Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

I read through your post, and here are a few thoughts on what you've been looking at. The main issue with my assumptions and yours is that you can control your discretionary spending. One surefire way to help control that discretionary is with that single payment on the Corolla. You've got a bunch of options down the road with when/if you sell the Corolla. If you think you could survive with the Camaro for a few weeks after you sell the Corolla to let you find a 2nd car, whatever go for it.

Here is how I would propose your budget:
$5500/month
2500 fixed
500 savings
800 flexible
1000 Corolla
200 other debts

This puts you at $5000. Any excess income beyond that goes into savings. When appropriate you chunk off savings into the Corolla principle. Don't worry about what you'll do when the Corolla is paid off, just actually manage to stick to the budget. Set rules for the savings, what things do you take money out of savings for?

To me, this is what a budget looks like, if you want to break down the categories you spent on at the end of the month, go for it. The budget should really exist at a pretty macro level. Withdraw $400 for flex on the first of the month, withdraw $400 on the 15th. Flex spending doesn't exceed $800. No excuses, no bullshit justifications. $800 is all that goes out the door for your flex spending.

Best I can do for now after considering the budget you posted:

And if we can't stick with this moving forward, then I'm going to use average over the past 12 months in November and be done with it.

That's the final October budget, since we're already into October.

dreesemonkey posted:

I've got a way shittier version of this kind of child carrier I got at a yardsale for $2 and my daughter and I both love it. She loves being "up and around" and I have hands free to do whatever. Often she's perfectly content with me just doing normal household chores type stuff or going for a walk or playing outside with my son.

We also had one of those front baby bjorn things and it was ok but much much less comfortable to wear. Check craigslist or local facebook groups and you can probably get a good deal on one of the hiking type carriers if that's what you're looking for. Now that I have one I'd probably pay $100 for one knowing how useful it is, but I can't justify buying a nicer one when the $2 one is perfectly serviceable (though the padding could be better).

We had a front facing something for some light hiking we were doing, but it was killing both of our backs. My wife said she was using an ergo carrier at a baby convention she went to, and my son and her both loved it. Holy crap those are pricey though. I'll check out that baby used goods store first, and then we can try Craigslist if the stuff is expensive. My sister always gets good deals on baby stuff on Craigslist.

Cool pic of the baby by the way. Thanks for sharing.

imabanana posted:

On the subject of financial independence, it's ok to not want that, at least the way it is commonly presented (i.e. usually via ultra frugality.)

Personally, I want to save and make a big chunk of money for security purposes, but I see financial independence blogs where people call themselves retired with like $200k because they are ultra frugal and I don't really want to live like that.

I also work for myself - if I were punching a clock I might feel differently.

Another point is that FI honestly doesn't work unless it's a hobby unto itself. KG, flip through this blog I came across recently: http://www.frugalwoods.com/

This is a very healthy, seemingly well adjusted couple who spend almost nothing because it's clearly like a game and it's fun to them. Literally, it's one of their top hobbies.

It's an exceedingly rare person that has that mindset, and I really do think that's ok. You can still do great things in life and do well financially without being that much of an outlier. Making peace with good enough has helped me, it might help you also.

I think it relates to what someone said upthread about you being stoic about a car for so long and then buying a sports car like a diet gone horribly wrong, and I think if you were more chill about not being perfect that sort of thing might not happen? I could be wrong.

That's a neat blog. Thanks for sharing. There's some wisdom there for sure. When I first got into the thread I did used to do this a little bit. I'd be a dick and say "man those people buying that TV are sacrificing their future", etc etc. Now I'm 2 years older, and a little wiser, I can no longer fault those people. Here's a quote from that blog, actually:

quote:

The longer I live, the more people I talk to, and the more experiences I have, the more I realize that we’re all seriously imperfect creatures carving out an existence here on earth.

And on that note, I think I do need to make peace with "good enough", at least for now. It's been said in the thread before, but perfection is the enemy of good. When I first started the thread I was trying to bench press 300 lbs right off the bat, instead of working my way up to it.

Yeah if I had just admitted my weakness earlier this year or so, I would have just thrown a line in the budget for a second car, and went for it. Perhaps it would be best if I can say, work towards not having a second car if I feel that it would be a justifiable means to better our financial goals (same as the analogy above).

Mostly I just want to do things like travel (especially). I'd like to show my son different cultures, and that how everyone thinks and what they do here in little old Reno isn't the way that the whole world thinks. Mine and my wife's FI dream is like traveling the world and home schooling my son during the process. A dream amazingly out of reach at the moment, of course.

