Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mulderman posted:

The term "Fish" can be used in a much broader sense that Mink... Just saying man.

Yes, absolutely. Just because they're called minkmen doesn't mean they're all minks though. It might, but it's a little early to start calling people out by posting pictures of minks.

Especially when there's apparently a Japanese pop star called Mink. Let's just watch her music videos instead of arguing about minkmen, who all we know about is that they live on an elephant and are worth 700,000 as slaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFAvTrjip8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Mulderman posted:

The term "Fish" can be used in a much broader sense that Mink... Just saying man.

you can take as broad of an interpretation of the word "fish" as you want, octopodes are not fish. And yet

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
6 arms vs. 6 legs, one of those has a distinct advantage.

Also, I remember Hachi but I don't remember anything at all about that other guy.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was kind of the problem with most enemies from Fishman island.

I know he got drunk and started cutting enemies and allies alike but that's about it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

sharktamer posted:

6 arms vs. 6 legs, one of those has a distinct advantage.

Also, I remember Hachi but I don't remember anything at all about that other guy.

That's because nobody from Fishman Island is worth remembering.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TriffTshngo posted:

That's because nobody from Fishman Island is worth remembering.

Fisher Tiger.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tane

oddium fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 20, 2019

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Gyges posted:

Fisher Tiger.

Eh, I don't really count flashback characters. He's great though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Caesar exists to force Kaido into concoct with the strawhats to get his fruit factory back up and running.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Hyouzou was a Blue Ring Octopus Fishman, a swordsman, said to be the strongest Fishman swordsman. Arlong tried to convince him to join his campaign, but he couldn't afford him. (All Hyouzou cares about is money.) He had a brief scuffle with Luffy and two other fishmen before we realized how strong he was, he appeared to lose in one hit but it was later revealed he poisoned Luffy and would in fact have killed him, had he not endured Magellan's poison before.

He doesn't care about his allies, he drinks like a fish, and he effortlessly cut through metal BEFORE taking energy steroids. He enters a weird red-skinned state when he gets drunk, and coupled with E.S. he becomes a berserker, obsessed with cutting and slicing and will hurt anything in his path. He originally tried to go for Robin, but Zoro intercepted him and easily destroyed him. He's not above using poison, attacking the weak, and other slimy tactics. A real piece of poo poo, and cocky too. In the end he couldn't stand Zoro's arrogance despite the obvious gulf of skill between them.

All of that without visiting a single website. This thread tends to dog pile on Fishman Island but it was a very necessary arc. If the Strawhats had struggled against their first opponents post-timeskip, you'd all be bitching about that instead. And as a whole, it was still better than most of what other entire series have to offer.

Personally I think these last few chapters have been fantastic and I'm excited for One Piece every week but this thread seems to be having a pissing contest lately to see who can point out the most flaws or be the first to jump on "poor writing". Not remembering Hyouzou is your problem, not Oda's.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can't even read your post, that's how boring and tedious I found Fishman Island. I do remember that guy though, I remember thinking he was one of the at least slightly interesting/entertaining villains, like the only one.

And wow if this thread spends every week critiquing flaws then it really must be getting better from the IMPERVIOUS ODA CAN DO NO WRONG age. Reading some of the older threads it either alternates between "Wow this manga is so complex and nuanced" to "Hey, you're expecting too much from this manga, this is just a kid's manga" in the face of criticism, creating a kind of fluctuating "just right" space of being impervious to criticism and having it both ways (or worse "OMG why is Tumblr in my thread right now lol right guys" if someone's expresses some mild concern about female characters being damsels in distress/not getting cool fights/being sticks with increasingly expanding boobs whose initially interesting and cool costumes are now just bikinis or tiny cocktail dresses/etc...Still far better than the poo poo I see people posting from the anime though. Yikes. :lol: http://oen-peice.tumblr.com/ ).
I did enjoy looking back on people's responses at the time when reading Dressrosa though, feels more fun/genuine that way.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 2, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tbp took a lot of flak for posting his criticism over the years yes. shows just how long its been since the pace slowed a lot

all the villains on fishman island being chumped is a bit poo poo because it made a mess of the arc. not really sure how it could have been avoided though since it wasn't even in the new world other than avoiding any conflict at all there which might have been preferable

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
This thread didn't know what the gently caress a mink was so my standards for it are already rock bottom.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

This thread didn't know what the gently caress a mink was so my standards for it are already rock bottom.

I think most people know what minks are, the thread is just currently divided between people who take minkmen literally and think they're all humanoid minks and people who think it is a catch all term for a race of humanoid animal people living on Zou. I am in the latter camp.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what about snake neck people

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i still dont know what a mink is

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

i still dont know what a mink is

A family member of the weasel.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Parrotine posted:

If he can make it work, do it Oda.

I'd rather have him than Jinbei, the most boring character in recent memory. That's right you wolves, I'll fight every last one of you over my words, don't hold back now

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Jinbei will be cool if they make him the straight man of the crew, similar to how Law behaves around them.

