Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jeez, we have the perfectly clean stinger sound right here but everyone uses the one from the end of the game with the phone sound effect inside it - I think because that one's the top hit on youtube.

So, October 6th, update to the FOB system. What do you think we'll get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

In Paz's diary entries, she ultimately follows Cipher's orders because she is afraid of what will happen if she does not. But as Speedball said, it was retconned in Phantom Pain. Actually, a lot of stuff about Zero was retconned in Phantom Pain, since in MGS4, the game pretty much sets him up as the guy who started the whole thing out of malice. It isn't until we play Phantom Pain that we know that things got out of hand for him.

Thanks for the correction. (I mean that sincerely)

As to your part about retconning, I don't so much think of it as a retcon, but as an elaboration. See, AIs in fiction tend to represent systemic pressures codified, they remove the human element of systems to prevent the old "why did so few Germans oppose the Nazi's?" question. The idea that things got away from Zero was already present by the existence of these AIs (the system exceeding the control of any individual) and Zero being essentially a brain-dead invalid in a wheelchair. His specific motivations were not established as such, though given the actions of GW in 2 we can infer that he wanted a world without conflict, where the status quo went unchallenged. So I don't really think anything changed between 4 and V.

Big Boss says that Zero was bitter and that so was he, but this is as he is renouncing his own legacy and that of Zero. With hindsight of how their actions turned out, it's not surprising that he's a bit cynical about the whole thing. Again I don't have the script here so please correct me if I'm missing something obvious.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DaveKap posted:

Stable servers :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So if killing killing Snake with ZEKE was Skull Face's orders, what did Zero originally send her there to do?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

So if killing killing Snake with ZEKE was Skull Face's orders, what did Zero originally send her there to do?

Blackmail Snake and by extension MSF into working as Cipher's army. If he refused, she'd launch a nuke from ZEKE at the US.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The line before the "After that...wasn't me" was literally about Zero sending Paz there. Zero was saying that the attack on MSF wasn't him. Not sure how you guys can misunderstand that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Yeah Bro posted:

Thanks for the correction. (I mean that sincerely)

As to your part about retconning, I don't so much think of it as a retcon, but as an elaboration. See, AIs in fiction tend to represent systemic pressures codified, they remove the human element of systems to prevent the old "why did so few Germans oppose the Nazi's?" question. The idea that things got away from Zero was already present by the existence of these AIs (the system exceeding the control of any individual) and Zero being essentially a brain-dead invalid in a wheelchair. His specific motivations were not established as such, though given the actions of GW in 2 we can infer that he wanted a world without conflict, where the status quo went unchallenged. So I don't really think anything changed between 4 and V.

Big Boss says that Zero was bitter and that so was he, but this is as he is renouncing his own legacy and that of Zero. With hindsight of how their actions turned out, it's not surprising that he's a bit cynical about the whole thing. Again I don't have the script here so please correct me if I'm missing something obvious.

Seems right, although when Big Boss rolls Zero out, I always assumed that he was an invalid because he is pretty much old as poo poo. I mean he was loving old when Snake Eater took place. But now that Phantom Pain came out, we know that the parasites hosed him up a long time ago. According to Snake Eater, by the time MGS4 rolls around, he is 105. Holy poo poo.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Danaru posted:

Stable servers :(

We'll get Chapter 3/4/5/6 before we get that lol

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Seems right, although when Big Boss rolls Zero out, I always assumed that he was an invalid because he is pretty much old as poo poo. I mean he was loving old when Snake Eater took place. But now that Phantom Pain came out, we know that the parasites hosed him up a long time ago. According to Snake Eater, by the time MGS4 rolls around, he is 105. Holy poo poo.

No doubt, that's what I assumed too. But it still shows the organization getting away from him, as his body failed (by age as assumed, or by parasites as in V) the organization continued to operate as though nothing had changed. One just makes his invalidness a function of the organization getting away from him, whereas the other had it as (potentially) the cause of the organization becoming a self sustaining organism.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I did too. Dude was in his fifties in 1964.

The Boss would have saved everyone a lot of grief if she had just laid out a clear handwritten will of her vision. A simple 5 point plan or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Boss's secret message that Zero was supposed to receive after Snake Eater:

"Okay, look, when Jack gets back, he's going to say I said some weird poo poo. He is literally a 2nd grader in a killing machine's body, so don't believe his version of events. Here's what I actually want from the world, to be accomplished at your discretion: everyone friends with each other, no war, no crazy cripples running duping my sons into mercenary kickstarters, no omnipotent computer networks, and for the love of god NO GIANT ROBOTS."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Yeah Bro posted:

No doubt, that's what I assumed too. But it still shows the organization getting away from him, as his body failed (by age as assumed, or by parasites as in V) the organization continued to operate as though nothing had changed. One just makes his invalidness a function of the organization getting away from him, whereas the other had it as (potentially) the cause of the organization becoming a self sustaining organism.

