Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone kept complaining that FF outfits looked dumb so they made them boring as gently caress in the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it's a keeping up with the kids situation so much as it is "we let the crazy hacky auteur guys take charge of the franchise" situation.

oh

same as it ever was, then

Last FF I ever played was 12 and that poo poo sent me to sleep, like they couldn't decide whether to make it a Tactics, a Vagrant Story, or a bog standard FF and it all felt like a hot mess with some neat visual designs and a cast half dressed like cosplay night at the local synth club

Sakurazuka posted:

Everyone kept complaining that FF outfits looked dumb so they made them boring as gently caress in the new one.

Well ok but I feel like there's a space you can find between "fantastical gowns woven of watercolors and colored light" like Amano enjoyed and "literally a leather boyband who leapt off stage and decided to play adventurer in the woods for vacation before their next concept album"

Black August fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I checked out of FF at 10, that poo poo bore no resemblance to the games I used to love. They've only gotten worse since. I sorta wanna check out FF14 because it's the only modern game that seems to have a setting that isn't insanely stupid, but I'm not in a hurry to get hooked on an MMO either.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF10 is weird because I simultaneously think it's a very good game and that its popularity/success probably has something to do with what happened to the franchise

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I checked out of FF at 10, that poo poo bore no resemblance to the games I used to love. They've only gotten worse since. I sorta wanna check out FF14 because it's the only modern game that seems to have a setting that isn't insanely stupid, but I'm not in a hurry to get hooked on an MMO either.

I fully admit I only bought 12 after not caring at all for 10 only because it had the whole "Hey you nostalgic soft-brained gently caress, this was made by the guy who did Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story,, and despite those games being a decade old by now and done by entire teams who are long gone, you'll buy this anyways won't you"

yup I did, oh wow apart from some names and a vague visual resemblance, it was pretty mediocre and not much at all like them

10 didn't do much for me because it looked awful and despite a fun combat system it just felt lifeless and boring to play through, though it did have some neat bosses and mechanics I wish they had kept for the series

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Mak0rz posted:

also I accidnetally spent :10bux: on some dlc because i picked the wrong thing and didnt realize my visa was linked to my xbl account :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Matsuo had a nervous breakdown while working on FF12 and a mainline FF game was never going to be anything like FFT or Vagrant Story.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

FF10 was the last good Final Fantasy and I will fight anyone who dares to claim otherwise.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ekster posted:

FF10 was the last good Final Fantasy and I will fight anyone who dares to claim otherwise.

In before people unironically mention Bravely Default while forgetting it's just 20% of a full game you play through five times

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ekster posted:

Voice acting bad story bad setting bad character designs bad dungeons bad.

Combat: Maybe all right???????????????????

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Matsuo had a nervous breakdown while working on FF12 and a mainline FF game was never going to be anything like FFT or Vagrant Story.

Well yeah but this was before that was known and common sense prevailed. I didn't expect it to be EXACTLY like FFT or Vagrant Story, but I had at least figured there'd be something fun like classes, or more tactical than usual combat (I had expected a souped up version of FF10's system). Instead it just felt clunky and slow. No real sense of tension. And instead of being hyper-focused like Vagrant Story in terms of plot, or super-broad like Tactics was where everyone was just some body on the conspiracy pile, it just sort of felt like an unsatisfying mix of both. Ashe seemed more sleepy than determined ex-royal. Half the cast felt unnecessary. Everything that happened felt loosely related to the whole ongoing plot of empires and invasion, like it was two separate stories running together. Which I figure is the consequence of the main dude losing his goddamn mind from stress halfway through.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ekster posted:

FFX-2 and Lighting Returns are both better.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Cystal Chronicles owned for gcube

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Ya that was prty fun but gently caress the hoops you had to jump thru to play with friends in a game clearly designed for co-op.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's still fun to go back and play older FF games, especially with romhacks and patches that change difficulty and content

there's good ones for 4, 6, 7, and 9

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All 9 needs is a fast forward button

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol FF fans in full gear

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

9 was weird because it seemed to have everything I wanted, and I played it all the way through, but it was just not memorable

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Black August posted:

9 was weird because it seemed to have everything I wanted, and I played it all the way through, but it was just not memorable

Same here. I wouldn't call it a bad game but something about it felt off. Might just be the writing and the fact that I really, really wanted to switch Zidane out of my party but wasn't allowed to.

It was so drat talky and cutscene-y, too. Its plot was fairly simple, it could've gotten its information out at a better clip.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FF IX is a beautiful piece of art, slightly held back by its battle system

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
IX is cool but Amarant felt tacked on

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The hidden mega boss being a beach ball was more than a little lame.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Ya that was prty fun but gently caress the hoops you had to jump thru to play with friends in a game clearly designed for co-op.

It helped that we had already done the whole Four Swords shebang. Was there any reason for that poo poo aside from selling poo poo? AFAIK, the advance was only used as a controller for four swords.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The hidden mega boss being a beach ball was more than a little lame.
A beach ball killed Tommy Amano's parents.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

It helped that we had already done the whole Four Swords shebang. Was there any reason for that poo poo aside from selling poo poo? AFAIK, the advance was only used as a controller for four swords.

