Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

anilEhilated posted:

Might be just me being slow but how exactly is a video game character's sexual orientation relevant to anything?

It's not, this is just what goons do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

anilEhilated posted:

Might be just me being slow but how exactly is a video game character's sexual orientation relevant to anything?

Well... when the bad guys of the game are Nazis, who were notorious for having treated (among many, many other peoples) homosexuals utterly horrendously, it can be a subtle bit of character development; like how it is hinted that Blazko has Jewish ancestry.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

It's not, this is just what the internet does.

Fixed that for you. The discussion pops up in other places as well, sometimes with more evidence than others. See: Ellie in The Last Of Us.

Other things that game and this game have in common: ZOMBIES. Basically they're the same game.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nalesh posted:

To be honest I don't really care, I'm just glad that if she is, it's not her entire loving character trait like all the games that claim to be hurrdurrprogressive by having a gay or lesbian character, but make their entire character that and nothing else(Borderlands the pre-sequel comes into mind)
Stereotyping in a different way is still stereotyping.

Right, like I said it doesn't matter either way, I was just curious. I think it speaks volumes to the MachineGames's ability to make interesting characters. Anyways sorry for the derail, I as just curious.

JcDent posted:

Best gay character was in Phantasmagoria II, anyways.

I heard that Curtis.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

This was a really embarrassing part of the game during my first play through. When the zombies first appeared, I didn't realize you could kill them by hitting them in the head with the pipe. Cue me running past all the enemies till I got to Pipa's place and got my guns back. :downs:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

anilEhilated posted:

Media representation of groups that have traditionally been oppressed is kinda a big deal.

Or did I stumble over a :thejoke: again?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No, I really don't get it. Call me a backwoods European peasant or something but I figure there's no point in having a minority represented just for the sake of having a minority represented. If her orientation played any role in the story, sure, but it really seems completely random here.

Then again, it got me heavily flamed in the Steam thread when I suggested Witcher 3 was perfectly fine without black people...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why do you care if this is the game depicting a gay character without explicitly talking about it? It's entirely possible she's simply talking about a very dear friend. It's also entirely possible that she's talking about a girlfriend. Given that media depictions of gay people are still uncommon, especially in video games specifically, I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if Annette was written as a lesbian. Doubly so given how rare in video games lesbians are included for anything but titillation - Bioware, I'm looking at you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's entirely the point - why should you care what her orientation is?
edit: Right, guess I just feel fishy about the whole positive discrimination thing. It's probably a minefield best stayed out of.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 3, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

For some folks it's a forward thinking demonstration that video game makers are adding more and varied characters. Rather than sticking with John Q Random white heterosexual male beefcake, you might have someone who represents a different gender or minority. I think there's scientific studies showing the beneficial effects of having characters kids can relate to in their media, Dora the Explorer may be a poo poo but she's Hispanic. With LGBT stuff coming more and more into the fore it's also pretty useful to have a character people of those persuasions can identify. Characters who are realistically depicted, and not Bioware crap. I think they must have had at least one good character but I can't remember it.

For other folks it's not really such a thing but then again as a straight white male I'm disproportionately represented in most media I consume. I think it's important to have the wider variety of representation though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dscruffy1 posted:

Characters who are realistically depicted, and not Bioware crap. I think they must have had at least one good character but I can't remember it.

Bioware's central issue with characters, if you'll pardon the digression, is that most people will agree that they do have a small number of genuinely good characters who are drowned out by a much larger number of mediocre or downright offensive characters. The problem is that very few players can agree on which characters fit into which categories.

In this case, Annette may or may not be a lesbian. And presumably if you rescue Kessler she dies. But still, a queer character portrayed completely seriously and whose sexuality is only an incidental aspect of the character is something rarely seen and welcome. No, it wouldn't change a thing if she was talking about a boy instead. That's beside the point.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

No, I really don't get it. Call me a backwoods European peasant or something but I figure there's no point in having a minority represented just for the sake of having a minority represented. If her orientation played any role in the story, sure, but it really seems completely random here.

Then again, it got me heavily flamed in the Steam thread when I suggested Witcher 3 was perfectly fine without black people...

Which sounds better:

a) more variety in characters
b) less variety in characters

Likewise:
a) more characters that a variety of people can relate to
b) fewer characters that a variety of people can relate to

If you're choosing b either time than I don't know what the gently caress

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Right, guess I just feel fishy about the whole positive discrimination thing. It's probably a minefield best stayed out of.