Old Fart posted:

How many toys do you need? You JUST bought a stupid car and a stupid tech gadget. Make THOSE your hobby. Let your child watch you fiddling with mechanical stuff instead of punching buttons staring slack-jawed at a screen.

So it sounds like you're on the keeping the car side, now? I have a potential buyer coming Sunday with $2,300 cash.

You're right that I have enough toys.

"Staring slack-jawed at a screen" though? http://www.npr.org/2010/12/20/132077565/video-games-boost-brain-power-multitasking-skills I think it's all about balance. Some of my fondest memories with my dad are playing video games with him as a kid (Ninja Turtles NES), but he had some pretty nice cars too (69 Super Bee).

April posted:

"I did X and it was really hard so now I am allowed to do Y regardless of whether it's helping me meet my goals or not BECAUSE REASONS." Do you get that this has been THIS ENTIRE THREAD? I'm not saying that you're right or wrong in your scheduling/not wanting to deal with your baby, but do you seriously not see that you do this EVERY TIME something comes up that you don't want to do?

"And now I'm going to buckle down and deprive myself of things I want and make myself miserable so I can blow it all up again in a couple of months. I MEAN IT THIS TIME." .... and this is the other half of THIS ENTIRE THREAD.

On the second point, I'm trying very hard to ensure our budget is comfortable enough to not make myself miserable. Is this another "in favor" of keeping the second car? That's been the cause of much of my misery.

On my wife's side, she's coming down pretty hard on my rear end that we buy my son a Halloween costume this year, travel to Sacramento for Halloween, and that we don't cheap out too much on Christmas. Those need to be addressed somehow. October can cover the costume and trip, but we need to come up with a plan in November to meet these points. I'll talk to her this evening and see if we can come up with a way to take X amount out of discretionary spending for the next few months to do this.

Old Greg posted:

I just want you to really sit back and think here: what's materially changed this time? A month ago you were going to swear off the thread for good. Even if that was a thought you had for all of 5 minutes, you were there. Now you are considering a bare-bones budget, or really trimming down certain categories. What has changed from before?

You, and us as a thread, have been here before. You have, to date, not gotten the major successes you wanted from plans to go extreme with your savings. I completely, 100% believe you, that you're pumped and ready to go crazy tackling your debt right now. I also believe you were serious and ready to sacrifice before in this thread. When you moved into a too-small apartment, I believe you were 1,000% committed to making that work to eradicate your debt. And it didn't. It didn't work for you. It does not lead to the success you want, and often leads to impulse decisions that involve a lot of money.

Is there something materially different in you as a person or how you'll approach this goal that was completely different or lacking for the past two years?

Something the thread was discussing a few months back was going six months making NO major purchases unless literal emergency. And I don't think there's any healthier goal you could aim for Knyteguy, to try to shake the loop of "Major life things are happening! I'll do my best to not spend money on it but MAJOR LIFE poo poo IS HAPPENING AND IT CAME OUTTA NOWHERE AND I GOTTA HANDLE IT."

I think mentally, I just really want to get out from underneath this car loan. In the very worst case scenario, any money we throw at the car loan can't be gotten back. We can't spend that money anymore.

How do I make sure there are no major purchases? Define major purchase please.

Old Fart posted:

Well then your wife is a strong lady to take post-partum teasing about how easy she's got it.

Do we live in the same society? Everybody understands and admits that babies are incredibly difficult and emotionally draining. That's like in the top five list when talking about newborns. That's why it's insane that there's no family leave in the US.

Oh NOW you're about to get serious? You've been saying this off and on for two years. Proof is in the pudding.

1) She definitely is. She's a good woman for putting up with my crap.

2) Well... you live in Canada don't you? Thought you did. I had 4 days of leave time for the baby, 2 of which was me working remotely. That was rough.

3) Beyond the point above about getting out from underneath this car loan, I've admitted to myself that budgets aren't the worst thing in the world if you have financial goals to meet, and a limited supply of wealth.

I'm probably jaded after watching the baby from when he was colicky. The first 4 months where I was watching him solo so much was probably up there with the most difficult things I've ever had to do. I'm not a masochist over here, after all.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
And this is why I rarely say a drat thing about my parenting-- because I'd get constant poo poo from other parents who think every parent should be the same, but most importantly, every parent should be like them.