In four swords the gba was used for building interiors so that everyone didn't have to enter a house at once etc

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Considered the wisest of the pantheon and even able to outwar Ares by not being stupid. She's sorta cool but also suffers Superman syndrome, making her less interesting.

What I'm saying is Chie is like Superman but less interesting for it. Also I will never get used to the creepy way current anime renders skinny girl legs.

hats not chie

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The reason why they did the GBA link stuff for Crystal Chronicles was for inventory management and spells. It was before Marvel Ultimate Alliance created quickmenus for multiplayer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

The then-president of nintendo was pushing dongles and doodads extremely hard at the time. Like I appreciate the idea of letting you have a mini-map or other UI features appear on the screen if you plugged in the GBA, but making that the ONLY way to play 4-player, especially since the gamecube controller was about 300 times more comfortable to hold, was ridiculous.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

setafd posted:

it's still fun to go back and play older FF games, especially with romhacks and patches that change difficulty and content

there's good ones for 4, 6, 7, and 9

I've been meaning to play FF6 Brave New World because it's apparently really good and not bullshit hard like every other ROM hack out there.

FF9 Unleashed on the other hand made some really good changes and one really really bad one (hint: the really bad change was making all bosses loving impossible). I nearly finished it but got stuck at the "You're Not Alone" scene in disc 3 and finally decided I had enough.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

FF IX is a beautiful piece of art, slightly held back by its battle system

v. true

The battle system is easy to exploit so that enemies only get like one turn for every three player turns.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

BNW is pretty good and it's shocking in consideration of the autist who made it

I'm still mid-run on Unleashed because work has intervened, but the way characters have been changed and equippable abilities mattering more has made it a lot of fun

if you're a big enough nerd to like this poo poo, I'd really suggest looking at the FF4 romhack that came out this summer, Unprecedented Crisis. the story diverges from the actual game's in cool way that remixes it and the change in character mechanics makes it a lot of fun, too. there's even two paths in the game where Cecil either becomes a paladin or doesn't, it owns

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I nominate FFIX's Mountain Cable Car rest area as the chillest place in a videogame.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The then-president of nintendo was pushing dongles and doodads extremely hard at the time. Like I appreciate the idea of letting you have a mini-map or other UI features appear on the screen if you plugged in the GBA, but making that the ONLY way to play 4-player, especially since the gamecube controller was about 300 times more comfortable to hold, was ridiculous.

IIRC you could swap out the GBA for a controller at some point after choosing your character. You were SOL for materia/item management(like dumping an extra thunder), but you could still chain with them, and if you were a veteran player, you didn't need a personal management screen for a session.

No Such Thing posted:

I nominate FFIX's Mountain Cable Car rest area as the chillest place in a videogame.

Coffee Shop in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Though the Wild World was a better setting, there were less people going through it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
anyone who wants to get a nice weird Final Fantasy fix should check out the recently translated and balanced/fixed Chinese version of FF7 for the NES

i am not kidding it owns hard and the doofy NES graphics go with the doofy FF7 story just fine

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Lego Dimensions apparently beat the living poo poo out of both Amiibo, Infinity, and Skylander pre-order sales.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
good, because LEGO is awesome

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Wait you can buy Digital toy figures and have them interact and function with the same regular toys they're based off of and are not DLC totems and will continue to have a function once the new sets come out?????????? Madness!

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 4, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nasgate posted:

Yeah it did and then I remember what they did for the sequel and I die a bit inside.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

setafd posted:

I'm still mid-run on Unleashed because work has intervened, but the way characters have been changed and equippable abilities mattering more has made it a lot of fun

if you're a big enough nerd to like this poo poo, I'd really suggest looking at the FF4 romhack that came out this summer, Unprecedented Crisis. the story diverges from the actual game's in cool way that remixes it and the change in character mechanics makes it a lot of fun, too. there's even two paths in the game where Cecil either becomes a paladin or doesn't, it owns

I've never played FF4 at all but I'll check this romhack out. I enjoyed Brave New World but I didn't get too terribly far in it because I've always been terrible about actually finishing old school RPGs.

EDIT: Has there been a good FF8 patch/hack/whatever? I like that game but the draw and enemy scaling systems were pretty annoying to work with. Hmm boy I sure do love drawing rare magic off a dude in a single battle for half an hour!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Black August posted:

I fully admit I only bought 12 after not caring at all for 10 only because it had the whole "Hey you nostalgic soft-brained gently caress, this was made by the guy who did Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story,, and despite those games being a decade old by now and done by entire teams who are long gone, you'll buy this anyways won't you"

See also Mistwalker Corporation, where Hironobu Sakaguchi makes his own studio and teams up with Nobuo Uematsu and Akira Toriyama to make an epic Xbox 360 RPG trilogy on Microsoft's dollar only to have Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey fizzle so badly that their third 360 title wasquietly cancelled and they've done nothing but DS and mobile games since.

Instead of their partnership being the second coming of JRPGs it wound up only being remembered as creating that song with the guy from Deep Purple on lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

No Such Thing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcZBhmExiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Didn't lost odyssey own though?

setafd posted:

Sounds cool I'll check it out :cool:

• Locked thread