Witcher spoilers: Well the thing is, why would there be black people there, if I remember right black people do exist in the witcher world, but they're so loving far away by sea that they're rarely seen as high up as the games take place. So it wouldn't really make sense for them to be there, especially with a war going on.

But yeah, she's genuinely well written, no matter her sexuality, which is something I really hate about those writers that write obvious gay/lesbian characters in games to the point of mockery while proclaiming they're "progressive", some even using it to hide behind lgbt when they gently caress something else up(bioware)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 3, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

biosterous posted:

Which sounds better:

a) more variety in characters
b) less variety in characters

Likewise:
a) more characters that a variety of people can relate to
b) fewer characters that a variety of people can relate to

If you're choosing b either time than I don't know what the gently caress

The only problem with a) is if the writing staff is spread too thinly and the extra characters are essentially what you get from splitting one well-rounded person into eight cardboard cutouts. That being said, if adding more diversity to the characters doesn't sacrifice depth of those characters, then adding them is fantastic.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

anilEhilated posted:

It is a bit of a minefield. I'd say one of the better ways to think about it is to try inverting it. "Whoa, Pippa, that's potentially hetero, commenting on BJ's looks. I get that it's nice backstory, and it doesn't really hurt anyone, but do we really need to get this kind of hint whether a character's straight or not?"

Does that kind of thought make you a little uncomfortable? If so, think about why it does - is it that the question is wrong; are you assuming that there is a 'default' and that anything else is diverting from that default; or maybe a third option? The reason these issues are a minefield is that they're very grey, tricksy areas, when there often isn't a hard-and-fast Right Answer.

Thankfully, there isn't much to get vitriolic about on 'either side' of the discrimination debate in Wolfenstein - it's far more concerned with the Nazi/not-Nazi divide, and with the shooting of people who feed live prisoners to their dogs.

I didn't realise the choice was a choice here when I played, and swung by Kessler's direction first, so it was nice to see the alternate fight and Annette's scene. I think it's a good thing that neither character feels like the 'wrong' choice, that they've both been entertaining and human enough that it's awful whichever of them is overrun and killed.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

The only problem with a) is if the writing staff is spread too thinly and the extra characters are essentially what you get from splitting one well-rounded person into eight cardboard cutouts. That being said, if adding more diversity to the characters doesn't sacrifice depth of those characters, then adding them is fantastic.

I totally agree. I might have phrased it a bit weird, so my point might not have come across correctly - I'm in favour of "characters who are more varied," not necessarily "more characters who are varied."

(still not sure if that makes any sense. But we agree, that's probably the important point)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

biosterous posted:

I totally agree. I might have phrased it a bit weird, so my point might not have come across correctly - I'm in favour of "characters who are more varied," not necessarily "more characters who are varied."

(still not sure if that makes any sense. But we agree, that's probably the important point)

I feel like Fire Emblem works as an example of one of those but I'm not sure.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Samovar posted:

What happpens if you take tea with Pippa before you go off with the waiter job?

Not to put the kibosh on the fine inclusivity derail we're having, but someone feel like answering this?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

She comes out of the closet. All her flirting is just overcompensation, because she's British and thus deeply repressed in her sexuality.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

anilEhilated posted:

Being gay isn't a plot device in real life and it shouldn't be in stories, either. I think what this game does really well is leave us in a situation where someone could ask the question, but just like other aspects of her character it resides in her speech and behavior and isn't a bullet point.

The problem with Witcher is similar: people feel like there needs to be a reason to put black people in. They exist in the universe, and if it's anything like eastern Europe in the world we live in there would certainly be a noticeable, or at least non-zero, number of non-white people. Much like how you saw straight as a default state and homosexuality as a divergence that needs to be justified, the developers saw race the same way. This is quite definitely a bad thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't see it as default, though: even a mention of a character being straight should have a reason. We got it with Pippa to show that she's flirty when she's being herself as opposed to her disguise and it works to give her more character but in Annette's case it's not evident whether she's talking about a friend or a girlfriend - and it doesn't really change our perspective of her, hence my confusion on why should it be important.

