Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed "The Doctor's Wife". I wasn't really familiar with Neil Gaiman at the time beyond recognising his name, but I've since read a couple of his books and I liked them a lot as well.

Even so, it's a bit disappointing that he managed to write one episode I think is one of the best, and one that I'm sure a lot of people think may be one of the weakest ("Nightmare In Silver"). It's certainly one of the most disappointing (the two episodes of the revival I personally consider the worst in the sense that they're my least favourites are the two I think are most disappointing; "The End of Time" and "Let's Kill Hitler").

Nightmare in Silver could have been good if not for the literally shoehorned children characters added because he was forced to add them. If it was purely just the Doctor versus the Cybermen and anything that connected to the children cut out and filled in with stuff to make the A and B plot better, it might have been one of the better episodes of that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Literally shoehorned.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

Literally shoehorned.

(giant shoehorn left over from Planet of Giants)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndyElusive posted:

Other than The Doctor's Wife, what other agreed upon worthwhile episodes were there in Series 6? Am I forgetting some because I honestly can't think of many. The God Complex, maybe? Let's Kill Hitler? :v:

Let's Kill Hitler isn't so bad as long as you ignore everything before Mels turns into River. Well, everything except Rory. Rory is good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angela Christine posted:

Let's Kill Hitler isn't so bad as long as you ignore everything before Mels turns into River. Well, everything except Rory. Rory is good.

But those parts with Mels are so, so bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

It didn't occur to me until now but yeah, tooling around in Davros's chair is very Matt Smith-esque silliness, with the speech about Who Will Dare Tell Me Clara Is Dead being very Matt Smith-eque suddenly going dead serious. It had kind of bugged me as well that they seem to be doing away with Twelve's dickier aspects, now he's all about hugging and compassion. I hope as the series goes on they bring back the character who helped a bunch of people escape from monsters and then as soon as they were safe said "bye" and peaced out

Yeah this sums it up pretty well. Also this line was extremely Smith:

quote:

Have you seen the state of this place? I mean, this is exactly where you dump a smelly old uncle / family pet / genius scientist who couldn’t even invent legs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon both look fantastic and have a lot of really amazing individual bits but just don't quite hold up as a whole, either as single episodes or a two-parter. The Doctor's Wife is great, The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People are too, Night Terrors was better than I remembered it being, The Girl Who Waited and The God Complex are both excellent, while the main "story" episodes like Good Man Goes to War, Let's Kill Hitler and Wedding of River Song have their strong points rather easily overshadowed by alot of pretty bad stuff - Let's Kill Hitler especially which looks pretty great and has some cool stuff in it, but holy poo poo is the bad stuff bad. Closing Time and Curse of the Black Spot are both kinda "eh", they don't really stand out in my memory at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rhyno posted:

But those parts with Mels are so, so bad.

Agreed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I actually liked Closing Time, it stands as honestly one of the better Cyberman episodes of the new series (which, yeah I know, doesn't say much). They aren't some monolithic force, marching their way into converting others and being a big scary army--not that I think there's anything wrong with that depiction of them necessarily, but very rarely do we get to see that smaller, more horror-focused part to them. They're just doing their own thing; uncompromising in doing so, they just keep chugging along, converting people because that's what they do.

It could have done better to fit into the story and be properly affecting, admittedly. Closing Time matches The Lodger in more than just the presence of Craig: they're both the story of the Doctor busting into some random dude's life, and largely solving the problem in the background while most of the story focuses on interpersonal stuff, until we let both parts of the story crash through into each other at the end, letting one of them solve the other. The Cybermen don't manage to hold up their side of that; they do an admirable job, but they really don't get to sell the resolution. It could've worked if they pushed Craig's conversion a little harder, but as it stands it just doesn't really work.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon both look fantastic and have a lot of really amazing individual bits but just don't quite hold up as a whole, either as single episodes or a two-parter. The Doctor's Wife is great, The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People are too, Night Terrors was better than I remembered it being, The Girl Who Waited and The God Complex are both excellent, while the main "story" episodes like Good Man Goes to War, Let's Kill Hitler and Wedding of River Song have their strong points rather easily overshadowed by alot of pretty bad stuff - Let's Kill Hitler especially which looks pretty great and has some cool stuff in it, but holy poo poo is the bad stuff bad. Closing Time and Curse of the Black Spot are both kinda "eh", they don't really stand out in my memory at all.

Welp, this has helped jog my memory on the quality of series 6 as a whole. Looks like I'll be doing some binge watching after tomorrows episode.