Yeah, I think the misconception for me was exactly when that happened. We now know that it was somewhere around 1984.

In any case, my favorite part of that entire interaction is when Big Boss pretty much calls everyone from the old days, "fools". I also think it underscores how Ocelot isn't really much of a hero, especially when his intention was for everything to go to poo poo, and those that are weak can get hosed.

Funky Valentine posted:

The Boss's secret message that Zero was supposed to receive after Snake Eater:

"Okay, look, when Jack gets back, he's going to say I said some weird poo poo. He is literally a 2nd grader in a killing machine's body, so don't believe his version of events. Here's what I actually want from the world, to be accomplished at your discretion: everyone friends with each other, no war, no crazy cripples running duping my sons into mercenary kickstarters, no omnipotent computer networks, and for the love of god NO GIANT ROBOTS."

Actually it would say, "you are all dumb as poo poo if you can't live your lives for yourselves and you have to follow what I think is best for the world."

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Jeez, we have the perfectly clean stinger sound right here but everyone uses the one from the end of the game with the phone sound effect inside it - I think because that one's the top hit on youtube.

Disappointment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DaveKap posted:

I hope they give the defender a single respawn. That would make invading a lot less impossible when a defender shows up.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, I did too. Dude was in his fifties in 1964.

The Boss would have saved everyone a lot of grief if she had just laid out a clear handwritten will of her vision. A simple 5 point plan or something.

I really like this aspect of the Metal Gear series story, cuz the Boss doesn't really say anything too profound or significant. She professes some vague utopian desires and laments the arbitrariness of the cold war, of ideological conflict splitting the world. Yeah, it's a nice speech and a good thing to want, but there's not really any specifics or ideology to it, just the idea of a world united.

It's a blank slate onto which significance is discursively projected due to the events that contextualize it (her inevitable sacrifice for her nation and the fact that that sacrifice cannot be made known to the public, tarnishing her legacy). But by being this empty hope which has been constructed as profound allowed for it to be influential, but at the same time entirely up to interpretation. The Boss is transposed on to the concept of the ideal future (again, a blank slate) and thus any action taken towards either Zero or Big Boss's own ideal future is, correctly, understood and justified as "the Boss's will".

It's just this great ironic thing, and it fits with the themes of the series so well.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
There is one plot thread I kinda didn't get after beating the game and listening to all the Truth tapes. As far as I understand the plot, after GZ and the attack on MSF, which Zero and Big Boss, while neither is directly at fault for it, both are in some way responsible for it. Big Boss, Miller, and the Medic all end up at a hospital in Colombia I think, where Big Boss and Medic go into a coma. It's sometime after this that Zero gets into contact with Ocelot and Miller, and convinces Ocelot to go along with the plan to set up a phony Big Boss to throw Skull Face and crew off the track of the real Big Boss until Venom and Diamond Dogs bring down Skull Face. As far as I'm aware, this plan is completely of Zero's creation, and he basically presents Miller with a fait accompli, while not telling him the full story.

So after a number of years, Big Boss wakes up before Venom and is visited by Ocelot in the hospital on Cyprus, which is another part of Zero's plan. Ocelot tells him the plan and Big Boss agrees to put it into motion, because he's thinking of going beyond the idea of PFs into creating a new country based entirely on military power, which would turn into Zanzibar Land.

So why does Big Boss take the story's blame for the creation of Venom Snake? Is it just because if he didn't agree to it, Zero's plan would completely fall apart? I also don't know how it was Big Boss' fault that the hospital got attacked. It's entirely possible I missed something, though.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I don't think anyone ever mentioned to Big Boss that it's Zero's plan or that Zero wanted to bury the hatchet since he still thought Zero hated him in 4

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It occurs to me that the hospital holding Zero in MGS4 must have been extremely heavily guarded, and that Big Boss, moments after waking up from his nanomachine coma, sneaks into this hospital and extracts Zero, wheelchair and all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How did a ghost leave me tapes?!

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

How did a ghost leave me tapes?!

Venom recorded himself doing a Paz voice

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RatHat posted:

I hope they give the defender a single respawn. That would make invading a lot less impossible when a defender shows up.
I'm in the top 1500 now for Espionage Ranking and FOBs are just impossibly hosed at this level. Every player is good enough to clear a FOB undetected (or a hacker) and no defense settings will help in any way. I've tested this against my own FOB and I can pretty much get through it safely in <10min 80-90% of the time now because FOBs have massive security holes regardless of how you tweak them and guards are retarded and Battle Dress + Helmets/Sneaking Suit + Gas Masks are useless against the weapons that are good in FOBs (grenades, instant kill sniper rifles, shotguns). It seems like the in vogue thing to do now is depopulate the first platform for a couple minutes and then slowly depopulate the rest if no defender appears. But then if a defender does show up, the invader is hosed, they either get Fultoned out or they just run out of time.

