Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I haven't really done any serious kitbashing or larger scale conversions in a long time, but I mashed together a Taurox and a Trukk to make a pair of Trukks for my Blood Axes. I think they came out pretty good:

My only problem was finding a bottom half for the rokkit boy up top, since I don't have legs to spare or the turret torso bit from the Battlewagon, Instead I stuck a bunch of pouches around his waist to cover it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Those loving own. Best use of the lovely Taurox mini I've ever seen.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ilor posted:

Those loving own. Best use of the lovely Taurox mini I've ever seen.

Have you seen my Tauroxes? I genuinely love that model and think that as long as it's not in baby blue it can look great.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I realized I didn't do it yet, and I hope it's okay to do a little plugging since it's miniatures related, and related to the stuff I've been painting.

I've been working on updating the rules to fallout: warfare, condensing some of the errata from the game designer into one book and looking at doing some play-testing/refining of the rules, since the designers abandoned it, because they ran out of time before the release of Fallout: Tactics. Basically I want to see if I can do a "fan revivial" of the game.

Feel free to check it out, and maybe even contribute.

Edit: That is, fallout; warfare, the official minitures game. Oops, forgot the subtitle.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 4, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM: Finding more ways to make the Taurox look good :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So does anyone know where I could go to find Jojo, as in the anime, model-sized decals? V specific I know, but I need them. I can only find stickers.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Anyone have any tutorials or tips on how to paint blue /turquoise fire? Looking at painting some legion ravigores

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I quite like this type of Taurox myself:

That's my half-painted Taurox. The original idea is based off a BMP Chimera conversion I saw somehere, I just added the side doors. I wanted a one that looked like it belonged in my mech IG.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
More fire, more green, more burny.

Album -> http://imgur.com/a/IpIqU

Gigantic severed head is magnetised, as are the chains.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some awesome looking derpy and non derpy Tauroxes on this page.

Also Salamanders

Foolster41 posted:

I realized I didn't do it yet, and I hope it's okay to do a little plugging since it's miniatures related, and related to the stuff I've been painting.

I've been working on updating the rules to fallout, condensing some of the errata from the game designer into one book and looking at doing some play-testing/refining of the rules, since the designers abandoned it, because they ran out of time before the release of Fallout: Tactics. Basically I want to see if I can do a "fan revivial" of the game.

Feel free to check it out, and maybe even contribute.

Your link is broken my dude :(

Tactics was one of my favorite tactical games. I definitely wanna check out what you did with their system.

mentos posted:

I just finished the Vostroyan Standard bearer and I knew it was going to be tricky going into it but it turned out harder where I didn't expect it. The banner itself was actually easier than I thought, in fact the details are pretty defined and have some sharp contours for line edging, but the rest of the miniature was a nightmare. First of all, the thing is so loving top heavy I dropped it like 3 times and had to re-glue and repaint the sword twice, next it looked like the QC guy for this particular model was out for lunch only to come back and apply a zippo lighter to the face of the model. LMFAO if the picture on the box isn't a 3 up scaled down for the photo. After trying to paint "RST BORN" half a dozen times on the scroll I finally settled for a forgeworld transfer. At any rate 4 solid days on a single guy and the results are what they are. Which isn't bad: I am just fed up with this guy.

This thing rocks btw, god drat

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Painted this guy today at a UK wargaming show (please excuse the logo and all, it was a pic for Facebook), it's the Kanjira the World Breaker model from Reaper Bones. Glad to finally get it painted, but it's got gaps and mold lines all over since I had to grab it last minute to have something big to paint at the show.

I'm hoping to use him as a bloodthirster or greater daemon in 40K but not sure about the size (over 7" high).

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Oh yeah, sorry about that. It's at:

http://falloutwarfare.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Warfare_Wiki

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

krushgroove posted:

I'm hoping to use him as a bloodthirster or greater daemon in 40K but not sure about the size (over 7" high).

Use him as one of the FW Daemon Prince Lords or whatever, those models are gigantic.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Another Infinity mini finished, this time the Hunzakut Sniper:

His pose begged for something upon which to kneel. Fortunately, I had a ragged chunk of cork that exactly fit the bill.

Now, to work on my Ghulam infantry...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

More fire, more green, more burny.

Album -> http://imgur.com/a/IpIqU

I'm not trying to be malicious, but I have a honest comment to make. Your painting's decent, but giant half-lizard head on Land Raider is bordering on being an entry in the Unspiration thread.