KG, ignore all that poo poo. You know if you're doing good by your kid, and you know what you can and can't handle from your child. You also know your marriage involves you and your wife, not the internet, so gently caress people who think they can be critical of a relationship they know nothing about. They're just getting a snapshot of your life, and yet somehow think they can pass judgement. gently caress 'em. So long as your relationships aren't unhealthy, you just keep on keeping on.

This is BFC, people. Not the parenting thread.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Knyteguy posted:

I'm about to get really serious with the budgeting thing
new thread title, please.

Wasting money on kid costumes instead of making your own is about the worst idea, btw. If your wife cares that much, it should come out of her discretionary, but good luck on that. It's just so stupid to see you waste money on crap you don't need to spend money on, and then get stressed out over not having money to do important things that you really care about.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Knuteguy,
Yea the ergo is pretty expensive, but there are alternatives. I have borrowed an ergo and subsequently bought this one and I liked it even better, plus it was much cheaper.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

On the second point, I'm trying very hard to ensure our budget is comfortable enough to not make myself miserable. Is this another "in favor" of keeping the second car? That's been the cause of much of my misery.

I don't give a poo poo either way. I don't care what you buy or don't buy. I don't care if you ever get out of debt. What annoys me is the constant repeated cycle of "I'm gonna do it this time! I'm gonna be financially smart!" but instead of actually doing something financially smart (saving up for a few months for something you want), you go blow money on whatever shiny thing catches your eye, then retcon your life to justify it. See below.

quote:

On my wife's side, she's coming down pretty hard on my rear end that we buy my son a Halloween costume this year, travel to Sacramento for Halloween, and that we don't cheap out too much on Christmas. Those need to be addressed somehow. October can cover the costume and trip, but we need to come up with a plan in November to meet these points. I'll talk to her this evening and see if we can come up with a way to take X amount out of discretionary spending for the next few months to do this.

What's a reasonable amount to spend on a costume? I can usually find something at Walmart for $20. Your kid is a baby, he's going to be adorable in whatever he wears, you don't need something pricey.

What does she want to buy for Christmas gifts? Who all is on your list? What do you want to spend on each purchase? My job is up in the air after the end of this year, so I'm crocheting a lot of gifts, and my husband (who is becoming VERY talented at beer-making) has been experimenting with making different beers & hard ciders that we can put into gift baskets. We're parlaying our hobbies and things that we would spend money on anyway into holiday gifts. We'll still buy gifts and spend probably more than we should on the kids, but we're both in agreement that we want to keep it reasonable. I've also been putting money in a savings account earmarked "Christmas" since last Christmas, so we have some money to play with.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned to you a year or more ago that Christmas comes every year, and it's good to save & plan for it, especially if you have kids and/or a large family. Other things in this category include kids' birthdays, school clothes, car inspections (in my state anyway), property taxes, summer vacation, etc.

This is EXACTLY what I mean. Something that is 100% foreseeable (Christmas) turns into a last-minute (starting to save in November is pretty last-minute, especially if you want to travel as well in October) OMG YOU GUYZ CRISIS TIME HERE I'M GOING TO BLOW THE BUDGET BUT JUST THIS ONCE!!!!!

quote:

I think mentally, I just really want to get out from underneath this car loan. In the very worst case scenario, any money we throw at the car loan can't be gotten back. We can't spend that money anymore.

How do I make sure there are no major purchases? Define major purchase please.

1) She definitely is. She's a good woman for putting up with my crap.

2) Well... you live in Canada don't you? Thought you did. I had 4 days of leave time for the baby, 2 of which was me working remotely. That was rough.

3) Beyond the point above about getting out from underneath this car loan, I've admitted to myself that budgets aren't the worst thing in the world if you have financial goals to meet, and a limited supply of wealth.

Your entire problem is that you don't understand the value of planning. You think that wanting something for a while is the same as planning for it. Or, to put this in perspective, you bought yourself a $350 toy (Oculus Rift), and somehow completely overlooked the fact that you have a baby to buy Christmas presents for in the next two months. You say that you have all these responsible priorities, but your actions speak otherwise.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You are a very angry person April.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
April's last post is a really really good one Knyte!

