comment on the show negative or positive, just referenced its tagline. This morning, I woke up to find someone had written a 5400+ word essay on why ScrewAttack is just the worst, they hate Dragonball Z fans and... well, here are some highlights.

quote:

Where does Death Battle completely and utterly fail on a massive loving level? How they treat DBZ. No contest. It's the number one reason I wish I could just throttle those inbred cousins, Ben and Chad.

quote:

In the fight, Ben and Chad, aka, the two gay cousins, said Vegeta at his maximum could have destroyed a planet. Which is FALSE.

quote:

Now we move on to Kirby vs. Buu. I have actually performed my own independent research on this, and again, Kirby is a lot stronger than most people give him credit for, but once again, Screwattack fucks up the stats on purpose to troll with DBZ fans.

quote:

Ben and Chad, the two ignorant yokels, knew that if they were going to make Goku vs. Superman 2 then they needed actual DBZ fans to back up their claims. I mean, DBZ fans have offered the most consistent and widespread challenge to their authority, and those inbred cousins HATE that!

and my personal favorite

quote:

How can you deny that this is an exercise in vanity to make yourselves feel better by inflating your own egos because, you know, Superman is supposed to represent American values? That's ALL it is. For one thing, Superman was used as a propaganda tool during the fifties and his slogan that he was there to fight for "truth, justice, and the American way" was meant as a rallying cry for the younger generation to grow up and continue to oppose Soviet despotism. Just pointing out that Superman's apparent "American values" are built on lies during a time when we were interfering all over the world in other countries that we had no business being in. This is why I find it very hard to associate Superman with America and view this whole debate in that way like so many dumb Americans are doing now. Superman himself even renounced his citizenship in the US because he didn't want to stand for a country that was being a hypocrite its own alleged ideals. I betcha many of these Supertards/Screwattards belong to the same group of people who scream loudly that they LOVE the US, wouldn't have it any other way... and then they openly boast that they wanted to SECEDE while flying the Confederate flag. Greg complained in his last video that he hates people who fly the Confederate flag,. I will bet you anything that those in Screwattack are doing it, too. But let's move on.

HOLY poo poo!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is... is that what an internet poster does when they're turning Super Saiyan?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
5400 words for that dribble. I can't even imagine the thought process that goes into writing something like that.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I only want to watch Deathbattle for seeing a visual representation of the fight scenes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Screwattack is pretty bad in general, but I kind of like Death Battle as long as I take it about as seriously as it deserves to be taken. It amazes me how much effort they put into animating those fake crossover battles, especially when they could just do a low effort cop out and run the battles in Mugen or something. At the very least, it's less offensive than Deadliest Warrior which when it's dumb mangles actual history.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I LOVE Death Battle. Not for the show itself (it's pretty good in its own goofy/stupid way) but for reactions like that.

It's just... so beautiful :syoon:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

poparena posted:

Excerpts from astounding Screwattack nonsense

Haha, that's amazing! So far the only very long essays I've had written as comments have been a few from very enthusiastic Dirk Bogarde fans, which was quite nice because I worried that my Dirk Bogarde Series would be completely uninteresting to just about everyone.
Oh and a few Lawrence of Arabia fans have made themselves known, after my recent episode. There's a particular kind of fandom which most people don't know about, relating to older, historical media and historical figures. It's not what most people think about when they think of fandom, since it's a far smaller group than people who are fans of, say, comic properties or "nostalgic" media. They're the original fans, really, because they're the sort of people who would have signed up for fan clubs and gotten those fan magazines in the post way back in the 60s. It's a whole different way of looking at fandom!

That said, there's also a person who really hates Brad who often comments on my videos. Brad even showed up on my Facebook show page once to tell this guy to go away.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just in case anyone forgot and was interested Monster Madness 2015 starts today. Looks like James is doing things a little differently this year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Just in case anyone forgot and was interested Monster Madness 2015 starts today. Looks like James is doing things a little differently this year.