That role is not really fulfilled by anyone. Robin is quietly amused by all the gags and has a habit of say weird morbid stuff and Zoro has a bunch of gags that are all his own, like fighting with Sanji over stupid stuff, constantly getting lost etc. Oda will find a way to make him work I'm sure. I mean I was never really a fan of Law , but Oda made the comedy moments with him work really well, so I have faith.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jinbei, permanently agape at how the strawhats act.

Like a fishman Steve Harvey.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wish Jinbei kept that look, it's way better than what he's sporting now

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't see arlong in that hat without thinking he's dressed like jack nicholson's joker

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Koala for next crew member. I don't care that she's with the Revolutionary Army. Make something up and make it happen, Oda.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Pandaman should be the next crew member

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd like to see a long and profound Weeble arc that ends with him joining the Strawhats. The legacy of Whitebeard lives on. :911:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm looking forward to Weeble getting destroyed by someone. Not a fan of dumb poo poo Lennies being controlled by their rear end in a top hat moms.

Hands down the worst part of the Adams Family movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Now that I'm caught up I really want Weeble to be legit his son tho, if I only because of all the tard fans out there freaaaaaking out and going NO WAI HE'S NOT BADASS ENOUGH TO BE THE REAL SON

Cuz it's like, this is how it actually works guys, this is why hereditary monarchies don't work out and why Napoleon II wasn't gonna be a great general. I kinda like the humorous realism of Whiteboard screwing some gold digging broad years ago and having a broken (though still kind of Whitebeardy) son. It's mundane and amusing for me.

Plus he doesn't fundamentally seem like a bad guy, that's more his mom.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The best part about this development is the reminder that Whitebeard's family name is Edward.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZiegeDame posted:

The best part about this development is the reminder that Whitebeard's family name is Edward.

What's so strange about that? Luffy, Dragon and Garp's family name is "Monkey", after all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

He's killed a lot of civilians, though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

JosephWongKS posted:

What's so strange about that? Luffy, Dragon and Garp's family name is "Monkey", after all.

Edward is a common English given name.

Newgate is an English surname.

I hope you've learned something today.

(Monkey is neither of these, and is it's own brand of ridiculous.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I'm still reeling from that, but it's whatever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Now that I'm caught up I really want Weeble to be legit his son tho, if I only because of all the tard fans out there freaaaaaking out and going NO WAI HE'S NOT BADASS ENOUGH TO BE THE REAL SON

Cuz it's like, this is how it actually works guys, this is why hereditary monarchies don't work out and why Napoleon II wasn't gonna be a great general. I kinda like the humorous realism of Whiteboard screwing some gold digging broad years ago and having a broken (though still kind of Whitebeardy) son. It's mundane and amusing for me.

I don't want it to be true just because Weeble's mom is so tiny and Whitebeard was so gigantic. That's some hosed up poo poo that you'd have to pay a few bucks to see in Tijuana back in the '50s.

ZiegeDame posted:

Is it? In One Piece people have their Surnames first and last with little reasoning other than general feel rightness.

Also I'd find it hilarious if Weeble's mom just assumed Whitebeard's surname was Edward when it was actually Newgate.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...And it took me to just now to realise why Luffy and Weeble might ever come to blows: It was Luffy's 'brother' that cost Weeble's 'father' his life, so if he truly believes that, then there's the opportunity for revenge by proxy.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Well, he already outright stated he believes there to be a link between Marco, his target, and Luffy, so he intends to go see the Strawhats. They're already going to meet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Done with Alabasta. What a rush.

Crocodile was a superb villain. Oda really has a knack for writing boss-tier bad guys who are both eminently hateable yet still engaging. It's been said (I forget by who) that the audience will hate a good villain but love a great one, and Croc definitely qualifies. Arlong was a good villain, Croc is a great one.

What sealed the deal for me in particular was his cruel pragmatism. One Piece exists in a cartoony world just this side of actions having serious consequences (at this point in time at least), so Croc's sensible approach to villainy really makes him stand out. I remembered from my previous reading that he trapped the Straw Hats in a cage and threw away the key, but forgot the key he tossed was fake. I remembered the bomb, but forgot it was originally loaded into a cannon everyone was trying to stop; that the time bomb was Plan B. As someone leery of the heroes winning due to the villain's incompetence, Crocodile's calculated antagonism made his defeat that much sweeter. Besides which, Luffy lubricating his fists with his own blood was totally metal.

Lots of great emotional moments too. Kohza realizing the truth, getting shot; Luffy saving Vivi, decking Crocodile in the face; Tashigi pointing Luffy in the right direction; Pell's sacrifice (more on this later); rain at last coming to the parched kingdom; Mr. 2 acting as a decoy; and of course, the sign of friendship. Another minor one I liked was the King carrying Luffy out of the tomb. Kid probably never even dreamed he'd be carried around like royalty by actual royalty. His adventures have only begun and he's already come so far.

Regarding the fights, it goes without saying I have a better appreciation for them now. For the most part. Luffy's three fights with Crocodile are great, as is Usopp and Chopper's fight with Mr. 4 and Ms. Christmas. Sanji and Mr. 2's fight was also pretty fun, being chiefly played for comedy. Nami's fight though, eh, initially funny but ultimately unsatisfying. Not really that keen on her weather staff gimmick. I never really felt like she needed to get involved in fights in the first place since her worth as a crew member was proven in other ways, though I guess I can appreciate Oda trying to include her. I think it would've been better if she'd relied on her wits though, like Usopp. We know she's smart and capable of out-thinking her opponents, so I really wish Oda had gone that route instead.