You asked me to define "major purchase," and I'd honestly define it as a purchase of $300 or more for a not-emergency. That money floor could be fairer at $500, or $1,000, but since this is "Am I or my family going to be harmed physically by not buying this Immediately?" money floor, I'm gonna go low at $300. I don't want to re-question the car, but I don't want you to forget about the sequence of events around it. You were gung-ho about biking, and then biking sucked, but your immediate solutions didn't center on a car too much. Then you got stressed and bought a car on a whim. I'm with April, below:

April posted:

I don't give a poo poo either way. I don't care what you buy or don't buy. I don't care if you ever get out of debt. What annoys me is the constant repeated cycle of "I'm gonna do it this time! I'm gonna be financially smart!" but instead of actually doing something financially smart (saving up for a few months for something you want), you go blow money on whatever shiny thing catches your eye, then retcon your life to justify it.

It wouldn't have been the best, but your "breaking" moment could have been "gently caress it, this is miserable and winter's coming. I'm taking $500 from the car payment to save up for a few months for a new car." And it could have happened in June. This is a major purchase you could have gone without, and I even trust it was miserable accommodating one-car! But you had a few flexible options to plan when biking first sucked. Which is why some people are pro-keeping the car. And I might be one of them. Because you might sell the car, then we have a stormy winter, and when you go car shopping next time $3k's the cheapest you find with more issues and you saved no money selling at profit. Which is why I REALLY want you to think about how long take before getting rides from your family and wife or biking will start to wear on you again. It'd be best to look historically at your actions. You were pumped about paying down debt the first time, so if it took 3 months to go from "I'll bike for the next 2 years if it gets that debt down!" to "gently caress it, get a car." I'd have a plan to POTENTIALLY buy a car in 3 months. If your enthusiasm keeps longer and you aren't bothered anymore by the realities of being a one-car family? Spend that saved money on the existing car debt.

Do you think that's something that would help? To have savings funds for potential worst cases you can dump if you hit the best case? Maybe pre-Oculus that looked like "Next 2 months, I am saving $175 from car payoff. If I want an Oculus and not $350 towards paying off the car, I'll spend it." And if two months later you cooled on the Oculus, you make a bigger car payoff that month and MAYBE lost a buck to interest for the advantage of budgeting and saving a discretionary purchase.

Also if you saved from day one for a worst case scenario this "I only have November to plan for a bigger Christmas!" thing wouldn't be happening. January was when you began planning for Christmas, you just planned to save nothing and kept it up until October.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm not quite following why your budgeted total is $7000 when your actual income is ~$5500.

Is your baby budget getting spent completely every month? If you have left over, why are you not carrying over?

How on earth have you already spent $250 on groceries?

How much will the Sacramento trip / Christmas cost? Why is this not in your budget?

You should add these items into flex portion of your budget, and your total flex budget should not be changing. If your road trip + baby costume will be $250 carve out that amount from the items you already have. Drop your discretionary $50 each, drop your restaurant spending $100, and drop the household & grooming categories $25 each. Boom $250.

What's a reasonable Christmas spending amount? I'd contend that $250 is more than enough spending, so set aside that money over the next two months. Just make the same reductions above, but do it over two months. Now you've planned for these expenses, and your real goals on debt payments/savings have not been effected. This is the core concept behind budgeting, YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THIS, you can do it dude!

edit:

Old Greg posted:

Do you think that's something that would help? To have savings funds for potential worst cases you can dump if you hit the best case? Maybe pre-Oculus that looked like "Next 2 months, I am saving $175 from car payoff. If I want an Oculus and not $350 towards paying off the car, I'll spend it." And if two months later you cooled on the Oculus, you make a bigger car payoff that month and MAYBE lost a buck to interest for the advantage of budgeting and saving a discretionary purchase.

Perhaps this is just a basic disagreement on methodology, but I think this is terrible advice. Debt payments should be treated as a set in stone amount that doesn't change unless you've got a real emergency. If $1000 / month on the car payment is the set amount, this goes out every month regardless of whether or not KG/KGwife want to spend in other areas. The same goes for the savings, it comes out every month unless bad poo poo is happening.

n8r fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 2, 2015

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A baby needs Christmas presents??

Also you probably are making zero money (probably breaking even) on the car at $2300. Personally I would call it good and keep the car, however practical or not.

KG I know you guys can do this and I know it is hard but you have to if you want to get where you want. We all slip up and make stupid decisions and you just have to learn from them (and then not make then again... Important point).

I don't think you need to go crazy rice and beans, you both work and make good money. You can finish climbing out of the pit for sure.

