Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's okay more Rebecca Mader is always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Right? You'd think they were building to something, but uh... I guess not!

What was up with Will burying something on the beach? Did I miss something?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The new season starts in two weeks, two previews:

Black Dark Swan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbK4DRXLy-M

New Character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEGbbv0a9bU
(I hope the rumor that she's Rumple's mother is true)

Get hyped.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Irish Joe posted:

Black Dark Swan

New Character

Get hyped.
Is this the one thread in which Irish Joe is posting unironically?

Anyway, can someone sum up what happens in these videos? I can't watch them here.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sweet, I only just finished the previous season. :allears:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

Is this the one thread in which Irish Joe is posting unironically?

Anyway, can someone sum up what happens in these videos? I can't watch them here.

Try these instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2xE3hAgHAU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arf70JnEg60

If that doesn't work, first is just a bunch of Emma's scenes from the show, culminating with her becoming the dark one while the voice-over teases that the Dark Swan is coming. Second is the red haired princess from Disney's Brave practicing archery in a forest.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
I hope they don't overdo the Brave stuff like they did the frozen, Jesus Christ was that awful.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Brinty posted:

I hope they don't overdo the Brave stuff like they did the frozen, Jesus Christ was that awful.

I want to wager a guess and say I don't see that happening. Frozen had a much bigger audience then Brave did. Honestly my only concern is them making GBS threads all over Merida's character who has made it clear she doesn't need a man in order to live happy.

I also hope that spoiler isn't true but I guess we'll see what happens.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why on earth would they make Merida Rumple's mom? I'm not spoiling that cause it's dumb

I guess I'm one of the few that thought the way the Frozen stuff was handled was pretty good. Still waiting for Powerline to hold a concert in Storybrooke

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Why on earth would they make Merida Rumple's mom? I'm not spoiling that cause it's dumb

The rumor is based on the fact that the show was casting Rumple's mother using a description that matches Merida. As for why, I mean, this is Once Upon a Time. Convoluted and incestuous backstories are its bread and butter.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
That's sounds almost dumb enough to be real. This show's always been doofy as all heck.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Haven't actually seen her movie but by the name I would assume Merida's thing is being brave, so they might be going for a contrast to Rumple who's main flaw is that he's a huge coward at heart.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Black Dark Swan

New Character

Get hyped.

I don't know if I like her new look, or if I'm upset about the stripper heels...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This season just keeps getting better:

'Once Upon A Time' Season 5 Will Explore LGBT Relationships, So Will Swan Queen Finally Become A Reality?
http://www.bustle.com/articles/111602-once-upon-a-time-season-5-will-explore-lgbt-relationships-so-will-swan-queen-finally-become

quote:

but to pin all our romantic hopes on [Mulan and Aurora] simply because it's the only direct mention we've seen of LGBT attraction thus far (save for Regina and Maleficent's past dalliance) is selling the most obvious choice short: And that choice is Emma and Regina, of course.

The Swan Queen fandom is alive and active — arguably more active than any other "canon" pairings, in fact — and full of viewers of all sexual orientations and genders who have picked up on the increasingly unsubtle attraction blooming between the two women. Emma and Regina's relationship has grown immensely in the last four years, from sworn enemies to reluctant allies and now to close friends and soulmates in denial of just how deep their connection truly goes. The intense moments they've shared over the seasons, particularly during Season 4, are clearly intentional — Horowitz and Kitsis themselves have made a point of saying that every single choice is deliberate — and indicative of bigger things to come between the two, I'd say.

The same middle-aged, purple-haired, no doubt multiple-cat-owning author also published her recommendations on how to throw a swinging OUAT premiere party (tip #1 - wear a blazer).

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I hope they make the dalmatian gay. :laugh:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Macaluso posted:

They're not going to. It was directly asked to the creators and they said no; reasonably it kind of fucks around with the timeline (because apparently there IS one that makes sense somehow). Plus, if you look at that preview video someone posted, Emma is being threatened with an arrow by Merida. And it's not looking like they time jumped, it looks like Camelot and her pre-Dark Swan hobo-hood. The whole "Rumple's Mom" thing was to get around casting a redhead and not have people automatically thinking Merida for next season.

Not like it would matter. I don't think many people even remember her name. It's always the princess from Brave.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

This season just keeps getting better:

'Once Upon A Time' Season 5 Will Explore LGBT Relationships, So Will Swan Queen Finally Become A Reality?
http://www.bustle.com/articles/111602-once-upon-a-time-season-5-will-explore-lgbt-relationships-so-will-swan-queen-finally-become

The same middle-aged, purple-haired, no doubt multiple-cat-owning author also published her recommendations on how to throw a swinging OUAT premiere party (tip #1 - wear a blazer).