Edit to be constructive - It would probably look a lot better were it lowered against the glacis. Right now it looks like a dinosaur-shaped erection.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 4, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

everythingWasBees posted:

So I know that Tamiya is probably the premier producer of tools for plastics, but who're the good brands for tools for metal? I'm planning on doing some conversion work and am in dire need of a tiny saw and some files.

One thing I've discovered over the last year building model ships, is that good files make a huge difference over 'hobby' files, and good files are really stupidly expensive.

I use mostly Vallorbe files (http://www.vallorbe.com), but there are other good ones out there. For some strange reason, very much like chisels, the best files in the world seem to be Swedish made. What I did was go to Vallorbe's web site link, and in their downloads section, is their general catalog which gives great information on what the terminology of files is (i.e. what do the letters and numbers all mean, and what exactly *is* a barrette file or an escapement file?).

Basically all files are identified by type of file, shape, length and the cut (teeth per inch). Once you know what the exact file is you want, then you can just do a google search and see if you can find one on Amazon or something, or visit your favorite jewelers supply house (what, you don't have one of those?).

Some good sources:

http://www.ishor.com/files

http://contenti.com/files

And of course - Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Vallorbe+Files

If you need a decent selection of really good files, be prepared for some price shock. Individual files will cost from $10 to $25 each, depending on exactly what you want, but the difference in using one of these files, and your typical file found in a hobby shop is night and day. I don't even keep any of my old collection of files (I had dozens of them) out where I can find them anymore. Especially with very small rat-tail files, it's really difficult to overstate how much better a Vallorbe file is in relation to anything that I had before.

You'll also need something to clean your files, that won't also wreck them! I use these two soft brass brushes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058ECDGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKIEKS2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Edit: Saws!

This little saw is probably my most used tool other than the X-acto. I cut everything with it, and it's amazing.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=37

I use it with this sweet micro-mitre box.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=3340

Note that these blades are a bit fragile and easy to break, but they work fantastically, and have a very small kerf (width of cut).

The Locator fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 4, 2015

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Nice poo poo! I like UMM's stuff and the saw I've been using to customize pewter Infinity minis with is kinda crap so this was just in time. :)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lord Twisted posted:

I love it.

Z the IVth posted:

I'm not trying to be malicious, but I have a honest comment to make. Your painting's decent, but giant half-lizard head on Land Raider is bordering on being an entry in the Unspiration thread.

Edit to be constructive - It would probably look a lot better were it lowered against the glacis. Right now it looks like a dinosaur-shaped erection.

Remember when you made that battlesuit and everyone told you it had big thighs? Didn't that hurt your feelings? Aren't you just perpetuating the cycle of violence?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

Nice poo poo! I like UMM's stuff and the saw I've been using to customize pewter Infinity minis with is kinda crap so this was just in time. :)

Glad I could contribute something useful to the thread. Normally I just look at the pretty painting, since I don't paint miniatures. Someday maybe I'll decide to do a diorama instead of just a ship, and add crew or something, who knows.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Z the IVth posted:

I have to agree. It's also very front-heavy what with the lascannon sponsons also being on the front. Not to mention it seems to completely block the cupola, which forces the viewer to ask "why is this here?" (That isn't usually a good thing.)

My other main complaint is the fire effect around the bottom of the treads. It's the brightest thing in that area and it just draws my eye to it immediately. Especially on the tabletop, you don't need the viewer's eye drawn to the board itself. (Granted, the huge dinosaur head helps in this regard.)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'll admit I'm not really thinking about the practicality of strapping half a Carnosaur head to my Spartan, I just had a spare Carnosaur head and went gently caress it, this has to go on the front.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Lord Twisted posted:

I'll admit I'm not really thinking about the practicality of strapping half a Carnosaur head to my Spartan, I just had a spare Carnosaur head and went gently caress it, this has to go on the front.

I think you should have gone full Texas - rolls of barbed wire on the hood, chrome everywhere, etc.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

enrious posted:

I think you should have gone full Texas - rolls of barbed wire on the hood, chrome everywhere, etc.

After Vulkan the next project is a Contemptor which has a Bastilodon hide as a shield.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Lord Twisted posted:

After Vulkan the next project is a Contemptor which has a Bastilodon hide as a shield.

Don't let Leperflesh hear that.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Some Big'uns and a Warboss on foot.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Them's some good lookin greenskins, dmnz. I really like the mix of shields on them.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Thanks SRM, that means a lot from you :)

Most of the original round shields were lost over the years, so I've raided the bitbox and retconed that they've been looted as trophies.