Angela Christine posted:

I never ignore Rory.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TinTower posted:

Just expanding this further:

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Davros! And I am the creator of the beasts incarnate, THE. DALEKS!!!!"

ska-ro ci-ty clap clap clapclap oh god you shot me I'm dead

Also:

quote:

I'm here! You're here! Let's. EXTERMINAAAATE?!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

(giant shoehorn left over from Planet of Giants)

The kind with teeth?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The God Complex is great, as are all stories featuring Lord Nimon. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trin Tragula posted:

The kind with teeth?

If you believe that somebody should beat you up.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

2house2fly posted:

It didn't occur to me until now but yeah, tooling around in Davros's chair is very Matt Smith-esque silliness, with the speech about Who Will Dare Tell Me Clara Is Dead being very Matt Smith-eque suddenly going dead serious.

I thought it was a generally Doctor-ish thing to do since he wasn't taking the situation seriously and irritated the enemies. It was better than the interminable scenes with Davros.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

I was hoping it would convey that Gaiman doesn't play things completely straight. You could read that short story as just a funny bit of nonsense, or you could read it as a commentary on how men or specifically boys perceive women and sexuality. He superficially indulges in Freudian daydreams and wish-fulfillment, but it never feels quite right.

Does the Doctor really get a super cool time machine wife, or did the mad Doctor actually get stolen by a mad woman box? At first glance, it absolutely seems like Gaiman tries to indulge in the stereotypes that are expected from this relationship. In practice, the Tardis actually turns out to be quite in control, though. She claims to have stolen the Doctor, and she clues him in on House's trap. Even when he calls her unreliable, she immediately throws back at him: "(No, but) I always took you where you needed to go." Gaiman does a lot of smart things with the relationship between the Tardis and the Doctor. Most importantly though, all of it makes perfect sense for the dynamic between them as eternal companions.

Here's something a bit more academic by Emily Capettini, if you want to read more about feminism and sex. In case that link doesn't work properly, the text is called: "A Boy and his box off to see the universe". Madness, Power and Sex in "The Doctor's Wife".

I get that those stories had a deeper, non-literal meaning. The episode was about the relationship between the Doctor and the TARDIS, just as the story was about how lads perceive lasses, and both are about communication between the sexes, and so on et cetera. Maybe what I've not communicated is that the starting question, what if the relationship between the Doctor and the TARDIS is like a longstanding human-interpersonal relationship, just wasn't of interest to me at the time. Fundamentally, I wasn't buying what Gaiman was selling. Why would the relation between those two persons manifest itself in such a normal way? It seems like a dull place to take the exploration, even though I'll acknowledge that I can't think of anything that I would've preferred.

I wasn't super keen on the (as I remember) twee or self-consciously quirky (not sure I can actually put a good name to it) style that the costume design, dialogue, and even the naming scheme of the secondary characters had. Maybe that put against it from the start, probably unfairly, I can't be certain. I still mean to rewatch it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

Nightmare in Silver could have been good if not for the literally shoehorned children characters added because he was forced to add them. If it was purely just the Doctor versus the Cybermen and anything that connected to the children cut out and filled in with stuff to make the A and B plot better, it might have been one of the better episodes of that series.

Perhaps so. What I've also heard is that Gaiman understood the kid characters would be included, but he thought they'd have been the Victorian kids from "The Snowmen" for whom Clara had been governess.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, he wrote the episode back when Victorian Clara was still the companion, so her kids made slightly more sense. So Nightmare was a rush rewrite, along with the script getting hacked to pieces anyway in production. IIRC, Gaiman wasn't pleased at all with the finished product.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stabbatical posted:

I wasn't super keen on the (as I remember) twee or self-consciously quirky (not sure I can actually put a good name to it) style that the costume design, dialogue, and even the naming scheme of the secondary characters had. Maybe that put against it from the start, probably unfairly, I can't be certain. I still mean to rewatch it.

I'd like to think that Gaiman does a beautiful job of justifiying every aspect of the episode. From the odd family to the makeshift, ancient look of the characters' outfits, everything ties into the overarching themes of relationships, family and home.

When you get around to rewatching it, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Perhaps so. What I've also heard is that Gaiman understood the kid characters would be included, but he thought they'd have been the Victorian kids from "The Snowmen" for whom Clara had been governess.

It's really strange that they keep bringing back children as recurring characters. First it's those two kids, then it's Courtney Woods for series 8. Maybe they'll have more luck with confirmed talented actress Maisie Williams.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

And More posted:

It's really strange that they keep bringing back children as recurring characters. First it's those two kids, then it's Courtney Woods for series 8. Maybe they'll have more luck with confirmed talented actress Maisie Williams.