So the situation is I'm guaranteed to lose any defense that no human responds to and cannot lose any defense that a human does respond to. This isn't really fun in either direction. I just have to pray I'm online or a Supporter is, or 15-25 Security Team guys get kidnapped plus 10+ from my core, it's almost certain. If they make it harder to defend, then I might as well set all my platforms to 0 guards so the worst case is that they steal their 10+ core dudes and don't keep murdering/kidnapping Security guys I have to go replace constantly. I also basically can't invade anyone because I need the blockade shield to last as long as humanly possible so Japanese and European people don't invade at 8-10 AM my time when I and most of my supporters are asleep or at work.

I'd support no Defender respawns if Reflex Mode is permanently disabled on FOBs, but otherwise invaders can get hosed because like every mission in the game once you memorize how it all works it's trivial to slip through it, and Reflex is too much of a crutch for a good player who will basically always kill the person who spotted them within the Reflex window.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

:allears:

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Ekusukariba posted:

I don't think anyone ever mentioned to Big Boss that it's Zero's plan or that Zero wanted to bury the hatchet since he still thought Zero hated him in 4

I assumed Zero wanting to bury the hatchet lead to Big Boss taking back Foxhound, only to feed his clone to Venom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Extraterrestrial doesn't necessarily mean alien you know.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the wildest rear end posted:

It occurs to me that the hospital holding Zero in MGS4 must have been extremely heavily guarded, and that Big Boss, moments after waking up from his nanomachine coma, sneaks into this hospital and extracts Zero, wheelchair and all.

he probably just killed everyone

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
maybe he had a leftover wormhole device

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

The guns he's using aren't Uragans. I'm not sure what RL gun the Uragan is supposed to be but the ones Ocelot uses are based on Matebas and in the MGO trailer they appear to be called Typhoons. Still doesn't quite explain why he's using them, except "Kojima thought they were cool, and Ocelot uses revolvers."

I totally didn't believe you that they weren't Uragans, but you're right. The Uragan has a much different profile. I agree that Ocelot's guns are loosely based on Matebas.

I think the Uragan is based off of the Chiappa Rino

It really bugs me that Ocelot's guns almost certainly shoot .410 shotgun shells, while his bandoleer is clearly 12 gauge shells. Also the shells on his bandoleer look like rear end. The models in this game are pretty loving good, but those shells are super-low poly and it's downright distracting when I'm trying to admire Ocelot in his few cutscene appearances.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IMFDB, as usual, has a nice breakdown of what real guns the fake guns were based off.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_V:_The_Phantom_Pain#.22Uragan-5.22

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I'm not sure why nerds have to credit every 6-0'clock barrel revolver as based of a Mateba. From IMFDB

IMFDB posted:

It utilizes the low bore six-o-clock chamber design of the Mateba Autorevolver, with the hexagonal cylinder design of the Chiappa Rhino series...
Well the Chiappa Rhino also has a barrel on the bottom of the cylinder.

Also, it makes no sense for the Uragan-5, a 5-round revolver, to use a hexagonal cylinder. Which actually isn't what it has in the game either. In the picture in that very article, it shows that the Uragan-5 has a 10-sided cylinder.

My faith in IMFDB is shaken.

edit: And the Mateba fan-boyism doesn't even make sense in this context. If the idea is that the Mateba is the spiritual anscestor of guns like this, it still doesn't make sense to credit the Mateba instead of the Chiappa, because the Chiappa Rhino was designed by the same guy who designed the Mateba. So the Chiappa is already the spiritual successor to the Mateba.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Trip Report from Operation Decoy Hotel: An empty FOB has an invisible Zulu 1 who will radio in to CP when stepping down alert phases (if you get caught by a camera or whatever). However, as soon as the alert phase enters the search phase CP will forget that it was talking to a g-g-g-g-ghost and decide that since the nonexistent Zulu 1 hasn't reported back in that something must have happened to him, and will step the FOB back up to an alert. This doesn't lock out the core door, unfortunately, but it's funny as hell.

Anyway if my brilliant FOB defense through non-defense ploy works you're face to face with the man who sold the leaderboard. Stay tuned.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So out of curiosity how many Moby dick references did you get during the game? I only know the most obvious ones like the Pequod, the flaming whale obviously and the phantoms. Which ones escaped me?

