Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I need an NA invite, on Troika.

Also, the ATGMs the MBT-70 and Terminator fire utterly wreck dumb people and it gets them so angry. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

MeatloafCat posted:

I couldn't send one to drunkenclan91 either. Are you on NA or EU?

:siren: Attention all tea drinkers! We have a lot of new people joining the clan, so I'd like to make sure everyone gets a chance to review our training video. The specific weapons system demonstrated in the video is not currently available in AW, but I'm quite certain Obsidian will realize their omission and add it soon. Until then I feel we should still utilize the core concepts of this strategy as it will clearly put us far ahead of any enemy we might encounter. Here's the link: (you only need to watch until 6:30, something went wrong with the last 10 minutes but if you want to stare at the AreoGavin for that long I won't blame you.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Rr03hqDec&t=73s

Nope not VTOL or amphibious, garbad would disapprove. The m113 needs to be welded to the F-35 with a boat motor and given to the marines*.

*For 50 billion 150 billion.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 3, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hook me up with an NA invite- I'm Panzeh

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I spent the entire PVE match arguing with some drooling idiot over the secondary objectives being on a timer that expires. Christ how do these morons even get out of bed without hurting themselves.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So its saying I have to download a 2.9 mb patch but it will not download at all. Is anyone else having this problem?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The good thing about AW is I can completely divorce myself from giving a poo poo whether i play like poo poo or others play like poo poo. It's actually very liberating from when I play WoT where my mentality becomes the exact opposite.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

demonR6 posted:

I spent the entire PVE match arguing with some drooling idiot over the secondary objectives being on a timer that expires. Christ how do these morons even get out of bed without hurting themselves.

More impressive is the fine balance between drooling and aspirating their own saliva.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Agrajag posted:

The good thing about AW is I can completely divorce myself from giving a poo poo whether i play like poo poo or others play like poo poo. It's actually very liberating from when I play WoT where my mentality becomes the exact opposite.

This is exactly why I can play more games in a row than in WoT. Losing in WoT is so punishing, even when I play well. So raging at my team was always in the back of my mind. In AW I really don't give much of a poo poo if my team plays poorly. Personal performance is reward enough - finally a game that understands this.

Creating an environment where I have to rely on pubbies for a large reward just breeds toxicity. This mitigates that. Good.

Not sure if that was your point, but it reminded me of this.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

More impressive is the fine balance between drooling and aspirating their own saliva.

He even messaged me a short while later.. so I copy and pasted the quote from the AW website and provided the link then he promptly closed the window and disconnected.

ArsoN83
Apr 14, 2006
Could I get an EU invite? ArsoN ingame.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

demonR6 posted:

I had two different pubbies in two different matches send me off to the last objective as I was in the fastest vehicle... just so that they could run into the cap circle of the last point just as I was about to arrive at said objective, which always resulted in a whole army spwaning around me and killing me off in time. Resulting in the loss of the secondary objective, a death penalty... and in one case the loss of the match as the helpful pubbie than proceeded to 'help me', which means he ran off the cap zone, resetting the timer half way through, giving the AI enough time to close with him and dispatch him too. :shepface:

And I thought I would not get frustrated by pubbies in PvE, there were just not enough of them during EA it seems.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Also I can't seem to be able to sell tanks?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
There is not tank slot limit, so no reason to sell any tanks, more like Warthunder in this regard and less like WoT.

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

Also I can't seem to be able to sell tanks?

They disabled tank selling because in short time it was available some people already managed to sell their founder pack tanks by accident.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

That is actually hilarious.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Let's talk resources for map strategies.

First, the Armored Warfare site itself has some good write-ups for which portions of the map favor different types of tanks (MBT, AFV, etc.) and is useful for figuring out where exactly you might want to drive at the start of each battle.

Some of the maps also include color coding to easily identify areas of the map discussed in each article.

Example:

And here's some tactical positioning maps to help you find useful hull-down locations, sniping spots, scouting locations, etc.

(source: aw-guide.com, the links also include close-up shots of some of the positions, including short write-ups of map strategy)

Cold Strike

Ghost Field

Narrows

Pipelines

Port Storm

River Point

Roughneck

Missing: Reactor & Lost Island

And lastly a note on the maximum accuracy stat since what it does is nebulous, as it lacks a proper tooltip.

It would appear that maximum accuracy effects projectile dispersion and not maximum reticle size, as many of us originally thought.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 3, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
thanks now i continue to not know what maximum and minimum accuracy really mean.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
So uh, is this game actually any good?

I like all things tanks, but if this is just a reskinned WoT, I'm not so sure I want to play it.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 3, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Agrajag posted:

thanks now I continue to not know what maximum and minimum accuracy really mean.

The circle that gets bigger and smaller as you move, turn, etc. indicates your accuracy. Your shot is supposed to hit somewhere in that circle. So if part of a tank is fully inside a circle, you are guaranteed a hit.

Minimum accuracy is how "small" this aiming circle can get. The smaller this is the better (thus 'increases' in minimum accuracy are good. The smaller the circle, the better a chance of you hitting a target you have.

Maximum accuracy is how "big" the circle can be at any given point. Usually while driving the circle is the biggest. If you increase your maximum accuracy you make this circle start out smaller and only able to reach a certain size. With this you effectively decrease aiming time since your circle already starts out smaller.