James is dodging youtube content filters this year.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Alacron posted:

I LOVE Death Battle. Not for the show itself (it's pretty good in its own goofy/stupid way) but for reactions like that.

It's just... so beautiful :syoon:

I remember the tears when they had starscream lose to rainbow dash, I liked it since let be honest starscream is bad and would get killed by ponies in the show. I mean talk about a charater that people forgot what a pansy bitch he was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyron posted:

I remember the tears when they had starscream lose to rainbow dash, I liked it since let be honest starscream is bad and would get killed by ponies in the show. I mean talk about a charater that people forgot what a pansy bitch he was.

The was literally a Transformers cartoon episode where Starscream was hurled back in time to Camelot and got routed by King Arthur and his knights on horseback. It already happened.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So while not exactly a Critics thing I saw Miami Connection in theaters tonight with a (previously recorded) live riff from the Rifftrax guys. Goddamn was that amazing. Thank you RLM for showing me the glory of that film.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Infamous Sphere posted:

Haha, that's amazing! So far the only very long essays I've had written as comments have been a few from very enthusiastic Dirk Bogarde fans, which was quite nice because I worried that my Dirk Bogarde Series would be completely uninteresting to just about everyone.
Oh and a few Lawrence of Arabia fans have made themselves known, after my recent episode. There's a particular kind of fandom which most people don't know about, relating to older, historical media and historical figures. It's not what most people think about when they think of fandom, since it's a far smaller group than people who are fans of, say, comic properties or "nostalgic" media. They're the original fans, really, because they're the sort of people who would have signed up for fan clubs and gotten those fan magazines in the post way back in the 60s. It's a whole different way of looking at fandom!

That said, there's also a person who really hates Brad who often comments on my videos. Brad even showed up on my Facebook show page once to tell this guy to go away.

How could anyone hate Brad, hes the most chill critic out there.

Wait this is the internet, nevermind.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I'm not a massive fan of Brad's style, but that's personal taste rather than a dislike of the man himself. He seems like a very good, genuine person.

It was just odd, this whole tirade about how Brad was ripping me off and how he was all uppity (?) for not paying attention to my stuff, despite the fact that I'd never tried to communicate Brad through Twitter or comments or anything else, so how would he magically know that I'd reviewed something he was now reviewing, two years earlier? (Windows, in case you were wondering. Brad said he'd watch my review after he found out that I'd done one, but it was around the Blipocalypse so I'm not sure if he got a chance to.)
Then again, this commenter also said that Kyle was a social justice warrior for removing his Girlfriend Experience episode, so...I just try to ignore them. I'm being vague because I have this sinking feeling that the commenter will show up here as well.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm not a massive fan of Brad's style, but that's personal taste rather than a dislike of the man himself. He seems like a very good, genuine person.

It was just odd, this whole tirade about how Brad was ripping me off and how he was all uppity (?) for not paying attention to my stuff, despite the fact that I'd never tried to communicate Brad through Twitter or comments or anything else, so how would he magically know that I'd reviewed something he was now reviewing, two years earlier? (Windows, in case you were wondering. Brad said he'd watch my review after he found out that I'd done one, but it was around the Blipocalypse so I'm not sure if he got a chance to.)
Then again, this commenter also said that Kyle was a social justice warrior for removing his Girlfriend Experience episode, so...I just try to ignore them. I'm being vague because I have this sinking feeling that the commenter will show up here as well.

If he does, you can be pretty sure he'll be laughed out on his rear end.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Infamous Sphere posted:

I dont understand why people give a poo poo if two different reviewers review the same thing. As long as the reviews arent exact copies who cares.