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

I would like for there to be more defence options in the FOB. As it stands, FOBs are essentially a solvable problem, with resources being allocated automatically and the layouts being exactly the same. There is a rote solution to FOB invasions so long as you don't get a defender (I don't have PS+ so I am immune from defenders). I'd like to see more customization options, so that FOB invasions are less uniformly solvable.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Had they actually gone through with the FOB design thing they claimed way back when it'd be different, because every FOB layout would be at least somewhat distinct (even if it was preset platforms, just being able to rotate them would be nice) and you couldn't know the entire route before you'd even entered. Unfortunately by cheaping out on that they made invasions incredibly easy such that only a defender can save the day, and then the defender is so overpowered that the guards might as well not even exist once one shows up because they are the defense.

Hence my new plan to honeypot people into a completely defenseless Medical Platform after locking down all my Counselors/Physicians/Surgeons on Direct Contracts, then refill the losses after each invasion with flower picking dispatch volunteers. Which would you invade: The 75 man Command Platform bristling with lethal weaponry, or the non-lethal Medical Platform with a tenth the Security Level and half the guards*?

* Every single one of the guards is a Decoy. :ssh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So out of curiosity how many Moby dick references did you get during the game? I only know the most obvious ones like the Pequod, the flaming whale obviously and the phantoms. Which ones escaped me?

Well Ishmael and Ahab obviously but I think that's pretty much it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Well Miller is missing a leg, which is what Ahab was missing...
In cutscenes, it's revealed that MB's second chopper is name Queequeg...
That's really all I got.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Mother Base is comprised of all nationalities and languages, like the Pequod in the book.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A lot of people don't realize that Moby Dick himself also was a whale on fire, flew through the sky, and ate helicopters. Melville should sue Kojima imo.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

Had they actually gone through with the FOB design thing they claimed way back when it'd be different, because every FOB layout would be at least somewhat distinct (even if it was preset platforms, just being able to rotate them would be nice) and you couldn't know the entire route before you'd even entered. Unfortunately by cheaping out on that they made invasions incredibly easy such that only a defender can save the day, and then the defender is so overpowered that the guards might as well not even exist once one shows up because they are the defense.

Hence my new plan to honeypot people into a completely defenseless Medical Platform after locking down all my Counselors/Physicians/Surgeons on Direct Contracts, then refill the losses after each invasion with flower picking dispatch volunteers. Which would you invade: The 75 man Command Platform bristling with lethal weaponry, or the non-lethal Medical Platform with a tenth the Security Level and half the guards*?

* Every single one of the guards is a Decoy. :ssh:

I've done a few platforms with no guards, usually I select my "subsistence" load out (cheapest load out possible) and my worst combat unit guy and make more than my cost in Gmp and also get double the PF points (or is it the other kind of points idk)

I'm pretty sure the reward is a function of the average deck level, meaning if you had five high ranking ones and one low ranking one, you'd still make a decent chunk of change on invading the low ranking one. But I don't know how that plays out in terms of mats and Gmp lost as an invadee.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Yeah Bro posted:

I've done a few platforms with no guards, usually I select my "subsistence" load out (cheapest load out possible) and my worst combat unit guy and make more than my cost in Gmp and also get double the PF points (or is it the other kind of points idk)

I'm pretty sure the reward is a function of the average deck level, meaning if you had five high ranking ones and one low ranking one, you'd still make a decent chunk of change on invading the low ranking one. But I don't know how that plays out in terms of mats and Gmp lost as an invadee.
I'm about to find out. Frankly if it doesn't grossly amplify the number of men lost I couldn't begin to give a poo poo if it gives the invader tons of Espionage Points. gently caress, that just makes it more attractive, which means my losses are minimal, which suits me just fine. I'm just sick of bullshit where half my Security Team gets kidnapped by a guy who CQCs almost all of them like he owns the place. No guards, nobody to kidnap. Foolproof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

I'm about to find out. Frankly if it doesn't grossly amplify the number of men lost I couldn't begin to give a poo poo if it gives the invader tons of Espionage Points. gently caress, that just makes it more attractive, which means my losses are minimal, which suits me just fine. I'm just sick of bullshit where half my Security Team gets kidnapped by a guy who CQCs almost all of them like he owns the place. No guards, nobody to kidnap. Foolproof!

That's fair. Maybe it's a function of being lower on the EP ladder, but I am yet to find FOB's with worthwhile staff, so my only concern has been EP and making more GMP than deployment. I know invaders do GMP damage, but I don't know if that's equal to the reward plus facilities damaged, or just facilities.

Also, don't any successful invader take 10 men anyway?

• Locked thread