Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

megalodong posted:

I have a question I can't find any real info about anywhere:

HQ gear, from what I can see, gets about 25% extra defense compared to NQ, and something like 11-12% extra weapon damage. The other stats don't go up by any set amount, but I read that an HQ piece has "capped" stats, meaning you couldn't boost them any more with materia and would have to use a different stat materia on it.

What difference does the equipment colour make? As far as I can tell, the various pink/green/blue colours all just seem to be statted as if they were HQ gear of the same ilvl:

e.g. Yeti Staff vs High Allagan Staff

The HQ yeti staff has equal magic damage, equal int, equal vit, more crit, and 23 det instead of 46 spell speed. It also has 2 materia slots. Is the det vs spell speed difference big enough to justify it being "blue", or is it more like current WOW where item rarity is nothing more than an indicator of how "hard" it is to get the item.

Aetherial gear for example is literally HQ gear with 3 extra stats. Same ilvl, same required level to equip.

In 2.x determination was almost universally the best substat and by a good margin too, so it had a lower stat cap. Don't compare it to the 46 stats. It's the second substat so compare it to the crit, since both have another 46 point stat. So in this case its 32 crit traded for 23 det, which at 110 isn't crazy at all.

The yeti staff can also be melded with extra spellspeed and is potentially the strongest weapon at that ilevel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

do I want to start going for the perfect bird now then? im only on g2. sorry im a big noob about this, thanks for taking the time to answer!

I'm going to link this guide because he answers your question way better than I ever can. I'm personally just trying to breed some good birds but not go crazy getting perfect ones yet. I just want to get to get a P9 bird asap (so I can get the chocobo mask :shobon:) and plan on going back and imbreeding from whichever covering seems to have the best stats. No idea if this is a good idea or not but... I really want that mask!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
PLDs:

How does Fight or Flight interact with my DoTs? If I apply Goring Blade and Circle of Scorn, then Fight or Flight, will the damage buff apply to the DoT ticks? Or do I need FoF up before applying the DoT for it to boost my ticks?

What happens if FoF expires before my DoT runs out?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

All DOT damage is determined by your and the target's status at the time of application. This is commonly known as snapshotting. If you're under the effect of FOF and apply a DOT, it will be 30% stronger for its entire duration, even if FOF falls off before the DOT does. If you apply a DOT and then pop FOF, the DOT damage won't be affected unless you reapply it while under the effect of FOF.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just tried DRK for the 1st time.

I immediately regret leveling PLD to 60.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Now try warrior.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
(Fell) Cleave Rules Everything Around Me

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Now try dragoon running bloodbath and foresight because the level 43 gladiator adamantly refuses to do anything but spam the first move in their threat combo

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
0% wipe/enrage on A4S. If only my monk crit the bootshine. :negative:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ARR hunts being ignored. Decided why not see if I can solo it at 60 as an AST?

Halfway there

That was actually pretty fun :getin:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I tried soloing one of those on my nin once. As it turns out, the crab near aleport stacks a damage debuff and he killed me eventually.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

bleuraindrops posted:

I'm going to link this guide because he answers your question way better than I ever can. I'm personally just trying to breed some good birds but not go crazy getting perfect ones yet. I just want to get to get a P9 bird asap (so I can get the chocobo mask :shobon:) and plan on going back and imbreeding from whichever covering seems to have the best stats. No idea if this is a good idea or not but... I really want that mask!

Ohhh how did i miss this... thanks! i think i got the hang of it now. pro bird here i come!

also the mask is amazing and a noble goal, so i approve of your endeavors

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Leal posted:

ARR hunts being ignored. Decided why not see if I can solo it at 60 as an AST?

Halfway there

That was actually pretty fun :getin:

Yesterday I managed to get credit for two S-ranks I hadn't killed yet, so yay for random achievement progress. :v: I was surprised there were even enough people available on a Thursday morning for hunts, let alone ARR hunts.

I have SMN at 60 with some decent gear, so I'll have to keep an eye out for old A's I haven't killed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of SMN, I just hit 60 and got Deathflare. What's the best way to effectively use Dreadwyrm Trance?