Oh ya internet, nevermind.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I remember being super worried when I was writing up my review of Ben and Arthur, was about to record it, and then suddenly Lupa released hers. But at the time I was a little baby reviewer who'd done about three episodes. We ended up having a different take on that movie anyway. I've watched three different reviews of B&A, they all bring up different, great points, and they were all great.
Synchronicity seems to happen all the time in any kind of reviewing community - you see it with movie podcasts too, when two or three podcasts will coincidentally happen to review, say, Stealth, in the same two weeks. It happens. True randomness often doesn't appear random at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I really need to start catching up on RolloT's Podcasts

Also I need to do whatever he did to lose weight because goddamn
https://twitter.com/RolloT/status/649917509748060160
:stare:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

achillesforever6 posted:

Well done that man! :)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

achillesforever6 posted:

Which podcasts are those?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
In case anyone didn't hear, Patreon's been hacked

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If they think "lain" is gonna lead them anywhere near the hacker, they're very sadly mistaken - It's the name of the protagonist in an anime about the internet and hacking called Serial Experiments Lain.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Standard password reset everywhere (unless you used a different password for each site, of course).

Shipping addresses will suck to be exposed.

How much each Patreon made per month (vs. how much is pledged to them publicly, I suppose).

Given the feels I got around Patreon's general level of web-savvy, I can't say I'm shocked at this breach. Then again, given EVERY WEBSITE'S general level of security, I'm not shocked when any site is breached. =(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which podcasts are those?
Oh he has Weekly Manga Recap with Y Ruler of Time
http://weeklymangarecap.podbean.com/
And The podcast with his brother
http://superlariosbrothers.podbean.com/
I owe him a beer if I ever met him, Transmission Awesome was my first podcast that I listened to as a teenager and it really helped me laugh when I was feeling down on myself.

The Arnold Off between Spoony and Sean is still great

I tried searching for it on YT then I saw this and forgot how great Spoony was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1jRqjQhOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh he has Weekly Manga Recap with Y Ruler of Time
http://weeklymangarecap.podbean.com/
And The podcast with his brother
http://superlariosbrothers.podbean.com/
I owe him a beer if I ever met him, Transmission Awesome was my first podcast that I listened to as a teenager and it really helped me laugh when I was feeling down on myself.

I can't say anything about the Larios Brothers' podcast, but WMR is pretty good.

achillesforever6 posted:

Man, I have like a full day (24 hours) of WMR to catch up on. In my defense, I haven't really been doing the activities I make it background noise to.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Kuroyama posted:

I can't say anything about the Larios Brothers' podcast, but WMR is pretty good.

My favorite so far is 'Usagi Drop.' Nik's reaction is gold and mirrors mine.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Watching Spoony playing Until Dawn is pretty sad because at the beginning it seems to like it but then he just becomes angry bitter Spoony and hate plays it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Seems like a lot of people liked that game a whole lot. Supposedly it's like playing a 80's slasher flick.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

achillesforever6 posted:

Watching Spoony playing Until Dawn is pretty sad because at the beginning it seems to like it but then he just becomes angry bitter Spoony and hate plays it

At least it's not his MGSV playthrough. How someone could get so bent out of shape about Paz's cutesy tapes is beyond me. At least he had the correct reaction to Quiet's really dumb explanation.

OF COURSE SHE DOES.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So Lupa when are you gonna review this beauty

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

At least it's not his MGSV playthrough. How someone could get so bent out of shape about Paz's cutesy tapes is beyond me. At least he had the correct reaction to Quiet's really dumb explanation.

OF COURSE SHE DOES.

To be fair, her voice acting sounds worse than it did in Peace Walker. I wasn't a fan either.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jimbot posted:

I wasn't a fan either.

See that's fine, but boy did he get weirdly upset over it is the thing :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Yardbomb posted:

...but boy did he get weirdly upset over it...

Spoony.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The best part about writing about movies is when I find something that’s very weird and very fun, and I get to share it with you. That’s exactly what I get to do today, as I write about Communist Hungary’s greatest rock opera, Stephen the King!

(No, I don’t know why the italics are messed up in the review.)

• Locked thread