Think back at the two years of this thread, look at the successes and the failures. Why were the successes possible, what did you do there? You need to figure that out and then keep the momentum going.

You can do it, good luck.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Put it this way: If you had been putting even $50 in an account since last year, you'd have $600 to spend on Christmas, which should be pretty darn comfortable.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
KG, April's post pretty much sums up my thoughts. You hate planning and you're surprised by Christmas.

Keeping the car might make sense. I don't know. My only point is that you should plan for poo poo and honestly investigate alternatives.

I live in Canada because I was tired of the US, where I was born and raised. I also planned and saved a poo poo-ton for the baby and now I get to relax and enjoy her and buy Ergos. Things I don't have: new Toyota, PS4, new guitar, oculus rift, Camaro, WiiU. Things I do have: all day every day with my wife and baby.

What's the $4000 overage? It should show up as red in your categories. What are you hiding?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Ergo carriers are great. I had one. You can always get baby carriers for practically nothing second hand, if you know where to look, because a lot of people get given them in a baby shower and then never use them or use them once. I got mine free from a cousin whose baby never got on well with it - it was pristine! Never buy an expensive baby carrier new.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

n8r posted:

Perhaps this is just a basic disagreement on methodology, but I think this is terrible advice. Debt payments should be treated as a set in stone amount that doesn't change unless you've got a real emergency. If $1000 / month on the car payment is the set amount, this goes out every month regardless of whether or not KG/KGwife want to spend in other areas. The same goes for the savings, it comes out every month unless bad poo poo is happening.

Eh, I completely agree actually. My initial thought was "You're already blowing the budget, can you structure that to look more like budgeting?" but that sets a bad precedent and everyone else has better budgeting ideas for you Knyteguy.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Hey, KG, where's the missing $4000?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

Hey, KG, where's the missing $4000?

I've posted my numbers more than once. If you want to delve in further with it then feel free. I'm not worrying about it. As I've said multiple times I don't know. I don't care about header data, only the budget categories. If you pose the question to me again, as I've already answered it now more than once, then I will ignore your input moving forward. I've been super respectful and polite to you up to this point despite a lot of edginess coming my way, and I expect the same if you want me to acknowledge or consider something you post.

foxatee posted:

And this is why I rarely say a drat thing about my parenting-- because I'd get constant poo poo from other parents who think every parent should be the same, but most importantly, every parent should be like them.

KG, ignore all that poo poo. You know if you're doing good by your kid, and you know what you can and can't handle from your child. You also know your marriage involves you and your wife, not the internet, so gently caress people who think they can be critical of a relationship they know nothing about. They're just getting a snapshot of your life, and yet somehow think they can pass judgement. gently caress 'em. So long as your relationships aren't unhealthy, you just keep on keeping on.

This is BFC, people. Not the parenting thread.

Thank you.

Will get to the rest soon. Trying to finish up a project at work.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
How are you not concerned by a missing $4000?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

bringer posted:

How are you not concerned by a missing $4000?

It's YNAB's header data. I find it meaningless. They use poor terminology on some things up there, and it gets absurdly confusing when doing things like rolling over categories to the next month, or carrying a negative balance from the month before into the next month. If we had overspent by $4,000 then our net worth would have gone down drastically - we don't make that much money. However it went down or up by $100. And somehow we now have a $7,000 balance and last month we had a -$1,700 balance despite having money in categories. I can tell you guys that I can think of anything that would lead to $4,000. Not by a long shot.

I would move on from the system if it wasn't for my wife having access to easily enter in stuff through her phone. It has its merits for sure, and ease of access is definitely one of them.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I am honestly not sure if YNAB is helping or hurting you at this point. You blow off $4000 as some sort of technical glitch. You already have a line item for gifts, because you had the exact same problem last year. And as of today it has a grand total of...$0.

It's like you have no connection between the numbers and what it means for your life. How many cigarettes and red bulls can you buy for $100? And how does that compare with your consumption this week? The only way you are going to make a budget work is by having that conversation with yourself every time you go into a 7-11 and every time you open your wallet. Otherwise you'll be here again next year, saying the same old thing about how this time you're really serious.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

What was wrong with using Mint?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

It's YNAB's header data. I find it meaningless. They use poor terminology on some things up there, and it gets absurdly confusing when doing things like rolling over categories to the next month, or carrying a negative balance from the month before into the next month.

SiGmA_X posted:

I think you should go back and figure out what was missed in August causing the balance to go negative.. To me, it looks like you've been rolling over a lot of negatives. Every month. Bingo, there you go?