WHAT

Don't tug at my heartstrings yo

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Pan Dulce posted:

Not like it would matter. I don't think many people even remember her name. It's always the princess from Brave.

I think you are seriously underestimating people's obsession with Disney. I can remember her name and I haven't seen that movie since it was in theaters 3 years ago (although I can't remember a single other person's name in it).

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Hey, season 5 is starting this Sunday. Looking forward to the show embracing Henry and his two moms as a nuclear family.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I stopped watching this before season 3 I think... and I saw it on Netflix and decided to start over from the start. So horribly good.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
The Dark One's Dagger is half of Excalibur. :psyboom:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
That was utterly bonkers and cheesy as hell. I loved it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
You'd think someone would've noticed that Merida wears a bracer, right?

That was kinda really square peg in round hole to get to where they needed to go but whatever, I've watched the show for 5 seasons now, I don't really mind that anymore.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It doesn't look like she's going to play it this way for long, but I absolutely love Emma, once fully committing to her role as the Dark One, playing it almost in a disaffected, cold manner. She reminds me of the Wilis and Queen Myrtha from the ballet Giselle or the obvious, Odile from Swan Lake. It's different than the way the other actors and actresses have approached portraying evil and I like that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Swan v. Merida fight was easily the best fight they've ever had on this show.

Also, just gotta love Snow's resignation at having amnesia for the 5th time.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I liked how they went from the big team moment of resolving to fix Emma's darkness problem only to cut directly to NOPE, they failed and now it's really bad. I didn't see it coming (probably should have, but I wasn't thinking about the flashback structure) and I can't wait to see Emma villain it up, hopefully for a good long while.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just wait, it's gonna turn out that giving themselves amnesia was all part of their collective plan, and Emma was in on it the whole time.

There were a lot of unintentionally hilarious moments this ep: the aforementioned resignation at the amnesia, Grumpy just randomly bursting into the diner before it left, Hook going "you did what" when Henry said he broke the pen followed by Regina going "you did what" when they told her they let Selena out, the apprentice surviving his death last season only to give them some extra info before dying again.

edit: and this was probably intended to be funny, but when Grumpy started ranting about how he's been on the sidelines since season 1

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 28, 2015

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

effervescible posted:

I liked how they went from the big team moment of resolving to fix Emma's darkness problem only to cut directly to NOPE, they failed and now it's really bad. I didn't see it coming (probably should have, but I wasn't thinking about the flashback structure) and I can't wait to see Emma villain it up, hopefully for a good long while.

It will be interesting to see just how exactly they gently caress it all up with her.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
All I know is the preview had Emma telling Regina that she's the Savior now, so save them. This season is going to be so good.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've been waiting for Dark Swan and have long thought that when it happened it was going to be the high point of the show. I'm very excited for this season.

Am I wrong for wishing they'd have made Dark Swan more attractive? I was ready for unfettered hotness when the flash forward began.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Am I wrong for wishing they'd have made Dark Swan more attractive? I was ready for unfettered hotness when the flash forward began.

So less Tilda Swinton, more David Bowie?

Emma has always been a pill, so it stands to reason that she'd be a less glamorous villain than... well, any other villain this show has ever had.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Did you SEE the past Dark Ones? Rumple looks like a drat wet frog, there was a fire breathing boar, and if I'm not mistaken, the one before Rumple, Zoso, also looks like a golden glamour toad. She lucked out.

Also, I thought this was interesting. Inspiration wall for Dark Swan!

It was on Jennifer Morrison's Instagram with the message Day 19: one of my #darkswan walls of inspiration. #101smiles #uglyducklings

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Welp.

I quit watching when Gold got ousted by Belle and started his "evil wins this time" thing all over again, this is looking to be way better though.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

So. The actress playing Belle, Emilie de Ravin, is pregnant. Good news! Except maybe she'll either be written off season 5B or somehow written in pregnant like Snow's pregnancy was with Ginnifer Goodwin.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Pan Dulce posted:

So. The actress playing Belle, Emilie de Ravin, is pregnant. Good news! Except maybe she'll either be written off season 5B or somehow written in pregnant like Snow's pregnancy was with Ginnifer Goodwin.

If they don't take the opportunity to somehow write it in as a baby Rumple, then they're crazy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why The Knave hasn't been around, he knew he got Belle pregnant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So whomever wrote that Fury confrontation clearly watched Guardians of the Galaxy.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Are the royalties on Yaz that cheap or is it a running joke for shows to use Only You now?

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Rhyno posted:

So whomever wrote that Fury confrontation clearly watched Guardians of the Galaxy.

Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing, I'm just disappointed we didn't get a dance-off to go with it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GLOSS posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing, I'm just disappointed we didn't get a dance-off to go with it...

We got YAZ twice in one episode, had it played a third time everyone would've burst into dance.

• Locked thread