Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

canada jezus posted:

neat! whats the replay value like? If its any good i'll pick it up after i finish mgs5.

It really depends on how much you dig the game, honestly. Potentially there's a lot, as you can start as any clan in any of the 10+ scenarios. It's just a matter of if you want to play the game enough to do that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There are already hackers in the leaderboards for SW 4-II on Steam. I got ~23k gold in the Chamber of Riches and placed 39th. 1st place had over 1 billion gold. With a five minute time limit. Suuuuuure that's legit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Up to floor 50 in standard survival, I hope I start seeing some 5 star weapons soon because I've pretty much maxed out Naotora in every other way.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Chocobo posted:

I feel like Nobunaga's Ambition peaked at Rise to Power. Sphere of Influence does a nice job of comining the new real-time gameplay of Iron Triangle with the earlier planning-phase turn based games. I remember Rise to Power feeling a lot less tedious though, I think thats just because they've added so many bases per province that it is unbearably tedious to micromanage things without delegating or just using the auto-council within just a few years of starting.

Wait, wait, what's this about real-time gameplay? I had Nobunaga's Ambition wishlisted because I loved one of the PS2 games, but if they turned it into Total War please let me know because I get completely wrecked every time things go real-time in those games.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The real time stuff is optional, at least at lower difficulties.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Going back to One Piece Warriors (quit last time because my save file got deleted), I think my immediate problem with SW-4 is ultimately the camera. It's too close to the player model, and those player models are usually bulkier than the One Piece ones.

I'm also not a fan of hyper attacks which are ultimately just crowd clearers (except when the grunts are powered up via rally/boss auras). Would rather they stick more to having a second moveset that can actually damage bosses as well.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Hyper Attacks. They're fun for a little but I got bored of them super quick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Samurai 4's one big positive is the dual character system. Being able to tell your partner to cover one area, then immediately switch to that area, then the AI auto-pilots to the next objective is a great progression and lessens monotony because you can play as a 2nd moveset.

I just wish they carried over One Piece's system where you can recover NPC life by just going near them instead of relying on gimmicky health skills that only a small percentage of characters carry.

Also, I don't know how they hosed up the Horse AI because that's unreliable as poo poo when I call it up. The horse AI was perfectly fine in DW8: XL, I don't know what happened.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Hisahide is fun but the dude who chills out with him is even cooler. :c0al:

I love that his basic combos more or less just have him bashing the poo poo out of dudes with a field sword that's still sheathed.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, wait, what's this about real-time gameplay? I had Nobunaga's Ambition wishlisted because I loved one of the PS2 games, but if they turned it into Total War please let me know because I get completely wrecked every time things go real-time in those games.

I wouldn't be remotely afraid of that.

The battle system isn't as complex as anything from Total War and you can easily fight on the strategic map most of the time.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way about Hyper Attacks. They're fun for a little but I got bored of them super quick.

Not gonna lie, sometimes I fail missions because I just run around hyper attacking everything that moves. I love how I can destroy like 1500 enemies in 2 or 3 minutes flat if I get a good route worked out.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Not gonna lie, sometimes I fail missions because I just run around hyper attacking everything that moves. I love how I can destroy like 1500 enemies in 2 or 3 minutes flat if I get a good route worked out.

Put on the "Enemies drop xp" skill before you do it and watch the magic happen.

Me and another goon both ran the XP skill without each other knowing, and somehow I got magoichi from 1-42 in a single stage. Maybe I stole his xp or something.

Also did anyone else find it weird that Kojuro feels real bad about stabbing out Masamune's eye (even though he asked him to) but when Masamune accidentally shoots his dad he's like "haha nbd lets keep fighting"?

Selane
May 19, 2006

I like how "broke tea kettle", when run through the musou filter, becomes "filled tea kettle with dynamite and threw it at Oda's face".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hisahide: The man trolled to death

Also awesome and a good addition though.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Son Ryo posted:

At the start of every month the game pauses and you issue all your development and governmental orders, and then you go into a real-time phase where your commands are acted out over the course of the month. You can pause at any time during this phase and issue further military orders (like if you need to deploy reinforcements or something). Battles take place in real time, as in you will see your armies smashing up against other armies on the strategic map, but you can actually "enter" any of these battles for a more in-depth battle with more direct control. While you are in one of these battles, the game is still progressing in real-time, so you'll only be doing the really important fights manually.

I think its a pretty solid evolution of the game. I did my first playthrough on easy just to learn the ins and outs and was able to ignore diplomacy even as a weak clan. I'm cranking up the difficulty for my next playthrough and I'm hoping I will have to rely heavily on alliances and coalitions.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What do you unlock from Survival Mode? I made it to like 60-something and got Yoshimoto and Kenshin, but now I'm just getting my rear end kicked.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think you unlock characters you haven't unlocked through story mode, but I haven't seen anything exclusive. The leaderboard challenges seem to unlock exclusive characters though. I got Goemon from the Chamber of RIches.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Completing each Survival Challenge mode thing gets you a character, you don't need an A/S or anything. Getting an S on Chamber of Death gets you Matzukaze which owns and also makes half the item drops useless unless you're really into min/maxing.

There isn't a point to the Survival tower other than cheevos and item farming. Higher up in the tower you can get rarer items that you can combine into a "perfect" rare if you're inclined. That's mostly only useful if the characters 5-star weapon has really bad itemization like Koshosho's.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What's S rank on chamber of Death? My last run was 1399, was I close?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What's S rank on chamber of Death? My last run was 1399, was I close?

1800+ I think. Some gamefaqs user said 1800 so that's what I aimed for :downs:

it's probably 1500 going off of their other marks.

Online rankings are really sweet because either I'm really good or no one is playing this game. Probably the second one.