Zoro's fight was flashy but substanceless, as always. I know Oda tried to couch it as him having a kind of battlefield awakening, but it still reads like he just decides to become stronger and beats an otherwise unbeatable opponent arbitrarily. Oh well, least it was short. Actually all the fights, barring Crocodile's, were short. Short and snappy. I'm good with that.

Shifting gears into stuff I didn't care for, I like Robin as a character but I've never been a fan of her power. It's visually interesting, but makes such short work of anything standing in her way - barring Logia-type devil fruit users - that I'm not surprised Oda allegedly finds it hard to write fights around her. In order for any of her fights to hold any tension, she either needs to exclusively go against people like Crocodile whose power renders hers less potent, or she needs to fight in an obviously sub-optimum fashion. The former would be contrived, the latter is unsatisfying. I know she's introduced as a "Villain" at first, gradually being revealed to be more, and doesn't actually engage in much direct combat this arc, but still.

Also, not a fan of Pell surviving. I'm generally okay with Oda's hesitancy to kill off named characters for a variety of reasons I could list off, but here it just defuses so many things the Alabasta arc had going for it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, not a fan of Pell surviving. I'm generally okay with Oda's hesitancy to kill off named characters for a variety of reasons I could list off, but here it just defuses so many things the Alabasta arc had going for it.

There's an argument to be made that Pell's willingness to sacrifice himself is what is actually important, and wether or not he died is irrelevant. One Piece isn't really the kid of story where character's just die either (shut up).

Saying that I think that Pell really takes the cake compared to other similar situations in the manga, (Mr 2 Bon Clay, for instance) though, and veers into being kind of bullshit.

quote:

I never really felt like she needed to get involved in fights in the first place since her worth as a crew member was proven in other ways, though I guess I can appreciate Oda trying to include her.

I think, since this is a shounen battle manga that's just kind of par for the course. I think the Clima Tact really comes into it's own in a later fight Nami gets, but yeah she doesn't really NEED to have a one on one battle, I think she works best as being able to handle herself against chumpos and generally just taking care of other poo poo.

Oda is pretty good with demonstrating Nami's usefulness I find. I think he only ever did the "oh man, look at Nami being all navigatory" once I think, but he's pretty consistently shown that whenever Nami ISN'T navigating, the crew is constantly nearly dying because the Grand Line is a loving death trap. Which is cool since it keeps that idea going but doesn't bog down pages with "oh phew we dodged our fifth tornado today.

I can't hate Zoro's fight here because I think Zoro throws a house at Mr 1 at some point?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

There's an argument to be made that Pell's willingness to sacrifice himself is what is actually important, and wether or not he died is irrelevant. One Piece isn't really the kid of story where character's just die either (shut up).
While I'd like to let it slide because it's in keeping with One Piece's general tone, the problem is his survival undermines the nature of his sacrifice. It'd be one thing if he were, say, taking a bullet for somebody. But he's not. He's carrying off a bomb explicitly stated to be capable of leveling a city. Crocodile claimed you could count its victims in the thousands, but it can't even kill one guy at point blank range? It waters down the threat to a ridiculous degree.

Not to mention you had those four royal guards who essentially killed themselves to try and get a swipe at Crocodile, all of whom pass without much fuss. I recognize they're not on the same level as a named character like Pell, but it makes Pell's survival feel even more artificial by contrast.

Prison Warden posted:

I think, since this is a shounen battle manga that's just kind of par for the course. I think the Clima Tact really comes into it's own in a later fight Nami gets, but yeah she doesn't really NEED to have a one on one battle, I think she works best as being able to handle herself against chumpos and generally just taking care of other poo poo.

Oda is pretty good with demonstrating Nami's usefulness I find. I think he only ever did the "oh man, look at Nami being all navigatory" once I think, but he's pretty consistently shown that whenever Nami ISN'T navigating, the crew is constantly nearly dying because the Grand Line is a loving death trap. Which is cool since it keeps that idea going but doesn't bog down pages with "oh phew we dodged our fifth tornado today.
Yeah, Nami's a proven her worth in several ways. I'm also not against her fighting, per se, the weather staff just feels like a really clunky way to facilitate it. I could see possibly growing acclimated to it with tie, but right now I can't say I care for it at all.

Prison Warden posted:

I can't hate Zoro's fight here because I think Zoro throws a house at Mr 1 at some point?
Yeah, okay, that was cool.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How many times has Luffy ended up getting poisoned anyway? Don Krieg, Crocodile, himself via mushrooms on Amazon Lilly, Magellon several times, Octopus guy at Fisman Island, Caesar Clown. Am I missing any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, now that I think about it. What was up with Crocodile's poison? Was it just a numbing agent? I sure didn't see Luffy chug an antidote. Not a big deal though I suppose.

Actually it'd be kinda funny in a grim sort of way if Luffy simply bled out all the poison.