Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My problem with uplay is that it's loving buggy and likes to do things such as run ten copies of itself in task manager and nothing will run right until you kill all of them. And the servers are constantly going down. And it does absolutely nothing that steam doesn't already do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Orv posted:

You should be dragged out and shot.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Orv posted:

You should be dragged out and shot.

Hey gently caress you, buddy. If the friendly AI and Menus weren't total garbage, that game would've been legit. The models were good, the animations were good, movement and gun mechanics were good, the core gameplay was exactly like Raven Shield and the level design was awesome. The developers just hosed up the game's front end (i.e. menus). Did you see the game's post-mortem on youtube? The head guy basically explained that it all went to poo poo because he had no idea what Steam was, he got diagnosed with cancer or whatever halfway through the project, and then got hosed up in a car accident shortly after, so he was in the hospital for like a year or two while the internet was all pissed off at him. I feel bad for the guy.

I actually wrote an effortpost about takedown red sabre like a year ago, in case anyone cares and has archives access: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645263

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Love Stole the Day posted:

The models were good, the animations were good, movement and gun mechanics were good, the core gameplay was exactly like Raven Shield and the level design was awesome. The developers just hosed up the game's front end (i.e. menus).

:stare: It's okay to not like Siege we don't have to write Takedown fanfic.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

:stare: It's okay to not like Siege we don't have to write Takedown fanfic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yzyGPfIcEA&t=20s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dvsilverwing posted:

Both of those things were in the alpha, but changed for the beta. I guess they wanted to get feedback on different things than the alpha, because they also took off the plane map which I quite liked.
Yeah I looked at some footage from the Alpha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPbKnTwY_E4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPERcDyXrlY

- The plane map! (Why is it gone?)
- Heartbeat Sensor was "OP" and appears to have a pretty long range (so nerfed for the Beta I assume?)
- Barricades could be reinforced - I guess this plus the jammer and electrification could theoretically lead to unbreachable locations so they took it out?
- MOBA style operatives are in, but less of them and some are different
- The "Castle" defender operative appears to be the one who can place those special reinforced barricades?
- The "Ash" attacker operative has a "breach launcher" that appears to fire a breaching charge at a distance from a gernade launcher
- The "Thatcher" attacker operative has an EMP gernade that disables electronics
- Trapdoors being the only breachable floors are in, one of the house trapdoors appears to be in a different location?
- The garage side door in the house has the magic shelf now, but rollerdrones get in through a separate tiny drone opening
- The house roof still lets you place breaching charges on it, but they don't do anything
- Map screens are much clearer and feature clearly demarcated rooms? Is there any way to get this on the Beta map screens?

Also something I missed from the original reveal trailer:

- Defenders could use the deployable shields as personal shields before putting them down! Has anyone ever tried this in a multiplayer game? Holding the shield out with G or whatever and seeing if it blocked bullets?

Dvsilverwing posted:

And yes, if you buy through Steam, launch the game through Steam, no Uplay required. I know people that skipped on Far Cry 4 specifically to avoid Uplay. I don't hate Uplay that much even though it's kind of a nuisance to deal with, but a lot of people absolutely hate it.
That is a nice thing to wish for, but seriously, has any game ever supported two multiplayer codebases at the same time like that?

Sure some games exchanged GFWL for Steamworks, but that's only because GFWL was dying, they didn't support both at once.

You might as well wish Valve were making this so it would be Steamworks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It should be noted that maps and operatives that will be in the final product aren't in the beta. The plane map will absolutely make a comeback because it was in the previous beta, as well as more operatives than we have now

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 2, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It should be noted that maps and operatives that will be in the final product aren't in the beta. The plane map will absolutely make a comeback because it was in the previous beta, as well as more operatives than we have now

Good because defending some rooms without castle is almost impossible if the attackers know what they're doing.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Looking at that, Heathrow = airplane level, i don't think we're going to be running around terminals/ATC towers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I will admit, while the idea of attacking a plane is pretty cool it kinda gets let down in gameplay. The entire thing is basically just a one-level corridor for obvious reasons apart from some multilevel stuff in the cargo and cockpit, but the bombs generally end up planted in the middle where they are most defensible so it just turns into a shootout most of the time. I can see it being a lot more fun with things like hostages or thunt or something though

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The fun of the plane level is, ostensibly, fighting around, ontop, under, in the terminal next to it, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

The fun of the plane level is, ostensibly, fighting around, ontop, under, in the terminal next to it, etc.

In theory, yes, but in practice everyone just throws the bomb in the board room and camps the stairways/doorways

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Keket posted:

Looking at that, Heathrow = airplane level, i don't think we're going to be running around terminals/ATC towers.

No, the luggage transport belts will be broken and you will be confined to a 3 hour Easyjet queue to find out where your luggage got lost

:rimshot:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Ahdinko posted:

No, the luggage transport belts will be broken and you will be confined to a 3 hour Easyjet queue to find out where your luggage got lost

:rimshot:

I have to travel through there every day for work, there isn't 20 people watching it all happen whilst chain smoking so i actually think I'm wrong, it cant be Heathrow.

Also from the videos it seems like there's 3 complete levels, if you're not counting the underside/top of the plane, I swear i saw a video of someone getting in under the plane and on the top (Not the wing).

Upper vents system, seating, cargo, with possibly another level of seating if its a 747.

