Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm going to sue for a co writer's credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The story and chapter is telling me it's gonna be Souma's save, but the true heroes are clearly Alice and Megumi. As always. :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
http://www.mangamint.com/shokugeki-no-soma-137

(actual link to new chapter)

Alice is hilarious in this chapter, but I'm not a huge fan of the obvious whiplash just to get Erina's social circle integrated with the Dorm folk. I really, really hope Soma doesn't end up telling Erina, "I'm here to save you" or something because that would be cringeworthy as gently caress.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Angry Grimace posted:

Alice is hilarious in this chapter, but I'm not a huge fan of the obvious whiplash just to get Erina's social circle integrated with the Dorm folk. I really, really hope Soma doesn't end up telling Erina, "I'm here to save you" or something because that would be cringeworthy as gently caress.

Did you not read the chapter? He couldn't give two shits about her condition, he just wants to get her to admit he's hella good at cooking.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

pandaK posted:

Did you not read the chapter? He couldn't give two shits about her condition, he just wants to get her to admit he's hella good at cooking.

No, I just linked it and then made comments about the content, but I was just guessing what that actual content was.

He clearly did not reject Senzeamon's request and making Erina say his cooking tastes good has nothing to do with saving her from her father. He's obviously saying he's going to agree to the request to save her; making her say his cooking is good is just his motivation for doing so.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well it kind of does, since if Erina keeps going the way her father wants her to she probably wouldn't even eat anything he makes again.

More to the point, I have enough faith in the writing by now that I assume Souma is going to do something neat instead of completely cliched. Probably spearhead an effort to get Asami to recognize the new generation's food as being acceptable?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pandaK posted:

Do you have context blindness or something? It's pretty obvious he's going to help her.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pentyne posted:

Do you have context blindness or something? It's pretty obvious he's going to help her.

i'm actually fully blind, i use a text to speech program to read the chapters, thanks for your insensitivity.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Erina's social circle is much cooler than Erina herself so I am glad they will get to interact with other cool people. :colbert:

Also, this was a good chapter. I now feel better about this arc as a whole, even though I imagine Erina's going to end up captive by bad-dad again soon anyway.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This could have easily been like the Soul Society Arc from Bleach where the "damsel" just sits sadly in a room while everyone else tries to save her.

Alice is a blessing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's clear the author doesn't want to make it a "Souma saves the day" thing. Sure, Souma will be the one to break her out of her toxic mentality (that's p much the entire point), but the others are in charge of stuff like, say, breaking her out. :v:

Which is cool. More shonens need to embrace the power of teamwork. (Ironically enough)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm just glad that in this chapter Senzaemon changed his wording to "Soma and his generation will save Erina". Rather than just Soma.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

pentyne posted:

Well, in context, "helping her" just means getting her to throw off her father's brainwashing, which means getting her to accept foods he wouldn't approve of. Which means that literally all he has to do is convince her that his food is good. I mean, yeah, he's gonna save her, but that's almost meaningless to him because that was his goal in the first place.

In the framework of the story, saving Erina just means getting her into the group of friends.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Erina is correct to want to return to her mansion. Her father does not strike me as a very stable person, and he would probably do something awful in retaliation for this.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Clarste posted:

Well, in context, "helping her" just means getting her to throw off her father's brainwashing, which means getting her to accept foods he wouldn't approve of. Which means that literally all he has to do is convince her that his food is good. I mean, yeah, he's gonna save her, but that's almost meaningless to him because that was his goal in the first place.

In the framework of the story, saving Erina just means getting her into the group of friends.
Also, unseating enough of the Elite Ten to vote Bad Dad out and somebody else in. Maybe Souma's dad, just to twist the knife?

Ytlaya posted:

I think Erina is correct to want to return to her mansion. Her father does not strike me as a very stable person, and he would probably do something awful in retaliation for this.
Eh, he's easy enough to defend against: if you hold up a McDonalds bag, he hisses and recoils in pain.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Sandman posted:

Also, unseating enough of the Elite Ten to vote Bad Dad out and somebody else in. Maybe Souma's dad, just to twist the knife?

I don't think unseating her Dad is actually necessary to this. That would fall under "saving the school" instead. Erina can be saved while keeping Evil-Dad as an antagonistic headmaster. Ideally, she would end up confronting him herself.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
If Bad Dad gets ousted then they'll probably just reinstate Nudist Grandpa

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 3, 2015

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Law Cheetah posted:

If Bad Dad gets ousted then they'll probably just reinstate Nudist Grandpa

I have absolutely zero problems with this.