So far, this is the rotation that I'm using for mobs trying to max AOE damage:

Quelling Strikes -> (Swiftcast) Shadow Flare -> Painflare -> Tri-Disaster -> Contagion -> Bane -> Ruin spam -> Painflare (when ready) -> a little bit more ruin spam to take advantage of AA's long clock -> Dreadwyrm Trance

In Dreadwyrm, should I just be ruin 3 spamming until the last couple of seconds when I fire off Deathflare? If my DoTs fall off in Dreadwyrm, should I reapply them?

Dreadwyrm Trance really changes things up, which is a nice change of pace.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I just hit 60 on mine, too. My static's summoner said that you should save tri-disaster for dreadwyrm trance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of SMN, I just hit 60 and got Deathflare. What's the best way to effectively use Dreadwyrm Trance?

So far, this is the rotation that I'm using for mobs trying to max AOE damage:

Quelling Strikes -> (Swiftcast) Shadow Flare -> Painflare -> Tri-Disaster -> Contagion -> Bane -> Ruin spam -> Painflare (when ready) -> a little bit more ruin spam to take advantage of AA's long clock -> Dreadwyrm Trance

In Dreadwyrm, should I just be ruin 3 spamming until the last couple of seconds when I fire off Deathflare? If my DoTs fall off in Dreadwyrm, should I reapply them?

Dreadwyrm Trance really changes things up, which is a nice change of pace.

Fister Roboto posted:

All DOT damage is determined by your and the target's status at the time of application. This is commonly known as snapshotting. If you're under the effect of FOF and apply a DOT, it will be 30% stronger for its entire duration, even if FOF falls off before the DOT does. If you apply a DOT and then pop FOF, the DOT damage won't be affected unless you reapply it while under the effect of FOF.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just hit 60 on mine, too. My static's summoner said that you should save tri-disaster for dreadwyrm trance.

The synergy behind DWT and tri-disaster is from dot snapshotting. When you hit DWT you get a damage bonus, the damage bonus applied to the dots will remain for the duration of the dot. That means in your opener you can stack raging strikes and DWT for some crazy damaging dots. Throw in contagion and make your crazy buffed bio ii last 40s. Always update your dots if they're about to go off, but that should only occur during the second DWT of a pull. All others should have tri disaster up to be reapplied.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
You can fit a tri disaster and swiftcasted shadowflare within DWT, as well as two ruin 3s. Which offers more potency than just spamming Ruin 3s.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If it's an AOE group, is it worth it within DT to use contagion and bane it to others (provided I have the aetherstack)?

edit: upon thinking about it, while it'd be good to get that out, it steals a stack in DT which means it's gonna take a lot longer to get back into it most likely, so probably not.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 2, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

The synergy behind DWT and tri-disaster is from dot snapshotting. When you hit DWT you get a damage bonus, the damage bonus applied to the dots will remain for the duration of the dot. That means in your opener you can stack raging strikes and DWT for some crazy damaging dots. Throw in contagion and make your crazy buffed bio ii last 40s. Always update your dots if they're about to go off, but that should only occur during the second DWT of a pull. All others should have tri disaster up to be reapplied.

Don't hard cast DOT's during DWT, it's a potency loss. Don't cast SF during DWT it's a potency loss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
From what I gather, hardcast dots to start while weaving in painflare, an energy drain (or bane), and a fester, pop raging, go into DWT, tri-disaster, ruin III a few times, then finish with deathflare. Afterwards, maintain dots/shadowflare, use new stacks on festers while DWT is on cooldown, and then DWT again when it's up. Is this mostly right?

Also just looking at cooldowns it seems like you should only ever use tri-disaster in DWT on boss fights which should line up for all of them except the first two (assuming you start a fight with three stacks and have aetherflow off cooldown).

EDIT:
If your characters name is in the list below, you have a capped bird in the TPT stable. Take them out and kill a monster so they can rank up.

