Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Aces High posted:

I missed out on it when it was current but the Chemical Zone 2 portion of Sonic 2 part 2 (holy poo poo that's a lot of 2s) had me rolling, and then the loving Tails shenanigans in Aquatic Zone :allears:

It's like I am 7 years old again

Ugh, that's what playing it on the arcade stick does to me, all my muscle memory goes right out the window and I have to bumble along like I'm a kid in 1992 again. Glad to see we can spread the feeling far and wide. But if you've been enjoying Sonic 2 LP so far, you're in luck! The next part is up today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDMc390dYrs

Choco1980 posted:

Yup, from The Devil and Max Devlin. One of the last major live action films Disney made before the Eisner era. Elliot Gould is a sinful man that dies and goes to Hell. Cosby plays ostensibly the Devil, actually his right hand man Barney Satin. Most of the time he's not in the devil makeup, but a few times he's seen in it with fire and brimstone and screaming all around him. He makes a deal with Max, to send him back to Earth for 2 months to try to get 3 people to sell their souls to the Devil, with him as a wish granting middleman. He targets two like 19-20 ish types, one a woman that wants to be a pop star, and the other a man that wants to be a dirt bike champion. His third target ends up being a 7 year old boy who asks him to marry his mother. In retrospect, the movie is pretty crazy for Disney, but I liked it as a kid.

Every sentence further I read of this, I feel more exactly like I'm having a vivid fever dream. So... does marrying the kid's mother redeem him and get him out of hell? I assume it can't end with the kid being doomed, but then when we're already talking about Disney having Cosby as the Antichrist I feel like I can never be too certain of anything. Good god.
Crazy as that seems, Ghost Dad honestly would be a great candidate for a Plinkett Review or a Jontron Show episode. The devil quote I referred to is honestly one of the first things that happens in the movie; Cosby is a business executive type who never has time for his kids. So he leaves one morning for work and gets in a cab. FOR NO REASON, the cabbie is an insane Willie Nelson-looking motherfucker who immediately speeds off a scaring the poo poo out of Cosby by asking him if he worships the devil. To which Cosby replies, "I AM THE DEVIL!" I guess... to try and pull a cognitive kill switch and gain some dominance in the situation? Anyway, claiming to be the devil spooks the cab driver so bad that he thereupon swerves the cab off a bridge, killing Cosby and turning him into the eponymous Ghost Dad.

I later found out the script was written by the same people who wrote Tremors, which makes me think maaaaybe they cranked out a lovely family comedy film for financial reasons and decided to see how much they could get away with. I very much fail to see what other explanation there could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Nebiros posted:

B.Rap Boys, featuring three player action and poo poo like riding bicycles during the auto scrolling area for some characters. Here you go

And possibly even more racist! I scanned through the youtube clip and saw a black man with Coolio-style hair dropping watermelon grenades on the players :stare:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I want to say Max gets a last second change of heart and burns the contracts cause the devil's going to screw him over, then he gets a second chance because reasons.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Choco1980 posted:

I want to say Max gets a last second change of heart and burns the contracts cause the devil's going to screw him over, then he gets a second chance because reasons.

Close. The devil decides to screw him over, and he threatens to tear up the contracts, only for the devil to say that if he does so, he'll be taken to hell now instead of at the end of a natural lifespan. He does it anyway, figuring better him than them, but that act of sacrifice earns him a second chance on earth.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
So in case anyone isn't convinced to keep up with the multi-episodic adventures of Sonic 2. I must convince you to do so because you're missing amazing T-shirt ideas such as this:

And that's not even the best one to come from the Sonic 2 playthrough.

I also don't know how to make this not loving gigantic. . . Free desktop wallpaper I guess.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Would.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Simon The Digger posted:

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I'd like to request Gaia Crusaders, which is probably one of the best beat-em-ups that nobody's ever heard of. My favorite part is that your playable characters range from Standard Male Beat-Em-Up Protagonist #47 to an ambiguously Asian mystic-type person to a robo-lady, and another cool thing about it is that one of the creators of Golden Axe, Rieko "Phoenix Rie" Kodama, worked on it.

I remember Gaia Crusaders. It was fun, but compared to the other big Noise Factory beatemup (Sengoku 3), it was kinda lacking in gameplay.

As for DJ Boy, the weird thing that bothers me about it is the fact that in some stages they're skating on what looks like cobbled streets. That's pretty much impossible to do. I don't know why it bothers me, since Skate doing the dash on the beach and in the factory on Streets of Rage 2 never bothered me... until now. Damnit.

Nerd moment alert.

