Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

I'd like to think that Gaiman does a beautiful job of justifiying every aspect of the episode. From the odd family to the makeshift, ancient look of the characters' outfits, everything ties into the overarching themes of relationships, family and home.

When you get around to rewatching it, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Sure thing.

-----

Ah, now that was a good episode. Clear, solid plot, so far, good characters, even the Sonic Sunglasses were well-used and understated. The cue-cards gag was hilarious. Very tight all around. I just checked out Whithouse's other writing credits, and his stuff is generally really solid, so hopefully next week will be just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I loved that episode. Really, really good.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't realize this was a 2-parter :gonk:

Edit: Kind of an odd episode, I kept feeling like there was something more going on and it was going to come to the fore at any point, and it moved at a good enough pace that I wasn't really aware of the time and didn't realize it was a 2-parter right up until it ended (there's something going on with the deaf lady refusing to let her translator into the ship). Like The Magician's Apprentice I think I won't really be able to get a read on this until the 2nd part has aired, and hopefully it doesn't feel as detached from its first part as The Witch's Familiar did.

Yeah most of this season are 2 parters.

I liked this one much better than the last 2. As I said earlier in the thread the last 2 weeks didn't really sit right with me, both parts were oddly paced and the first part didn't work on it's own. This one felt good - there was stuff happening, the story moved forwards, we learnt something about what was going on, the Doctor interacted with the other characters and there is a good cliffhanger.

Good stuff.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

It is hard to find a skilled actor who is also a child.

And yet, The Wire Season 4 exists.

(I know it's not really fair to compare The Wire to Doctor Who, but I dunno, I think there is an aspect of not quite looking hard enough to it.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That was more like it

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nothing gets me on side like a good Base Under Siege

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And now back to our regular programming, More Old Doctor Who. Next up, Mindwarp!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Thaaaat was more like it. I can tell a good 2-parter episode when I'm into it enough not to realise the runtime is almost over and we're not even approaching a conclusion yet...

And I think what I was mostly enjoying was letting Capaldi get out and act a bit more than he has been for most of his run. He's usually being given a lot less screen time than this, and it shows how good he is when he gets a chance to let loose.

Much improved on last week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thespaceinvader posted:

Thaaaat was more like it. I can tell a good 2-parter episode when I'm into it enough not to realise the runtime is almost over and we're not even approaching a conclusion yet...

Yeah, when the To Be Continued bit came up I was surprised, but then I thought about it and did I really think they were going to resolve everything satisfyingly in whatever time I thought was left? It's a good episode when you don't even realize 40+ minutes has gone by.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nothing gets me on side like a good Base Under Siege

Good point, you SHOULD watch Seeds of Death again!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

I loved the cards - did you manage to capture the others?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr Beens posted:

I loved the cards - did you manage to capture the others?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed it - it felt a lot like a Tom Baker type episode to me. For some reason it made me think of "The Ark In Space"?

Or maybe even one of the old Troughton base-under-siege stories?

There were a lot of lines that felt quite Tom Baker-y as well, though that may have been Capaldi's delivery.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Good point, you SHOULD watch Seeds of Death again!

Getting there

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Getting there

Yay! Everybody else should too!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yay! Everybody else should too!

I'm saving a lot of good Troughtons for the victory lap, to make sure I don't frontload the classics and then have 50 serials of dross to finish with

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't recall, have you done War Games yet? I think that would be a pretty suitable one to finish up with.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Golly, Paul Kaye is unrecognisable when he's clean and tidy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

If this bit hasn't been giffed already, it really should be. Bonus points if you can get it to loop perfectly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I don't recall, have you done War Games yet? I think that would be a pretty suitable one to finish up with.

Doing the first/last stories of each Doctor at the end, in order.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ms Boods posted:

Golly, Paul Kaye is unrecognisable when he's clean and tidy.

Bloody hell, until you said that I had no idea that was him.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Fil5000 posted:

There were a lot of lines that felt quite Tom Baker-y as well, though that may have been Capaldi's delivery.

There were quite a few times in season 8 where he channeled Baker pretty drat hard.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh yeah, Carter Burke was hilariously unsubtle. But I can deal

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Bloody hell, until you said that I had no idea that was him.

Mr Boods refuses/d to believe me.

He also can't stop giggling whenever Peter Capaldi is called upon to run, so as far as he was concerned, this was a quality episode.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 3, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

He also can't stop giggling whenever Peter Capaldi is called upon to run, so as far as he was concerned, this was a quality episode.

You chose your partner well

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
So my wife spotted that Aberdeen prompt card and suggested something that I totally hadn't thought of. When the Fourth Doctor dropped Sarah Jane off, he accidentally left her in Aberdeen instead of Croydon. That card was for her*.

Edit: *I'd like to think, at least.

AlMac fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 3, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Those flash cards. :allears:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You chose your partner well

He only knew Capaldi from Thick of It; I've been a fan since the days of Local Hero and Lair of the White Worm,which he'd never seen before he met me. So sweet, gentle PC of Local Hero & slightly madcap PC of Worm left him :stare:, whereas sweary PC/Malcolm Tucker left me :stonk:.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, those cards were pretty great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

He only knew Capaldi from Thick of It; I've been a fan since the days of Local Hero and Lair of the White Worm,which he'd never seen before he met me. So sweet, gentle PC of Local Hero & slightly madcap PC of Worm left him :stare:, whereas sweary PC/Malcolm Tucker left me :stonk:.

Heh. When Capaldi was announced, my mum didn't know who he was until I tried, "He played the Songs of Praise producer in that one episode of The Vicar of Dibley." :v:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AlMac posted:

So my wife spotted that Aberdeen prompt card and suggested something that I totally hadn't thought of. When the Fourth Doctor dropped Sarah Jane off, he accidentally left her in Aberdeen instead of Croydon. That card was for her*.

Edit: *I'd like to think, at least.

Wasn't Clara left in the wrong city when they first met?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Much better. Solid pacing, good directing, i was interested in the mystery, characters handled well. only downside is that it just wasn't that original, we've sort of seen it before. But whatever, as long as it's done well.
I liked the bit with the psychic paper.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqIq4B1rgl4

:smithicide:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

Make Missy a full-time companion

I would honestly be completely down to watch the show if it was just Missy travelling in a TARDIS/the TARDIS, casually destroying civilisations and/or being foiled every time by idiots, with no Doctor in sight. Of course with a hapless companion/stooge. I think just following the villain around for half a season would be a huge amount of fun. Think Pinky And The Brain.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

From a few pages back but:

"Now listen very carefully. I shall say this only once...."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ha, I was going to post that.

This was a good episode for sure.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Why why WHY do they insist on not having the opening title sequence in sync with the music half the time? :argh:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, very impressed with how they incorporated having a deaf character into the episode without it seeming like "hey look, it's a deaf person! Isn't she weird?" with all the subtlety of a blowjob slab of concrete. I personally haven't seen representation this well handled since Marlee Matlin was on The West Wing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TinTower posted:

Also, very impressed with how they incorporated having a deaf character into the episode without it seeming like "hey look, it's a deaf person! Isn't she weird?" with all the subtlety of a blowjob slab of concrete. I personally haven't seen representation this well handled since Marlee Matlin was on The West Wing.

You should watch Fargo Season 1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
"Wait a minute.... Wait a minuet..." -Something I'm pretty sure I just heard The Doctor say

• Locked thread