They should have more recurring child characters...then have Moffat pull an Earthshock :getin:

I wish there was a bit more variety in companions, to be honest. An alien, or someone from the future or past - something other than a 21st century twentysomething Earthgirl.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Make Missy a full-time companion

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How come the companion was changed from Victorian Clara, anyway?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

How come the companion was changed from Victorian Clara, anyway?

I *THINK* it was to make her more relatable. Which is a dumb reason.

I think that was the reason given though.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wish there was a bit more variety in companions, to be honest. An alien, or someone from the future or past - something other than a 21st century twentysomething Earthgirl.

Now, at the 21st century, we have the knowledge and power to recreate Kamelion

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kikka posted:

Oh God why would we ever do that I don't want Moffat to die

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kikka posted:

wiki posted:

Later, Kamelion and the TARDIS had a child together, which was raised by the Sixth Doctor and Peri Brown. It developed into a double of Peri and took her place on Earth while the real Peri travelled with the Doctor.

Doctor Who is weird.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

And More posted:

Doctor Who is weird.

Robonipples.

Just to add to the weird factor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

And More posted:

Doctor Who is kind of a show for all ages, so I don't really understand why it's strange to include children as characters in a show about the adventures of a mad man with a blue box.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

Doctor Who is kind of a show for all ages, so I don't really understand why it's strange to include children as characters in a show about the adventures of a mad man with a blue box.

Because and this is important

Children do not want to see children on TV.

They don't. They really don't.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndyElusive posted:

It is hard to find a skilled actor who is also a child. It's possible for a child to be a good actor, but mostly children are busy learning how to be human rather than perfecting the craft of theatre. Nobody wants to watch a bad actor, regardless of age.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Interesting start at least, even if the (don't call it a spaceship) spaceship looked like something out of the early days of Star Trek: TNG.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
That is the stupidest possible way to control a submarine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't realize this was a 2-parter :gonk:

Edit: Kind of an odd episode, I kept feeling like there was something more going on and it was going to come to the fore at any point, and it moved at a good enough pace that I wasn't really aware of the time and didn't realize it was a 2-parter right up until it ended (there's something going on with the deaf lady refusing to let her translator into the ship). Like The Magician's Apprentice I think I won't really be able to get a read on this until the 2nd part has aired, and hopefully it doesn't feel as detached from its first part as The Witch's Familiar did.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 3, 2015

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't realize this was a 2-parter :gonk:

I seem to recall that most of this season is 2-parters?

Pretty good episode, getting Waters of Mars flashbacks though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ha, as soon as they said "a new ghost" there was only one person it could be. Episode overall felt a bit light, but family kept distracting me so I only got the bare bones of the plot anyway; see how it feels on a rewatch later.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed it - it felt a lot like a Tom Baker type episode to me. For some reason it made me think of "The Ark In Space"?

Or maybe even one of the old Troughton base-under-siege stories?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:allears: That was so much better than the last episode; everything felt pretty tight - I know it's a typical base-under-siege type story, but it's told extremely well.
Also I like Capaldi being more arsey. Arsey irritable Capaldi is the best Capaldi.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed it - it felt a lot like a Tom Baker type episode to me. For some reason it made me think of "The Ark In Space"?

Or maybe even one of the old Troughton base-under-siege stories?

Yeah, agreed, it had that old Who sorta vibe to it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That was an okay episode. The ghosts looked spooky enough, but apart from that I didnt see anything about it to really love or really hate. Not a massive fan of travelling back in time during the episode to get a resolution, but it depends how the resolution comes off, as with most stuff. So yeah, a decent enough if unremarkable episode.

Acne Rain posted:

The Tardis at least since the beginning of the revival onwards has been shown to be alive and intelligent (maybe in the classic too idk) 2) That living machine has

If I remember right the second story of the classic series at least implies that the TARDIS was capable of independent thoughts and actions.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Liked that psychic paper making Doctor just be himself considering the context of the people in the base. Hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

If I remember right the second story of the classic series at least implies that the TARDIS was capable of independent thoughts and actions.

Yep (well, it was the third story), in fact we had basically this same conversation in the previous thread and while some people disagree as to what he meant by it, I was always struck by Ian proclaiming the TARDIS felt "alive" in the very first episode of the show.

Teek posted:

Liked that psychic paper making Doctor just be himself considering the context of the people in the base. Hah.

"You're from UNIT!"
".....if that's what it says!"

• Locked thread