SNK didn't get bought out by Atlus. In the early 2000s, they got bought out by a company called Playmore and became SNK:Playmore. They continued to release games but slowed down because of money issues, until they were bought out again a few months ago by a Chinese company called Leyou Milennium who were after the IPs with a desire to make more things based on them (not just games, but animes and movies too). As for Atlus, the only reason why they're are linked to SNKP are because they published KOFXIII on consoles.

As for Sammy, they only published arcade games. In the case of DJ Boy, it was developed by Kaneko, and the Guilty Gear games are made by Arc System Works. Sammy did however develop the arcade board that the original GGX and other games ran on (Atomiswave) which was a modified Naomi board from Sega. They were eventually acquired by Sega and became Sega Sammy Holdings. Their main thing now is pachinko and pachislot.

End of nerd moment.

Choco1980 posted:

I love that you cut RIGHT on falling into that drat stupid short spring trap.

You know that they're probably going to bounce out the wrong way as soon as they try to jump as well.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

Nerd moment alert.

SNK didn't get bought out by Atlus. In the early 2000s, they got bought out by a company called Playmore and became SNK:Playmore. They continued to release games but slowed down because of money issues, until they were bought out again a few months ago by a Chinese company called Leyou Milennium who were after the IPs with a desire to make more things based on them (not just games, but animes and movies too). As for Atlus, the only reason why they're are linked to SNKP are because they published KOFXIII on consoles.

As for Sammy, they only published arcade games. In the case of DJ Boy, it was developed by Kaneko, and the Guilty Gear games are made by Arc System Works. Sammy did however develop the arcade board that the original GGX and other games ran on (Atomiswave) which was a modified Naomi board from Sega. They were eventually acquired by Sega and became Sega Sammy Holdings.

Ah. Yeah, I thought our version wasn't quite right. But with all the collusion on stuff it's easy to get confused. I knew something became of SNK but I think I just assumed they were out of business flat-out because of this comic.

Then again, I was fast and furious with the Sonic trivia so I guess it's okay that my own nerd know-how only extends so far.

quote:

Their main thing now is pachinko and pachislot.

From what I understand that is the law of the land in the Japanese game market these days, they're just the main way to be profitable.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 25, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lemma posted:

From what I understand that is the law of the land in the Japanese game market these days, they're just the main way to be profitable.

I'm pretty sure Sammy is and always has been a pachinko machine maker first and foremost. Arcade games and later home games were more of a side business.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

I dont know posted:

I'm pretty sure Sammy is and always has been a pachinko machine maker first and foremost. Arcade games and later home games were more of a side business.

That makes sense, I guess. Pachinko never comes to the fore since it's never been culturally significant to me, with the exception of the Game Grumps Mario Sunshine clip where Arin loses his mind. It's pretty good.

Anyway, our steady march toward the madness event horizon continues with Sonic 2 part 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR16fxGORlg
We make it to Metropolis Zone! Everyone will like that. I think I run out of my first dollar here. We also get on quite the tangent about Serene Branson for some reason.

DJ boy resumes later this week.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

"we are probably the only Let's Players abusing substances..."

I for one would like to welcome you to your first day in the subforums...

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

"we are probably the only Let's Players abusing substances..."

I for one would like to welcome you to your first day in the subforums...

See, I thought for sure he was saying "the only non substance-abusing LPers" which would be a much easier assertion to understand. (Although early on we experimented with being shithoused while playing, but ultimately we found lucidity to be much more conducive to commentary.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

if the "Let's develop a drinking problem" Metal Gear LP is anything to go by getting hosed while playing games only goes so far for the player, you gotta have a great supporting cast for commentary. If you don't have that you run into the problem of it just turning into drunken incompetence and no one to really rein it in

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Aces High posted:

if the "Let's develop a drinking problem" Metal Gear LP is anything to go by getting hosed while playing games only goes so far for the player, you gotta have a great supporting cast for commentary. If you don't have that you run into the problem of it just turning into drunken incompetence and no one to really rein it in

Well I suppose I should be honest, I don't watch too many Let's Play style videos, and the ones I do watch, I can't really fathom that they leave the house at all, let alone do anything cool like drink, steal, or solicit hookers or anything like that. I guess that's my bad though, but everyone was very quick to correct me, which is good I guess.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I like to think I was one of those "great supporting cast for commentary" people as I was part of the Metal Gear Ghost Babel drunkstream, high on hydrocodone I might add. That was an...interesting night.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well someone falling asleep during a live skype call will always lead to laughs :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

He claims that's a gag he pulls on his friends regularly. Uh huh.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, it's Wednesday, and it's time for part 2 of DJ Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JvLqiaYHs

Sonic 2 continues tomorrow, and I swear to god, we'll something that isn't a sequel starting next week. So hopefully you're enjoying these longer series, and thanks for hanging in there.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I like to think I was one of those "great supporting cast for commentary" people as I was part of the Metal Gear Ghost Babel drunkstream, high on hydrocodone I might add.