Rafzakael Talket
Kevsop Sjet
Cyrus Weatherbee
Miyako Tsuki
Ducat Dragonzord
Plati Prime
Kiu Kyu
Lobster Wheel
Rania Giroux
Temujin Tumet
Chitoge Verossa
Thatrobotfrom Rockyiv
Ulgrim Longshanks
Reinette Bamponcet
Dimon Gosforth
Enchilada Night
Kharagal Malqir
Pieter Koelers
Karsh Alstar
Vicious Delicious
Ceraphi Ilyara
A'gnira Dhio
Walahfrid Thorne

25 of the 47 birds in the box are capped (23 above and two of our rank 20s). Don't forget to feed other people's birds when you stop by!

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 2, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

From what I gather, hardcast dots to start while weaving in painflare, an energy drain (or bane), and a fester, pop raging, go into DWT, tri-disaster, ruin III a few times, then finish with deathflare. Afterwards, maintain dots/shadowflare, use new stacks on festers while DWT is on cooldown, and then DWT again when it's up. Is this mostly right?

Also just looking at cooldowns it seems like you should only ever use tri-disaster in DWT on boss fights which should line up for all of them except the first two (assuming you start a fight with three stacks and have aetherflow off cooldown).

EDIT:
If your characters name is in the list below, you have a capped bird in the TPT stable. Take them out and kill a monster so they can rank up.

Rafzakael Talket
Kevsop Sjet
Cyrus Weatherbee
Miyako Tsuki
Ducat Dragonzord
Plati Prime
Kiu Kyu
Lobster Wheel
Rania Giroux
Temujin Tumet
Chitoge Verossa
Thatrobotfrom Rockyiv
Ulgrim Longshanks
Reinette Bamponcet
Dimon Gosforth
Enchilada Night
Kharagal Malqir
Pieter Koelers
Karsh Alstar
Vicious Delicious
Ceraphi Ilyara
A'gnira Dhio
Walahfrid Thorne

25 of the 47 birds in the box are capped (23 above and two of our rank 20s). Don't forget to feed other people's birds when you stop by!

You should try to put 2 festers into a DWT. Then space the third out so that Aetherflow, Contagion and Tri-Disaster all come off cooldown at the same time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Nice! posted:

EDIT:

Rafzakael Talket
Kevsop Sjet
Cyrus Weatherbee
Miyako Tsuki
Ducat Dragonzord
Plati Prime
Kiu Kyu
Lobster Wheel
Rania Giroux
Temujin Tumet
Chitoge Verossa
Thatrobotfrom Rockyiv
Ulgrim Longshanks
Reinette Bamponcet
Dimon Gosforth
Enchilada Night
Kharagal Malqir
Pieter Koelers
Karsh Alstar
Vicious Delicious
Ceraphi Ilyara
A'gnira Dhio
Walahfrid Thorne

I'm aware of Poblanas, but thanks. He was at like 85% when I logged off last night :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

Don't hard cast DOT's during DWT, it's a potency loss. Don't cast SF during DWT it's a potency loss.

He's talking about aoe damage so ruin iii can actually be less potency than even a miasma ii.

Heres the sperginess for single target courtesy reddit. Skip to page 38 unless you love :words:

Yes you do have 15s to hit ruin ii repeatedly in the middle of the rotation. Feel free to run circles around the BLM while doing it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Feel free to run circles around the BLM while doing it.
I'll gladly take no bard over your running around in circles.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
My FC has been getting Dusk Leather for a while now, we had been using them to stock the coffers but we've decided to start distributing tabards now.

It's fantastic and I love it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The nice bit is that Dreadwyrm Trance, Contagion, and Tri-Disaster all have a cooldown/effective cooldown of 60 seconds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KaneTW posted:

I'll gladly take no bard over your running around in circles.