I think a good example of how I think this should work is in Fallout: New Vegas with Arcade and Veronica; neither of them is very open about their orientation, they mention it after you know a good part of their stories and just as a little thing, but it puts the rest of what they told you in a different light.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

George posted:

The problem with Witcher is similar: people feel like there needs to be a reason to put black people in. They exist in the universe, and if it's anything like eastern Europe in the world we live in there would certainly be a noticeable, or at least non-zero, number of non-white people. Much like how you saw straight as a default state and homosexuality as a divergence that needs to be justified, the developers saw race the same way. This is quite definitely a bad thing.
If the Witcher is based around a fictionalized medieval Poland, the number of black people would be really limited I think. Like, you could literally count them on one hand. The presence of black people in Europe was minuscule up until the last few centuries*, with the largest concentration being found in the south and west. (Iberia of course being held by African Muslims, some of which would have been black.) Meanwhile Poland was so isolated from the rest of Europe that the Black Plague managed to nearly completely bypass it, which would mean any kind of non-Polish people would be a rarity, never mind actual black people. Basically, the presence of foreigners, especially ones as exotic as black people, might indicate a level of cosmopolitanism which from what I've seen of it goes entirely against the setting of the Witcher. Now I haven't actually played any of the games, so maybe not everything is the sorta medieval shithole setting that I have seen, but it certainly makes sense that the places that are like that would be entirely devoid of near any kind of foreigner.

That said, this argument works too to explain why black people could be a great addition from a story telling perspective, in certain cases. If for example you wanted to portray a rich merchant, a high-ranking noble or a king, as a worldly and sophisticated character, then including one or more black people in their household/court would be a solid way to do it, precisely because their presence would indicate a level of connectedness with the outside world which might be literally unimaginable to the peasantry. The real life equivalent of this person would be someone like Peter the Great, who historically brought Ethiopian Christians to his court during the 17th century, and who is of course known as a great modernizer.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

anilEhilated posted:

Fun fact: recognising that gay people or black people or whoever exist is not "positive discrimination"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: recognizing that something exists is different from shoving it in your face.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

anilEhilated posted:

Fun fact: recognizing that something exists is different from shoving it in your face.

:geno:

Well, there's a lot of ways to parse that statement.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Klaus88 posted:

:geno:

Well, there's a lot of ways to parse that statement.

I consider it a dick joke :smug:

Anyway this is a silly derail that is derailing pretty hard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If the Witcher is based around a fictionalized medieval Poland, the number of black people would be really limited I think. Like, you could literally count them on one hand.

What, can you only fit so many different races in a game because of all the griffins and fantasy monsters? If it's fantasy, what exactly is stopping you from saying 'and the races interacted a lot here'?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dscruffy1 posted:

I consider it a dick joke :smug:

Anyway this is a silly derail that is derailing pretty hard.

Well if the wolfenstein guys wanted us on track maybe they could have given us a train level :colbert:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

RareAcumen posted:

What, can you only fit so many different races in a game because of all the griffins and fantasy monsters? If it's fantasy, what exactly is stopping you from saying 'and the races interacted a lot here'?

The Witcher is set in circa-1200's Poland where the all the myths are true, so that'd be what's stopping them. If Projekt Red was based out of Spain telling stories about local folk fantasy set during El Cid's rule it's safe to assume that wouldn't be the case, but it's not the case.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RareAcumen posted:

Verisimilitude? A great diversity of people in one place implies something of great enough significance that people will travel far to get there, which could be a religious center, a bustling trade hub, or a center of learning. That can absolutely work for a fantasy game, no doubt about it, but it's a very poor fit for any setting where the emphasis is on the backwardness and poverty of the region. It's characterization, except for a place rather than a person.

The comparison to griffins and poo poo doesn't really hold up I feel, since those are really just window dressing, while racial diversity directly deals with human nature. Just handwaving that away and going "and the races interacted a lot here" basically ignores that the reason for widespread racial diversity in the most diverse regions of the world is usually violence on a massive scale, such as the conquest of the Americas followed by the enslavement of millions of Africans, violence which still influences the lives of the descendants of these people. Of course if you did actually include similarly massive events in your fantasy setting, and the aftershocks of those events, then that's great, but the handwave just comes across as whitewashing of history (through fantasy) to me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

RareAcumen posted:

Why couldn't Jade Empire have more white characters? Why does it have dragons and inscrutable engines, but not white characters?