Because July's overages were the lowest in number, I started there. I refuse to hand-add the rest.

See how the sum of the overages equals the "Overspent in Jul" at the top of August?? That's how YNAB works. I've been using it for 2yrs, just like you - I should think you know this by now!

I also fully see why you have been hiding the top section of YNAB back in June and before. Don't do that! Data is your friend. Love the data. Even if it is mean to you. What's bugging me the most is I am only seeing $1,575.88 in overages for August - Where did the other $2,617.97 go? You must have some item as hidden on the budget sheet... Look into that. It does *not* just disappear. It means it was an overage and wasn't rolled forward in August. And being I can tie out all of the July overages to the "Overspent in July" number, it clearly means that it occurred only in August.

SiGmA_X covered this. You overspent by $4000, $2500 of which was the car. ~$500 was discretionary, and most of the rest is everything from your fixed (lol) expenses.

If your net worth didn't go down, it is likely because you added the car as an asset, which offset the expense you added. Off-Budget accounts affect your net worth.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Dale Sveum posted:

SiGmA_X covered this. You overspent by $4000, $2500 of which was the car. ~$500 was discretionary, and most of the rest is everything from your fixed (lol) expenses.

If your net worth didn't go down, it is likely because you added the car as an asset, which offset the expense you added. Off-Budget accounts affect your net worth.

I'm on my phone. Was that edited in? I didn't see that.

E it must have been. I think it was only up to bingo.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

I'm on my phone. Was that edited in? I didn't see that.

E it must have been. I think it was only up to bingo.
It was an edit. But its the issue. You're over spending and rolling it forward, and not clearing it.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Dale Sveum posted:

Nope, the car was after the $4000 discrepancy. But the following month they only budgeted $2k or so, which absorbed the $4k, then they bought the car.

It's confusing because he's making it so. There are two ways to handle overages. One is to roll it in the category. If you do that, then next month the category carries a negative balance but the overall "available to budget" number isn't affected. If you don't roll it in the category, then next month the category zeroes out and it's listed as "overspent" in the header, which then subtracts from your available to budget.

That KG sees key data as meaningless is indicative of how serious he is at understanding his finances. He clearly adjusted his budget to cover the overage, so something is weird. YNAB allows you to hide categories so they don't show up on the ledger, but anything outgoing still affects the budget.

So either he's hiding a large purchase or he's completely loving up with the software. But he says it's meaningless, so oh well.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
To illustrate further, you can see his August overall budget for debt is over $2k, but the line items don't add up, so something is not in the screenshot. It's whatever caused him to be over in that category in July (also not on the screen), so he budgeted extra to cover it. The balance of the $4k is somewhere else not on the screen.

Looking at September, he raided the emergency fund for $1700, which helped cover part of that $4k. That's the negative number on the left, it's basically taking money out of the emergency envelope. It looks like it went to the car, but it didn't. The car took a $2500 hit, but it wasn't budgeted for. There's an IOU slip in the Camaro envelope, NOT the money from the e-fund. So in the same month he raided the emergency fund to compensate for some mystery spending in August, then borrowed from the future to buy the Camaro.

Edit: You can see more evidence of compensating for that $4k, like budgeting $15 for Fuel. And for some reason still budgeting $39.99 for Internet. Looks like they may have bought a new phone without budgeting for it. Restaurants are insane. He clearly adjusted his numbers to handle that huge overage, yet claims he's not worrying about it. And that this reckoning and raiding of the e-fund happened the same month he bought a car, the rift, possibly a new phone, a lot of restaurant meals... Something smells really fishy here, and it's possibly contributing to this downward spiral of spending. (Is one of the animals maybe sick? Was there a surgery, and he doesn't want a lot of "I told you so" about not having so many animals?)

It's hard to use software if you don't understand how it works. The headers aren't misleading at all. They're exactly what they claim to be.

Old Fart fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 3, 2015

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

As I've said multiple times I don't know. I don't care about header data, only the budget categories.
I'm asking you to show all of the budget categories. You're hiding some of them.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Old Fart posted:

I'm asking you to show all of the budget categories. You're hiding some of them.
And definitely leave the headers visible. Take one screenshot of the top half, and scroll down and take one of the bottom.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The more I look at the Jul/Aug/Sep YNAB screenshot that Sigma marked up, the more head scratching I'm doing.