It also makes the monopose models a bit less obvious.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I hope I'm not starting to sound too invested emotionally, but leave carnosaur alone *sob*

Seriously. It's a 40k tank. He actually made it look like those cool Ghostbusters vehicles with ghosts in them from when I was a kid. Or those Jace and the Wheeled Warriors Monster cars. Or anything else awesome.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Seriously. It's a 40k tank. He actually made it look like those cool Ghostbusters vehicles with ghosts in them from when I was a kid. Or those Jace and the Wheeled Warriors Monster cars. Or anything else awesome.

Somehow you've unintentionally hit on exactly the reason I stopped buying Games Workshop products.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's the reason *I* stopped buying them, too! Let's be best friends.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dmnz posted:

Thanks SRM, that means a lot from you :)

Most of the original round shields were lost over the years, so I've raided the bitbox and retconed that they've been looted as trophies.

It also makes the monopose models a bit less obvious.

If anything that makes them orkier!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's the reason *I* stopped buying them, too! Let's be best friends.

:hfive: I was really lucky that GW did a rash of stupid poo poo just as I was thinking about getting back in so now I'm making some Kukulkani. And gnashing my teeth at how fiddle the bits are...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Whereas I think the problem is GW trying to make serious looking models. They need to go goofier. 40K is not and never will be a serious setting.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The Locator posted:

I use mostly Vallorbe files (http://www.vallorbe.com), but there are other good ones out there.

Turns out most US stores call these "Grobet" files. I bought one. It better be as good as you say. :colbert:

JackMann posted:

Whereas I think the problem is GW trying to make serious looking models. They need to go goofier. 40K is not and never will be a serious setting.

I defy you to tell me that a Space Marine Centurion is meant to be serious.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Turns out most US stores call these "Grobet" files. I bought one. It better be as good as you say. :colbert:

Grobet is a US manufacturer and distributor. Vallorbe is an actual brand of file from Switzerland. I might have to order something from Grobet and see what they are like. They appear to have both swiss style and US style, not sure what the difference is.

Edit: The files that I purchased from Amazon that were simply "Vallorbe" are now "Vallorbe/Grobet", but they are Vallorbe files, so apparently that description is catching on for some reason, even though Grobet is a company.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 5, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

You weren't kidding about the prices, but these look pretty fantastic. Is there one that you'd recommend as a general purpose file, just to start with?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

You weren't kidding about the prices, but these look pretty fantastic. Is there one that you'd recommend as a general purpose file, just to start with?

I can't really say, as it depends heavily on what you are doing with the file. I use the precision round (rat tail) files a lot for tiny detail work and cleaning out small holes, but since they are round, they are useless for lots of things. I probably use the Barrette special as much as anything, as it's flat, and only the one side has teeth (that's what a Barrette file is, 'safe' on all but one side), but I also use a square, a half-round, a triangle, and a knife file a lot too, it's all based on what sort of space I need to get into, and how I'm trying to file/shape my work piece.

If I had to pick only one, I might go with this Barrette - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V0HHG7M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

If you can afford to do it, I got this set - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T9IRVEW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 and I use every one of those files, but it doesn't appear to be available at the moment on Amazon.

Here is another set just like it, but with a different cut (fewer teeth/cm), which is available - http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-SWIS...60_SR160%2C160_

The set consists of 160mm long files (set of 6) Cut 0 (20 teeth/cm) - Composed of: LA2401 (pillar - rectangle) LA2402 (half round) LA2407 (Three square - triangle) LA2408 (square) LA2410 (round) LA2411 (Barrette) and costs $70.

Also, they are also listed as "Vallorbe/Grobet" so I guess Avenging Dentist is right, and they are calling precision Swiss style files Grobet now for some reason? :iiam:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The Locator posted:

Also, they are also listed as "Vallorbe/Grobet" so I guess Avenging Dentist is right, and they are calling precision Swiss style files Grobet now for some reason? :iiam:

I was having trouble finding places with a more complete range than Amazon, so I searched and found this, which probably explains things (and made it easier for me since I had another search term):

quote:

Formerly marketed in the United States using the brand names Grobet-Swiss and Grobet-Vallorbe, Glardon-Vallorbe Swiss Made Precision Files are made of the finest heat-tempered, chrome alloy steel and have the "right" feel, action and balanced desired by all true craftsmen.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

:nms: seeing the finished diorama completely open and exposed to the elements. A falling tree branch could undo months of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

I was having trouble finding places with a more complete range than Amazon, so I searched and found this, which probably explains things (and made it easier for me since I had another search term):

Excellent find. Bookmarked that for future use!