As a quick rule of thumb - For sniping vehicles you want a better minimum accuracy. For Vehicles that move you want a smaller maximum accuracy. Same goes for lowering your aiming time.

e: As a notice, I am not sure if lowering your maximum accuracy decreases your aiming time or if this always a fixed number. In any case it helps for snapshots.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 3, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dezztroy posted:

So uh, is this game actually any good?

I like all things tanks, but if this is just a reskinned WoT, I'm not so sure I want to play it.

You're free to download it and give it a try since it is, you know, free to play.

edit: the use of terms such as bloom and accuracy being used separately is a much better descriptor than maximum and minimum accuracy. this is the one of the things that kinda bugs me in AW.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 3, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Agrajag posted:

You're free to download it and give it a try since it is, you know, free to play.

I would, but open beta doesn't start until the 8th or whatever.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So why CHAI anyways? That seems like kind of a dumb name.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
it upsets nerds from WoT

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

ArsoN83 posted:

Could I get an EU invite? ArsoN ingame.

Done

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dezztroy posted:

I would, but open beta doesn't start until the 8th or whatever.

So wait until it opens up. I like that they're not going the Wargaming route of paid garage slots, but in terms of overall gameplay and grindiness of progression it's pretty similar to WoT. Right now I'm digging it casually just bombing around in PvE missions.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Michaellaneous posted:

The circle that gets bigger and smaller as you move, turn, etc. indicates your accuracy. Your shot is supposed to hit somewhere in that circle. So if part of a tank is fully inside a circle, you are guaranteed a hit.

Minimum accuracy is how "small" this aiming circle can get. The smaller this is the better (thus 'increases' in minimum accuracy are good. The smaller the circle, the better a chance of you hitting a target you have.

Maximum accuracy is how "big" the circle can be at any given point. Usually while driving the circle is the biggest. If you increase your maximum accuracy you make this circle start out smaller and only able to reach a certain size. With this you effectively decrease aiming time since your circle already starts out smaller.

As a quick rule of thumb - For sniping vehicles you want a better minimum accuracy. For Vehicles that move you want a smaller maximum accuracy. Same goes for lowering your aiming time.

e: As a notice, I am not sure if lowering your maximum accuracy decreases your aiming time or if this always a fixed number. In any case it helps for snapshots.

Maybe they should change accuracy to deflection or something to reflect that smaller is better.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

So why CHAI anyways? That seems like kind of a dumb name.

We like tea.. and annoying Asians from WoT.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Agrajag posted:

it upsets nerds from WoT

I encountered someone supposedly from the "real" CHAI in a match last night. He spent the whole game flinging expletives and making sure that everyone knew that we are "FAKE CHAI" and that he was from the "REAL CHANG GUAN CHAI" or whatever.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I really appreciate being able to play fun, speedy tanks right off the bat instead of having to grind through some dumb post WW1 shitbox that goes 20kph. Being able to get into an iconic T-55 in only a few games is a big boost as well.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
It seems that some of the 500G permanent-for-all-tanks decals are bugged. If you buy it and stick it on a tank it won't show up in-match and it asks you to purchase it again if you try to apply it to any other tank. When you log out then back in, the decal is gone and so is your gold.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

cheese posted:

I really appreciate being able to play fun, speedy tanks right off the bat instead of having to grind through some dumb post WW1 shitbox that goes 20kph. Being able to get into an iconic T-55 in only a few games is a big boost as well.

But can you get into the iconic Type 59?

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I love being able to do my doubles in PvE.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

But can you get into the iconic Type 59?

Actually they probably will. They already said they are working on a chinaman line.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

I cant wait for the tears when the PL-01 is implemented. In real life its a light tank with a 105.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So far I've not only spotted XM1s, but two Challenger 1s out there :ohdear:

And man, the Chieftain gun is possibly a nerf gun. Even the upgraded Sabot is bloody useless against the hordes of MBT70. HESH *pew* 56-113 dmg *pew*

Might just go back to the T-64 and get me a T-72... but on the upside I rarely die in the Chief unless I accidentally bump into half the enemy team out in the open and eat 2 ATGMs before I can take cover.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

ChickenWyngz posted:

I cant wait for the tears when the PL-01 is implemented. In real life its a light tank with a 105.

There are lots of light tanks with 105s already in. I'm really hoping the PL-01's magic polish stealth armor is modeled, I'd love to drive around in a 105-armed tank with an absurdly high camo value.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lol at all the tank nerds saluting the CHAI tag

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Need an NA invite for Sard to CHAI

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is there a number limit for clan members before its capped out? I wont be joining til the 8th probably :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

YellerBill posted:

There are lots of light tanks with 105s already in. I'm really hoping the PL-01's magic polish stealth armor is modeled, I'd love to drive around in a 105-armed tank with an absurdly high camo value.

Yeah, but I mean I know alot of polish guys who believe that it's some kind of super unstoppable futuristic MBT, and not just a light vehicle with some cool camo. A guy I work with used to talk endlessly at lunch about the polish army and got real weird about it, and kind of creepy at times. He shouted at me and got pretty mad when I showed him the PL01 wasn't what he thought. Nationalism and video games don't mix I guess. But its still nice that the polish, who I assume are going to be the biggest group on EU if WoT was something to go by, will get a tonk.

Also I'm running a lovely twitch stream and there'll be an archive of it later if anybody wants to see AW and is waiting for launch : http://www.twitch.tv/chickenwyngz

• Locked thread