And then the boss disappears and you have to do mechanics and you lose enochian and ley lines. But guess what? Those dots are still ticking!* :getin:

mechanics may vary from fight to fight

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

For people who use FF Logs, is there a trick to uploading your logs? I'm playing around with it now and was only able to successfully upload one Oppressor clear out of a month worth of logs. When I tried to upload other clears, it only showed a wipe. Also it only loaded Oppressor but not Faust? I had my encounter intervals set to 20 (although just up'd it to 30) and will be manually clicking "end encounters" on ACT, but is there anything else I should be doing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hobbesmaster posted:

And then the boss disappears and you have to do mechanics and you lose enochian and ley lines. But guess what? Those dots are still ticking!* :getin:

mechanics may vary from fight to fight

Have you seen Thunder's potency lately?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You mean how its the same as bio?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For some reason I thought you were talking about bards, but yeah sure. At least Thundercloud can proc when the boss (depending) is doing poo poo, that's always nifty.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

bleuraindrops posted:

For people who use FF Logs, is there a trick to uploading your logs? I'm playing around with it now and was only able to successfully upload one Oppressor clear out of a month worth of logs. When I tried to upload other clears, it only showed a wipe. Also it only loaded Oppressor but not Faust? I had my encounter intervals set to 20 (although just up'd it to 30) and will be manually clicking "end encounters" on ACT, but is there anything else I should be doing?

I have this issue. I have a bunch of old, good parses but they aren't read by the client properly (logs that are recognized as Dravanian Hinterlands instead of Unknown 1c3, A2S considered incomplete even though it is, etc). Your best bet is to enable live logging and perform better than your best parses.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, remember Libra Eorzea? That cell phone app that you can use to look up gameplay information for no reason?

No?

Well, it just got updated for Heavensward!

Today!

No, it still doesn't do anything useful that you couldn't just use the Lodestone for.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Xenoveritas posted:

Hey, remember Libra Eorzea? That cell phone app that you can use to look up gameplay information for no reason?

No?

Today!

No, it still doesn't do anything useful that you couldn't just use the Lodestone for.

Every crafter was waiting on crafting as a service, which used that as its database, to update with it.

I think they eventually just used something else, but I know it wasn't updated for a while after release.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Best casual night crew.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 3, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tarranon posted:

Every crafter was waiting on crafting as a service, which used that as its database, to update with it.

I think they eventually just used something else, but I know it wasn't updated for a while after release.

Aye, they got a dump from Garland iirc.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Xenoveritas posted:

No?

Today!

I'm unironically actually pretty happy for this because I used to use it remind myself of gear drops in dungeons and which boss dropped what since I don't have a dual monitor setup. Still haven't 100% gotten the rough drop lists down for the HW dungeons so it'll still be handy in that regard.

Sure, I could alt-tab but I can check my phone and keep fighting mobs at the same time. :v:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone done their 2.0 relic chain in 3.0, for glamours? I was wondering if there were any easier ways to do things introduced in HW. An FC mate said that certain fights or doing new maps can give you 100 light, though I dunno how true that is.

I still log in every day to chat with friends but the lack of things to work on is killing me

Jinh fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 3, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

UglyDucklett posted:

Has anyone done their 2.0 relic chain in 3.0, for glamours? I was wondering if there were any easier ways to do things introduced in HW. An FC mate said that certain fights or doing new maps can give you 100 light, though I dunno how true that is.

I still log in every day to chat with friends but the lack of things to work on is killing me
I'm on the second-to-last stage. Light is at 4x what it used to be, I don't think any HW content gives it. Drop rates on everything are great (atma is 25%, these items in the second-to-last stage are at least 33%), but it's still a huge grind. Also mysterious maps give 5 alexandrite each. It's way easier now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Death Dealer posted:

I'm unironically actually pretty happy for this because I used to use it remind myself of gear drops in dungeons and which boss dropped what since I don't have a dual monitor setup. Still haven't 100% gotten the rough drop lists down for the HW dungeons so it'll still be handy in that regard.

Sure, I could alt-tab but I can check my phone and keep fighting mobs at the same time. :v:

The Lodestone website has a mobile mode and works in mobile Safari just fine - you don't need Libra Eorzea to get that information. :ssh: (I'm assuming it also works on Android in Chrome but I don't have an Android phone to check with.)

• Locked thread