Hopefully they start to show off the other levels, as there's 11 in total and we only know of 4(?)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Orv
May 4, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

Hey gently caress you, buddy. If the friendly AI and Menus weren't total garbage, that game would've been legit. The models were good, the animations were good, movement and gun mechanics were good, the core gameplay was exactly like Raven Shield and the level design was awesome. The developers just hosed up the game's front end (i.e. menus). Did you see the game's post-mortem on youtube? The head guy basically explained that it all went to poo poo because he had no idea what Steam was, he got diagnosed with cancer or whatever halfway through the project, and then got hosed up in a car accident shortly after, so he was in the hospital for like a year or two while the internet was all pissed off at him. I feel bad for the guy.

I actually wrote an effortpost about takedown red sabre like a year ago, in case anyone cares and has archives access: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645263

You're actually insane.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sometimes I wonder why they make grenade indicators so obvious. Then I see stuff like this

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Had one hour of freetime to play this game, played 2 rounds. The rest of the time matchmaking either got me into games that had just started, so I sat there watching idiots camp corners for 10+m until the game disconnected me, or it strait up sent me into bugged lobbies with either one dude not loading the level or the whole lobby crashing.

It didn't do that for the first few days so I'm going to assume it's because they sent a fuckton of codes to people but still.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just realized yesterday that gmail put my code in a different tab and I've had it since the 25th. Just installed it last night (PS4) so I might try playing some this weekend. I'm really bad at games like this, but I was a big fan of the first 3 RB6 games on pc.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Group starting on CTS now, get in the butts.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I don't know what happened but I finally had the game pop up on UPlay, let's do this

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

- The "Castle" defender operative appears to be the one who can place those special reinforced barricades?
- The "Ash" attacker operative has a "breach launcher" that appears to fire a breaching charge at a distance from a gernade launcher
- The "Thatcher" attacker operative has an EMP gernade that disables electronics

Possibly for balance reasons or just so people have something different to test. Personally, I think IQ has one of the weakest abilities overall, but I can see how the ability to spot electronics would complement someone playing Thatcher relatively well. The breach launcher was also easy mode kills when it was available, if I remember correctly it wasn't even a timed thing or a detonated one, I think I remember it just blowing the wall up when you shot it like a grenade launcher more or less, but with splash damage only on one side (straight ahead). Then again, it has been awhile since the Alpha.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dvsilverwing posted:

Possibly for balance reasons or just so people have something different to test. Personally, I think IQ has one of the weakest abilities overall, but I can see how the ability to spot electronics would complement someone playing Thatcher relatively well. The breach launcher was also easy mode kills when it was available, if I remember correctly it wasn't even a timed thing or a detonated one, I think I remember it just blowing the wall up when you shot it like a grenade launcher more or less, but with splash damage only on one side (straight ahead). Then again, it has been awhile since the Alpha.

IQ isn't that great for multiplayer, but for thunt in a communicating team she is incredibly valuable because the terrorists tend to completely blanket the map with surprise C4 and she can spot them

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

IQ isn't that great for multiplayer, but for thunt in a communicating team she is incredibly valuable because the terrorists tend to completely blanket the map with surprise C4 and she can spot them

Fair enough.

Also MM may be hosed for PvP... again. Seems like I get 5 players on my team rather fast, but then never get anyone on the other team.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
What CTS channel is everyone using? I don't see a Rainbow Six room.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Triggs posted:

What CTS channel is everyone using? I don't see a Rainbow Six room.
Buttes, one of the first channels in the miscellaneous section in the end.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I don't think I've ever tried to throw back a grenade. I generally just run away.

Edit: Please let me gather up all of Fuze's mini grenades in my arms and toss them out a window at someone.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

You guys get that this is a beta right? Not everything is in game like maps. Holy hell.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Starting up a game, we've got room for two

Dead Like Rev fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 3, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I wont be home for another 1;45 :(

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

I wont be home for another 1;45 :(

We're still short one so

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

After finally getting a good host and squad to chew through Terrorist Hunt matches I never realized how much I needed the ability to spend my money inside the match.

Also here is more friend codes for PC:
code:
M7Y6-CXRT-4M8E-3XVF
EANR-69RQ-8WVM-XGUA
CALX-BNAF-TE4K-9NHW
C3B3-D3WX-NWFY-6WTA

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Maybe I'm being dumb but what's the proper way to counter ballistic shields? Go for headshots? Focus on flanking? It's already to the point where Multiplayer isn't fun anymore because there's often two people on the other team that just steamroll my entire team with shields so I just go and play thunt anymore.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dvsilverwing posted:

Edit: Please let me gather up all of Fuze's mini grenades in my arms and toss them out a window at someone.

If you could hit the grenades away through a well-timed shield bash, this would be GotY.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Maybe I'm being dumb but what's the proper way to counter ballistic shields? Go for headshots? Focus on flanking? It's already to the point where Multiplayer isn't fun anymore because there's often two people on the other team that just steamroll my entire team with shields so I just go and play thunt anymore.

They are indeed broken, if they're not fixed by release then I don't know what to say.

Also those teams are doing it wrong, there should be three shields.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

Go around them if you can, bash holes in walls too

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

Get someone to distract the shield and make him focus on them, then shoot him in the rear end, or my favorite... throw your nitro cell onto his face

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Shields aren't actually that powerful. They are if you're an idiot and charge straight into them, but there's always a better way to kill them than that. Use cameras to find where they are, shoot them through walls, set traps or just shoot through their visor. Enough bullets will break it and kill him.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Plus don't forget that shields have to be on the aggressive, so they have to come to you. Set traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
All alone in butts, come play some early morning pewpew with me!

• Locked thread