FoolyCharged posted:

Well if the wolfenstein guys wanted us on track maybe they could have given us a train level :colbert:

I guess I should try and trust Machine Games more. They aren't the ones to make Thor's Super Special All Race Inclusive Buddy Squad or 90's Hip Inclusive Urban Ghost Busters or BioWare's All Our Gay Chards Have Dead SOs Ain't That Lyrical, which is a cheap way to get variety browny points. Machine Games put in legit effort to make everything full and worthwhile, and they already had that one sad lesbian in the concentration camp, and maybe Annette really has a super best friend like I never had.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The comparison to griffins and poo poo doesn't really hold up I feel, since those are really just window dressing, while racial diversity directly deals with human nature. Just handwaving that away and going "and the races interacted a lot here" basically ignores that the reason for widespread racial diversity in the most diverse regions of the world is usually violence on a massive scale
And the game does show such violent interaction anyway with the southern Nilfgaardian Empire waging a war of conquest and whom I believe is inspired mainly by the Persian Empire with a smidge of Roman Empire as well, which should technically count?

E: back on the actual game, do stealth-headshots prevent enemy nazis from turning into zombies, or is there no way of predicting it during stealth sections?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Can you really call a gay character being in a game "shoving it in your face"?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Goons being Goons posted:

:words: Gays, Blacks, etc :words:

:stare: Jesus Christ, sorry I asked about Annette, didn't know I' be opening this can of worms.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think when the game let it be ambiguous and pass without comment it showed it was classier than us by a long mile.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

radintorov posted:

And the game does show such violent interaction anyway with the southern Nilfgaardian Empire waging a war of conquest and whom I believe is inspired mainly by the Persian Empire with a smidge of Roman Empire as well, which should technically count?

E: back on the actual game, do stealth-headshots prevent enemy nazis from turning into zombies, or is there no way of predicting it during stealth sections?

Peeestol headshots? No, since they don't make heads pop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Verisimilitude? A great diversity of people in one place implies something of great enough significance that people will travel far to get there, which could be a religious center, a bustling trade hub, or a center of learning. That can absolutely work for a fantasy game, no doubt about it, but it's a very poor fit for any setting where the emphasis is on the backwardness and poverty of the region. It's characterization, except for a place rather than a person.

The comparison to griffins and poo poo doesn't really hold up I feel, since those are really just window dressing, while racial diversity directly deals with human nature. Just handwaving that away and going "and the races interacted a lot here" basically ignores that the reason for widespread racial diversity in the most diverse regions of the world is usually violence on a massive scale, such as the conquest of the Americas followed by the enslavement of millions of Africans, violence which still influences the lives of the descendants of these people. Of course if you did actually include similarly massive events in your fantasy setting, and the aftershocks of those events, then that's great, but the handwave just comes across as whitewashing of history (through fantasy) to me.

My point was more 'Hey, you're already throwing in dragons and werewolves and griffins into your fantasy game, I feel like it'd be less of a stretch to put in non-Europeans into it' And it is fantasy so to me, not knowing a lot about writing and game development or anything in general, it kinda seems a bit weird to make a fantasy world that also keeps some of the same negative trappings that we've got now.

DeusExMachinima posted:

The Witcher is set in circa-1200's Poland where the all the myths are true, so that'd be what's stopping them. If Projekt Red was based out of Spain telling stories about local folk fantasy set during El Cid's rule it's safe to assume that wouldn't be the case, but it's not the case.

Hey, that's useful stuff to know! I never got into the Witcher beforehand so all I knew about it was that it was an assumedly good series of games. That's a good enough reason to keep things semi-realistic as any, I'll relent.

JcDent posted:

Why couldn't Jade Empire have more white characters? Why does it have dragons and inscrutable engines, but not white characters?

Don't know anything about Jade Empire so why not?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

:stare: Jesus Christ, sorry I asked about Annette, didn't know I' be opening this can of worms.

don't worry it happens. personally i thought machine games handles diversity(racial and sexual) really well. its better then bioware or borderlands solutions by a mile.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

Can you really call a gay character being in a game "shoving it in your face"?
I'm not though?

TomViolence posted:

I think when the game let it be ambiguous and pass without comment it showed it was classier than us by a long mile.
This is what I meant. If it's ambigous, it's ambigous, it doesn't loving matter what her orientation is; either way it adds nothing to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JcDent posted:

Peeestol headshots? No, since they don't make heads pop.

Correct, the only thing that stops the nazis from coming back is luck and limb removal. Also, scripted falling deaths stop the Zombification process for some reason. You can stab a guy in the head and he'll regenerate as a zombie if you are unlucky.

• Locked thread