There is not a single part of this sentence that doesn't delight me to the core of my being.

AMovieReference posted:

Sonic 2 continues tomorrow, and I swear to god, we'll something that isn't a sequel starting next week. So hopefully you're enjoying these longer series, and thanks for hanging in there.

Hopefully we can step up our updates to four or five a week at some point. But I'm digging the slow pace, gives us time to improve incrementally. Our recent videos are already leagues better than the first batch I think. Related did you know James Rolfe did an expose on Ninja Baseball Batman like three years ago? How did I never hear about it until we played it here?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

AMovieReference posted:

Alright, it's Wednesday, and it's time for part 2 of DJ Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JvLqiaYHs

Don't feel bad, until you said the unicycle guys were wearing motorcycle helmets, I thought they were like, cavemen with big scruffy hair and beards. The way this game goes, it could be anything really.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I was most definitely of the same thought about them being like unicycling Waldos. The Soviet thing however, I'm not sure about.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

I was most definitely of the same thought about them being like unicycling Waldos. The Soviet thing however, I'm not sure about.

I am at least somewhat ashamed to admit that that 'in Soviet Russia Waldo find YOU' image macro served as the basis of that reference.

edit:

Just so I don't double post, here's the penultimate episode of our enlightening Sonic 2 playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtlN4xcd7U

Herein an invaluable glimpse into the creative process. Also watch Kyle do such a bad job of pitching us Micheal Ian Black that even the mic quits of its own volition.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 1, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

To be fair to the last 2 sonic episodes, i'd say metropolis zone is the hardest level design of the 2D sonics (gba excluded. Suck a dick dimps). The obstacles are very touchy, and the enemies all have tricky timing. Also it's crazy hard to not get hurt in the boss battle.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

I am at least somewhat ashamed to admit that that 'in Soviet Russia Waldo find YOU' image macro served as the basis of that reference.

edit:

Just so I don't double post, here's the penultimate episode of our enlightening Sonic 2 playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtlN4xcd7U

Herein an invaluable glimpse into the creative process. Also watch Kyle do such a bad job of pitching us Micheal Ian Black that even the mic quits of its own volition.

I am completely unashamed to admit that as soon as you said "Soviet", I thought of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKzesTq0Wo

Also, screw those mantis robots in Metropolis. I forget their names, but they ALWAYS got me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I feel like it's important to let it be known that there are many reasons why you probably shouldn't GIS "a swastika of jizzing cocks", but if you do, there is at least one person out there who had this idea first and decided to share it with the internet.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

I am completely unashamed to admit that as soon as you said "Soviet", I thought of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKzesTq0Wo

Also, screw those mantis robots in Metropolis. I forget their names, but they ALWAYS got me.

Agreed. To both counts. That episode of the Simpsons is one of the last flourishes of greatness before the show descended beyond the Tamzarian event horizon.

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair to the last 2 sonic episodes, i'd say metropolis zone is the hardest level design of the 2D sonics (gba excluded. Suck a dick dimps). The obstacles are very touchy, and the enemies all have tricky timing. Also it's crazy hard to not get hurt in the boss battle.

Yes, plus (think I mention it in the vid, but maybe not so plainly) the arcade versions of these games do seem to have conspicuously floatier controls. I don't know if they just hosed up the port or if it was a deliberate effort to make it harder for quarter-leeching purposes. Now, if we ever get a working trackball set up, we can give SegaSonic a try and see how and what that is, as it's one of the few Sonic titles with which I have not even a passing familiarity.

The boss battle on MZ though I suspect may have been one of those half-hearted efforts to encourage 2P co-op; if you get Tails to go hit him it's way easier.

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel like it's important to let it be known that there are many reasons why you probably shouldn't GIS "a swastika of jizzing cocks", but if you do, there is at least one person out there who had this idea first and decided to share it with the internet.

I don't really need too much warning re: those terms on Google anything (I wonder what Maps has to say on the subject?) but I am sadly unsurprised that my evil notion has occupied space on the web for probably years already.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I want to say the arcade version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (totally unlike the Genesis version) uses track balls too. If you can get it to work then i'd request that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I thought Tails couldn't jump high enough to reach Robotnik in MZ, Definitely know that Tails and Knuckles jump lower and so it makes the last Death Egg fight a bitch

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Don't his tails cause damage if you fly under something?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I thought that was something introduced in Sonic 3, much like Tails' ability to actually pick Sonic up

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Aces High posted:

I thought Tails couldn't jump high enough to reach Robotnik in MZ, Definitely know that Tails and Knuckles jump lower and so it makes the last Death Egg fight a bitch

Hm? I'm pretty sure Tails handles exactly like Sonic outside of the (rather dumb) multiplayer race mode. At least, I don't remember having any issues making jumps with him.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Hm? I'm pretty sure Tails handles exactly like Sonic outside of the (rather dumb) multiplayer race mode. At least, I don't remember having any issues making jumps with him.