Why does income go from $5400 in July, to two months of $6200, to nearly $9k in Oct? In the new Oct budget that was posted, the income is listed as $7k.

Something is seriously not right when a bunch of people that have basic understanding of numbers/budgeting/etc are all confused as to what the gently caress is going on.

Why is the 'fixed' baby expense varying wildly between $370 in Aug and $750 in Oct?

Why did you drop the Aug utilities to $73, but actually spend $200 on it?

Did you buy a new cell phone in Sept?

-- I see mid post that Old Fart has edited his, and is catching onto these things.

I think it's probably worth ditching YNAB, but I've said that for a long time. I think it's time to consider looking for in person assistance with stuff. Obviously this thread isn't cutting it. Check out these guys:
https://www.financialguidancecenter.org/services
It looks like they've got a Reno office, and they can connect you with a person to assist you.

This is a problem for both you and your wife, if you aren't both on board getting this stuff straight, you'll just continue to blow the budget. I know that you wife did read the thread for some period of time, is she still?

Perhaps you should connect with one of the therapists on here:
http://www.financialtherapyassociation.org/search-by-state

Obviously do your homework, since they are paying to be listed on the site, but I'd bet some of the people on here would have no problem with Skype and are well qualified.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I think the fluctuations come from the fact that YNAB only allows him to budget money he hasn't already overspent. So in some months he has less money to allocate, which leads to $50 discretionary funds that are immediately blown. It's not like he ever intended to cut down to that, it's just a number YNAB forced him to write.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

foxatee posted:

Let's see, he said they've been tailgating, hosting get togethers, and doing family stuff every weekend. The wife got a new phone, which may or may not have cost them. And he went out of town for a few days or something. Plus the car wreck. I'm hoping that doesn't necessarily mean they went hog wild this past month.

This was early September. He also mentioned his computer dying, so I dunno if he fixed it or just bought a new one. I'll have to see if it was mentioned.

Edito 2-O: oh yeah, he said he fixed it.

foxatee fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 3, 2015

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
YNAB is confusing. Maybe you should make a budgeting app, KG! I honestly think one that is simpler than YNAB would be a big hit. I'd buy it. :)

Also getting your title changed to Engineer is actually a really good thing for your resume, so nice job on that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey guys I'm not much of a weekend poster (like many of you I think). I'll get to everyone's posts tomorrow.

Here's my weekly budget update:

Misc is over due to a fraudulent charge. My card number looks like it was stolen somehow. It read Amazon on my bank account, but after contacting Amazon they had no record of it, and something triggered anti-fraud with my credit union. I dealt with half of the anti-fraud service which cancels my card and informs the bank, and I'll let the bank know tomorrow which I'd guess is necessary for the charge back. After that I'll get rid of that charge on YNAB and the money will be back.

Luckily we've been entering purchases by hand or I may have missed that. I ordered some stuff today on Amazon and that payment cleared today, so it would have been easy to think that that was a purchase I made today.

Groceries is going quick, but we stocked up on a ton of dry goods, frozen foods, and soups. We should still be on track. We ordered all of our pet supplies for the month today as well, so pets should be good for the rest of the month. No restaurants this weekend, so that's a change of pace.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Do you have $7k in income this month?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Unroll the header.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Unroll the header.

Et tu, Sig?

I'll post it tomorrow. I'm not playing this game anymore after that.

Moving forward this thread isn't here to prove anything to anyone. It's here to help us get out of debt and to build a financial framework for the future. I'm appreciative of the fact that a massive community has pitched in a mountain of support to help achieve these goals, and I want to stay focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. Nothing else.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 5, 2015

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Et tu, Sig?

Moving forward this thread isn't here to prove anything to anyone. It's here to help us get out of debt and to build a financial framework for the future. I'm appreciative of the fact that a massive community has pitched in a mountain of support to help achieve these goals, and I want to stay focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. Nothing else.

Staying focused on the light at the end of the tunnel while ignoring everything around you is a good way to not notice that the tunnel is crumbling. Until you change your behavior patterns, you're never going to see that light up close. Or you will, briefly, then just stick yourself in a deeper tunnel.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

You're the one making it a game. If you're having trouble understanding the header, let us help you. But the fact is that you have $4000 of overages in August, most of which you have hidden from the thread. These overages likely contributed to the mindset that caused you to massively overspend again in September. Show the categories.

