Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eonwe posted:

I might pick it up this weekend
You just missed a 40% Steam sale by a gnat's crochet. If you buy the game now, be aware you'll have to buy Horizons separately too (well you don't have to, but you won't get the planetary landing features).

If you wait for Horizons to come out and buy that instead (probably around Decemberish), it includes the base game for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
loving stoked for Planets after those screens. I'm going to play Uncharted Worlds on a 24/7 loop and drive a MAKO forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RO7K4W-c9g

Eonwe posted:

I might pick it up this weekend
I made this a while back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVT16WWy7JU it's still essentially the same. If none of that looks like fun you won't enjoy the game, that's the majority of what you'll be looking at.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I mean on one hand if you got started now you would have about the window it takes to explore the current features of elite in their entirety and be poised to get more out of horizons immediately, but on the other hand you're paying at least an extra $30~ for the package, if you're the kind of person who doesn't care about that amount of money and you really want to play now then go for it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Got my Cardboard, had a few minutes to try to get it to work

Sort of interesting but I put the headband on dumb and owww the cardboard hurts, wish I had seen the foam one before I ordered

It's laggy and the head tracking sucks but I was using all defaults that just made it work. Probably can play with it to get it working much better

Using a Nexus 5 and strains the cardboard and I think it's too big to work much better, I'll have to find my old s3 and hope its up to the task

This just makes me yearn more for a real set and I'll probably get whichever of the good upcomers is first to market

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Landings are looking pretty barren - and still kinda photoshoped - for something that's going to be Out, or at least in Beta in within 60 days.

Arach fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't make the Sothis Gold Rush worth the effort. I only made a profit of 110k on 100 tons and it took FOREVER to get out there, and now I have to get back.

Even if we get it up to 50-100 stock of the rare commodity it still wouldn't really be worth the effort of doing those runs after the event.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I also messed with Cardboard. I wasn't expecting it to be something that I'd actually use a lot, but rather a cheap "proof of concept" of sorts, and to that end it was cool. I bought a larger Cardboard because I have a Samsung Note, and I used my Track IR instead of phone tracking. I used TrinusVR to project from the PC to my phone.

The Cardboard approach is too low-res for regular use (with my phone, anyway), but the effect itself was pretty dope and has me excited for consumer versions of the upcoming headsets. Flying through space and looking around my ship in 3D was cool as balls. It's especially neat to have the HUD "in your face" like a real helmet HUD would be. Seems like it'll be great for Elite and the various flight sims I play.

If you're interested in VR and have realistic expectations, it's worth dropping ~$10 on a Cardboard set and giving it a whirl, or you can spend more to get something comfier to wear. Keep in mind that you'll want to get a large version if you have a big phone like the Note, and that you'll have to do some additional configuration stuff with an external program like Trinus to stream the 3D image from your PC to your phone.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I'm trying to figure out the best weapons loadout.

At the moment I'm using Beams to get rid of shields, then finishing the job with cannons\beams. I like Cannons because they have plenty of ammo unlike missiles and I seem to chew through machine gun ammo like it's burning a hole in my ship. According to the stats, Beam weapons do the most damage out of all the lasers, but they still don't seem that effective against shields...or hulls for that matter.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Beams are about as good as it gets for dropping shields, unless you're running out of power too often. If you don't have the power for it and you're able to keep yourself pointed at your target pretty constantly, consider switching to pulses. Bursts are theoretically between the two for DPS/power consumption, but if you can keep yourself aimed at the enemy nothing tops the raw, boring efficiency of pulse lasers.

Cannons definitely own.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

H13 posted:

So I'm trying to figure out the best weapons loadout.

At the moment I'm using Beams to get rid of shields, then finishing the job with cannons\beams. I like Cannons because they have plenty of ammo unlike missiles and I seem to chew through machine gun ammo like it's burning a hole in my ship. According to the stats, Beam weapons do the most damage out of all the lasers, but they still don't seem that effective against shields...or hulls for that matter.

The Eagle uses small weapons, so yeah, it can take a while for it to bring down shields. I used two pulse lasers and a cannon when I had an Eagle and it got the job done well enough until I hopped into the Viper and had access to more and bigger guns. I know you didn't like the Viper's handling, but man, its firepower is really nice compared to the Eagle.

Then one day you'll wake up and have millions and can buy a shiny new Vulture and fight the world. :allears:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thinking about just getting a Cobra since I have a couple million; can I transfer my weapons since I'd used the same loadout?

Also I might have screamed at the screen because my "ok one more" bounty was a fed dropship that loving melted my shields and blew out my powerplant seconds after which made me just sit there as he pounded me into spacedust and I lost 300k of bounty. Not a lot to you space trumps but that was needed.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Arach posted:

Landings are looking pretty barren - and still kinda photoshoped - for something that's going to be Out, or at least in Beta in within 60 days.

If I could wager a guess, thats how they are going to be at start. FDEV is using an iterative process, and tend to make things look better (and sometimes worse) as we move forward.

An example would be the first iterations of gas giants we got. We went from this

to this

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Thinking about just getting a Cobra since I have a couple million; can I transfer my weapons since I'd used the same loadout?

If I understand correctly, when you sell a ship upgrade individually, you get it's purchase price back - so if you sell the upgrades before selling your ship, then re buy them it's basically like transferring the upgrades.

If you sell the ship without selling the upgrades manually first you lose 10% of their value according to what I've read. I guess the system is stupidly designed because that seems like the only explanation for this difference.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Chalks posted:

If I understand correctly, when you sell a ship upgrade individually, you get it's purchase price back - so if you sell the upgrades before selling your ship, then re buy them it's basically like transferring the upgrades.

If you sell the ship without selling the upgrades manually first you lose 10% of their value according to what I've read. I guess the system is stupidly designed because that seems like the only explanation for this difference.

Not stupid; initially it was a bug that 10% wasn't being taken off per module individually sold off. When they attempted to fix it, players as a whole told them to go gently caress themselves, just give them just one headache free "feature" so they could actually try and experiment with loadouts without paying for the privilege.

FDev said they'd revisit and make a happier medium (like a grace period to return a module for a full refund) but they had a lot of other stuff that took priority.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Also I might have screamed at the screen because my "ok one more" bounty was a fed dropship that loving melted my shields and blew out my powerplant seconds after which made me just sit there as he pounded me into spacedust and I lost 300k of bounty. Not a lot to you space trumps but that was needed.

cobra is still one of my favorite ships in the game. its a real trooper. though if you didn't like the vipers performance you may find it wanting

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Literally Kermit posted:

Not stupid; initially it was a bug that 10% wasn't being taken off per module individually sold off. When they attempted to fix it, players as a whole told them to go gently caress themselves, just give them just one headache free "feature" so they could actually try and experiment with loadouts without paying for the privilege.

FDev said they'd revisit and make a happier medium (like a grace period to return a module for a full refund) but they had a lot of other stuff that took priority.

In typical :frontear: style apparently they didn't realise that people would actually want to sell modules frequently because everyone at Frontier would just buy a new ship for every role and keep a load of different ships scattered around instead of just having one ship that you upgrade a lot.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

RabidWeasel posted:

In typical :frontear: style apparently they didn't realise that people would actually want to sell modules frequently because everyone at Frontier would just buy a new ship for every role and keep a load of different ships scattered around instead of just having one ship that you upgrade a lot.

And that is actually what I do now that I am Space-Middle-Class but most players go through a phase where all they have is just one all purpose ship. So yeah it is on them classist bastards :argh:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Natsuumi posted:

I made this for Kermit after him talking about our "characters" in Elite being our SA avatars, figured I'd share.

I'm not good at photoshop and just mash buttons until it works :(

Somehow I think you're better than me at this:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

lewtt posted:

You little bitch, no one trashes my gold painted viper skin. It's beautiful and if I could actually see it when I was flying around, I would jizz on my monitor.

Got the imperial clipper thanks to Lasagna-Duffles generous JUSTICE BOUNTIES, but this feels kinda lame for combat. I'm not sure how to take advantage of the speed other than just staying at max range and piddling away for minutes with pulses; the hull is too big to take advantage of speeding around and being hard to hit like a dedicated combat ship. With the vulture and courier I could just eternally ride the top/bottom of a python via thrusters and laser the power plant. What pro strat am I missing with the clipper?

With a good power distributor and thrusters you should be able to put half pips to eng and boost enough to stay inside a pythons turning circle so long as you stay close to its rear end and pivot at the right moments. And if you end up far off with it lining you up, you can always just joust back in behind it. I find enemy clippers and dropships trickier as they're that much more maneuverable but the same tactic should let you hammer them long enough while out of their CoF that if things change they're half dead already.

Presumably you can pull off some sort of fancy FA off moves to stay behind em all the time but I've never been able to make that work. Blingbling or Texas will know what to do there

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 3, 2015

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

Ah thanks for the info - if they do start taking a cut from selling items back I hope there is some way to remove items without selling them - is this possible at the moment?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Chalks posted:

Ah thanks for the info - if they do start taking a cut from selling items back I hope there is some way to remove items without selling them - is this possible at the moment?

So long as you don't leave the instance, your item remains available to rebuy.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

An example would be the first iterations of gas giants we got. We went from this to this

And I've been dying to go into atmo on a Gas Giant since they teased this during the Kickstarter and go scoopin' with style.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/300

This is a list of the general features they want to introduce over the next year.

The main reason for starting with just airless worlds and moons is the can of worms atmospheres pose. They intend to model flying in atmospheres so they want to make sure terrain and gravity works well before working on that. Then there's the assets of things like trees, water, wildlife, etc to say nothing of human settlements.

Surface outposts and or starports should be in for starters and it would be especially :frontear: to not have at least that. Even having terrestrial stations that work just like regular space stations will work out nice, because inhabited systems will probably have multiple ones for mining, trade, etc. and make the galaxy feel a gently caress ton larger.

Mostly though I want to play with poo poo until it breaks, like getting a SRV on TOP of the Anaconda, then flying around with it. Into space.

Edit: We're getting to the "human scale" part of the game, when you realize you've been flying office-building-sized vessels into each other the whole time, and that 'dinky eagle' is still the size of a fighter jet. Hopefully Horizons really sells us on that.

Mite bigger than a fighter jet, actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bEQlVvUvI

Elite ships are frikken' huge and I love it!

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Surprise Giraffe posted:

With a good power distributor and thrusters you should be able to put half pips to eng and boost enough to stay inside a pythons turning circle so long as you stay close to its rear end and pivot at the right moments. And if you end up far off with it lining you up, you can always just joust back in behind it. I find enemy clippers and dropships trickier as they're that much more maneuverable but the same tactic should let you hammer them long enough while out of their CoF that if things change they're half dead already.

Presumably you can pull off some sort of fancy FA off moves to stay behind em all the time but I've never been able to make that work. Blingbling or Texas will know what to do there

thanks fella, I did notice that enemy clippers are much harder to stay on top of than pythons or condas. I guess i'll just pump my cash into improved thrusters

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Somehow I think you're better than me at this:

Natsuumi's fake skin is amazingly good. This is my own attempt:

Subtle!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just saw a 1 million credit job offer for an elite ranked combat pilot. Get to grinding!

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

lewtt posted:

Got the imperial clipper thanks to Lasagna-Duffles generous JUSTICE BOUNTIES, but this feels kinda lame for combat. I'm not sure how to take advantage of the speed other than just staying at max range and piddling away for minutes with pulses; the hull is too big to take advantage of speeding around and being hard to hit like a dedicated combat ship. With the vulture and courier I could just eternally ride the top/bottom of a python via thrusters and laser the power plant. What pro strat am I missing with the clipper?

You should take advantage of the clipper's speed to dictate range, and that doesn't necessarily mean plink from max range.

It's got excellent lateral thrusters, but with judicious main thruster use you shouldn't have too much trouble orbiting ships the same size as yours, since the clipper outmanouvers them all.

For the smaller ones, use your speed to keep a distance that allows you to out-turn them.

It's also a ridiculously expensive ship to outfit for straight combat - my PVE/PVP build only manages slightly-more-than-vulture-shields at 102 million with 15%off. So it'll feel like a step down until you've spent a ton of money on it.

On the other hand, it's an opportunity to learn to constantly manage your SYS pips to get the most out of it.

tl;dr it's not the best PVE ship and requires a significant investment to be useful, about as much as a Python. But it's stylish as hell and one of the better PVP ships.

e: changed build to have saner power settings

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 3, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

frank.club posted:

Just saw a 1 million credit job offer for an elite ranked combat pilot. Get to grinding!
Is it actually possible to make decent money with combat these days? Or is it still space trucking all the way?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Cicero posted:

Is it actually possible to make decent money with combat these days? Or is it still space trucking all the way?

You can make much better money with combat than trading, provided the stars align in just the right way*. If they do, you're looking at 15-30 million/hr, and if they don't, .5-3 million/hr.

*Involves quitting to menu a bunch of times and having a certain powerplay rank 5 bonus.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zaardvark posted:

Natsuumi's fake skin is amazingly good. This is my own attempt:

Subtle!

Now I'm getting tempted too. Just imagine it, a Python looking like one of those weird cars with anime characters all over them.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
It's a goddamn shame we can't upload our own skins to the Fdev shop for others to buy and they get a cut. Or hell, even the ability to pay money and have a jpeg of my choosing slapped onto my python.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

cobalt impurity posted:

It's a goddamn shame we can't upload our own skins to the Fdev shop for others to buy and they get a cut. Or hell, even the ability to pay money and have a jpeg of my choosing slapped onto my python.

Because far too many people would be trying to upload Goku skins or some crap similarly copyright-infringing.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
So I picked up Elite: Dangerous during the 40% off sale. I was unsure at first but $30 CAD seemed like a fair price. Since then, I haven't played anything else. In fact, what little free time I have is now spent either playing Elite, reading about Elite or watching Elite videos. This is the space sim I kept fantasizing about all my life, particularly after experiencing the disappointing Freelancer launch and later the mind-numbing boredom of X3: Terran Conflict. I honestly do not understand the complains about the emptiness of the game world, since the 1:1-scale galaxy is one of the main selling features of Elite. Space is empty!

Anyway, the base gameplay and immersion (thanks in part to the cockpit view and excellent UI) are unmatched. I will probably throw money in the general direction of Frontier this winter, even if I don't care about planetary exploration.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Valatar posted:

Because far too many people would be trying to upload Goku skins or some crap similarly copyright-infringing.

That's not the issue, its the weird dudes who would put straight up porn on their ship

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait if I do a skin upload or whatever those guys are doing can anyone else even see it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cicero posted:

It's possible to make money and have fun yeah. Do not do the goon recommended grind method that will surely grind your will to play into dust.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
They are photoshopping those on, it's not something you can actually do in-game.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Okay, stupid question I know, but do those community missions pay better or something? I.e. is there any incentive to deliver meaty bear asses or whatever to Bacon or is it just normal trading profits?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Mr Darcy posted:

Okay, stupid question I know, but do those community missions pay better or something? I.e. is there any incentive to deliver meaty bear asses or whatever to Bacon or is it just normal trading profits?

You get the profits from whatever you traded, plus the rewards from the CG when it ends. What the reward is depends on which reward tier the CG hit overall, and what your ranking is percentile-wise. It's all listed on the event description screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Community Events don't reward well because not enough people do them to get them up to the high tiers because they don't reward well at the low tiers. It's a terrible cycle.

• Locked thread