Also, Alice is an idiot. In the best kind of way. :allears:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alice is smart as hell.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She's a young genius who does cooking science.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

She's a young genius who does cooking science.

A comedic genius, for sure.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Azami versus the combined forces of the Polar Star Dorm and its allies would be a cool arc. Instead of the usual suspects (Souma, the Super Aldini Bros., Hayama, Nikumi, etc.) getting into cooking battles, we might get another chance to see the other Polar Star members shine like in the Autumn Tournament Qualifiers as well as including Fumio and Isshiki in the mix

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
loving loved that Alice actually watched some running away documentaries before attempting to run away with Erina.
Also the art in this series is just amazing. I loved the way Polar Star dorm at the end looked like a beacon of light.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Forget Souma x Erina or Souma x Megumi, I want Erina x Megumi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just kill souma off-panel and make alice the new protagonist

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Erina's dad isn't her guardian anymore so he can't really make her do poo poo if she moves into Polar Star.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Erina's dad isn't her guardian anymore so he can't really make her do poo poo if she moves into Polar Star.

He could probably just sit down the form though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

He could probably just sit down the form though

I assume that was autocorrect at work, and what you really meant was "shut down the dorm". But he probably can't, because of that whole "independant nation" thing that Gin and Jouichiro did for the dorm back when they were at Tootsuki.

edit:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 4, 2015

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Fabricated posted:

As director of the academy now he can absolutely go after the people who try and gently caress with him within the school though, including trying to shut down Polar Star. Maybe if they amp up the cartoonish villain vibes they can go full Simpsons and have her dad build an overpass over the dorm.

Also any chapter that features Alice is a great chapter, she is the best.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
And here I thought he meant Asami would take the form to register Erina, sit down on it, and glare at people so hard they can't get it.

To defeat him, Souma has to make a dish that smells so good Asami can't resist going over to look at it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I assume that was autocorrect at work, and what you really meant was "shut down the dorm". But he probably can't, because of that whole "independant nation" thing that Gin and Jouichiro did for the dorm back when they were at Tootsuki.

edit:

i dont think they should have been running with knives

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

i dont think they should have been running with knives

It is very dangerous.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Prediction: at some point, Souma will cook a dish and Azami will tell Erina to throw it in the trash but instead she will eat it and say it's delicious thus giving Souma the validation he wants and defying her father and people in the manga will be very surprised!!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit:

You know? Aside from this picture (and again, mental image and all), I don't ever think I've seen an example of young Jouichiro being all hot-blooded. Most of the other flashbacks / photos show a really chill, down-to-earth dude that seemingly only wanted to either hang or make some bitchin' food. Wasn't he supposed to be like a brash trouble-maker?

Also, the whole deal with Erina needing to be "saved" strikes me as really dumb. Yeah, Azami returning probably did a number on her and all, but at the end of the day, isn't old-man Senzaemon still her legal guardian? Food-Aizen should just step off on that front. Good thing Alice said "gently caress that noise" and got her cousin out of dodge. Because, while still not the cutest (Satoshi is still the cutest), Alice is the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

You know? Aside from this picture (and again, mental image and all), I don't ever think I've seen an example of young Jouichiro being all hot-blooded. Most of the other flashbacks / photos show a really chill, down-to-earth dude that seemingly only wanted to either hang or make some bitchin' food. Wasn't he supposed to be like a brash trouble-maker?

Also, the whole deal with Erina needing to be "saved" strikes me as really dumb. Yeah, Azami returning probably did a number on her and all, but at the end of the day, isn't old-man Senzaemon still her legal guardian? Food-Aizen should just step off on that front. Good thing Alice said "gently caress that noise" and got her cousin out of dodge. Because, while still not the cutest (Satoshi is still the cutest), Alice is the best.

something something student council determines custody rights

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wark Say posted:

I'm imagining that something happened to Jouichiro which coincides with his change in attitude, leaving the school, and traveling the world. Probably something to do with Souma's presumably dead mom.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

DutchDupe posted:

Also any chapter that features Alice is a great chapter, she is the best.

I'm honestly a little disappointed we haven't gotten the cropped Alice faces for this chapter

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I'm honestly a little disappointed we haven't gotten the cropped Alice faces for this chapter

I'm surprised there isn't an Alice spin-off yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm surprised there isn't an Alice spin-off yet.

Well, the existing spinoff features a boring rear end in a top hat no one likes. I'd say that the mapo tofu guy is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I like the spinoff :shobon: