Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

As a David Bowie fan, for all this game's references, there is disappointingly little David Bowie music. I think it's time I finally use the PC custom music feature...

So, I've seen a few people in this thread mention Big Boss' "decline" and rejection of the Boss' dream as happening in Peace Walker. My memory of Peace Walker isn't great, but are there specific moments/events that motivate the transition from a (seemingly) confused and down Big Boss at the end of Snake Eater, to the "I am a gun"/turning a loyal soldier into a memetic clone/gimme dat nuke of 70s/80s egotist Big Boss?

I guess my question is, I understand what he's doing and the immediate reasoning, but I'm unclear about what the catalyst in Peace Walker was. Was it that to fight for Amanda and the Sandanistas he had no tools except being a soldier? And in building MSF to fight Coldman he drew Cipher's attention, and then Motherbase and Outer Heaven and everything that follows is doubling down to protect himself and fight off Cipher? Like his ideology forming as a direct response to Cipher in Peace Walker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

On the subject of PF/FOB stuff: I've invaded a few people and never seen a defender. I had never been attacked until earlier today (or late last night) and was weirdly unable to retaliate at all. I could see the guy's name right there on the event list telling me he'd come in and stolen/killed some of my guys and... that was it? No option to get payback, no revengeance, nothing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Yeah Bro posted:

That's fair. Maybe it's a function of being lower on the EP ladder, but I am yet to find FOB's with worthwhile staff, so my only concern has been EP and making more GMP than deployment. I know invaders do GMP damage, but I don't know if that's equal to the reward plus facilities damaged, or just facilities.

Also, don't any successful invader take 10 men anyway?
That's what I thought, and that was the crux of the plan: They can only take 10 men, instead of 10 men + however many Security Team members they kidnap. And they can only take those 10 if they succeed, but there remains a chance of a defender showing up and the defender might win even with no guards present. In that case they get nothing, instead of "all the guys I Fultoned out win or lose."

My theory is that people will gladly take the 10 men (and the extra EP by taking a high Staff Rank Bonus guy through the empty FOB). But they're 10 crappy men I can replace by mindlessly sending out dispatch teams. I'm at the point now where my Security Team is actually really good and quite valuable, where my Medical Team is mostly not that important. So I'd rather lose 10 Medical shitbags every 18-24 hours than 15-25+ Security guys (plus 10 of whatever platform the guy hits, if no one shows up to defend it). A very clever person might realize this is a trick and choose to infiltrate my better platforms, but they'll have to beat the idiot who sees an empty defenseless strut and can't invade it fast enough.

Colapops posted:

On the subject of PF/FOB stuff: I've invaded a few people and never seen a defender. I had never been attacked until earlier today (or late last night) and was weirdly unable to retaliate at all. I could see the guy's name right there on the event list telling me he'd come in and stolen/killed some of my guys and... that was it? No option to get payback, no revengeance, nothing.
He probably didn't get a Combat Alert. If you're not detected the other player can see that you robbed them but has no option to retaliate against you. There are also quit exploits that prevent a wormhole or prevent one from closing, because Konami's online coding is a joke and a bunch of poo poo is clientside.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Colapops posted:

If you're on ps4 or Xbox then you need the paid online service to actively defend. Though by the sounds of it you were offline during the invasion. You can retaliate by going right on the invasion menu and there is a separate list of people who have invaded you and the amount they stole. If the guy didn't trigger a combat alert, then you are SOL and won't be able to retaliate.

Ed: Nakar, that's a fair point, and I'd probably be one of those folks grinding your med platform for easy EP, but it'll definitely minimize your losses.

Yeah Bro fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 3, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alright, I've wormholed in. Guess I'll put some gas mines at the fob target before hunting this invader down.

*triggers own gas mines*

*is kidnapped by invader while sleeping*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Alright, I've wormholed in. Guess I'll put some gas mines at the fob target before hunting this invader down.

*triggers own gas mines*

*is kidnapped by invader while sleeping*

I had a similar experience with D-Mines.

(I don't remember if posted this in this thread or the other thread)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApbJ4VY_ce8

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Yeah Bro posted:

Ed: Nakar, that's a fair point, and I'd probably be one of those folks grinding your med platform for easy EP, but it'll definitely minimize your losses.
The fact that you pointed out the Staff Rank Bonus, which I'd forgotten about entirely, proves this is almost an exploitative mutually-beneficial setup and thus even more genius than I thought. If you really want men, you can always invade some other FOB, but if you want a bunch of free Espionage Points just find some guy with Es in every stat and dash him through mine in under a minute, take your points and your 10 flower-pickers (and if you're right about the average staff level, S++ or S+ volunteers which do not come from me). So it might very well attract not just dumb people who strike the path of least resistance, but intelligent players who realize an empty high-level FOB is free volunteers and points. Why risk it on a real platform when you're being handed that for free?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
As a defender make sure to put mines where guards won't go, since they can trigger them.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RatHat posted:

As a defender make sure to put mines where guards won't go, since they can trigger them.
I like to put them on pipes and especially on the square things that you have to climb onto when you climb up a pipe. They're almost unavoidable there if you're coming from below.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

he probably just killed everyone

still impressive for am 80 year old man who spent the last 15 years in a coma

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

the wildest rear end posted:

still impressive for am 80 year old man who spent the last 15 years in a coma
That right there is why he's the best. The one and only!

NOTE: Statement not verified for accuracy.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

43: Shining Lights, Even In Death was amazing.

But gently caress Huey man. Even with the rawest poo poo happening to the Diamond Dogs he tries to leverage it to protect himself.

"They were loyal to you... I'M loyal to you!" Or whatever he says. gently caress yooouuuu

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I actually failed that mission almost immediately. They tell you to put the infected out of their misery, so I did.

[MISSION FAILED]

Gotta wait until Kaz tells you to... oops?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Colapops posted:

I actually failed that mission almost immediately. They tell you to put the infected out of their misery, so I did.

[MISSION FAILED]

Yeah, had that happen to me too. Apparently I was already too much of a demon.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Do you get any more major tapes after the Truth Records? For beating the rest of the extreme missions or anything?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No, they're the last ones.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hocus Pocus posted:

As a David Bowie fan, for all this game's references, there is disappointingly little David Bowie music. I think it's time I finally use the PC custom music feature...

So, I've seen a few people in this thread mention Big Boss' "decline" and rejection of the Boss' dream as happening in Peace Walker. My memory of Peace Walker isn't great, but are there specific moments/events that motivate the transition from a (seemingly) confused and down Big Boss at the end of Snake Eater, to the "I am a gun"/turning a loyal soldier into a memetic clone/gimme dat nuke of 70s/80s egotist Big Boss?

I guess my question is, I understand what he's doing and the immediate reasoning, but I'm unclear about what the catalyst in Peace Walker was. Was it that to fight for Amanda and the Sandanistas he had no tools except being a soldier? And in building MSF to fight Coldman he drew Cipher's attention, and then Motherbase and Outer Heaven and everything that follows is doubling down to protect himself and fight off Cipher? Like his ideology forming as a direct response to Cipher in Peace Walker?

The direct catalyst was The Boss's AI choosing to drown itself in the name of peace. Snake interpreted that as putting down her gun, which he saw as betrayal to her life as a soldier; betrayal to him as she was abandoning him in the end.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3nbfwn/datamine_tppdefinelua_lot_of_interesting/

Datamining shows there were 62 missions in total with 22 missions being harder versions. So i think we have like 8 harder mssions that either got cut or being saved for chapter 3 if it ever gets unlocked. Also turns out the nuke cutscene is waiting for info from some online server and it seems to be at least 3 different checks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Colapops posted:

[MISSION FAILED]

yeah, that was really annoying. As soon as the mission starts it says kill anyone showing signs of infection. I come across the first dude acting weird and clutching his throat. *Pop*. "BAWSS WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" *MISSION FAILED*

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The intro for the mission is so misleading. We get video feed of two scientists reviving as zombies and attacking the rescue team, but once in there, nobody acts like a zombie at all!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
"They're trying to get to the surface! Except all these guys who aren't, for whatever reason, and are perfectly in control of themselves."

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So why didn't they just get Mantis to possess Rex?

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

So why didn't they just get Mantis to possess Rex?

Aside from the fact that Snake had shot him to death?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah Bro posted:

No, before Snake even showed up. Why not have Mantis pilot REX from the word go instead of trying to get access codes from Sigint and Baker.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah Bro posted:

Yeah, and Mantis was also key in brainwashing most of the Genome soldiers into following Liquid, too. They mention after his death it's harder to keep the men in line.

Liquid REALLY needed Mantis a lot more than Mantis needed him. I guess the only reason Mantis hangs around Liquid is he gives him a direction in life.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think it was something about kids being better psychics because they are a mental blank slate.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

No, before Snake even showed up. Why not have Mantis pilot REX from the word go instead of trying to get access codes from Sigint and Baker.

Because Metal Gear Solid 1 came out first and the stuff in Phantom Pain is a retcon

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe even though Pyscho Mantis can control a Metal Gear, his control isn't fine enought to bypass nuclear launch codes?

Also, it's kind of inconsistant that we call Liquid Snake "Liquid" for short and Pycho Mantis "Mantis" for short. They both have the same naming scheme, it's just that Pycho is a much worse nickname...

Found on reddit:
Huey Did Nothing Wrong

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Mantis has a weird brain but finding out the firing solution for an intercontinental bullet is probably best left to a computer.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
there's also like 20 other guys named Snake so maybe Liquid just didn't want to confuse the genome soldiers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure Mantis was controlling the Metal Gear like a puppet rather than just making it work randomly. It was functional enough to have swords and poo poo but needed psychic help to move. Rex was fine it just couldn't shoot its nuke and you can't really puppet around that.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

Found on reddit:
Huey Did Nothing Wrong

reading this just makes me wish i could kill huey more than i already did

fuq u huey

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

Maybe even though Pyscho Mantis can control a Metal Gear, his control isn't fine enought to bypass nuclear launch codes?

Also, it's kind of inconsistant that we call Liquid Snake "Liquid" for short and Pycho Mantis "Mantis" for short. They both have the same naming scheme, it's just that Pycho is a much worse nickname...

Found on reddit:
Huey Did Nothing Wrong

A large chunk of those replies are people who didn't get the joke.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aurain posted:

A large chunk of those replies are people who didn't get the joke.

I did not look at the replies at all. Why would I do that.

The Stangelove and Hal part is so funny.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Snak posted:

Found on reddit:
Huey Did Nothing Wrong

That's clearly from 4chan! Am I the only sane man here?!

Seriously though you don't have to tell us that you took content from reddit that they took from 4chan

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah I don't know why i do that. I mostly just afraid someone is going to yell at me and be like "you don't need to post stuff that's on the front page of /r/metalgearsolid because we've all already seen it." So it was like, disclaimer or something. I don't know.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"D-Horse is a donkey" made me laugh more than it should have.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

I did not look at the replies at all. Why would I do that.

The Stangelove and Hal part is so funny.

I mean the ones on /v/ were, who cares about reddit at all?
It's remarkable how slow they can be.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Huey is really one of the better pathological liars I've seen in a game story. The performance really knocks it out of the park too, stumbling all over statements and pathetically reinforcing the things suggested to him. You can tell Ocelot is just standing there going "Uh-huh. Really."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Nakar posted:

Huey is really one of the better pathological liars I've seen in a game story. The performance really knocks it out of the park too, stumbling all over statements and pathetically reinforcing the things suggested to him. You can tell Ocelot is just standing there going "Uh-huh. Really."

I'm a little disappointed he does call out the bullshit "Strangelove locked herself inside and you can't open it from the outside!" *two seconds later* "When i opened it she had already died!"

• Locked thread