Why should anybody want to help you if you refuse to fully disclose?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

Staying focused on the light at the end of the tunnel while ignoring everything around you is a good way to not notice that the tunnel is crumbling. Until you change your behavior patterns, you're never going to see that light up close. Or you will, briefly, then just stick yourself in a deeper tunnel.

I'm looking into this. Waiting on CBT until we have insurance again. That should be next month-ish.

Old Fart posted:

You're the one making it a game. If you're having trouble understanding the header, let us help you. But the fact is that you have $4000 of overages in August, most of which you have hidden from the thread. These overages likely contributed to the mindset that caused you to massively overspend again in September. Show the categories.

Why should anybody want to help you if you refuse to fully disclose?

My bottom categories are truncated with the header data showing. I'm not going to upload two screenshots every time I share the budget. My intention here isn't to hide stuff. I find this incredibly petty.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Do you have $7k in income this month?

Available, yes. I borrowed a little bit from next month (which comes from this month's income).

In regards to posts I haven't hit (I'm in a hurry):
MRC - thanks
nikosoft - Interesting proposal. I'll give it some consideration, as I too think YNAB could be improved upon.
in_cahoots - Yes this happens often (YNAB funkery that can seem unclear)
foxatee - Mint doesn't work with credit union. I fixed the computer correct. I came incredibly close to buying due to some heat issues and then the thing not booting, but I fixed those issues (for the most part, the CPU still runs very hot). Most of the internal components are about 8 years old now, so I'm not sure how long they'll last.
Halloween Costume - Got an offer from a cool goon, but wife decided to make one. She's fine with paying for it out of discretionary. Prob $20-$30.
Sacramento trip cost - Roughly $60 or so.
Christmas - We tried to save up this year, but a lot of things came up. We want like $150-$200 total, and we'll make room out of our discretionary spending for this. $600 would be extravagant at this point. Maybe another year.

n8r posted:

The more I look at the Jul/Aug/Sep YNAB screenshot that Sigma marked up, the more head scratching I'm doing.

Why does income go from $5400 in July, to two months of $6200, to nearly $9k in Oct? In the new Oct budget that was posted, the income is listed as $7k.

Something is seriously not right when a bunch of people that have basic understanding of numbers/budgeting/etc are all confused as to what the gently caress is going on.

Why is the 'fixed' baby expense varying wildly between $370 in Aug and $750 in Oct?

Why did you drop the Aug utilities to $73, but actually spend $200 on it?

Did you buy a new cell phone in Sept?

-- I see mid post that Old Fart has edited his, and is catching onto these things.

I think it's probably worth ditching YNAB, but I've said that for a long time. I think it's time to consider looking for in person assistance with stuff. Obviously this thread isn't cutting it. Check out these guys:
https://www.financialguidancecenter.org/services
It looks like they've got a Reno office, and they can connect you with a person to assist you.

This is a problem for both you and your wife, if you aren't both on board getting this stuff straight, you'll just continue to blow the budget. I know that you wife did read the thread for some period of time, is she still?

Perhaps you should connect with one of the therapists on here:
http://www.financialtherapyassociation.org/search-by-state

Obviously do your homework, since they are paying to be listed on the site, but I'd bet some of the people on here would have no problem with Skype and are well qualified.

Income went up because: business income, wife's income increase (no insurance no 401k no HSA)

Phone - yes. My wife got a new phone in August or September. It was $200 outright. It'll pay itself back with the ability to enter YNAB expenses again (it just saved us a $35 fraud charge).

I'll check out the links re financial CBT. I'm willing to do what it takes. Not for you guys this time, but for me.

Baby expenses I explained. We came way under budget 1 month, and I used YNAB's autofill from last month values and didn't catch we were $400 under budget still. We still only came out $55 ahead because of being under budget.

All I can hit for now. Feel free to requote if something needs more explaining. Except for the header data. I'll post about that later after looking into it more.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Knyteguy posted:

My bottom categories are truncated with the header data showing. I'm not going to upload two screenshots every time I share the budget. My intention here isn't to hide stuff. I find this incredibly petty.

History shows otherwise. People are just trying to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

History shows otherwise. People are just trying to help.

I'll try to keep that in mind more. Text only communication can be difficult.

Edit: and when others are frustrated, then I become frustrated. As others have pointed out I can be an emotional spender, especially with stress. Vocal frustration here tends to make sticking to the budget more difficult, and more chaotic. This is a work in progress, but I'm not there yet.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 5, 2015

• Locked thread