The real question is: how much longer can Koei keep this up? SW4 and SW4-ii sold like garbage, what will it take for koei to make a not-warriors game?

edit: let's make this post massive: I can't get my DS4 to work with DW8:CE on steam (win10). The controls are all fucky and when I go into options to change them the game freezes. Does anyone know what is going on

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 5, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mortimer posted:

The real question is: how much longer can Koei keep this up? SW4 and SW4-ii sold like garbage, what will it take for koei to make a not-warriors game?

They make one every time Kou Shibusawa claws his way out of the basement with a crazed look in his eye, holding between his teeth a flash drive that contains a completed game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mortimer posted:

edit: let's make this post massive: I can't get my DS4 to work with DW8:CE on steam (win10). The controls are all fucky and when I go into options to change them the game freezes. Does anyone know what is going on

Tecmo-Koei releases a lot of not-warriors games though? I mean they're not all good but recently they've done:
Yoru no Nai Kuni, Ninja Gaiden Z, various Atelier games, Nobunaga's Ambition, Tokiden, Fatal Frame, ect.

Also they have a ton of different Warriors franchises and at least some of them do quite well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mortimer posted:

did they?

i mean im not an expert here, but it seems to me that the fact that they have the money to bring everything here instead of it staying in japan is a sign that koei is doing well

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
And they are successful enough that Nintendo and Square Enix agreed to make Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes with them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mortimer posted:

You're falling into the same cliche trap of assuming a company is dead because one series isn't doing well.

Samurai sells like poo poo because it's probably the least popular of their franchise, especially outside of Japan. As far as we know, Hyrule Warriors did incredible for being a Warriors exclusive on the least popular home console (Something like 1+ million which no one expected).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
We didn't even get SW3XL or SW3E. They might not have enough to dub every expansion anymore, but at least they're localizing it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sorry, I meant Omega Force, not Koei specifically. Koei makes a lot of stuff, Omega Force has one engine they keep updating occasionally.

Davincie posted:

did they?

i mean im not an expert here, but it seems to me that the fact that they have the money to bring everything here instead of it staying in japan is a sign that koei is doing well

They don't have the money to re-dub the games anymore, you be the judge

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mortimer posted:

They don't have the money to re-dub the games anymore, you be the judge

Maybe they made the smart financial decision and crunched the numbers that a dub wouldn't be worth getting the small number of people outside of the niche group they're in. A dub is a poo poo ton of money for a game studio like Tecmo.

Also Chicken Little of you to say when they're literally bringing over a dubbed Warriors game in less than a month.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tecmo Koei just dubbed a Nobunaga's Ambition game, arguably the most niche possible series of the games they put out in the West.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Sorry, I meant Omega Force, not Koei specifically. Koei makes a lot of stuff, Omega Force has one engine they keep updating occasionally.

Omega Force also worked on Toukiden and are working on Attack on Titan as we speak.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
From all of the different games being made by them I'd say they're probably doing the best they've ever done. At least, that's what'd I assume just by seeing how many games they're coming out with.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ah yeah AoT nevermind

Getting neat licenses has probably saved them/given them a butt-ton of money

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm normally fine with dubs, but the Musou games really don't need them. They're popcorn action flick versions of the Three Kingdoms period and the Warring States period. The actual dialogue doesn't matter as long as people are yelling and over acting excitedly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PureRok posted:

From all of the different games being made by them I'd say they're probably doing the best they've ever done. At least, that's what'd I assume just by seeing how many games they're coming out with.

It's really worth noting how absurdly big their IPs are these days.

They've had Gundam, One PIece, Fist of the North Star, Zelda, Dragon Warrior and now Attack on Titan. They're being given some really high-profile stuff to work with. They're probably turning a profit just off their licensed games alone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Whoever designed the Thriller Bark level in PW3 is one of history's greatest monsters. First the fog, then everything about fighting Oars and Moria.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpAtom posted:

It's really worth noting how absurdly big their IPs are these days.

They've had Gundam, One PIece, Fist of the North Star, Zelda, Dragon Warrior and now Attack on Titan. They're being given some really high-profile stuff to work with. They're probably turning a profit just off their licensed games alone.

I can't find the interview right now, but Tecmo Koei has admitted that the main Warriors franchises are on a downturn and that's why they're focusing so hard on these licensed games. I imagine DQ Heroes is going to be a big new franchise for them in the future if they're already announcing sequels to the original before said original even comes Stateside.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While I probably still wouldn't use it, Warriors games are one of the few that genuinely benefit from having a dub since I'm often too busy doing stuff to read the dialogue boxes at the bottom of the screen then end up failing a stage because someone retreating was a defeat condition but not part of an active mission and I wasn't paying attention. :sweatdrop:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 5, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

While I probably still wouldn't use it, Warriors games are one of the few that genuinely benefit from having a dub since I'm often too busy doing stuff to read the dialogue boxes at the bottom of the screen then end up failing a stage because someone retreating was a defeat condition but not part of an active mission and I wasn't paying attention. :sweatdrop:

I'm assuming that's why Samurai 4-2 by default pauses the screen whenever a new objective pops up.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Policenaut posted:

Tecmo Koei just dubbed a Nobunaga's Ambition game, arguably the most niche possible series of the games they put out in the West.
I really recommend Sphere of Influence to anybody that is a fan of the series. It's familiar yet new at the same time. Pretty damned enjoyable.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Sindai posted:

Whoever designed the Thriller Bark level in PW3 is one of history's greatest monsters. First the fog, then everything about fighting Oars and Moria.

They wanted the player to really understand the effect of Negative Hollow on a personal level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is there any other character that uses Tashigi tokens, because I have constant 99 and running low on everything else.