Well Knuckles definitely jumps lower, I remember never being able to beat the final boss with him for that exact reason. But that only applies to Sonic 2 joined with Sonic & Knuckles.

Tails' propellor tails doing damage is from Sonic 3, yes. But as far as I know Tails plays identically to Sonic in Sonic 2, they only started really differentiating characters in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Either way, Tails would be useful for getting a hit in once Robotnik descends after you break his bubble doubles.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I remember I was sure Tails could fly in Sonic 2 when the second player played as him, and then when I had Sonic Jam on Saturn, I never could get him to fly. I then remembered it was Sonic 3 where he could fly and carry Sonic. Also, I'm sure he could jump normally too.

I remember always turning him off when playing single player because he would screw me over on the special stages.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, my sister and I used to tag out for the special stages in 2 because of that. Then I played enough so that I could have Super Sonic by Aquatic Zone and it was gravy :v:

I never liked that Tails only got a "super Tails" transformation if you got all the super emeralds. Yes it was quite a feat but after 2 games of him getting the short stick you'd think it would have been easier because gently caress that one stage that is all yellow ball jumps

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Aces High posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, my sister and I used to tag out for the special stages in 2 because of that. Then I played enough so that I could have Super Sonic by Aquatic Zone and it was gravy :v:

I never liked that Tails only got a "super Tails" transformation if you got all the super emeralds. Yes it was quite a feat but after 2 games of him getting the short stick you'd think it would have been easier because gently caress that one stage that is all yellow ball jumps

Yeah, I always found that unfair as well. Sonic and Knuckles get the Super and Hyper modes, but Tails only gets Super mode and only if you're playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

I remember I was sure Tails could fly in Sonic 2 when the second player played as him, and then when I had Sonic Jam on Saturn, I never could get him to fly. I then remembered it was Sonic 3 where he could fly and carry Sonic. Also, I'm sure he could jump normally too.

I remember always turning him off when playing single player because he would screw me over on the special stages.

He could also swim, albeit so slowly that it was never very useful. I always liked Sonic's insta-shield ability in that game, though. It was good when they could come up with abilities that meshed with the basic mechanics instead of throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck. That said Knuckles' swimming skill was one of the only highlights of Sonic Advanve games.

As an aside, here's the end of Sonic 2:
https://youtu.be/JSatHK2nJSo

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

He could also swim, albeit so slowly that it was never very useful. I always liked Sonic's insta-shield ability in that game, though. It was good when they could come up with abilities that meshed with the basic mechanics instead of throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck. That said Knuckles' swimming skill was one of the only highlights of Sonic Advanve games.

As an aside, here's the end of Sonic 2:
https://youtu.be/JSatHK2nJSo

By the way, I wasn't kidding about that Archie thing. Here's a panel from one of the books.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

From what I saw of it, the whole Mega Man/Sonic crossover was silly and fun. Wily and Robotnik became BFFs, there were robot versions of Sonic's friends leading to gags like two Shadow-Mans and stuff like that. Also, the guy who writes for both books is a goon who regularly posts all over, though I can't remember his name (He's not even the only Archie employee I've talked to on SA)

Also the fact that other sonic characters can swim but Sonic can't is reflected in the Sonic and Mario at the Summer Olympics...for the water events, he has to wear floaties :3:

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
That Archie poo poo is almost Moral Orel season three hosed up. Also, the Shadow the Hedgehog LP thread coincidentally has stuff about the vortex of madness that is the 90s Sonic comic, and a crazy person named Ken Penders who ran it (into the loving ground.)

Well, with Sonic officially behind us forever, here's a request game, XYBots:

https://youtu.be/NiAt5kp8cNw

Lemma fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Lemma posted:

That Achie poo poo is almost Moral Orel season three hosed up. Also, the Shadow the Hedgehog LP thread coincidentally has stuff about the vortex of madness thay is the 90s Sonic comic, and a crazy person named Ken Penders who ran it (into the loving ground.)

Well, with Sonic officially behind us forever, here's a request game, XYBots:

https://youtu.be/NiAt5kp8cNw

The game's name reminded me of the best arcade fighting game I ever played: Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness. Giant robots fighting each other, all their moves are supremely awesome. IIRC unlocking the secret character is a challenge unto itself (see if you manage to unlock the octobot).

• Locked thread